Rum, with Cocoa Husks????

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillCopper
Novice

Rum, with Cocoa Husks????

Post by StillCopper »

Recent back from the D.R. and found the cocoa husk tea verrrrry interesting. Have read of folks using it with brewing beer, but not with making rum.
My idea is either to use the husks when doing the initial ferment or to age afterward. Anyone have any experience with this? The husks are available in the USA as ground mulch for real cheap. A 2.2 cuFt. bag goes for under $5 at local lumber yard. It has the material sheet showing it comes directly from Nestle with nothing added. So don't bring up ideas of added drugs, etc.
Just wanting to know if anyone has experience with making rum with cocoa husks.
Thanks,
R...........................................
I thought Thumper was a cute little bunny...........
thecroweater
retired

Re: Rum, with Cocoa Husks????

Post by thecroweater »

Would have to check the brix to see what is fermentable, other than that I got nothing
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
StillCopper
Novice

Post by StillCopper »

In searching there is a distillery out there that calls it 'chocolate whiskey'. Reviews weren't great and from the method/appearance I can understand it. Result though is that it's still a whiskey by TTB when selling since there are no sugars in the husks.
For those thinking of what fermentables, I'm not interested in fermenting the husks as the flavor is too delicate, just let the booze rest on it for awhile. And again there are no sugars to it.

My Results...
Put 375ml of 140p rum (from 100% black strap) in a 750 bottle. Rum had been aging on oak and cherry strips in stainless for 3 years. Drop it down to 100p with water cut. Nice by itself.
Add 2/3cup of husks and let stand for 10 day shaking each day, let stand for 2 days to settle out. Strain through coffee filter.
Changed color to darker caramel. Has a light cocoa finish to it. Aroma isn't much of chocolate, but you know it's not just rum.

Made up another bottle with little more husks, will let you know.

Answer it that you really need to try this with aged product. I don't think it would be as good with white rum, not enough flavor to stand on it's own, but makes nice addition to the wood aging.
StillCopper
Novice

Post by StillCopper »

The above mix recipe is about right. To filter pour through course sieve then let stand in bottle again in frig for 24 hours. Then through coffee filter.
Light aroma and light cocoa flavor.
It is of interest that nobody on here has chimed in on either trying this or asking about it.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Where can I source the husk? Sounds interesting. The SOH loves all things chocolate. Infusing might work with more than just rum.
Thanks, SS
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

scuba stiller wrote:Where can I source the husk? Sounds interesting. The SOH loves all things chocolate. Infusing might work with more than just rum.
Thanks, SS
Get oak from old wine barrels or vats planks made from the same. Saw them down to 1/2 inch sticks and toast or bake them till they are dark chocolate brown, the sugars and resins will fully caramel and infuse a chocolate like flavour. It really does taste like oak with a hint of chocolate to the point that people will ask if you used cocoa. Using cocoa bean itself might be pretty tricky as they are full of fats and oils and bitterness of rested beans. A wine can be made out of the fruit but won't taste anything like chocolate brewing with the bean will and there are recipes about for chocolate tequila type wines
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Nanacooks
Novice

Post by Nanacooks »

I’m late to the party! I. Just getting in to the craft. Have you seen these recently? Id love to try them out as well!!