Multi use apple press/grinder

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Multi use apple press/grinder

Post by cranky »

I was looking at the picture of the tree and wondering what types of apples they are. Do you Know the varieties? I find as I an chasing apples around the countryside I am becoming somewhat of an apple connoisseur and my palate is getting to where I am able to taste and appreciate all the differences in the apple varieties. I also find myself noticing things like the one tree is a fairly prolific large red spur bearing tree.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I don't know what type those are but they look like an Arkansas black. we picked from 3 different variety trees and blended them for the apple juice.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

They do look a lot like Arkansas Blacks but it can be so hard to identify specific varieties. My wife wants me to make a grafted free that's half black apples and half white, You reminded me of the black I found last year, I might have to go take a look to see how it did this year. That particular one has a unique flavor that could add something nice to a cider.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have one of those mulchers to use for apples but I was a but worried about juice getting into the motor or the electrics. No problems?
Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

No problems Geoff, I made 30 gallons of hard cider this year using the same mulcher as a scratter. Hoses clean, motor is sealed.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

The Baker wrote:I have one of those mulchers to use for apples but I was a but worried about juice getting into the motor or the electrics. No problems?
Geoff
No problems here. Just don't drop the press jack handle into the chute :wink:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The Baker wrote:I have one of those mulchers to use for apples but I was a but worried about juice getting into the motor or the electrics. No problems?
Geoff
I rinse mine down after I am done and it's going to sit for a prolong period, I then dry it and wipe down with cooking oil to prevent rusting.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, everyone!
If I get a chance at apples this year I will try the mulcher.
Geoff
The Baker
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I know this is an old thread but I'm about to build my own fruit press I don't get enough apples but it sure would have been handy having when I did that truck load of pineapples. I get alot of large batches of free fruit and ferment on the pulp because of all of the challenges of working without a press. I plan on using a twenty ton air over hydraulic jack to power it has anyone else ever tried it this way.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Sunshineer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm I know this is an old thread but I'm about to build my own fruit press I don't get enough apples but it sure would have been handy having when I did that truck load of pineapples. I get alot of large batches of free fruit and ferment on the pulp because of all of the challenges of working without a press. I plan on using a twenty ton air over hydraulic jack to power it has anyone else ever tried it this way.
Check out the index for this forum, at least one thread on presses.

Geoff
The Baker
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Geoff my friend I did that's why I posted this thread is full of great information thanks to all who have contributed.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Sunshineer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm I plan on using a twenty ton air over hydraulic jack to power it has anyone else ever tried it this way.
That's exactly what I plan to do when I upgrade mine. I saw a video on youtube that used one.
Last edited by cranky on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Guess it's true great minds think alike.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Bushman wrote: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am Another view of my work conditions.
image.jpg
Bushman, I've been reading your post(s) and I sure hope your "working conditions" have approved over the years, lol... Keep on Stillin...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Dutch41 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 am
Bushman wrote: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am Another view of my work conditions.
image.jpg
Bushman, I've been reading your post(s) and I sure hope your "working conditions" have approved over the years, lol... Keep on Stillin...
Bigger boat to sleep in while on the island.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Got my new grinder that I purchased from Latvia. Really impressed by how well built it is, quiet, and good safety features.
F5450B92-D360-45B9-9103-BE7BCEF296AE.jpeg
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

That looks interesting- where did you find that listed?

Just trimmed the apple trees this past weekend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Soft batch wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am That looks interesting- where did you find that listed?

Just trimmed the apple trees this past weekend
Not cheap but compared to the other commercial crushers it’s a great price plus it is easy to clean.
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

Bushman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 am Got my new grinder that I purchased from Latvia. Really impressed by how well built it is, quiet, and good safety features.
Very interesting video! So it pulverizes seeds, stems, and all. Would this not add "off" flavors into a brandy? I've always heard the seeds of apples aren't the best to have in your wine for flavor. I understand grape stems are a part of "Grappa" but aside from that I would think seeds/stems are bad. Is this an incorrect assumption on my part?

Also, out of curiosity, aside from creating wine/spirits why would anyone want to pulverize seeds, stems, and all? Just wasn't sure who the target audience was for the video.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I’ve made apple cider for over 10 years and never removed seeds or stems when crushing had never experienced off flavors as I am pressing the juice through a paint cloth lined inside a turkey basket.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BamaHawk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm
Bushman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 am Got my new grinder that I purchased from Latvia. Really impressed by how well built it is, quiet, and good safety features.
Very interesting video! So it pulverizes seeds, stems, and all. Would this not add "off" flavors into a brandy? I've always heard the seeds of apples aren't the best to have in your wine for flavor. I understand grape stems are a part of "Grappa" but aside from that I would think seeds/stems are bad. Is this an incorrect assumption on my part?

Also, out of curiosity, aside from creating wine/spirits why would anyone want to pulverize seeds, stems, and all? Just wasn't sure who the target audience was for the video.
I take pains to not break seeds but many people don't. Does it matter? I don't know for certain but not fermenting on the pulp largely prevents problems from seeds. Few people, including commercial producers feel the need to core or de-stem apples prior to pressing.

From what I see of the design it seems to grate the apples more than pulverize them which some say is the ideal way do it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cranky wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:05 pm
BamaHawk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm

I take pains to not break seeds but many people don't. Does it matter? I don't know for certain but not fermenting on the pulp largely prevents problems from seeds. Few people, including commercial producers feel the need to core or de-stem apples prior to pressing.

From what I see of the design it seems to grate the apples more than pulverize them which some say is the ideal way do it.
:thumbup: Cranky now that I have the machine I am really impressed with how well it is built. I also agree when I fermented with the on the pulp the taste just wasn’t there. Also with the amount you and I crush it would take forever to take out the seeds and stems.
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

I looked it up on Amazon and the ESE-018 looks really cool bit it's out of my price range for now. I may decide otherwise this fall after apple season but for right now I'll just admire y'alls cool toys.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

BamaHawk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:07 pm I looked it up on Amazon and the ESE-018 looks really cool bit it's out of my price range for now. I may decide otherwise this fall after apple season but for right now I'll just admire y'alls cool toys.
We divided the cost 4 ways, our two adult children and my brother and sister in law.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:19 pm :thumbup: Cranky now that I have the machine I am really impressed with how well it is built. I also agree when I fermented with the on the pulp the taste just wasn’t there. Also with the amount you and I crush it would take forever to take out the seeds and stems.
It certainly looks well built. I'm jealous.

I'd say it would be downright impossible to remove the stems and seeds from the amount we do...at least before the apples rotted :lol: Being able to grind whole apples with little to no prep is a huge plus. I'm curious if it can eat a half pounder whole. Does it look like it could take one of those giant store bought Honeycrisps whole? The apples I pick in November/December run about that size.
Last edited by cranky on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bushman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:55 am Not cheap but compared to the other commercial crushers it’s a great price plus it is easy to clean.
That looks very handy if you have a suitable press to go with it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pm
Bushman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:55 am Not cheap but compared to the other commercial crushers it’s a great price plus it is easy to clean.
That looks very handy if you have a suitable press to go with it.
Press is what I use at the beginning of this thread. I am replacing the wood chipper I used in the past. The chipper worked ok but took time to clean and we could not feed the apples whole so we spent a lot of time slicing.

Cranky the opening looks to be about 3.5” diameter. Will probably take most apples.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Heading out to the farm in the San Juan Islands to process apples in the two orchards. Was told they were loaded. Heading out on Thursday so we will see what we get done in 3 days.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got home from four days at the San Juan Island farm. Spend two half days processing apples into cider and put up. 73 gallons. This brings my yearly total to 137 gallons. The rest of the time was spent visiting and doing odd jobs that needed done.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:09 pm Just got home from four days at the San Juan Island farm. Spend two half days processing apples into cider and put up. 73 gallons. This brings my yearly total to 137 gallons. The rest of the time was spent visiting and doing odd jobs that needed done.
That's a great apple season Bushman :thumbup: I might need to start saving up for one of those grinders.