Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by Canuckwoods »

No noticeable sugar bite or off flavours.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:46 am No noticeable sugar bite or off flavours.
Which one does this apply to? Are you saying Ted's is better and the that the other one has sugar bite and off flavours?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

The other wash I can compare to is Wineo's which produces a good result as well.

I found TFFV to be more forgiving/reliable or less touchy. I also like TFFV because the bran tends to provide pretty much all the nutrients you need, it is fast, absolute bullet-proof, and produces a very nice neutral. I especially like the fact that starting a new ferment almost always only requires a trip to the grocery store.

I heard some people complain of a wheat taste but I haven't detected that. Maybe some day my taste buds will evolve to the point where I can complain about that, but after 30x25l runs of it, I still consider it my standard for a neutral.
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:15 am The other wash I can compare to is Wineo's which produces a good result as well.

I found TFFV to be more forgiving/reliable or less touchy. I also like TFFV because the bran tends to provide pretty much all the nutrients you need, it is fast, absolute bullet-proof, and produces a very nice neutral. I especially like the fact that starting a new ferment almost always only requires a trip to the grocery store.

I heard some people complain of a wheat taste but I haven't detected that. Maybe some day my taste buds will evolve to the point where I can complain about that, but after 30x25l runs of it, I still consider it my standard for a neutral.

Samezeez. I luv this recipe. People who don't drink vodka iv got liking it up.
I will be trying the others,but for now I'm filling drums full of Ted's.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:20 am What's the difference between the two? Namely, the end product, but also other relevant differences that would help pick one over the other?
The main difference between TFFV and Shady's wash is bran in the first recipe, and nothing in the latter. Bran contains nutrients and fibres, Shady's only nutrients. I've never had a problem with TFFV, but got one batch of Shady's that stalled, first time in life... Shady's wash is also much slower.
I made two 90-litre batches that went fine, the third one stuck, I added nutrients and yeast, it started again but stopped before .990 SG, and got infected by acetobacter (Ethanol --> Vinegar), I rushed to strip distil it, got 10 litres of 'something' with a yellowish hue (?), and of course will not mix it with the result of the first two batches for the spirit run as initially planned.
Conclusion, I tried Shady's but will follow Ted's recipe in the future.
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

How fine tuned is the amount of bran? Would half the amount work just fine? Just wondering if it has been optimized. Also is cooking for 20 minutes necessary or would just a few minutes to sterilize give the same results?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 am How fine tuned is the amount of bran? Would half the amount work just fine? Just wondering if it has been optimized. Also is cooking for 20 minutes necessary or would just a few minutes to sterilize give the same results?
I have tried a 20% reduction on the amount of bran (because it was all I had on hand) and it was perfectly fine. Zero perceived effect.

I have also done two back to back fermentations where I just drained the finished wash, leaving the gunk (and bran) behind, and added more 25C water with disolved sugar (no additional bran) and that second fermentation was also perfectly fine. This is what I usually do now. That experience is described somewhere earlier in this thread (I think).

SO, you can deduce from those data points that you can probably put less bran in. Others might have more data points.
Last edited by Rrmuf on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 am How fine tuned is the amount of bran? Would half the amount work just fine? Just wondering if it has been optimized. Also is cooking for 20 minutes necessary or would just a few minutes to sterilize give the same results?
To your second question, I think the 20 minutes is important.
-- Rrmuf
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I use 225g of bran as the bags I get are 450g so one does 2 batches, still works great. Boiling is important as it makes the bran useable to the yeast.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Canuckwoods wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:10 pm
I use 225g of bran as the bags I get are 450g so one does 2 batches, still works great. Boiling is important as it makes the bran useable to the yeast.
Tick and Tick,
I have run 2 batches on the dregs, Ted did say to me once that there is quite a lot of nutrient remaining after the first batch. Second batch went quicker I noticed and I put that down to a lot of yeast that went back to work etc etc.

The boiling for 20 minutes gelatinizes the bran, that is important, it is not simply for sterilizing, same principle as mashing wheat or corn from what I understand.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

The high temperatures softens the bran and allows the ingredients to be more accessible to the yeast as well as enhancing the overall flavour
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
Tick and Tick,
I have run 2 batches on the dregs, Ted did say to me once that there is quite a lot of nutrient remaining after the first batch. Second batch went quicker I noticed and I put that down to a lot of yeast that went back to work etc etc.

The boiling for 20 minutes gelatinizes the bran, that is important, it is not simply for sterilizing, same principle as mashing wheat or corn from what I understand.
CoogeeBoy are you saying you run an original batch then two more off the same bran (3 batches one bran charge) or one more batch off two original bran charges (4 batches 2 bran charges)
Bran is hard to find around here all of a sudden.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Canuckwoods wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 am
Tick and Tick,

CoogeeBoy are you saying you run an original batch then two more off the same bran (3 batches one bran charge) or one more batch off two original bran charges (4 batches 2 bran charges)
If your from Canada, bulk barn carries wheat bran. White and red and it's supper cheap
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

... We must be buying the same packages. :lol: My first batch was 250g and so the second batch was the leftovers, so 200g: perfectly fine. That's how I determined a -20% bran charge worked fine.
-- Rrmuf
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I just started my 4th batch. Ran low on wheat bran so I made up the difference with flaked breakfast oats. Added grains to boiling water, then simmered. It is all fermenting like crazy now with baker’s yeast.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

8Ball wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:32 am I just started my 4th batch. Ran low on wheat bran so I made up the difference with flaked breakfast oats. Added grains to boiling water, then simmered. It is all fermenting like crazy now with baker’s yeast.
I've thought about trying a batch with flaked/rolled oats for mouthfeel as well as a slightly different flavor but I was wondering if they offer the same nutrients as the wheat bran, anyone know?
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

TwoSheds wrote:
8Ball wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:32 am I just started my 4th batch. Ran low on wheat bran so I made up the difference with flaked breakfast oats. Added grains to boiling water, then simmered. It is all fermenting like crazy now with baker’s yeast.
I've thought about trying a batch with flaked/rolled oats for mouthfeel as well as a slightly different flavor but I was wondering if they offer the same nutrients as the wheat bran, anyone know?
Oddly enough as I stripped my first FFV run today, and researching the sweetfeed whisky on another thread I was thinking about what else could be added and oats crossed my mind.

Unsure how best to do it to avoid a mass of gloop in the bottom of the fermenter right enough.

FWIW, its only Low Wines atm but I am so far impressed with the FFV. Definite grain type flavour in the middle of the run.

The foreshots were off the scale acetone smell [emoji15]
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Canuckwoods wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 am
Tick and Tick,

Hi mate,
Only done one extra batch, worried that I was pushing it and also risking infection. I basically just recharged the same fermenter with water and sugar.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

With multiple runs on the same trub base, the yeast will still be viable but the nutrients are rather depleted.
I also found it lost a certain zing and crispness to the flavour - subtle but it is there.
I have no idea why wheat bran would be in short supply, it is a direct product of flour milling.
It makes a great horse feed supplement and here is extremely cheap at the feed stores.
Oats work to some degree if as bran, but the complete oat brings a different almost oiliness texture to the mix, which I am not keen on.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Teddysad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:21 pm ...
I have no idea why wheat bran would be in short supply, it is a direct product of flour milling.
Its in short supply because of you! Everyone on HD is buying it!
:) :roll:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

If you have a flour mill locally you could see if they will sell you the bran. I don't know how tastes run in the rest of the world, but I think the output of our local mill (in the village) is probably mostly white flour, meaning there's a lot of bran to be recovered.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:54 pm
I don’t know about you Coogee . Should I be moving this to the Joke section :ebiggrin: , jokes aside , no shortage of wheat bran here …………. Touch Wood
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:43 am
CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:54 pm
I don’t know about you Coogee . Should I be moving this to the Joke section :ebiggrin: , jokes aside , no shortage of wheat bran here …………. Touch Wood
We haven't been able to buy wheat bran here in the Eastern Suburbs since last year, lots of oat bran around but no wheat bran.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Interesting , I just bought this at Woolies up in Coffs Harbour a week ago .
FC7A736D-EB1A-42A6-B74A-EBF73AA85F37.jpeg
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:48 pm Interesting , I just bought this at Woolies up in Coffs Harbour a week ago .
FC7A736D-EB1A-42A6-B74A-EBF73AA85F37.jpeg
That's the stuff, haven't seen it here in months.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Might be a North American thing we seem to be having lots of sortages.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:11 am Might be a North American thing we seem to be having lots of sortages.
Your name says you are by a bulk barn possibly.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Our local farm and garden store sells 20kg for $33.

Just running my first 80L batch and second is almost done fermenting. Had to run 4 stripping runs on the 20L alembic. Just on a stripping run now. Got about 7.5 quarts off and it’s till coming at 50%.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

If you are picky with your cuts how much do you get out of three 25L batches and what proof?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:06 pm If you are picky with your cuts how much do you get out of three 25L batches and what proof?
I typically end up with about 3l from a 25l batch so you should get around 9l at 94-95% ABV.

I am looking for neutral so the cuts are pretty straightforward for me, I collect the tails but a couple of them often find their way back in so I cant be more precise than the "about 3l".