Show Us Your Infection

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Show Us Your Infection

Post by bcook608 »

So since this is a UJSSM batch and I'm going to be recharging with sugar, water, and backset, what is the process for this? Do I have to do anything special or do I just scrape off the top layer before siphoning and recharge as normal?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Scraping not required. In my viewpoint the buildup of yeast strains/lacto is what makes UJSSM get better and better. Scraping wouldn't do much good anyway, the lacto is all through the fermenter, you just see it gathering on top. You would have to start fresh: dump what you got, clean thoroughly and sanitize to get rid of it. It would come right back anyway, lacto is present in the raw corn used in UJSSM, just takes a while to really present itself.
:)
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Sounds good! I'll just recharge as normal and let 'er rip!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

What's the longest you've let a wash sit with a lacto infection?
It's been a while and I'm finally getting ready to run it. It still smells wonderful so I don't think anything has really changed, but I haven't dealt with any infections yet.
Stilljoy McFlavour
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilljoy McFlavour »

I enjoy me some Bootsy now and then, but this is a new kind of Funk all together.
This is my second AG (the first failed miserably, see another topic for that)

Three buckets; 30 liter, 65 liter and 130 liter. All with the same Pale Ale malted barley; fermenting 8 days now.
30 is at 1.000 from 1.065
65 and 130 are both at 1.020 from 1.065 and 1.060 respectively
PH 4.5 on all three of them
30 and 65 have developed some pretty microcultures; it feels fatty to the touch and yoghurt-like, flaky, smudges stick to equipment when stirred or disturbed. 130 has nothing (yet).
I turned up the temp to ~30 C, and 65 and 130 (re)started bubbling again slowly. The 30 is evidently done.

30 liter bucket
30.jpg
65 liter barrel
65a.jpg
From the comments in this thread I take it that I should just enjoy these Infectious Grooves and Dance to the Music. It'll be a while before I will have time to play with it, so I presume the Funk will adopt and evolve some more; I just hope it doesn't turn into R&B 'cause then I will be forced to toss my second AG as well... We'll keep at it ;)
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Don't toss it, run it even if you think the infection is crazy. Seal 'em up with a lid and air lock until you are ready to run, as long as you keep oxygen out you won't have any bad bugs. The 30 looks like lacto, 65 looks like Brett, both produce esters that can be pretty delicious. The brett will take longer to impact. You may find yourself repitching on that yeast/infection :)
Stilljoy McFlavour
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilljoy McFlavour »

Thanks Ben, I did as you suggested. I did have a peek this weekend and the 'brett' is starting to look like Elon's future Mars colony. Didn't want to withhold this beaut! ;)
65b.jpg
Plan to rack it all this weekend and get it off the grain. After that, life and its intricate intricacies will determine when I will be able to run it.
Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Post by Pure Old Possum Piss »

Are you getting any other delicious scents other than pineapple yet?
If it's got hide or hair, I used to ride it.
Wheels or tracks, I can drive it.
Rotor or fixed wings, I can fly it.
And if it's grain, I'll make a drop outta it!
Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Post by Pure Old Possum Piss »

Nothing wrong with a Violent ferment that gets a little Funky!
[utube][/utube]
If it's got hide or hair, I used to ride it.
Wheels or tracks, I can drive it.
Rotor or fixed wings, I can fly it.
And if it's grain, I'll make a drop outta it!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

0128230954.jpg
Got a nice one in my fresh yeast pitch. Smells like sweet tarts!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My date, rye & barley lacto.
My date, rye & barley lacto.
This is 3-1/2 days after pitching FP-921 yeast on my dates, rye & barley AG. I rehydrated the dates & 1/2 pound of panela in a gallon of bourbon backset, brought to boil, then mashed in with flaked rye & crystal malts. I used high temp enzymes so I brought everything up to 190F & 5.4 pH, then cooled down to pitch temp of 95F.

Started @ 1.056 & ended yesterday @ 1.004, 3.6 pH.
I was going to squeeze off and start stripping today but found this when I opened the fermenter. I’m thinking of running it in a couple days, but wondering if I should let it sit on the grain longer? Its only an 8G ferment so I’m willing to experiment. Any ideas?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

8Ball wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:21 am 4D7EDE86-87B5-4746-AF4B-E0593C2CBC34.jpeg

This is 3-1/2 days after pitching FP-921 yeast on my dates, rye & barley AG. I rehydrated the dates & 1/2 pound of panela in a gallon of bourbon backset, brought to boil, then mashed in with flaked rye & crystal malts. I used high temp enzymes so I brought everything up to 190F & 5.4 pH, then cooled down to pitch temp of 95F.

Started @ 1.056 & ended yesterday @ 1.004, 3.6 pH.
I was going to squeeze off and start stripping today but found this when I opened the fermenter. I’m thinking of running it in a couple days, but wondering if I should let it sit on the grain longer? Its only an 8G ferment so I’m willing to experiment. Any ideas?
Really cool 8Ball! How does it smell?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:06 pm Really cool 8Ball! How does it smell?
Right now, it smells like hooch should smell like when its finished. I’m thinking I’ll let the lacto eat the unfermentable sugars in the 2#’s of crystal malts thats in there. 1 lb each of G.Honey & Caramunich. The flaked rye was 5.75#.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
BlueJ
Novice

Post by BlueJ »

Running this tonight and currently smells really good coming off. It is a variation on CROW using YLAY. Racked off the grains into boiler, but then had to sit a couple days before I could run it. I’ve read enough here to know the advice was goi g to be run it and see. Look like the start of a lacto to you guys?
Attachments
C4C468F8-A537-439D-A164-A4A6531E715D.jpeg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

BlueJ wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:07 pm . Racked off the grains into boiler, but then had to sit a couple days before I could run it.
Just be careful with secondary in boiler. Gas or element, sediment and yeast will settle then will scorch.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
BlueJ
Novice

Post by BlueJ »

Good advice, thanks. This definitely was not the clearest mash I’ve run, but I guess I got lucky because I didn’t detect any scorching off-flavors. I do run electric and a thumper so if it did scorch maybe that cleaned it up some? But better to avoid that altogether and not rack unsettled mash into the boiler. And, thanks for the CROW recipe in T&T. I am a wheated bourbon guy and playing with that recipe (and variations on it) are producing nice drinks. Appreciated.
(Sorry for the off topic reply).
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You are most welcome.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Four fermenters of bourbon - two infections.

This one I’m running now, the other one I did this morning. The two that didn’t turn funky will get a go on the weekend.

Only took a pic of this one cos’ the other infection looked normal, but the smell was rank! :sick: Funny thing, the taste off the spout was lovely.
Attachments
IMG_2293.jpeg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

GrumbleStill wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:49 pm Four fermenters of bourbon - two infections.

This one I’m running now, the other one I did this morning. The two that didn’t turn funky will get a go on the weekend.

Only took a pic of this one cos’ the other infection looked normal, but the smell was rank! :sick: Funny thing, the taste off the spout was lovely.
You folks that ferment on carpet have very tolerant wives.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Deplorable wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:36 pm

You folks that ferment on carpet have very tolerant wives.

:lol: :lol: I’d be sipping with the angels if I did that!! Epoxy coating on concrete garage floor. Easy to mop, hides the stains :thumbup:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

20230518_182359.jpg
This is the first time I've gotten an infection while the ferment was still on the grain. I usually get this in secondary. But this is also the warmest weather I've had a bourbon mash bill ferment in.

It smells super fruity. I'll squeeze it this weekend, but it'll be a while before I can strip it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Deplorable wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:33 pm 20230518_182359.jpg
This is the first time I've gotten an infection while the ferment was still on the grain. I usually get this in secondary. But this is also the warmest weather I've had a bourbon mash bill ferment in.

It smells super fruity. I'll squeeze it this weekend, but it'll be a while before I can strip it.
Thanks for sharing this.
ckdistills
Bootlegger

Post by ckdistills »

Here's mine - bourbon wash I left for a couple weeks. Ran the first stripping run today.
IMG_0498.jpeg
werkkrew
Novice

Post by werkkrew »

This is an 8 month old Rum dunder, I'm pretty afraid to use it at this point.

I had some whiskey backset around the same age that looked similar and I dumped it out of fear but it smelled pretty good and I was really conflicted about it.

Both were in buckets with loose fitting lids in my garage.
PXL_20230527_181601189.jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

werkkrew wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:22 pm This is an 8 month old Rum dunder, I'm pretty afraid to use it at this point.

I had some whiskey backset around the same age that looked similar and I dumped it out of fear but it smelled pretty good and I was really conflicted about it.

I don't blame you. I'd be scared to run that too. But I have a very limited experience with infections in a ferment.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

werkkrew wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:22 pm This is an 8 month old Rum dunder, I'm pretty afraid to use it at this point.

Jezzus 🤮🤮🤮
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

I think I read a study saying mycotoxins won't cross over in distillation. I'd at least try to take some of that dunder and infect it with a new wash for a day or seven before distilling. 😁
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

8Ball wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:43 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:06 pm Really cool 8Ball! How does it smell?
Right now, it smells like hooch should smell like when its finished. I’m thinking I’ll let the lacto eat the unfermentable sugars in the 2#’s of crystal malts thats in there. 1 lb each of G.Honey & Caramunich. The flaked rye was 5.75#.
Well I did a strip & spirit on it after I let it sit about a month. I have my doubts about it ever aging enough to get rid of how it smells & tastes right now: Like pouring liquid shoe polish through an old drain pipe filled with rain gutter muck. Every once in awhile I’ll check on it so it will be interesting to see what it decides to do.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Shady's Sugar Shine obviously picked up a cold or something. :D
344775229_775675890876873_8993355920709519907_n.jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

dunluce wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:18 am Shady's Sugar Shine obviously picked up a cold or something. :D

344775229_775675890876873_8993355920709519907_n.jpg
How long did you have this sitting before the infection started. I have some SSS that has been sitting for like 3 weeks. Hasn't started infection yet. Need to strip it this week.