Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by CoogeeBoy »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:56 pm
hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:06 pm If you are picky with your cuts how much do you get out of three 25L batches and what proof?
I typically end up with about 3l from a 25l batch so you should get around 9l at 94-95% ABV.

I am looking for neutral so the cuts are pretty straightforward for me, I collect the tails but a couple of them often find their way back in so I cant be more precise than the "about 3l".

You can work it out from your wash, if you have 10% then there should be 2.5l of pure alcohol (100% ABV) in a 25l batch. I get 94-95% and my wash can be 10%-11% so you can gross up from those numbers.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

How much sugar do you put in? I don’t even think there is that much alcohol without cuts?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

I typically use 6kg of sugar in 25l wash, sometimes I might put in another kg for a total of 7.
You can measure it all with an alcometer and a hydrometer.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I see so 150% of the original recipe. Good to see we were talking about the same recipe :P
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:12 am Our local farm and garden store sells 20kg for $33.
I buy rice bran from the rice mill down the village and first bought a 20 kg bag, but you can't keep bran for a long time because rice bran becomes rancid through oxidation. I assume the same applies for wheat bran. Therefore, I buy 1 kg bags, very cheap, they believe it's for fishing...
Left over will go to our fish pond indeed !
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 pm I typically end up with about 3l from a 25l batch so you should get around 9l at 94-95% ABV.

I am looking for neutral so the cuts are pretty straightforward for me, I collect the tails but a couple of them often find their way back in so I cant be more precise than the "about 3l".

You can work it out from your wash, if you have 10% then there should be 2.5l of pure alcohol (100% ABV) in a 25l batch. I get 94-95% and my wash can be 10%-11% so you can gross up from those numbers.
"about 3l" correct IMHO, 25l. x 11° / 95° = 2.89l. or let's say +/- = 3l...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I had no idea it was used for feed for Horses I found 25kg for $19.00cd at the local feed store.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Garouda wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:54 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 pm I typically end up with about 3l from a 25l batch so you should get around 9l at 94-95% ABV.

That’s with absolutely zero cuts. Just wondering what’s left after cuts especially if someone is picky with them?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:08 am

That’s with absolutely zero cuts. Just wondering what’s left after cuts especially if someone is picky with them?
Hawkwing, my tails would be 500ml maybe as much as 700ml but then I use some of them, once I am in my tails, I collect in small jars of say 100ml (I don't measure the exact amount precisely), they often change in smell and taste. At worse, I would not use say 300ml-400ml

Just to re-iterate Hawkwing, I push this recipe and use 6kg of sugar, not 4.

In fact, I just made 2 batches last night and on one, I decided to use Angel Yeast to see how it goes. My objective is to see what yield difference there is, I can't do side by side comparisons because I am also fermenting some rice which takes out my other heat band.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:08 am

Cuts ? Well, do you have such a big volume of tails @ 95°??? :roll:
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
Canuckwoods wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:10 pm
hawkwing wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 am How fine tuned is the amount of bran? Would half the amount work just fine? Just wondering if it has been optimized. Also is cooking for 20 minutes necessary or would just a few minutes to sterilize give the same results?
I use 225g of bran as the bags I get are 450g so one does 2 batches, still works great. Boiling is important as it makes the bran useable to the yeast.
Tick and Tick,
I have run 2 batches on the dregs, Ted did say to me once that there is quite a lot of nutrient remaining after the first batch. Second batch went quicker I noticed and I put that down to a lot of yeast that went back to work etc etc.

The boiling for 20 minutes gelatinizes the bran, that is important, it is not simply for sterilizing, same principle as mashing wheat or corn from what I understand.
I tried to run a couple of second batches and had an acid crash so won't be trying it again. I wonder if yours crashed also and that's why it seem to go faster?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Canuckwoods wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:10 am
CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
Canuckwoods wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:10 pm
hawkwing wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 am How fine tuned is the amount of bran? Would half the amount work just fine? Just wondering if it has been optimized. Also is cooking for 20 minutes necessary or would just a few minutes to sterilize give the same results?
I use 225g of bran as the bags I get are 450g so one does 2 batches, still works great. Boiling is important as it makes the bran useable to the yeast.
Tick and Tick,
I have run 2 batches on the dregs, Ted did say to me once that there is quite a lot of nutrient remaining after the first batch. Second batch went quicker I noticed and I put that down to a lot of yeast that went back to work etc etc.

The boiling for 20 minutes gelatinizes the bran, that is important, it is not simply for sterilizing, same principle as mashing wheat or corn from what I understand.
I tried to run a couple of second batches and had an acid crash so won't be trying it again. I wonder if yours crashed also and that's why it seem to go faster?
No, I used oyster shells in my TTFV
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I used shell also I guess not enough.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

You have to worry about PH crash regardless of whther in a 1st batch or a 2nd batch using same 'trub'. I just make sure when I re-add water and suger, the water is PH balanced (as I would the first time) and I include some kind of calcium carbonate to keep it from crashing. Good luck.
-- Rrmuf
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Had my first proper taste of TFFV lastnight. Admittedly, any TPW vodka I have made has probably been a touch tailsy, so it might be that I made some fairly arbitrary cuts on the TFFV reflux run, but still.... This stuff is clean as a whistle, and until someone can tell me something better, will be routinely run for my neutral stock.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Same here LO. I know there are definitely more sugar wash recipes in the tried and true, BUT this is one of the winners.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:20 am Same here LO. I know there are definitely more sugar wash recipes in the tried and true, BUT this is one of the winners.
Thanks for the comment appreciated.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Teddysad wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:32 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:20 am Same here LO. I know there are definitely more sugar wash recipes in the tried and true, BUT this is one of the winners.
Thanks for the comment appreciated.
👍🍻
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

+1 Love this recipe! I use it to make a basis for Gin.
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:08 am
I am about to try this.i would love to use the juniper berries that grow around my house here but may not have the patience till spring. Are you using one from the tried and true?
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:08 am +1 Love this recipe! I use it to make a basis for Gin.
++ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: same here: basis for gin, pastis, and cointreau like liqueur...
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:34 am
I am about to try this.i would love to use the juniper berries that grow around my house here but may not have the patience till spring. Are you using one from the tried and true?
A bit off topic, but I started with Odin's Easy Gin and went from there. The juniper berries around Ontario are ready in Sept/Oct when they turn deep purple. There are already a couple threads on juniper berries that were useful to me but feel free to reach out on the Gin topic or privately if you have questions. Good luck.
-- Rrmuf
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rrmuf wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:13 am
Bradster68 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:34 am
A bit off topic, but I started with Odin's Easy Gin and went from there. The juniper berries around Ontario are ready in Sept/Oct when they turn deep purple. There are already a couple threads on juniper berries that were useful to me but feel free to reach out on the Gin topic or privately if you have questions. Good luck.
That's awsome of you. Iv been away for a while. Time to get back into things. I'm collecting copper to make a mini gin still. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again 🍻
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Monday night I started 200l of ffv. Yesterday morning was already down to 1.014 ... will be done soon!

Edit today its 0.999 about 4.5 days in.
20220514_110304.jpg
B
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:37 am Monday night I started 200l of ffv. Yesterday morning was already down to 1.014 ... will be done soon!

Edit today its 0.999 about 4.5 days in.20220514_110304.jpg

B
Just fired up the still. This one took 6 days but it's cooler here now. Still .990 though
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:10 am Just fired up the still. This one took 6 days but it's cooler here now. Still .990 though
This one is my fault would normally be done. But when adding sugar, I spilt a little extra into it. I had some dextrose that I wanted to used and some of well wash ended up at 1.080 opps instead of the 1.070 max I normally use. I added as much extra water as I could but needed headroom in fermenter so not to have a mess. Mine is temp controlled and at 80 to 82F

Good luck on the run. This is 4 runs for my keg boiler. Normally strip.. Then spirit run but since I am testing SPP will see what I can do straight from the wash also.

B
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:14 am
Bradster68 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:10 am Just fired up the still. This one took 6 days but it's cooler here now. Still .990 though
This one is my fault would normally be done. But when adding sugar, I spilt a little extra into it. I had some dextrose that I wanted to used and some of well wash ended up at 1.080 opps instead of the 1.070 max I normally use. I added as much extra water as I could but needed headroom in fermenter so not to have a mess. Mine is temp controlled and at 80 to 82F

Good luck on the run. This is 4 runs for my keg boiler. Normally strip.. Then spirit run but since I am testing SPP will see what I can do straight from the wash also.

B
Well shit happens. Hope it works out for you.
My stripping run yielded 7 litres. Iv probably got enough for 2 full spirit runs in my pot now. About 30 litres.🍻
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 am Well shit happens. Hope it works out for you.
My stripping run yielded 7 litres. Iv probably got enough for 2 full spirit runs in my pot now. About 30 litres.🍻
Its down yesterday to about .992 but still going. I normally get close to .980 to .985 might be done today but not checked. COVID has me down.

Sounds like productive run! Wineos sugar wash is really good once you figure out for your water. More neutral than FFV or TPW.. but I like the additional wheat character of this wash.. and with using it in Gin its nice! One thing about FFV scaling up does not negatively effect it 200L works just as well at 23L !!!

B
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

bitter wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 am
Bradster68 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 am Well shit happens. Hope it works out for you.
Its down yesterday to about .992 but still going. I normally get close to .980 to .985 might be done today but not checked. COVID has me down.

Sounds like productive run! Wineos sugar wash is really good once you figure out for your water. More neutral than FFV or TPW.. but I like the additional wheat character of this wash.. and with using it in Gin its nice! One thing about FFV scaling up does not negatively effect it 200L works just as well at 23L !!!

B
Actually ilet this last one go quite a while.it made a big difference an extra couple days. I love the wheat taste but am anxious to try another to compare the difference. I just made a bunch of fruit infused vodka mixes.
Gin will definitely be my next . I just wish juniper season was here ,I'll have a hard time waiting
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i think it improves if left longer.
i seem to get get more from the strip and better quality.
i'm in no rush any more with good stocks, so a wash can be left for 10-14 days at least.
the wash is quite clear and the trub bed is pretty solid.
FFV wash.jpg