%&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: %&*($#%$ SNOW!!!!

Post by Bushman »

Yesterday was the first day since before Christmas that the temps were above freezing. We still have some snow on the ground but it is slowly disappearing.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It was good to hear all the ice falling off the roof yesterday afternoon.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Poured rain all day yesterday. Then around 9pm I look outside and my car is covered in snow again. This morning it's pouring rain again. Lol I'm done with snow. My wife is stuck home whenever we have snow. Her van just doesn't like going up the driveway when it's slick. I always tell her I want to trade it in on a subaru but she doesn't want to....
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

DRHillier wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:20 am Poured rain all day yesterday. Then around 9pm I look outside and my car is covered in snow again. This morning it's pouring rain again. Lol I'm done with snow. My wife is stuck home whenever we have snow. Her van just doesn't like going up the driveway when it's slick. I always tell her I want to trade it in on a subaru but she doesn't want to....
That’s why I moved south. Twice i damned near killed my self shoveling out and the next day it was 40. F* it, says I! I am done with snow-pocalypse. Unfortunately here it gets to be over 100. Can’t shovel that shit….
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

just reading about Virginia snow...thats kind of odd, no?

gotta be a shit time there if you dont have the equipment and experience to deal with it. i saw a photo of I-95 shut down and that looks like tuesday morning 65mph commuting weather here, but those folks were in a whole world of trouble, stuck on the road for 15 hours, abandoning cars trying to seek shelter.

biggest convention of the summer tire club i've seen...guess it's all what you are used to.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

changeshot015.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

When I lived in Edinburgh there was an enormous snow storm working its way south from the north of Scotland. The met office issued a blizzard warning for Edinburgh and Glasgow in 5 days time... then 4... then 3... on the 5th day, the snow hit and the M8 (motorway connecting Edinburgh and Scotland) froze... hard. There was about 4 miles of black ice. I had driven to Glasgow in the morning with a van full of equipment and had to drive the empty van back to Edinburgh in the afternoon. People were still trying to overtake and then pull in so I kept losing the generous stopping distance I had carved out for myself. Anytime you touched the brakes you just drifted sideways. The emergency services were out in full force. All leave was cancelled and the estimated cost to the economy was measured in the millions of pounds for one day (overtime salaries, medical assistance, clearing broken cars from the road, absent staff from work...)

A few days later, an official was being interviewed about the response and was asked why the roads, and especially the motorway, had not been gritted. He responded

"Well it took us somewhat by surprise".
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NormandieStill wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:36 am When I lived in Edinburgh there was an enormous snow storm working its way south from the north of Scotland. The met office issued a blizzard warning for Edinburgh and Glasgow in 5 days time... then 4... then 3... on the 5th day, the snow hit and the M8 (motorway connecting Edinburgh and Scotland) froze... hard. There was about 4 miles of black ice. I had driven to Glasgow in the morning with a van full of equipment and had to drive the empty van back to Edinburgh in the afternoon. People were still trying to overtake and then pull in so I kept losing the generous stopping distance I had carved out for myself. Anytime you touched the brakes you just drifted sideways. The emergency services were out in full force. All leave was cancelled and the estimated cost to the economy was measured in the millions of pounds for one day (overtime salaries, medical assistance, clearing broken cars from the road, absent staff from work...)

A few days later, an official was being interviewed about the response and was asked why the roads, and especially the motorway, had not been gritted. He responded

"Well it took us somewhat by surprise".
When I lived near Detroit the exact same thing happened every year with the first snow. They would spend an entire week warning us about the first big snowstorm of the year then when it arrive it was a complete surprise to the people who cleared the roads.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Yonder wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 pm
DRHillier wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:20 am Poured rain all day yesterday. Then around 9pm I look outside and my car is covered in snow again. This morning it's pouring rain again. Lol I'm done with snow. My wife is stuck home whenever we have snow. Her van just doesn't like going up the driveway when it's slick. I always tell her I want to trade it in on a subaru but she doesn't want to....
That’s why I moved south. Twice i damned near killed my self shoveling out and the next day it was 40. F* it, says I! I am done with snow-pocalypse. Unfortunately here it gets to be over 100. Can’t shovel that shit….
I will absolutely take snow over 100 degree weather. Lol I can't deal with that at all. 3 days of 90 and I'm heading somewhere north for a while. My chimney also decided to try and close itself up. The bird wire vent cap traps ash and closes itself up every so often. You can tell when you open the door of the wood stove smoke starts to roll out. I wasn't getting on the ladder in ice, so I grabbed my .22 and shot the vent a few times. It knocked the crap off pretty well. Lol the wife wasn't to impressed, but she's warm. So that's all that matters
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

DRHillier wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:18 pm
Yonder wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 pm
I will absolutely take snow over 100 degree weather. Lol I can't deal with that at all. 3 days of 90 and I'm heading somewhere north for a while. My chimney also decided to try and close itself up. The bird wire vent cap traps ash and closes itself up every so often. You can tell when you open the door of the wood stove smoke starts to roll out. I wasn't getting on the ladder in ice, so I grabbed my .22 and shot the vent a few times. It knocked the crap off pretty well. Lol the wife wasn't to impressed, but she's warm. So that's all that matters
.... Where there's a will, there's a way! :-D

+1 on snow vs 100F ! Come to Canada! ;-)
-- Rrmuf
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

All this talk, and the snow I have had to deal with (exactly one time this year) here just reminds me there are places in the world that don't have these stupid extremes... eternal spring ftmfw.
:)
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Squeezed in one last strip of some old apple wine when my reservoir unfroze enough. Mostly focused on small batches of gin inside, but itching to get some whiskey fermenting. Maybe some nice day in February (sigh).
20211231_185849_copy_567x1008.jpg
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

HDNB wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:03 am just reading about Virginia snow...thats kind of odd, no?
Grew up in VA, just outside of DC. Remember one (great) year as a kid walking from the top of a snow drift to the roof of our house. It was great building snow forts and tunneling. Parent’s weren’t impressed tho’.
So it was 23 here in TX yesterday AM. Today it was 75. Kind on neurotic. :crazy:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just when our snow was almost gone and the temps were warming up we got another 4” last night.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Bushman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:32 am Just when our snow was almost gone and the temps were warming up we got another 4” last night.
Same here. I need to get out and get the tractor running and clean the drive (it is half a mile long). Hope the diesel starts.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Mine is all gone :D stayed on the ground a week, then it warmed up and started raining and the next day it was gone.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Went from shoveling snow, to bailing water, and dodging potholes, and mud slides.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like we had a light dusting yesterday and a couple more inches last night. Where is spring!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

-14C in the morning. Lotta snow fell during the week... March 31, 2022...

har druckit för mycket
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am currently in Hawaii where it is over 80 F. Head home on the 4th of April not looking forward to wearing long pants and sweatshirts again.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:40 am I am currently in Hawaii where it is over 80 F. Head home on the 4th of April not looking forward to wearing long pants and sweatshirts again.
It's been mild here. Just finished mowing the lawn in a tee shirt and jeans.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

We just had a week of high (20-25C) temps and all the early flowering bushes have blossomed... and now we're looking at a couple of mornings of frost and even some snow. Really hoping the flowers hold up better than last year. I was hoping to make some brandy this year.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:27 pm It's been mild here. Just finished mowing the lawn in a tee shirt and jeans.
He-he... I run in a t-shirt and shorts for my workouts along the forest road. But meanwhile our lawn is under a meter layer of snow.
NormandieStill wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:52 pm Really hoping the flowers hold up better than last year. I was hoping to make some brandy this year.
Keeping my fingers crossed for that!

har druckit för mycket
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Currently 26 F and at least 6” of new snow!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Ugh I feel for ya Bushman. It snowed for 4 days straight last week during which a major crash and spill on the interstate left the freeway a parking lot for 5 hours.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

yakattack wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:58 pm
bentstick wrote:You must be close my neck of the woods Yak ,we still have -4 f and wind chill is -15 f

Its not really a secret where I live. Were the auto city of Canada. And the biggest border crossing between Michigan and ontario

Where bouts you located. Approx if your not willing to name the city.
I was a machinist for 30 years in oldcastle.
I know exactly where u are🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

As an expat canadian now living in south africa, you can keep the d@#$ snow.
28⁰C bright sunshine. Pool at 27⁰C
Cold beer in hand.
Not a snowflake in sight.
Life's not for sissies here. :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Love the seasons. Winter is great if you know how to dress. Nothing like flying 120 mph across a lake where the whiskey and fishing hole await
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Bushman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:39 am Currently 26 F and at least 6” of new snow!
That would be 3 hours of a nice snow this side of the mountains Bushy, but I feel your pain. I lived in Seattle 1981-1992. Snow removal equipment was unheard of, and 6 inches would shut the city down for days. Heat wave here with a high of 18, tomorrow a low of -11 Fahrenheit (-24C). Thursday high of 5 F.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Stopped snowing around a foot on the ground.