Multi use apple press/grinder

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Multi use apple press/grinder

Post by bearriver »

Its too difficult figuring out how to respectfully post a picture on this website after reading the picture tutorials that have been provided to you?

Damn... I don't even know what to say to that, other than you should try going back and reading it again. :wtf: :silent:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Thumper, there's also the problem of losing the content. It's inevitable that over time Photobucket, Flikr, etc. images become unavailable to the post/thread sometimes causing the textual content to lose its meaning. It's really not that difficult to learn to do an upload.

Rad - in the words of Frank Castanza, "serenity now, serenity now, ...".
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have to say it is a bit different to load a picture directly to HD but it only took me a few minutes to figure it out. If you can figure out the process to sign up for HD it shouldn't be hard to figure out uploading a picture.
Now thumper, nice grinder, I was considering making one using an oak rolling pin and an old electric wheel chair motor. Anybody know if a smaller diameter wheel might cause problems? I will probably wind up going the harbor freight route but just kind of thinking out loud. I've had these motors sitting around for a few years now and it seems a shame not to use them for something plus since they are 24V they have the potential to be used anywhere.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

The forum is run by certain guidelines among which is the premise that, as a member, you must do a certain amount of reading. Please! Read! Apparantly you disregard or misunderstand those rules so I will again give you the exact information for your enlightenment.

The forum has supplied you with Rules, Notifications and Helpful hints. Under that heading and subsidized by the Moderator:Forum Rules, stands the heading Posting Pictures, and under that stands a posting by stoker, Wed., January 23, 2008 which outlines the proper way to post a picture. It works, I've thanked the gentleman profusely, and it works. Since there is no way to respond to this part of the rules, they are gospel. Live with it.

I really think we're getting off subject here, and I will not be a part of flaming in any way. If you want to argue with other computer people go to a website that specializes in that. This is a home distilling website. Let's talk whiskey!
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Cranky, I can't see where a smaller diameter roller would cause problems if the speed was right. I found out in a hurry though that running the roller at 3300rpm was a disaster! And as Jimbo pointed out, spashguards or something might be needed. My cylinder is 4 1/2" in diameter, the big pulley is 10 1/2" and the motor take off is as I said, 3300rpm. I have a pusher that follows the apples almost down to the roller, and it fits the opening closely. This keeps most of the pumice down - into the bucket.

I apologize for showing this device in an unsafe condition. I wanted to photograph the motorized feature for clarity. I'm doing a bit of sheet metal work, and making a guard now.

On a side note, I previously built a $10.00 hydralic cider press. If any of you who would like to see it, I'll email it to you. Love calvados!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You might want to look for a 1725 RPM motor. Old motors can be found everywhere, even an old washing machine. The one I dug out of my motor box is ancient, had a cloth wrapped cord, lol, 1725 rpm, 1/3 HP and no problems. You can see the pulley ratio Im using here, maybe 2:1? Speed seems about perfect, no problems chewing through the apples. http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm thinking that's part of the beauty of using a D/C motor Vs A/C, With the control box or even a simple rheostat or controller I should be able to run it at whatever RPM I want so I could get it dialed in perfectly and the motors should have lots of torque.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Jimbo, that looks like an old washing machine motor. I have one that looks identical running my planer. A slower motor would have been better logistically for sure, but I had a bunch of 1/3 horse, 3300rpm motors laying around that came out of an old punch card system that was updated to computers at the place where I used to work.

I like your one piece setup. I built my press first with the idea that I would grind apples with a food processor. Big mistake. The processor is a lousy tool for the job. The new grinder does in 5 minutes what a food processor does in an hour. Live and learn.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

thumper123 wrote: I like your one piece setup. I built my press first with the idea that I would grind apples with a food processor. Big mistake. The processor is a lousy tool for the job. The new grinder does in 5 minutes what a food processor does in an hour. Live and learn.
It depends on how it's used and where it's used as there are trade-offs. When I first started doing this I borrowed a one set-up stainless steel grinder/press which worked great but it was heavy and I took it out to the islands on my boat which made it difficult. Also if you have your operation/work area with multiple people sometimes the pressing and grinding can slow things down if you can't run them both at the same time. For me separating them made transportation and workstations easier.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

thumper123 wrote:The forum has supplied you with Rules, Notifications and Helpful hints. Under that heading and subsidized by the Moderator:Forum Rules, stands the heading Posting Pictures, and under that stands a posting by stoker, Wed., January 23, 2008 which outlines the proper way to post a picture. It works, I've thanked the gentleman profusely, and it works. Since there is no way to respond to this part of the rules, they are gospel. Live with it.
Not to continue off topic but your pictures are of an apple grinder so I think this is on topic. You have stated twice that posting pictures works and you understand how to do it yet you chose to post an external link instead of the pictures. Like others have already pointed out, pictures on external links could potentially harm peoples computers or disappear over time. regardless of external links being allowed or not, isn't it just better to post your pictures directly instead of make members click on an external link to see them?
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

thumper123 wrote: On a side note, I previously built a $10.00 hydralic cider press. If any of you who would like to see it, I'll email it to you. Love calvados!

I'd like to see this. As it's still closely related to the OP topic, how 'bout sharing it here?

you could even post the pics directly so as to hopefully end all this off topic complaining.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Here it is Tap, all ten dollars worth. The frame is pressure treated yellow pine - just junk I had laying around. However, you will notice that no PT comes in contact with the juice. Arsenic - yuk! The press board is glued up white pine joined with epoxy and dowel pins. The basket is red oak. The strapping is galvanized, the screws brass, and that's where I spent the tenner. The canvas sack is from a leaf blower attachment I never used, and the round on top of it (not shown) I sliced off an 11" maple tree and reenforced it wth threaded rod. The jack is twelve ton, and I horse it right to its maximum. Nothing ven creaks. After pressing, the pumice just about bone dry

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I ran the first 12 gallons before the holidays and just getting over being sick I am currently running the last six gallons of apple pomace. It is really running slow and I don't think I am going get much out of it but it's still trickly out time will tell!
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

I know you use only fermented apple mash/cider with no sugar, so I can just bet your final product will be delicious. I think your practice of doing so is right on. If your net product is a little skimpy - who cares, as long as it's good. I personally don't like the addition of processed sugar to my calvados.

I was in a resturant in Austria last year that served "apple schnapps" with every meal. Thier laws there say it's okay to serve alcoholic drinks that they make on premises. It was pretty wild. The stuff was moonshine in every sense of the word. On the other hand, I had occasion last fall to sample the personal apple product of the head distiller at one of our local craft distilleries. It was barrel strength at 122.6 proof and had been aged for only a year on very slightly charred white oak. No supplementary sugar had been added, and it had been distilled on his personal home equipment. I've never tasted better.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

thumper123 wrote: If your net product is a little skimpy - who cares, as long as it's good. I personally don't like the addition of processed sugar to my calvados.
Right on brother. In fact, if you add sugar, its no longer Calvados. As far as skimpy yield, just gotta squish more apples. It takes (me) about 1050 lbs of apples to fill a 5 gal barrel with 60%. Your results may vary.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Here is my press. Frame is barn timbers I planed smooth, screw is 1" acme thread from a scaffolding leveling leg. Drip pan and press plates are cut from food grade stock from grainger. This year I plan to replace the basket with a stainless one with 1/4" holes. Kept blowing out pressing bags. White sheets work well but have to be hosed off after each press which is a pita. Picked up an apple grinder at a sale for 80 $, need to get it hooked to a motor so for now I grind with a meat grinder and lard plate.
uploadfromtaptalk1424795229382.jpg
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

uploadfromtaptalk1424795464437.jpg
Press plates and pan
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

I got a canvas bag courtesy of the US Postal Service. Can't blow that sucker out with my 12 ton jack.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice looking set-up Thumper, happy pressing!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Going to have limited access this afternoon through the weekend. Going to press apples from the two orchards on Stuart Island. This year is a bumper crop as we brought bees in to pollinate the trees and thinned them a bit better so lots of apples figuring on around 70 gallons of cider. Unfortunately I have a couple trips planned so will not save the pomace this year as I just don't have time to deal with it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Wow bushman, that sound so nice. Makes me wish I knew someone with an orchard instead of the random scrounging I've been doing. I did take a step today to try to step up my process a bit and go faster but it will still be a process. I always look forward to you apple posts, too bad about the pomace.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got home after a weekend out at the cabin in the San Juan's making apple cider and apple sauce. We set up Friday night and worked a full day on Saturday making 54 gallons of apple cider. They have 2 orchards and we only picked off of 3 trees. Any one want apples? Sunday (today we just cleaned up and enjoyed the good weather. Below I will post a few pictures of this last weekend.
The press
The press
The grinder/wood chipper
The grinder/wood chipper
Attachments
cleaning the apples
cleaning the apples
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

54 gallons of apple cider and 4 gallons of apple/pear
54 gallons of apple cider and 4 gallons of apple/pear
The lower orchard
The lower orchard
The upper orchard
The upper orchard
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The third picture shows a midden where the indians left shells, bones, etc. I need to plan a weekend and do some excavating to see what I can find.
Our cabin
Our cabin
Showing how plentiful the trees are
Showing how plentiful the trees are
Walking around the 40 acres the depression is made by the indians a long time ago called a midden, a lot of them on the property.
Walking around the 40 acres the depression is made by the indians a long time ago called a midden, a lot of them on the property.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Great pictures Bushman! :thumbup: Now my wife is pissed at me because you manage to do in one weekend what it takes me months to do.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks Cranky, I might go back in 2 weeks but not sure what I will do with all the apples. I keep thinking of members here, hate to see all those apples go to waste.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I hate to see anything going to waste but sometimes you just can't keep up. My understanding of the island is it is only accessible by boat which kind of makes hauling apples home a problem, doesn't it? I already missed 5 of my normal trees because I either couldn't get to them or didn't get to them in time. There is one more that is actually easy to reach but further away from me and I will likely miss it because I just don't have time to drive out there.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Boat or plane, no ferry service. It takes me 1.5 hours from my boat moorage to get there but costs me nothing extra once there. Makes the process more expensive but if you love boating and you love the island as much as I do it's all about the experience.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sound wonderful.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Spent the day cleaning my still and getting my next fermentation going with the backset. Made just a little over 2 gallons of apple pie. Will star a 10 gallon fermentation of the apple juice for brandy tomorrow.