Hoochy's experimental CM/LM column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hoochy's experimental CM/LM column

Post by captainshooch »

It all started one day when I asked myself, what the change in ABV is between plates on a column. I decided to build something that might help answer the question and what follows is my trials and tests with a 6 plate bubble cap column.

First I fabricated some collection cups.
035.jpg
Then I drilled the bubble "tees" to accept a collection manifold
009.jpg

Then I assembled a collection manifold with Stainless steel tubing and Sawage Lock fittings
043.jpg
The plates, a 4" bubble cap assembly" were rearranged as to have the downcomer located in the center of the plate with a collection cup under each downcomer.
047.jpg
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hoochy's experimental CM/LM column

Post by captainshooch »

I ran this set up and soon decided to add more mods to make it better. I replaced all the inexpensive thermometers with Vernier thermoprobes and Logger Pro 3 software to monitor 8 temps, 1 at boiler 2 thru 7 were plates 1 thru 6 and Temp 8 the top of the "u" bend above the Deph. This is a sample graph of the results from that run and I hope to make another run really soon with good temps and ABV per plate.
vernier run 2 001.jpg
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

As far as ABV and plate relationship, I find that most of the increase in ABV occurs in the lower 3 or 4 plates, then the change per plate above that is smaller and smaller. There is still a lot to be tested, and I will do my best to keep you up to date.
Hoochy
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

That's looking good..
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

That's a very cool piece of equipment, but if those are swagelock fitting they probably have a neoprene o-ring at each connection. I'm not trying to be an ass, just concerned for your safety.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

No worries firewater69 Swage Lock are stainless steel on stainless steel compression style fittings, no neoprene there :thumbup:
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Like the research, interesting to hear the most increase happens in plates 3-4.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

So here are some results from the first configuration
The first run results showed:
plate 6 90 ABV
plate 5 80 ABV
plate 4 60 ABV
plate 3 50 ABV
plate 2 41 ABV
plate 1 36 ABV
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

It is a challenge trying to set up everything for a perfect run, where everything is tuned in just right, but I am confident that if I keep messing with it I will get everything set just right for a run, and I will document it and post it as soon as possible.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Very interesting stuff you got going on Cap, love the flute, I hope to build one soon. I'll be following your thread. Keep up the good work.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

You da man capt :thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

But those numbers were from the moment that you took the readings, and if you waited the lower plates abv would rise right? What was the boiler charge?

I've never run a flute. I just love to learn.

Goddam beauty of a set up you got there.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

The boiler charge was at 10% I collected 200 mils from each plate for those abv's and that was the first run, without the modifications. The abv per plate is expected to drop as the run progresses and the lower plates more rapidly and is why fogging on the lower galsses is a good indicator the run will soon be over. The temp graph above shows how more stable in temp the uppers plates were compared to the lower ones.

Hoochy
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Good stuff Hoochy, I cant wait to see where this goes. Looks like your doing a lot of research and exerting a lot of effort and cost to help other members fully understand how plated f columns work.

I look forward to your next posts.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

More than happy to share emptyglass. Others have contributed and is just my turn to give back.

Here is a simple summary about how I play with this rig. The boiler is charged with a 10% wash, brought to temperature and 100 mils of fores and 300 or so mils of heads is collected through the Deph. and out of the top "u" bend into the first product condenser and eventually into the parrot. The column is then placed in full reflux for approximately 15 to 20 minutes and collection begins through the collection manifold. Normally pull around to 300 mils for each plate to check on a ABV and temperature and it is done at the early stages of the run and near the beginning of the hearts as this is the fraction that we are more concerned with. This allows me to do several samplings of each plate while in the hearts.

Soon as a wash finishes I will be doing another test, with a temperature graph. Should be a fun run.
Hoochy
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Very interesting thread. Im new to flutes, did 5 runs so far on a new 2 plate setup. Some questions.....

You mention leaving the defleg water off and pulling fores and heads pot style. Then going into reflux for the run? Is that typical for flutes? I went the other way, doing 100% reflux for a few minutes to stack up the first crap that boils off (aldehydes, acetone etc) in the column, and then closed off the defleg a bit to let it start flowing up into the product condensor. Is that incorrect?

Is it coincidence that you started collecting tails when the first plate window fogged, or is that your indication that tails have started? For tails I noticed the vapor temp at the output shoots up and the stream trails off to real slow. At that point I closed down the defleg and ran pot mode for tails. Seem right?

Im still trying to wrap my head around the fluid dynamics that happens in a reflux still like this. Which components are first to vaporize, first to condense on teh defleg, which hang out on the plates, fractions on different plates and how heads/tails are compressed. Any words of wisdom from the flute guys here on this fluid mechanics is much appreciated
Last edited by Jimbo on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

Very cool... :egeek:
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Wow cpt, very cool build! I am excited to see how this evolves. Just out of curiosity, I assume you can only take very small quick samples off of the collection cups so you don't lose pressure and dump the upper plates, is that right or am I over complicating this?
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Sorry jimbo, meant to say to adjust water flow thru the deph for a slow, drip drip collection of fores and heads.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

If you shut it off completely and run in quazi pot style you will lose the ability to compress the bad stuff at the top.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Yes the first plate fogging is a great indicator that tails are on the way if not already starting to smear up the column, good time to switch jars and keep a good eye ...and the abv will start to drop faster whan this is happening.on a 4 pkate, hearts run 93 to 88, then is usually tails
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Jimbo congrats on the new plated column and welcome to the plated club,Captin is spot on,his column and mine run almost Identical, he And I have talk a few times on the ph and it is amazing how 2 totaly diferent stills can run with almost the same exact numbers and volumes,you will amazed once you get it down pat which should not take long they are easy to learn! :thumbup:
It is what you make it
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

captainshooch wrote:It all started one day when I asked myself, what the change in ABV is between plates on a column. I decided to build something that might help answer the question...]
Very impressive, and inspiring, Captain. I hope a plated column is out there on my horizon somewhere, I love following these threads to learn more about them. Using this thing as an experimental platform and explaining the results really helps me understand what is going on in there. Thanks for sharing the info and the photos!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Glad to help anyway I can Michigan. If you ever converted from propane to electric, and seen how great it is, hang on when you start with plated columns. Is gonna be a fun ride I am sureyou will enjoy :D
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Very nice ..Interesting ...Very good thread.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

captainshooch wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am
Hey Captainshooch,
I know this is a crazy old thread, but im curious now that you've a ton of time with this if you'd change anything on the build? Also, curious if you've done the same experiment with a boiler charged with 40% low wines? If so what was the abv coming off the plates?

Thanks!
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hoochy did other stuff in other places, he also did temps of spirit on each plate, he hasn't been around for a while , you may be waiting for an answer for a fair while.
Here is a photo of one of his later rigs, he was working on this last I chatted with him.
20220901_000728.jpg
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Fair enough, thanks

I saw that on the post a pic of your rig thread, very cool!
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.