%&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: %&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Post by still_stirrin »

“Drier than a popcorn fart” here. Send the snow to the plains.

65*F by mid-afternoon….and I’m stuck in the house watching football!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

65!? Hell, I'd be in the shed in a t-shirt that's our spring time daily highs.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:09 am 20% chance of snow this coming Monday! :shock:
Well, there's 0% chance of rain, at least... all the better :wink:

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

We got a bout 11 inches (28cm) here at my place and it's currently 17°f. The wreckers and plow trucks will be busy all over the puget sound today cleaning up.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just checked looks like we are at about 15” but not positive as yesterday we had some strong winds from the Frazier Valley which created a few drifts over 2’. Currently we are at 9 F.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just came in from the 4th round of snow shoveling. (I figured I'd stay ahead of it this time rather than waiting until the end and having to deal with all the shit getting tracked into the cars and the house.) Supposed to start again this afternoon or evening, then again on Thursday.
Here in a bit, I gotta go shovel the Mother-in-law's driveway. Not sure why, she don't go anywhere.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Well it’s a blizzard here now. Just took 1.5 hrs to drive 11 miles. Bahh Humbug!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Warmed up from single digits to 20 F and it is now snowing again. If this keeps up through the night we will be close to two feet.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

We spent the holiday in leavenworth wWashington in a cabin right on the Wenatchee River. Went and did some snowmobiling, lots of snow. Well it snowed everywhere in western Washington while we were gone. Temperatures were 1 degree which is unusual. Anyway, after a 6 hour drive home, I had to get a fire going, and our pipes froze. After battling with the rats in the well house, I got a heater going, got the water back and doesn't seem to have any leaks. So all in all, it's been an interesting holiday!!
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

-40*C here. it's what we call "squeaky snow cold". no fresh stuff falling, too cold for that.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

HDNB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 am -40*C here. it's what we call "squeaky snow cold". no fresh stuff falling, too cold for that.
I believe minus forty degrees Fahrenheit is the only place it matches (minus forty degrees) Celsius.

Geoff
The Baker
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

HDNB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 am -40*C here. it's what we call "squeaky snow cold". no fresh stuff falling, too cold for that.
That's the throw a cup of water into the air and watch it crystallize cold!! Haven't felt temps like that since Dutch harbor during the opilio crab season!!
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The next round of snow is beginning to fall. They city got the main roads cleaned up pretty good today. We'll see what the night brings.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Our city got rid of all their snowplows all they do is sand the roads. The county keeps I-5 and the ramps clear. I am glad I have AWD but with this last fall I am probably looking at blowing through with the car with the height of the snow (close to 2’). Good thing I don’t have to go anywhere.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It's funny, I have the Jeep truck and when it snows Mrs Cranky won't let me drive it :roll: but our escape is 4wd and capable of handling what is usually thrown at us, although the other day the plows were running but not sanding and the roads were excessively slippery. Stopping was a bit challenging even with anti-lock brakes. I had to resort to the method of shifting into neutral at each stop and once had to ease against the curb to stop on a particularly slippery hill. I've never seen the roads that bad here but fortunately it should be gone by Sunday.

I did manage to get this pic of a single snowflake.
SNOWFLAKES 28 DEC 21 #9 - C.jpg
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Damned false spring again this year. I had ta cut the f@&$*lng grass today and my peach trees have buds now. Saturday is supposed to be 20F. Damned inconsiderate if you ask me.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

cranky wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:19 pm It's funny, I have the Jeep truck and when it snows Mrs Cranky won't let me drive it :roll: but our escape is 4wd and capable of handling what is usually thrown at us, although the other day the plows were running but not sanding and the roads were excessively slippery. Stopping was a bit challenging even with anti-lock brakes. I had to resort to the method of shifting into neutral at each stop and once had to ease against the curb to stop on a particularly slippery hill. I've never seen the roads that bad here but fortunately it should be gone by Sunday.

I did manage to get this pic of a single snowflake.
SNOWFLAKES 28 DEC 21 #9 - C.jpg
Pretty snowflake.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but anti-lock brakes don't allow you to stop better when it's slippery, they just let you stop evenly without sliding. If there's not enough traction to be had for stopping, then there's not enough traction... The only way to make things work better than that would be to add chains / studs / snow shoes.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I don’t think they delivered mail yesterday as we got a lot of new snow yesterday.
15A96B45-F3AD-4586-B8FC-8C401899C33A.jpeg
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Yonder wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:02 pm Damned false spring again this year. I had ta cut the f@&$*lng grass today and my peach trees have buds now. Saturday is supposed to be 20F. Damned inconsiderate if you ask me.
I'm with you. I have fresh leaves on the wild roses (weeds). Still no real snow here, they are calling for it overnight and into tomorrow. Hopefully it happens, big fires starting to happen.
:)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

We are having a few days of around forty degrees celsius.

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The Baker wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:13 pm We are having a few days of around forty degrees celsius.

Geoff
9* F. right now. Geoff am I correct in thinking for you to see snow you need to look at a picture? :lol:

Edit ; Midnight 2* F. and dropping.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not usual in the PNW that we have a white Christmas and it snows all the way through the New Years with freezing temps.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

We just got our first decent snow of the year, thankfully.

Now I have to get out the snowblower... :thumbdown:
:)
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

[/img]
Turkeys don’t like it much ether. <br />Sorry, but I have no idea how to rotate the image.
Turkeys don’t like it much ether.
Sorry, but I have no idea how to rotate the image.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

-17 here last night 50 to 60 mph winds expected Sunday
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Geoff am I correct in thinking for you to see snow you need to look at a picture? :lol:

Well, yes.

But about an hour and a half away there are mountains, with snow in the winter.

Lots of people go there to ski.

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We still have over a foot of snow but they are predicting winds up to 65 mph through the night. I will be lucky to wake up with power. With the heavy snow we have not had any mail delivery in the last three days.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:06 pm We still have over a foot of snow but they are predicting winds up to 65 mph through the night. I will be lucky to wake up with power. With the heavy snow we have not had any mail delivery in the last three days.
I told my wife, if we lose power the fermenter has generator priority. Current winds are low, but the advisory doesn't go into effect until 10pm.
I'll be glad to see the snow melt.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Record high of 77°F today, calling for snow tomorrow. Good ole Tennessee weather
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

SmokyMtn wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:00 pm Record high of 77°F today, calling for snow tomorrow. Good ole Tennessee weather
0.png