The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 pm Geoff, where do you source your oak from please?

(The 'couple to use as barrels' were stainless coonie barrels).

Well, actually...
I asked at the local winery.
And the owner said, 'Oh. You are looking for old barrel staves.
Hmm. Not much around.
Oh, there is this very big barrel that has been sitting in pieces in the weather in the yard.'
So we looked at it. He didn't say how long it had been there but fifty years would not surprise me.
So I took a heap home. Don't know how good it will be, may not be good at all.
But the price was good! (Free). And the staves were very wide so I could get a badmo top without joining pieces.

I expect I will shave some of the really weathered outside (inside?) off it...
Being extra thick the inside (the middle of the wood) seems fairly good.

Geoff
Thank you
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi Badmo. Thanks again for the tour of your new shop last week and introducing me to Jesse from Stillit. I had a great time hanging out with you guys and meeting a few other local stillers.

I am looking forward to aging my next batch of Bourbon in a genuine Badmo barrel. It sure looks pretty and it was well worth the wait.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

OtisT wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:43 pm Hi Badmo. Thanks again for the tour of your new shop last week and introducing me to Jesse from Stillit. I had a great time hanging out with you guys and meeting a few other local stillers.

I am looking forward to aging my next batch of Bourbon in a genuine Badmo barrel. It sure looks pretty and it was well worth the wait.

Otis
The pleasure was mine, my friend. I’m lucky to get to hang with such fun, kind, cool, and knowledgeable people. Let’s do it again sometime.

Maybe I’ll come knocking on your door in a few years to see about that bourbon. :) But let’s not wait that long to get together again.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

@Badmotivator Thanks for the barrel. It is top notch construction. I really like the spigot. No leak from that guy! Have you thought of grinding a small flat on the lower rim so it doesn't roll around? I set mine on a wooden holder from a old wooden barrel I had. I will sure like the "no leaks" from the quality construction. Just a suggestion.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

6 Row Joe wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm Have you thought of grinding a small flat on the lower rim so it doesn't roll around? Just a suggestion.
I like that suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:49 pm
6 Row Joe wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm Have you thought of grinding a small flat on the lower rim so it doesn't roll around? Just a suggestion.
I like that suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
In the mean time if you cut a slot in a wine cork and slide it on the rim of the baine marie it will keep it from rolling.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

subbrew wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:43 am
I like that suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
In the mean time if you cut a slot in a wine cork and slide it on the rim of the baine marie it will keep it from rolling.
Nice hack!

The lip also provides significant strength to that part of the bain-marie that's under pressure from the barrel head - may not want to weaken it by grinding it down...

Two oak sticks (+maybe a zip tie or two on a bread rack shelf) - one on each side - also helps it from rolling around..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:58 am
I like that suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
Nice hack!

The lip also provides significant strength to that part of the bain-marie that's under pressure from the barrel head - may not want to weaken it by grinding it down...

Two oak sticks (+maybe a zip tie or two on a bread rack shelf) - one on each side - also helps it from rolling around..

Cheers!
-j
Jesus Christ. you guys are genius. All the freakin' corks I got around here, I dont know why that never occurred to me.

One thing that worried me with mine was something snagging on the valve on the spout or bumping it and it start dripping. So I drilled a small hole in the handle of the spigot and lockwired it to the lip. Which of course also provides a tamper proof "seal" if you will.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:58 am
I like that suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
Nice hack!

Cheers!
-j
Thanks for the tip. I would think lowering the head end or raising the rear, would keep the liquid in contact with more of the oak. Raising the rear it is. I will come up with something fun. Cheers.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

6 Row Joe wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm @Badmotivator Thanks for the barrel. It is top notch construction. I really like the spigot. No leak from that guy! Have you thought of grinding a small flat on the lower rim so it doesn't roll around? I set mine on a wooden holder from a old wooden barrel I had. I will sure like the "no leaks" from the quality construction. Just a suggestion.
That’s freaking brilliant! I don’t think I will add that feature but I’ll try to think of a good way to share the idea.

It would be a lot of grinding and would produce a lot of heat (melting the wax around the barrel head probably) and nasty dust, but if folks are careful it might be just what they’re looking for.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I like the split cork idea. You could easily make a "base" of a wooden T with a front cork with the split and a back cork without to keep the barrel level. Or to get slightly more sophisticated, with a small cutout in the front cork to also support the side of the barrel.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:13 pm I like the split cork idea. You could easily make a "base" of a wooden T with a front cork with the split and a back cork without to keep the barrel level. Or to get slightly more sophisticated, with a small cutout in the front cork to also support the side of the barrel.
I might have to try that split cork idea. Simple, effective, and inexpensive.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Depending on how thick and how flat the flange of the bain-marie is you could consider a plunge cut with a table saw or skill saw to make a curved groove to stabilize the front.

Plunge cuts are tricky and require some setup and planning to do safely so if you don't know what I'm talking about and/or you're not comfortable being a bit outside recommended procedures for your tools you might want to look for another method.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

20221012_104529.jpg
Something like this only the head end shorter to keep the wood saturated if the barrel isn't completely full. The Bain-Marie's are tapered a bit with the head end being slightly larger. I wonder if just a cradle on the back end would be stable enough. May be if it had a flat foot on the bottom. Just throwing out some ideas.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Here is what I did
jsm.jpg
Stay safe
OVZ
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I'm just going to leave this here:

rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Badmo!

That was fantastic and your setup is tight!!! You have come a long way here and I hope your order numbers go up!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

rgreen2002 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am Badmo!

That was fantastic and your setup is tight!!! You have come a long way here and I hope your order numbers go up!
Thank you brother! Right now the goal is to get production up by a lot. There are people all over the world waiting to get one and I hate to keep people waiting. :)
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:09 am
rgreen2002 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am Badmo!

Thank you brother! Right now the goal is to get production up by a lot. There are people all over the world waiting to get one and I hate to keep people waiting. :)
I just watched you on Jessie's chanel. (Still It) I like your jigs and machines you have made to do the job consistently. Great job.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

What's the largest size you'll do this with?
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 am I'm just going to leave this here:

I’m curious, why not have the middle stave running vertically, and then you don’t have to worry about putting the holes in a seam?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

[quote="Steve Broady I’m curious, why not have the middle stave running vertically, and then you don’t have to worry about putting the holes in a seam?
[/quote]

Double the stress on the weakest line of the stave.
be water my friend
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:18 pm What's the largest size you'll do this with?
The biggest size I have made was a 3 gallon badmo.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Has anyone found a Bain Marie that’s larger than 11-12 quarts?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Otis and Ben, I had to chuckle a little inside at that video. You two look like you could be related.
I need to get down there and see you two on one of my trips into Oregon. Where's the nearest place I can park my 5th wheel?
A PM will suffice, no need to broadcast your AO.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Briz_Steve1
Novice

Post by Briz_Steve1 »

The Baker,
Geoff not sure if you have found any yet but the best price pot's I can find here in Aus are these,

https://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au ... er-6000ml/

There was another outfit in Sydney selling them for $22 ea but then there was $19 shipping, the link above is only about half an hour from home so I'll just drive down and pick them up.

Hope this helps,

Steve
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 am I'm just going to leave this here:
Just watched this (I didn't have the time to watch the whole interview video). Having worked in an art framing workshop where repetition is key, I recognise and admire the jigs. And also the work that has gone into their design and construction. That is a beautiful set-up you've got there and I am more than a little jealous. When at some point I finally manage to find a local source for a similar stainless "barrel", I'll try and knock up some barrel heads in my own, far less advanced workshop.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Briz_Steve1 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:20 pm The Baker,
Geoff not sure if you have found any yet but the best price pot's I can find here in Aus are these,

https://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au ... er-6000ml/

There was another outfit in Sydney selling them for $22 ea but then there was $19 shipping, the link above is only about half an hour from home so I'll just drive down and pick them up.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Thanks, Steve.
Don't know what I might do...
but could you tell me their address where you would pick the cans up; I have rellies on the Gold Coast
who would go to Brisbane from time to time so might be able to call. They visit their parents in our town,
I think will be there for Christmas...
Private message would be fine if you prefer.
Thanks again.

Geoff

PS They quoted $25 to send five of the 6 litre so actually that is not too dear if I decided to go ahead...

Geoff
The Baker
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Post by Ifounditlikethat »

Hi Ben;

Thanks for the beautiful wood. The video you did with Stillit made me face palm and immediately head to the shop with my wife’s spoon holder in hand. The badmo in the pic has a black walnut top and is full of a white chocolate and roasted chestnut liqueur. Yes, yes, black walnut scary, look up cancer treatment research in South America for all the sciency PpM toxicity stuff and start a new thread if anyone wants to brow beat me over it please.
14046678-066F-45A7-8E26-4DA9D9F5CABF.jpeg
I’ve got a second one I made with the wood I ordered from you and it’s doing WONDERS for my collection of moldy beers and other fermentations gone wrong. I’m currently making a third and forth (one with char and one only toasted) for my experimental phase with sorghum rum. What kind of lead time would you need if I ordered an 8qt from you specifically for aging elderberry mead in? It won’t be needed until October of next year and I can make one myself, but it would be allot cooler to have one from you sitting in my rack.
Also I’ll have pictures of the display rack I’m building and something resembling plans for it ready soon. Is there a special place for that, or is posting it here ok?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

This seems auspicious!

BB1000 - 1 (1).jpeg