Shrimping and fishing

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shrimping and fishing

Post by Deplorable »

You must work downtown? I bet that's a shit show these days.
I make a pretty solid effort to not to go into Seattle for anything anymore.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Bushman wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 pm I can take you out through the islands so you can see just how beautiful it is.
That sounds like a plan, Bushman! Back in 2001, we spent one week in Friday Harbor and the second week in downtown Seattle while our son climbed Mount Rainier. It was one of our favorite ever vacations. After this quarantine, we are itching to go somewhere or anywhere! A return trip to the islands is really high on my list.
Take care.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

8F180487-D455-4FC8-B50C-A1AD3CB903B9.jpeg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sounds like they nailed the shrimp on the first opening in both the San Juan Islands and Hood Canal. Unfortunately I was at the ocean vacationing with my wife’s cousins and not out in my boat.
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

I've never caught shrimp, only fish. This is a very monotonous activity, but you can be alone with your thoughts. Although fishing with friends is fun and cool.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Bushman wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 pm Thanks GCB3, I can take you out through the islands so you can see just how beautiful it is. Hopefully this pandemic will end before next summer.
It is hard to beat a still morning sliding through the water coming into the straits of Juan de Fuca with some porpoise riding the bow wake. One of the prettier things I have seen.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Doesn't matter if it's going after Spanish mackerel off Cape Lookout (NC) or sitting on the bank of a small pond, best thing to get a handle on life.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got back with 3 days on the boat shrimping for two of the three days and limiting before noon both days and back at the dock with a Gin & Tonic in hand.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

5F2B3725-6D20-4BB2-925D-39D70FD9B508.jpeg
Another successful day crabbing!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nice haul Bushman! :thumbup:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I so miss picking up dungeness and rock crab on the sound. and of course the occasional guiduck.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

57 crab in 3 days, took different people out each day and shared crab with them. My wife made crab cakes from two different recipes both very good.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I'm jealous Bushman! I used to do that stuff when I had my Tolleycraft flybridge cabin cruiser years ago. I sold it, and my boat shed at the Y.C. when I went through cancer treatment a dozen years ago. I do miss cruising to the San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands. I used to find the biggest and best crabs on the east side of Lopez Island south of Spencer Spit.
Attachments
26ftTollycraft.jpg
26ftTollycraft.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Trolleycraft makes a nice boat. I see a lot of crab pots in that area and just south of Spencer Spit at least one person shrimps. Closer to Decatur.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Currently here on Maui and saw a fisherman getting ready to fish from shore. If you know me I am going to strike up a conversation about fishing. He was fishing for the large Pacific Jack fish. He said he invented his own knot for tying the line to the swivel. It looked really strong so I had him show me as he set up two of his poles. Hope I can remember it when I get home so I can practice it. Looks like a stronger knot than I use for my halibut fishing.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got the dates for shrimping. This year it is a later opening and because I am going to Europe this summer I only have two openings I can do.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Ling Cod is some of the creamiest and best tasting fish I ever ate!
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am Ling Cod is some of the creamiest and best tasting fish I ever ate!
Had halibut for dinner last night, not sure which one I like best. I haven’t priced in a store because I catch my own but I believe halibut per pound is still more expensive as lingcod.
Shadowride69
Swill Maker

Post by Shadowride69 »

Damn I miss Washington state I'm in Kentucky now fresh seafood is what I miss the most
I help collage girl's make bad decisions..... I make liquor bottles as a career.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

I'm down near the gulf coast.

We have tons of seafood, but different seafood.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

My neighbor got a halibut near Port Townsend last week when it opened. He kept that one all to himself though. He constantly catches lingcod. My favorite are the shrimp up here, nothing has tasted as good as those, not even Dungeness.
Shadowride69
Swill Maker

Post by Shadowride69 »

Snackson wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:29 am My neighbor got a halibut near Port Townsend last week when it opened. He kept that one all to himself though. He constantly catches lingcod. My favorite are the shrimp up here, nothing has tasted as good as those, not even Dungeness.
Good ol Port Townsend my dad still lives in Chimacum
I help collage girl's make bad decisions..... I make liquor bottles as a career.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Haven’t Fished the straits for Halibut but I hear it’s pretty good. Usually go to middle bank or near Victoria BC.
Shadowride69
Swill Maker

Post by Shadowride69 »

That's a beautiful part of the country.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just harvested al bunch of oysters from our beach and spent yesterday cooking and smoking them. Today we will can them in pint and half pint jars.
897FCEFB-147D-415B-883B-AA958565870A.jpeg
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Bushman wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 am Today we will can them in pint and half pint jars.
Now that looks appetizing. How to you can oysters, if you don't mind my asking. Do you use the “hot bath” method or do you use a “pressure caner”? You don't salt them, do you?
Omnia mea mecum porto
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Pressure canning in Peanut Oil.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I really enjoy oysters (grew up on the Florida gulf coast eating them straight out of the gulf when fishing). I was in New Orleans a few years back (love bbq oysters) and had smoked fried oysters. They smoked them, then deep fried ‘em. Life changing! Something to try if you haven’t.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Dougmatt wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:40 pm I really enjoy oysters (grew up on the Florida gulf coast eating them straight out of the gulf when fishing). I was in New Orleans a few years back (love bbq oysters) and had smoked fried oysters. They smoked them, then deep fried ‘em. Life changing! Something to try if you haven’t.
Were the breaded and deep fried or just deep fried?
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

they were fried with a light and lightly seasoned batter.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!