Hijack my thread

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Hijack my thread

Post by jedneck »

And winters is over. Heard the first spring peeper frog tonite. Time to get malting, mashing and a stilling.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Raked the yard ..Mowed the grass ...Fed and mulched the roses ..
Plenty of red birds this year ..Bluejays are not that common anymore ..
2.5" of rain yesterday and today ..Spring is beautiful indeed. :D
Yep, time to put the double bubble to work ..Winter modifications and cleaning is all done ..
Its on! :clap:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

jedneck wrote:And winters is over. Heard the first spring peeper frog tonite. Time to get malting, mashing and a stilling.

Isn't that just the sweetest sound ever!? I usually just stop dead in my track each year when I first hear it and I just smile from ear to ear.

On a side note that's really interesting that they just started where your at. I'm just about 5 or 6 hrs south of you and they started here about 3 weeks ago!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
rnw349
Bootlegger

Post by rnw349 »

I'm tapering off feeding my cows. Yay!!!!! Another month be enough grass, won't need any more hay.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rnw349 wrote:I'm tapering off feeding my cows. Yay!!!!! Another month be enough grass, won't need any more hay.
We are still feeding hay . The cows that have calved are nursing and the ones that haven't need all the food they can get late term . After those calves get a week old they start winding in a lot of hay on their own . We are looking at feeding hay to mid May unless we have an exceptional season .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

spring has sprung. its now taps aff. the traditional Scottish first sun of the year worship.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

We've got an issue here it's even on the news. Lots of bluejays and robins but they're starving because there's no food. We have about 3ft of snow left covering everything, not nornal here. I've been firing loaves of bread off the back deck to help so I have a fair amount of birds in the back yard now. Got the kid to shovel more of the back deck off and put bread there too, at least a clear deck is easier to spot the bread than a snowbank. Dunno what they're gonna do for building a nest though, certainly no grass or twigs showing yet. :(

"Birds in the Maritimes are having trouble finding food due to the deep snow and frozen ground.

Dave Currie, president of the Nova Scotia Bird Society, says he's had lots of calls from people who've found dead or starving birds in their yards.

"The problem is that they have nowhere to go. The woods and the alder thickets and the normal breeding areas where these birds would be are still full of snow and it's impossible for them to find food because of the icy crust that's below the snow surface," said Currie.

"Also, it's just too far for them to get through that snow to get food."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3025444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Must be all the global warming :evil: :thumbdown:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My wife has been making gumbo all day today. Got home from work and the house smells awesome!! Probably making the neighbors jealous and hungry too :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

wife's had me on kitchen reno duty for over a month now. starting to look like i meant it now. hoping for new cabinets to show up next week. figgered out why tile setters get paid better than lawyers.
i better be gettin some pretty spectacular gumbo mysef after this...or i'm gonna be pissed.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

You can make goooood money layin tile. Been there and walked away with a fat pocket. If the quality is there most feel it is worth every penny.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thats why i did it myself. last time i hired a guy and it was such a shite job i figgered i'd do it on my own.
380sqft, goin rate is 7-8 bux a foot...so 2600 hundred. i'm at 12 hours and got 3 hour to grout and an hour to seal to go...thats damn near 200 an hour!
I don't get close to that with my day job, so may as well...besides, i actually got them all on the floor flat, level and smooth!
not sure the bursa sacs in my knees are ever going to be the same though...

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I am too cheap to pay somebody to do something I can do myself. New cabinets have been in for a few months now with temp counter tops, only holdup has been debating an island. I finally made a moc up of one the size I thought it should be and got the wife's approval, so now I need to make that and counter tops can be ordered. After that I have to convince her to my way of thinking on how complicated to do the coffered ceiling. I have a tendency to go a little over the top on such things and she needs to reign me in. For the floor I did a reclaimed antique oak hardwood with lots and lots of clearcoat to seal it and hidden vinyl under the cabinets just in case of a water leak.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i did a false coffer (2 1/4") to hide some wiring and got some 1/2" thick LED pot lights for it to provide better lighting. custom in some really nice speakers into them too. I thought it would give the appearance of lowering the ceiling being that it is 2 1/4 lower... but it actually gives the illusion of the ceiling being higher and more open. Go for it Cranky, it was a little complex but it's worth it i think in the end.
(cant finish the missing bits until the island fan and cabinets are in.)
whaddya think should i make the speakergrilles white to match or leave them black?
Attachments
IMG_0292 - Copy.JPG

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I would probably try to blend the the speakers in by painting them white to match. Nice job HDNB.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Gotta get this out in world somehow... So I finally go on Facebook last night and find a sea of friend requests from the last year or two. After adding those people I got to see the ever popular (and horrifying) wall that folks like to post their passing thoughts on.

The only post I found on there that didn't make me ashamed of the human race was from a fellow HD forum member. Go figure, right? It is a really lovely photo and poem made by that person. Unfortunately for some reason everybody else uses that board to post diarrhea of the mind.

See you in another couple years Facebook. Or not... :wave: (waves with one finger extended)
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

Do we really need more hijacking...plenty of that goin on in the world.

I hear the fish have been biting today and fishing is way more important than work....anyone wanna go?

Idk if I did this right lol
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Like violence in video games. It's a good place for it.

Fishing... Are you crazy!?! Fishing?? Roosevelt elk is still open! :problem:

Jeez...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Copper Thumper wrote:Do we really need more hijacking...plenty of that goin on in the world.

I hear the fish have been biting today and fishing is way more important than work....anyone wanna go?

Idk if I did this right lol
I'll go fishing with you.
Which do you prefer, cranking the generator or lighting the fuse.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Steve and I 12-11-15.jpg
They made it to the boat so into the grease!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Hey Cranky,I found it!
In honor of my first post hijacking (a resounding success)I comandeer this thread in the name of the Republic of Texas! Long live the republic!
Thursday,March 2 is Texas independence day. In honor of that glorious day in history(1836) I will be starting a ferment. Going with prickly pear cactus pads(nopales) as a sugarhead .15-20# pecan wood grilled nopales,20 gallon water ,30# sugar, some wild yeast from last years persimmons that is good to about 6% then 1118 to finish, nutes as needed, age on pecan wood splits
with a few TA&MU jalepeno seeds and 2 of the tunas(cactus fruit)6 months.

Yalls turn,hijack away!
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm actually glad to see this one back. I thought about reviving it a couple times and never did. Unfortunately I don't have anything to try to hijack with but I'm sure I will come up with something soon.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

cranky wrote:I'm actually glad to see this one back. I thought about reviving it a couple times and never did. Unfortunately I don't have anything to try to hijack with but I'm sure I will come up with something soon.
In a thread about hijacking a thread ,where your supposed to hijack the thread,not hijacking a thread IS hijacking the thread ! :thumbup:
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

jb-texshine wrote:
cranky wrote:I'm actually glad to see this one back. I thought about reviving it a couple times and never did. Unfortunately I don't have anything to try to hijack with but I'm sure I will come up with something soon.
In a thread about hijacking a thread ,where your supposed to hijack the thread,not hijacking a thread IS hijacking the thread ! :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got back from running to the store to get some cheese for spaghetti and a lottery ticket. The store was really busy and had all the checkout stands open but I still had to wait in line. While waiting I could here the coinstar machine running. As an ever hopeful treasure hunter and cheap bastard I always check the coin star as I walk by in case someone left something there. Sometimes I get a little bit of change and a couple times I have found some silver coins. Well by the time I finally got through the checkout the person at the coin star was long gone so I checked it out as I walked by and sure enough there was a coin left behind. I picked up the coin and seeing it was a dime and noticing It felt very light for a dime I glanced at the edge to see it was solid rather than two tone, which is always a good sign. When I got out to the car I took a closer look at it and sure enough it was a 1964 (silver) dime :ebiggrin: Better yet is is in almost mint condition, no way this coin was ever in circulation. Makes me wonder what else that person was feeding into that coinstar :think:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You know what pisses me off? Why the hell is a load of bread $4? I mean, really. Cost of production can not be that much.

I'm going to have to swing by the coin star on my way out now to see if I can afford my damn sandwich. Thanks cranky.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I also pay close attention to the coin racks behind the teller at the bank because I've read about people spotting real silver dollars and 50 cent pieces in them and the bank just treats them as regular money only worth face value :wink: I miss the days of coin slot machines because I used to frequently play 50 cent slots and find silver half dollars.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Once checked my change to find my 10 cents was in fact a 1787 shilling in very good condition, naturally its silver. Would have to be a story about how it got into circulation. 1788 marks the year Australia began to be colonized (and so a valued year here in coins) this coin obviously got from someone's collection into circulation and then from some shop to me. Its not the only interesting coin I've got that way but to me it is the most interesting, I'll see if I can find it for a happy snap
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Bought a Kubota tractor. Thinking of using an auger to stir corn slop.

tp
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Almost gots me a 5 gallon Alembic today for $100. Turns out his definition of new and 5 gallons stood for used and 5 liters. I don't mind it being used, but I wanted to make it a gin still and 5L ain't enough.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Saved up enough foreshots from 28 batches to do an all fores run. Good idea? :)