Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by bitter »

I'm ran my 200 liter ffv on July 2 st

Got almost 65 percent take so just over 14 to 15 liters of good stuff at azeotrope.

As soon as I could detect a change from perfectly clean I went to a tails jug.

Wineos is cleaner as would shadys sugar shine tpw I don't like. Mind you ran some turbo at a friend's place and it was cleaned up amazingly well with the spp. This was the cleanest ffv ever fan less wheat character... Do could have likely went a bit further before for more flavor. Ffv is one my favorite and so easy.. 100 percent wheat amazing but s ok much more work.

B
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Back on topic please, this is a Tried and True Recipe thread, Posts removed , not the place for discussion of gin recipes and molasses prices.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:27 am Back on topic please, this is a Tried and True Recipe thread, Posts removed , not the place for discussion of gin recipes and molasses prices.
Dam.i always forget and get carried away.
Will do.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:27 am Back on topic please, this is a Tried and True Recipe thread, Posts removed , not the place for discussion of gin recipes and molasses prices.
this put an end to my goodwill regarding sharing experience ...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
Ndb
Novice

Post by Ndb »

Has anyone run TFFV through a pot still only? What where the results? How mamy runs were required.
No its not a true vodka but all im after is a nice nuetral.
Plus all i have is a pot still.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Ndb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:18 pm Has anyone run TFFV through a pot still only? What where the results? How mamy runs were required.
I have. It turned out clean. Had to run it a few times to get the proof up. I also did the baking soda treatment to remove flavors as I was using it to fortify some wine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Ndb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:18 pm Has anyone run TFFV through a pot still only? What where the results? How mamy runs were required.
Yes, four times now. Pure copper pot. Strip & spirit with feints from previous spirit run. Tight cuts. Delicious.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

If you are after a neutral and you've got a pot still, then look elsewhere for another recipe IMO. It makes a great drop and I make a big batch every year with my pot still, but I would never use it as a gin-base etc. Too much grain flavour.

One cheat you can do, is use stale wheat. It may take a few extra days to finish dry, but its less aggressive in flavour.
Ndb
Novice

Post by Ndb »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:49 pm If you are after a neutral and you've got a pot still, then look elsewhere for another recipe IMO. It makes a great drop and I make a big batch every year with my pot still, but I would never use it as a gin-base etc. Too much grain flavour.

One cheat you can do, is use stale wheat. It may take a few extra days to finish dry, but its less aggressive in flavour.
Any recommendations for other recipes.

Could i also cut back on the wheat bran and put another 1/4 multi vitamin in?
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Ndb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:12 pm
SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:49 pm If you are after a neutral and you've got a pot still, then look elsewhere for another recipe IMO. It makes a great drop and I make a big batch every year with my pot still, but I would never use it as a gin-base etc. Too much grain flavour.

I’m sure that would be fine. We discussed a while back about using the bran sediment for another ferment.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:49 pm If you are after a neutral, and you've got a pot still, then look elsewhere for another recipe IMO. It makes a great drop and I make a big batch every year with my pot still, but I would never use it as a gin-base etc. Too much grain flavour.

One cheat you can do, is use stale wheat. It may take a few extra days to finish dry, but it's less aggressive in flavour.

Could I also cut back on the wheat bran and put another 1/4 multi vitamin in?
Another neutral is Shady's Sugar Shine recipe...viewtopic.php?t=70585&hilit=Shady%27s+Sugar+Shine
One remark, before adding any calcium to your mash (oyster shell, coral, ...), measure your pH, which should not be over 5.5...
-target with a sugar wash : 4.5...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve made gin with TFFV. Used my copper pots. My taster isn’t too picky so the gin was/is good to me.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't try TFFV then. I've done a similar bran sugar wash using a fraction of the bran that Teddy uses. The ferment took a little bit longer and double distilled it made a great vodka, but nobody drinks vodka around here, so most of it ended up being triple distilled. I haven't used the double distilled for gin, but it did make a nice Genever and I have used it for various spirits that are best made with a hint of grain in the base spirit.

I still have plenty of the triple distilled left, which is an indication that I don't find it very useful.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I have not but I regularly use (and love) this recipe as a base for my gin. BUT, even when I strip and then reflux very well, it still has a bit of wheat coming through and so I suspect just potstilling will be a bit (too?) wheaty.
-- Rrmuf
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

It'll be a vodka before with more distillation (s) it is neutral.

Geoff
The Baker
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I run mine through the pot twice and get 80%. (give or take). It's pretty clean twice through,still has a slight wheat taste and a tad sweet. I will be trying it a 3rd time with some water and see the difference it makes,but am happy so far.
Hypatia
Novice

Post by Hypatia »

I see plenty of references to the ideal ph and methods of maintaining the correct ph throughout the wash. I have some litmus paper but I wouldn’t regard that as being terribly precise. What are people using to accurately measure ph? I have a tffv wash down but am really just hoping the ph is ok as I have no precise way to measure ph.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

My advice is leave it be and dont worry .....it will probably finish just fine.....when I first started in this hobby very few worried about PH......and very few washes didn't finish.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Hypatia wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 am I see plenty of references to the ideal ph and methods of maintaining the correct ph throughout the wash. I have some litmus paper but I wouldn’t regard that as being terribly precise. What are people using to accurately measure ph? I have a tffv wash down but am really just hoping the ph is ok as I have no precise way to measure ph.
Yup, as SBB says. I used litmus paper (a waste of time) and a pH meter which could be just as unreliable but now I just use blocks of marble to stabilise the pH, I was using oyster shells until I got a large slab of marble, now I dont have to go back to the fish shop and beg for oyster shells!

Follow the recipe and you wont have any troubles IMO
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

... I never thought of a block of marble! Cool!
-- Rrmuf
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:52 am ... I never thought of a block of marble! Cool!
I should mention that I broke the marble tile up into smaller pieces to increase the surface area etc etc
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:00 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:52 am ... I never thought of a block of marble! Cool!
I should mention that I broke the marble tile up into smaller pieces to increase the surface area etc etc
Looks like I'm headed to home depot.
Hypatia
Novice

Post by Hypatia »

Thanks for that. I have a never ending supply of oyster shells as I live proximate to oyster leases. Is it good practice just to throw a shell in as an insurance against ph crash?
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I’m not sure what’s with the marble and oyster shells. I haven’t had any trouble without them?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:07 pm I’m not sure what’s with the marble and oyster shells. I haven’t had any trouble without them?
Me and many others are the same hawkwing .

However , some folk have water sources that seem to cause problems especially with sugar washes .
The quick solution is adding shells .

I add shell grit and it makes bugger all difference to how things run but I do it ,if nothing else, out if curiosity as there is such a wide spread use of it now …. and I have a big bag of it and it takes less than a minute.

Temperature seems to have the biggest influence on how long it takes .

Some do get all hung up on pH readings and futzing with it to try and maintain “ideal” numbers , but for me , I occasionally take a reading out of curiosity, but thats it . I let it run its course regardless .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:07 pm I’m not sure what’s with the marble and oyster shells. I haven’t had any trouble without them?
They are an easy fix for if you are having pH stalls. I have to use them for some of my sugar washes, probably because of the mineral content of my local tap water.

If you haven't got a problem, don't try to fix it.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

With proper planning I started my very first batch of Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka today. I did scale it up to a 30 gallon mash and everything went fantastic, I simply followed the step by step process to the "T". My starting gravity was at 1.064 and it took off as advertised within the hour or so.Thanks to all in the forum, your comments made it an easy transition to the fermenter. Happy Halloween...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Dutch41 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:34 pm With proper planning I started my very first batch of Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka today. I did scale it up to a 30 gallon mash and everything went fantastic, I simply followed the step by step process to the "T". My starting gravity was at 1.064 and it took off as advertised within the hour or so.Thanks to all in the forum, your comments made it an easy transition to the fermenter. Happy Halloween...
I just did my first 46 litres batch. Mine didn't ferment dry. Stopped at 1. Not sure why I kept track of ph. And added some egg shells as a precaution. Temp for my bakers was 80. The only thing I can figure is I didn't scale the yeast properly. It went crazy for four days. Never seen an airlock work like this one did. So I'm guessing,my mistake with the yeast.. I'll try again soon.
Love the taste of this vodka though.🍻
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:37 pm
Dutch41 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:34 pm With proper planning I started my very first batch of Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka today. I did scale it up to a 30 gallon mash and everything went fantastic, I simply followed the step by step process to the "T". My starting gravity was at 1.064 and it took off as advertised within the hour or so.Thanks to all in the forum, your comments made it an easy transition to the fermenter. Happy Halloween...
I just did my first 46 litres batch. Mine didn't ferment dry. Stopped at 1. Not sure why I kept track of ph. And added some egg shells as a precaution. Temp for my bakers was 80. The only thing I can figure is I didn't scale the yeast properly. It went crazy for four days. Never seen an airlock work like this one did. So I'm guessing,my mistake with the yeast.. I'll try again soon.
Love the taste of this vodka though.🍻
Bradster, I'm on day three and the cap has fallen. I was anticipating a ph test and gravity test however when I saw that the cap dropped and the yeast is still quite active I'd leave her alone. I will keep you posted. If your batch stopped right at 1.000 I'd imagine you did good, distill it. Keep us posted...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Usually they all end up dry.990. Just.like the recipe said. I use a hydrometer every time so I know something was off. Still got a good yield though and no complaints about the sweet taste. I'll be doing another soon and I'll post my results 🍻