The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

icrazy
Novice

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by icrazy »

It didnt work before because thingiverse doesnt suport 3mf files so ive put up a stl file and its working now
Last edited by icrazy on Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icrazy
Novice

Post by icrazy »

Found these jars on ebay there 8 ltrs so i cut ptfe inserts for them and im using them to hold my rum and whiskey and when one gets full i make a bad motervator barrel and fill the barrel then repeat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274931118480 ... media=COPY

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076BS ... asin_title

Put in a link to the jar and the ptfe in case anyone wants to use them.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I looked through a few pages of this thread and didn't find a answer. How do you remove a stuck stopper. I got after mine with some 12" pliers and it won't budge. Any tips?
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Run a screw in and use a slide hammer. If you don't have a slide hammer you can use a standard claw hammer and a block of wood to pull it like a nail.
:)
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Ben wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:17 am Run a screw in and use a slide hammer. If you don't have a slide hammer you can use a standard claw hammer and a block of wood to pull it like a nail.
Thanks. I had that thought. I don't know if I still have a small slide hammer. I will have to dig around. I remember getting a extra plug. I will have to look for that one as well. I wonder if dipping the plug into hot wax before inserting would help. It would seal it for sure and may make pulling it easier. Teflon tape might work as well.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I tap mine with a hammer on alternating sides of the bung until it comes loose - gently. Reseat it the same way except tapping it into the hole. Mine came with an extra bung which is in the ziplock with all my carboy corks :)
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:40 am I tap mine with a hammer on alternating sides of the bung until it comes loose - gently. Reseat it the same way except tapping it into the hole. Mine came with an extra bung which is in the ziplock with all my carboy corks :)
That worked, thanks.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:40 am I tap mine with a hammer on alternating sides of the bung until it comes loose - gently. Reseat it the same way except tapping it into the hole. Mine came with an extra bung which is in the ziplock with all my carboy corks :)
This is what I do as well.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

6 Row Joe wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 am I looked through a few pages of this thread and didn't find a answer. How do you remove a stuck stopper. I got after mine with some 12" pliers and it won't budge. Any tips?
It the tapping of a hammer side to side as described above does not do the trick, like you I resort to channel locks (big pliers). I secure the barrel with the face up, put a very strong squeeze on the tool holding the bung and at the same time tap the end of the tool hard to twist the bung loose. The bung gets a little chewed up but nothing that makes them unusable. If you don’t grip firmly you can strip wood off, so squeeze well before twisting to minimize damage to the bung.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Suppose you smear the bung lightly with beeswax before you fit it.

That should help it go in, help it seal, and help it come out.

Geoff
The Baker
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

On the opposite side, how hard/deep should I hammer the bung in? I've just received my BadMo barrel today, have filled it with water (as I don't have a spirit to put into it) up to the bung hole and I stick the bung in. Have put it on its side and it's definitely leaking from the bung. So obviously not in far enough. I don't want to knacker this thing so any tips on securing the bung?

thanks!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

welly wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:44 pm On the opposite side, how hard/deep should I hammer the bung in? I've just received my BadMo barrel today, have filled it with water (as I don't have a spirit to put into it) up to the bung hole and I stick the bung in. Have put it on its side and it's definitely leaking from the bung. So obviously not in far enough. I don't want to knacker this thing so any tips on securing the bung?

thanks!
I knock all the bungs in until any leakage stops. The bung will get stuck as swelling occurs so you don’t have to really bang it in. I give it a solid hit, then leak check. Stop hitting it in once it’s not leaking anymore. Usually only takes a few solid taps for my 4 Badmo’s.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Cheers Dougmatt! I'll give it a bit more of a knock.
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

Thanks, those look great!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Hey, this should be fun! 160 used bourbon barrel heads arrived a few days ago. I'm still playing around with an efficient and successful workflow, but initial tests have been promising. I'll try to make a video dealing with the different challenges of using this wood source in the coming weeks.
IMG_0904.jpeg
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I have a question for all of you!

What is the specific, technical name of the set of tongue and groove shaper bits which cut this profile, used often by cooperages for joining head staves?
IMG_0912.jpeg
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

(Double) cope tongue and groove. AKA shaker rail and stile.

Search for infinity 83-034, should give you the pattern numbers so you can talk to someone about the double sided version.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Ben wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:33 am (Double) cope tongue and groove. AKA shaker rail and stile.

Search for infinity 83-034, should give you the pattern numbers so you can talk to someone about the double sided version.
That's getting close! Thanks for your suggestion.

I'll probably have to just work the phones and emails with the shaper bit companies. I need the set of shaper bits to do the jointing as well as the shaping (cutter elements all the way up, no bearings or spacers) in order to skip a jointing step in my process.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

If you're not married to that exact profile, there is a large selection of 'glue joint' router or shaper bits to choose from. With consistent wood thickness and careful adjustment any of them should yield something tight enough to be waterproof once slapped together, crammed into a bain-marie, and swelled with the liquid of choice.

e.g. https://www.toolstoday.com/v-6171-55388 ... AjEALw_wcB

How do you plan to accomplish both jointing and shaping with the same bits? It's certainly possible with the right fence setup, but I would tend to joint with a jointer with comparably cheap cutters, then shape the joint with the more expensive and precise glue joint bit.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what you're cooking up this time!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I really like the shaker joint geometry... it's enough to hold it together for light machining without glue, self centering, and should exert pressure out across the face as it swells. I don't know why it couldn't be your planing and jointing step in one, offset the outfeed fence from the infeed and go to town, thats exactly what a jointer does, jointer just has different cutter shape. If you have autofeed on your shaper this would be a beast of a way to save some time/labor.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:01 pm Hey, this should be fun! 160 used bourbon barrel heads arrived a few days ago. I'm still playing around with an efficient and successful workflow, but initial tests have been promising. I'll try to make a video dealing with the different challenges of using this wood source in the coming weeks.

IMG_0904.jpeg
Wow! Definitely want to use some old barrels to try finishing.
Looking forward to the vids.
Up to barrels 3 & 4 here. Mucked up and drilled the wrong face and tap hole on one but nothing goes to waste!
Attachments
IMG_20230121_184250_01.jpg
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:01 pm Hey, this should be fun! 160 used bourbon barrel heads arrived a few days ago.

I'll try to make a video dealing with the different challenges of using this wood source in the coming weeks.

IMG_0904.jpeg
I would think one of the first challenges would be finding bain-marie big enough to fit those! :angel:
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
icrazy
Novice

Post by icrazy »

Im using old barrel lids and find they are working realy well. I have found that if i put them in backwards i get more flavour as the outside wood of a barrel hasnt been used.
One problem i have found is that some barrel lids are verry spent on the inside part and have shrunk a lot so they dont like to stay straight when there put into the bain marie. But with a little persaverance i got there.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

The collection grows!
PXL_20230127_024613198.jpg
Shot of the vevor CNC too if anyone curious:
IMG_20230127_101613_01.jpg
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

jonlah wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:01 pm The collection grows!
That’s the stuff! It’s a fine start. I can’t wait to see your collection grow!
jonlah wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:01 pm
Shot of the vevor CNC too if anyone curious:
I’m curious! How long does it take for it to etch one of those blocks of text? My Laserpecker is OK but I wouldn’t mind a speed boost if the price is reasonable.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

Badmotivator wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:53 am I’m curious! How long does it take for it to etch one of those blocks of text? My Laserpecker is OK but I wouldn’t mind a speed boost if the price is reasonable.
Too long! Prob 30 mins for each. I bought the 0.5w model not knowing the speed to burn. I think the 5w one was less than AUD $100 more...not sure if that means 10x faster though.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Bad motivator, where could I get hold of the steel buckets? Are they on Amazon or something similar?

I'm on your mailing list, but I guess there might be a couple before me in line for a complete barrel... :/
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:16 pm Bad motivator, where could I get hold of the steel buckets? Are they on Amazon or something similar?

I'm on your mailing list, but I guess there might be a couple before me in line for a complete barrel... :/
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... BMS12.html
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 pm
LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:16 pm Bad motivator, where could I get hold of the steel buckets? Are they on Amazon or something similar?

:thumbup: Thanks!
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:20 pm
bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 pm

:thumbup: Thanks!
No problem! If that isn't the size you want, just do a search for "Bain Marie Inserts" and you should see a plethora of different sizes.