Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by rubberduck71 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:55 pm Wow! I just started up a batch of this stuff (well, actually 4x6 gal fermenters) yesterday, and dayyyyy-ummm does it smell good fermenting!!! Better than any other ferment I can remember. I cheated & am using YLAY.

Can't wait for the spirit run!
Getting ready for spirit run today w/ thumper. In the meantime, the sugarheads are bubbling away. I'd forgotten how "farty" sugar washes are!!! P.U.!!! All grain was a delightful smell.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: When to drink

Post by BoomTown »

ausibatla wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:26 pm How long after distillation do you blokes get stuck in. Everybody's talking about how
good their new batch is. Do you leave it for 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years. I don't care
who you are, nobody makes a brew, beer or bourbon, then waits 7 years to drink it.

Another query I have is a bottle from my first batch, you all remember the one that
took 3 months to ferment to 1010 SG and had all sorts of additives, etc. (See the post: 4
WEEKS AND STILL BUBBLING.) Well I kept one bottle to age for a year or so to see how
much, or if, it would improve. I drank the rest, and enjoyed it.
Yesterday I had a look at it and when I tipped the bottle up some sediment
came off the bottom. I say sediment but it looked syrupy, like a slime. But
when I put that first batch down on the 4th. of July, (Yeah I know but it is just a
coincidence) I put 2 kilos of honey into it as well as sugar and stacks of yeast to try and
fire it up every time it stalled. In short, as well you know it was a stuff up. But I did
get 10 liters at 30% from it. I was wondering if all the sugar and honey could be the
slimey look when it's disturbed. It still smells O.K.
Any ideas?
Cheers. :roll:
So did it compare favorably to your earlier bottles?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Im running a spirit run on my fourth mash of this today. I've still never tasted it other than a 1/2 pint jar of white dog I kept when I filled a barrel back in July.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jlangley
Novice

Post by jlangley »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:13 am
rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:55 pm Wow! I just started up a batch of this stuff (well, actually 4x6 gal fermenters) yesterday, and dayyyyy-ummm does it smell good fermenting!!! Better than any other ferment I can remember. I cheated & am using YLAY.

Can't wait for the spirit run!
Getting ready for spirit run today w/ thumper. In the meantime, the sugarheads are bubbling away. I'd forgotten how "farty" sugar washes are!!! P.U.!!! All grain was a delightful smell.
I was wondering if you added the malt in the beginning or if you waited until later in the fermentation to add them, since using YLAY would take out any benefit other than the flavoring ?
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

jlangley wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:07 pm I was wondering if you added the malt in the beginning or if you waited until later in the fermentation to add them, since using YLAY would take out any benefit other than the flavoring ?
All the grain went in at the beginning using a mixer on the end of the drill. My big 2 quart measuring cup holds ~3 lbs grain, so 1 hand holding that, the other on the drill. Never had to contend with any dough balls [knocks wood].
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I am ordering the grain for this. I do I want pale ale malt or pale wheat malt?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

The recipe calls for both malted barley (Pale Ale Malt) and malted wheat. I personally used white wheat, unmalted on the last batch. It calls for malted wheat.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

subbrew wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:01 am The recipe calls for both malted barley (Pale Ale Malt) and malted wheat. I personally used white wheat, unmalted on the last batch. It calls for malted wheat.
So you're saying that I want the pale ale malt, not the pale wheat malt. I already have the honey malt, white wheat malt and the red wheat malt in my "cart" on line. This is my first time doing the recipe so I want to follow as close as I can.

I can choose if I want it whole or milled and I read that you do want to mill the grains so I got them all milled. I am getting enough for a double batch, but making them one at a time.

With the grains I don't use right away, what's the best way to store them? Freezer?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Yes, you want the pale ale malt (barley) and you already have the wheat malts in your cart so you are good. Grains last longer unground but if you don't have a mill then ground is the way to go. Storing them in the freezer and vacuum sealed is the way to go if you can. They will keep at least a year like that. (whole grain will keep at least a couple of years in the same storage). Even ground and in the freezer, not vacuum sealed, I would not hesitate to use year old grain. I have used 18 month old whole grain that sit on the floor of shop which is 60 F in the winter and 90 F in the summer and it was fine. I could not detect any off tastes in the beer it produced.

Hope you like HBB. Mine is only a year old, so certainly not prime, but it is already my favorite. Hope I can keep enough to see what it is like in 3 or 4 years.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

subbrew wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am Yes, you want the pale ale malt (barley) and you already have the wheat malts in your cart so you are good. Grains last longer unground but if you don't have a mill then ground is the way to go. Storing them in the freezer and vacuum sealed is the way to go if you can. They will keep at least a year like that. (whole grain will keep at least a couple of years in the same storage). Even ground and in the freezer, not vacuum sealed, I would not hesitate to use year old grain. I have used 18 month old whole grain that sit on the floor of shop which is 60 F in the winter and 90 F in the summer and it was fine. I could not detect any off tastes in the beer it produced.

Hope you like HBB. Mine is only a year old, so certainly not prime, but it is already my favorite. Hope I can keep enough to see what it is like in 3 or 4 years.
Thanks so much! I do have a vacuum sealer. I'm hoping to do the second batch before spring, so it won't be that long. I am on page 15 I think of this thread and my mouth is watering...I have some oak barrels coming tomorrow. Glad I ordered more than 1 because I'm doing my spirit run of UJSSM this weekend. :thumbup:
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

subbrew wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:01 am The recipe calls for both malted barley (Pale Ale Malt) and malted wheat. I personally used white wheat, unmalted on the last batch. It calls for malted wheat.
As others have pointed out it's the pale ale malt(ed barley).

It took me a while to figure out because I never brewed much beer, but "malt" seems to always refer to malted barley unless otherwise specified.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong or if there are exceptions, but that seems to be true.

Good luck with the HBB. I made the mistake of making a small first batch and none of it even made it to aging... Making a much larger batch right now!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:55 am
As others have pointed out it's the pale ale malt(ed barley).

It took me a while to figure out because I never brewed much beer, but "malt" seems to always refer to malted barley unless otherwise specified.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong or if there are exceptions, but that seems to be true.

Good luck with the HBB. I made the mistake of making a small first batch and none of it even made it to aging... Making a much larger batch right now!
I have never dealt with grain like this before (just a sweet feed grain) so the mention of barley threw me. I did read a lot somewhere here and I think the malt is a process they put the grain through-malted or not malted.

I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite thing, that's why I bought enough for two batches. I am planning to oak one batch and probably keep one white... I will TRY and age half of each for at least a year, but I hear it's hard to leave it alone. :lolno:
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

sadie33 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 pm I have never dealt with grain like this before (just a sweet feed grain) so the mention of barley threw me. I did read a lot somewhere here and I think the malt is a process they put the grain through-malted or not malted.

I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite thing, that's why I bought enough for two batches. I am planning to oak one batch and probably keep one white... I will TRY and age half of each for at least a year, but I hear it's hard to leave it alone. :lolno:
Right, "malting" is a process where grains are wetted and start to germinate which causes enzymes to kick into gear that convert the starch in the grain to sugar that the plant can use to grow. Once the enzymatic action is started it's halted by re-drying the grain.

All the grains we talk about for brewing can be malted but barley is a real ass-kicker for enzymes creating more than it needs to convert itself, so it's the go-to "malt" and what is usually referred to as just "malt".

Enjoy the HBB. I think I've just decided to do my first strip tonight.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Fun fact. Wheat malt has MORE enzymes than barley. Kinda what got me down this wheat mixed grain bill to begin with.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

sadie33 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 pm I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite thing, that's why I bought enough for two batches. I am planning to oak one batch and probably keep one white... I will TRY and age half of each for at least a year, but I hear it's hard to leave it alone. :lolno:
It's great that you're ready to jump into All Grain mashing.
For this recipe everything is malted except the corn.
If you don't have a local home brew shop, order the grains on line through morebeer, or one of the others.
For your first foray into this new experience I'd suggest buying corn meal. It's easier to gel with much less work than remilling cracked corn from the feed store.
Take plenty of time cooking the corn to get it to gel up good.
Follow the recipe to the letter, and be mindful of temperature while adding in your wheat malts and pale malt as to not denature them.
I'm not a big fan of white likker, but this recipe and my caramel malt version has changed my mind.
I'm sipping on a glass of HBB now that I ran Sunday and blended yesterday. It's pretty damned good.
My very first AG foray was ShineOn's CROW bourbon recipe which while delicious, was a frustrating experience dealing with oats in a mash for the first time.
One day, I'll make another batch of that...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:28 pm
sadie33 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 pm I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite thing, that's why I bought enough for two batches. I am planning to oak one batch and probably keep one white... I will TRY and age half of each for at least a year, but I hear it's hard to leave it alone. :lolno:
It's great that you're ready to jump into All Grain mashing.
For this recipe everything is malted except the corn.
If you don't have a local home brew shop, order the grains on line through morebeer, or one of the others.
For your first foray into this new experience I'd suggest buying corn meal. It's easier to gel with much less work than remilling cracked corn from the feed store.
Take plenty of time cooking the corn to get it to gel up good.
Follow the recipe to the letter, and be mindful of temperature while adding in your wheat malts and pale malt as to not denature them.
I'm not a big fan of white likker, but this recipe and my caramel malt version has changed my mind.
I'm sipping on a glass of HBB now that I ran Sunday and blended yesterday. It's pretty damned good.
My very first AG foray was ShineOn's CROW bourbon recipe which while delicious, was a frustrating experience dealing with oats in a mash for the first time.
One day, I'll make another batch of that...
Haha, not sure I'm ready, but I'm jumpin. I was going to do the maple rum, but we don't have enough syrup left over from last year. What I thought was extra, was a whole box of my vanilla aging :thumbdown: .

So with my empty fermenter, I decided to try this. It sounds sooo good. I did order my grain today from 2 different places. One place didn't have the honey malt, the place that had the honey malt didn't have pale malt. I'm hoping by the time it all comes in I will have read this whole thread.

I was thinking of using the flaked corn and going between the meal and the cracked. I forget why I was thinking that, maybe something I read on here about squeezing the meal?

I am planning on leaving the oats out my first couple tries. When I get more familiar with it, I will try the oats and see the difference. I don't know what "mouth feel" is yet. I'm actually not a big drinker, so I don't know a lot of these terms. :lol:

I can't wait. I will probably post when done in the- my first- thread. Or here I guess... :think:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Squeezin is a labor of love. It sucks no matter what. Flaked corn has the added benefit of being pre-gelled but it comes at a cost.
Corn meal, like Bob's Red Mill isn't bad to squeeze, even in this recipe with a lot of wheat. I've used a good lot of it. And for the cost, it's not bad compared to the labor of milling my own. Even after restoring a 100 year old grain mill. I use 25# of BRM in every bourbon mash and the remainder of the corn bill comes from feed corn hand milled to a fine meal.
Hand Squeezin gets old fast, so once you confirm that AG is worth the work, invest in a mop wringer and some paint straining bags. I can squeeze 50 pounds in two hours including cleaning up the fermenter and mop wringer.
Don't rush to run the milky wort you get from squeezin. Let it rest and clear. It's worth the wait in my opinion. Others might argue otherwise.
Your enthusiasm will return big dividends. Practice patience, and the whiskey gods will reward you.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:33 pm Squeezin is a labor of love. It sucks no matter what. Flaked corn has the added benefit of being pre-gelled but it comes at a cost.
Corn meal, like Bob's Red Mill isn't bad to squeeze, even in this recipe with a lot of wheat. I've used a good lot of it. And for the cost, it's not bad compared to the labor of milling my own. Even after restoring a 100 year old grain mill. I use 25# of BRM in every bourbon mash and the remainder of the corn bill comes from feed corn hand milled to a fine meal.
Hand Squeezin gets old fast, so once you confirm that AG is worth the work, invest in a mop wringer and some paint straining bags. I can squeeze 50 pounds in two hours including cleaning up the fermenter and mop wringer.
Don't rush to run the milky wort you get from squeezin. Let it rest and clear. It's worth the wait in my opinion. Others might argue otherwise.
Your enthusiasm will return big dividends. Practice patience, and the whiskey gods will reward you.
I already have a mop bucket. :thumbup: I bought it while fermenting my first sweet feed grain. I actually like squeezing, though I think this has a bigger grain bill than my sweet feed.

When you say flaked corn comes at a cost, do you mean literally? Like it's more expensive than corn meal? I guess I could price it out and do which ever is cheaper, unless corn meal is really the best option.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

sadie33 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:21 pm When you say flaked corn comes at a cost, do you mean literally? Like it's more expensive than corn meal? I guess I could price it out and do which ever is cheaper, unless corn meal is really the best option.
It is pricier but not prohibitive in my opinion. I've had good luck with flaked corn/maize. Would like to find a way to grind it (and the rolled oats) so they will go through the wort pump without jamming but haven't found a solution for that yet.

I've only used cracked corn in UJSSM, which certainly does the trick for flavor, but I'm loving the AG stuff!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

sadie33 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:21 pm
When you say flaked corn comes at a cost, do you mean literally? Like it's more expensive than corn meal? I guess I could price it out and do which ever is cheaper, unless corn meal is really the best option.
If you go to a feed mill and get your flaked corn, i.e.not a home brew store, it is cheaper than corn meal. I picked up a bag last month at $14/50 lb. Some place like tractor supply or a farm store would probably carry it as well. I do grind it to a course flour to get a bit better yield but certainly not needed. I do it mostly to give me a reason to run my hit and miss engine which I have rigged to power the burr mill. Lets me combine two of my hobbies, old iron and distilling.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

subbrew wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:29 pm
If you go to a feed mill and get your flaked corn, i.e.not a home brew store, it is cheaper than corn meal. I picked up a bag last month at $14/50 lb. Some place like tractor supply or a farm store would probably carry it as well. I do grind it to a course flour to get a bit better yield but certainly not needed. I do it mostly to give me a reason to run my hit and miss engine which I have rigged to power the burr mill. Lets me combine two of my hobbies, old iron and distilling.
I was planning on getting it at my local grain store, it was pretty cheap. Then I can feed left over to my chickens.

When you say you grind it to get a bit better yield- is this because a finer grind helps the yeast "digest" it better? And when you say a better yield, do you mean that by helping the yeast "digest" it better you actually get more product? (I'm still learning and absorbing all this stuff).
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

sadie33 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:31 am

I was planning on getting it at my local grain store, it was pretty cheap. Then I can feed left over to my chickens.

When you say you grind it to get a bit better yield- is this because a finer grind helps the yeast "digest" it better? And when you say a better yield, do you mean that by helping the yeast "digest" it better you actually get more product? (I'm still learning and absorbing all this stuff).
Finer grind exposes more starch surface area to enzymes so you get better conversion of starch to sugar. so it doesn't help the yeast directly but secondary effect due to more sugar.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

subbrew wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:59 am
sadie33 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:31 am

Finer grind exposes more starch surface area to enzymes so you get better conversion of starch to sugar. so it doesn't help the yeast directly but secondary effect due to more sugar.
ahhh, I see. thanks
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Many of us, myself included use corn meal for this reason if you don’t have means or access to a good grain mill. It’s definitely more expensive, but extremely easy to work with. It’s the only thing I use when making bourbon. Makes for a tasty drop.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:28 am Many of us, myself included use corn meal for this reason if you don’t have means or access to a good grain mill. It’s definitely more expensive, but extremely easy to work with. It’s the only thing I use when making bourbon. Makes for a tasty drop.
+1
Then add 1/3 or so ground up jungle oats as well.

:D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:22 pm Fun fact. Wheat malt has MORE enzymes than barley. Kinda what got me down this wheat mixed grain bill to begin with.
Hey, I didn’t know that. Do you malt your own wheat? If so, is there a link to a good ‘how-to’ for malting wheat? I’m pinched for space, but because malted barley has become cost prohibitive, I now have an empty bin and another bin full of dry wheat. I’m up for trying to malt some wheat to use in a new grain bill I’ve just started working with….corn/rice/wheat. Have been using Amalase and Glucoamalase for enzymes, but the malted wheat may be a cost reduction plus.

Now daze I’ve more time than money….
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

Of all the recipes here, this is the only one I wrote down and came back to confirm before starting my own. ;-)
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:33 pm Squeezin is a labor of love. It sucks no matter what. Flaked corn has the added benefit of being pre-gelled but it comes at a cost.
……
I already have a mop bucket. :thumbup: I bought it while fermenting my first sweet feed grain. I actually like squeezing, though I think this has a bigger grain bill than my sweet feed.

laughing out loud, I may have ‘discovered’ mop bucket squeezing….but there is a easier, better way!
Meet La isabella
Meet La isabella
She retrieves 5 out of possible 5 ½ gallons, takes about 20 minutes for a 20L, half the mess, quarter of the post cleanup time, costs about $65 US.

Takes the time and fuss out of fermenting on the grain!
bez
Swill Maker

Post by bez »

I've looked over a few pages skipping around and don't seem to see the % break down for scaling purposes. Does anyone happen to have them?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

10.5 lb total. 7 corn or 67%, .5 lb Honey malt or 4.8%, 1 lb each white wheat, red wheat and pale malt at 9.5%. I use 2.3 lb grain per gallon so # corn = Gallons x 2.3 x .67. Honey malt is gallons x 2.3 x .048 etc for the others