Panela

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

floppy
Novice

Panela

Post by floppy »

Is 1.34 per pound a good price it's the lowest I can find online
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Panela

Post by nerdybrewer »

Yes if you're buying in small amounts.
You can do better with Sugar Daddy if you are buying bulk.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Panela is great for making rum. Not sure where you live but as Nerdybrewer mentioned you can get a better deal buying in bulk. We in the PNW last purchase tagged in with a local distillery so got a better price. The bags are 50 lbs each and members here bought a 1000 lbs to split and I believe the distillery bought 1500 lbs.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life and try to see where panela prices are now. I contacted Sugar Daddy and he said he has none to ship right now. I have searched the internet until I found the end of the internet. The best I can find online is $2.70/lb not counting the shipping charge. Our closest decent sized city has a mexican grocery store that carries it for $2.99/LB. Are those good, bad, decent prices right now? Options seem pretty limited.
Thanks for any info.
Plain ole pot rig.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I bought in bulk years ago from Sugar Daddy and haven’t priced it in some time but those prices seem really high to me. Although Panela makes a good rum at that price I would check out some of the other recipes for rum in the Tried & True. I use a combination of Panela and blackstrap molasses. For me the Panela alone is too light.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Worker strike and covid to contribute to sugar prices.
That and some less than favorable weather for small farms with no irrigation a year or two ago.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Sounds like it's just not a great time to be buying panela. I've got a bunch of SBB's all molasses sleeping on oak right now. As expected it's got some pretty bold flavor, so I wanted to try panela to see how a lighter rum tastes. Might just do a smaller than usual batch.
Thanks for the info fellers.
Plain ole pot rig.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I found 100 lbs panela left over from a previous buy. Forgot about it in corner of garage…now it a bonus!
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My local WalMart started carrying it on the shelf a few months ago for $1.13 a pound. I’ve got some 100% panela rum aging on toasted french oak now, plus a nice stockpile of panela in reserve. You have to get it while the getting is good. Apparently it sells well enough that they have set up a baker’s rack full of it on the corner of a main aisle. They sometimes ask me what I do with it, I tell them I make bbq sauce for a couple restaurants and it is the secret ingredient.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

8Ball wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 am They sometimes ask me what I do with it, I tell them I make bbq sauce for a couple restaurants and it is the secret ingredient.
I thought about asking the grocery that does have it if they could order some cases for me at a discounted rate. Inevitably they would ask what I need all that panela for. I might have to borrow that line from you, bbq sauce makes perfect sense. :clap:
Plain ole pot rig.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:23 am I found 100 lbs panela left over from a previous buy. Forgot about it in corner of garage…now it a bonus!
Jeebus Christmas,,,,,you "found" a 100lbs!!!?
Who finds a hunnerd pounds?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

River Rat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:34 am
8Ball wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:41 am They sometimes ask me what I do with it, I tell them I make bbq sauce for a couple restaurants and it is the secret ingredient.
I thought about asking the grocery that does have it if they could order some cases for me at a discounted rate. Inevitably they would ask what I need all that panela for. I might have to borrow that line from you, bbq sauce makes perfect sense. :clap:
Ha! Go for it!
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:23 pm
Hambone wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:23 am I found 100 lbs panela left over from a previous buy. Forgot about it in corner of garage…now it a bonus!
Jeebus Christmas,,,,,you "found" a 100lbs!!!?
Who finds a hunnerd pounds?
+1
My thoughts exactly. Not only how do you find 100 pounds, but how do you forget about it??
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I still have 50lbs was never lost just haven’t needed to make rum lately.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

HaHa I still have a couple hundred pounds.

Stay safe
OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Bushman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:52 pm I bought in bulk years ago from Sugar Daddy and haven’t priced it in some time but those prices seem really high to me. Although Panela makes a good rum at that price I would check out some of the other recipes for rum in the Tried & True. I use a combination of Panela and blackstrap molasses. For me the Panela alone is too light.
Hi Bushman.
Like you I have been sitting on my last 50# bag of panela left over from a previous group buy. I am finally getting around to wanting to do something with it. I had already decided I wanted to try a blend of panela/molasses on my next batch but I have not made a plan yet. I see this post now and am hoping you can share with me the ratio of blackstrap to panela that you like?

Thanks, Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

If all that panela starts getting in your way you boys just ship it on over to KY.
Plain ole pot rig.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OtisT wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:44 pm
Bushman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:52 pm I bought in bulk years ago from Sugar Daddy and haven’t priced it in some time but those prices seem really high to me. Although Panela makes a good rum at that price I would check out some of the other recipes for rum in the Tried & True. I use a combination of Panela and blackstrap molasses. For me the Panela alone is too light.
Hi Bushman.
Like you I have been sitting on my last 50# bag of panela left over from a previous group buy. I am finally getting around to wanting to do something with it. I had already decided I wanted to try a blend of panela/molasses on my next batch but I have not made a plan yet. I see this post now and am hoping you can share with me the ratio of blackstrap to panela that you like?

Thanks, Otis
This is the last one I did in 6 gallon fermenters:
Panela Rum
~4.85 gallons of water
7 lbs panela
1/2 Gallon Black Strap Molasses
1/4 tsp citric acid (with dunder)
1/4 tsp gypsum (see dunder's comments)
1 Tbls red star bakers yeast

1) Bring 2.5 gal of filtered water to 180 F.
2) Remove from heat and add the 7 lbs of panela and 1/2 gallon Black Strap Molasses. Stir vigorously till panela is dissolved.
3) Add gypsum and citric acid. Stir vigorously to aerate.
4) Bring to ~4.85 gallons with cool filtered water (roughly 4.85 with head room for ferment)
5)Pitch yeast and allow to ferment.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Thanks Bushman. :D

Otis
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

:shock: I actually made a panela rum was now a year ago but got sidetracked and, well, sidetracked. So now I found the rest and it’s kinda like Xmas…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Any interest in a new PNW group purchase? I could arrange it and pickup could be at my workshop in Eugene, OR. I can also conceive of a road trip to PDX and SEA if members there wanted to get in but can't travel easily.

C'mon, you rummies. Let's do this. :)
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

I'm down for a couple hundred pounds.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Last time we had a PNW order we piggy backed with a local distillery and got a pretty good discount. I think I still have about 40lbs left. I might be interested depending on the price but in less than a month I will be traveling to Norway for a month so may not be able to pick it up depending on the delivery time.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Badmotivator wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:55 pm Any interest in a new PNW group purchase? I could arrange it and pickup could be at my workshop in Eugene, OR. I can also conceive of a road trip to PDX and SEA if members there wanted to get in but can't travel easily.

C'mon, you rummies. Let's do this. :)
I might well be interested if the price is right. Especially if we can get it done before I pass through on my way to Canyonville in a few weeks. I'll be towing a 5th wheel so it has to be easy access off I-5. I think we usually hit a rest area near Albany.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

You read my mind. I’m in. Otis
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

It looks like we'll be in the neighborhood of 95c/lb. I'm talking to one local distillery to see if they'd like to get in.

Should I start a new thread to get more visibility, so more PNW folks notice and consider joining?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That's a damn good price.
$1.10 per lb is good so you're in great shape at that price point.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

With freight it's looking more like $1.65/lb though. :)

At that price I can fill one of my barrels, making about a case of fifths, for around $40. Not bad. With the (retail) cost of my barrel and bottles included, those fifths would be around $13 each.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

I'm in for 300#. Any more, I think the wifey might get a little upset unless she is sipping on a mojito...
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I just got 22 x 25 kg bags delivered at my workshop. I'm just going to keep it on hand. All of you PNW HD-ers can contact me and pick it up for my actual cost, $82/sack. Get in touch and make a plan to swing by some time!
IMG_0559.jpeg
Last edited by Badmotivator on Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.