Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bez
Swill Maker

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by bez »

subbrew wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 pm 10.5 lb total. 7 corn or 67%, .5 lb Honey malt or 4.8%, 1 lb each white wheat, red wheat and pale malt at 9.5%. I use 2.3 lb grain per gallon so # corn = Gallons x 2.3 x .67. Honey malt is gallons x 2.3 x .048 etc for the others
Thank you!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Did you filter it before you put it in the bottle? If not, it might simply be sediment.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

my house smells amazing! I finally got this going, had no problems. After the first time I mixed it with the paint mixer a bit splashed on my hand so I ate it. It was really good! I told my husband I was going to serve it for breakfast with maple syrup. :lol: When I took some out this morning to get my O.G. (1.063)I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I can't wait to run this!
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

sadie33 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:40 pm my house smells amazing! I finally got this going, had no problems. After the first time I mixed it with the paint mixer a bit splashed on my hand so I ate it. It was really good! I told my husband I was going to serve it for breakfast with maple syrup. :lol: When I took some out this morning to get my O.G. (1.063)I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I can't wait to run this!
I can't say exactly where it came from, but the last batch of this I made started to smell like cornbread and caramel as it was mashing! It was a real problem. Made me really hungry. The next bourbon I made was a sour mash and didn't smell nearly as good. Not bad, just not as good.

I've got the white dog in a corney keg getting proofed down and awaiting its oak and I keep dipping in... Good stuff! Going to make a second batch out of cornmeal (instead of flaked corn) to see how much difference that makes.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vanilla beans

Post by BoomTown »

ausibatla wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:18 pm I've been reading through the blogs and Google Search for info on adding Vanilla beans to my HBB.
I find a lot about adding cut pieces to bottles and half a bean to a 5 liter keg etc, etc. I want to
chuck some beans into my 50 liter charred American Oak keg but I can find nothing anywhere that
can tell me how many beans to drop in or for how long. I was guessing that maybe I would put about
three beans in a gauze bag on a piece of string and hang them in the keg until I notice a satisfactory
taste then withdraw the bag. Any advice or (sensible :D ) suggestions.
Cheers. :thumbup:
My practice is to use oak until the color is as dark as I like, the drop ¼ of a bean into it. I age in ½ gallon mason jars at 130 proof, usually 4 months minimum. Checking it once a week, my spirit usually achieves what I look after about 3 weeks later.

It darkens a bit, but that works great after filtering and cutting back to 90 proof. After the taste comes up, I pull out the beans, and let it age. I usually make about 3 gallon (120p) per Spirit run. After it’s aged, I cut it to 90p, breaking ½ gallons into 750L bottles.

Don’t drink much, so checking my inventory, I find I’ve several gallon now over 3 years old. Those are great jugs too! I find I’m usually drinking my stuff after it reaches 6 to 12 months, just cause it’s a quality control check point. That means, I’ve always got some of “the good stuff” available for when company drops by. I never sell any, but frequently send guest drinkers away with a jug of “that good old Mountain Dew!”.

Lately I’ve been introducing charred Maple and some Apple too. That 6 month tasting is about 60 days out now. Will decide about supplemental herb tastes then, if needed.

That’s just me though. :wave:
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I'm having a lot of clumping on the bottom of my fermenter. I did not have this the first time I did this mash. I did grind my corn a bit finer not quite corn meal, but a lot finer then last time.

Is this normal? I use my metal spatula to dig it off the bottom, then I break it up with the paint stirrer. When I go back an hour later, all the finer particles are clumped on the bottom again.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

It wasn't caked on the bottom this time (3rd stir), so I'm guessing it's normal with the finer grind.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I had this problem in my last bourbon run with flaked maize. I mashed in the corn and walked away for a bit too long and basically made polenta in the bottom! Lots of time dredging it up with a mash paddle and mixing jiffy mixer. And that was with high temp enzymes!

My takeaway is to mash in, add enzyme, then stir at 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, and an hour, then let sit overnight to cool. More stirring is better early on.

Ultimately everything loosened up with the barley and through the ferment and it seems like I got a good yield. Break up those dough balls as best you can and see what you get!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

TwoSheds wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:20 pm I had this problem in my last bourbon run with flaked maize. I mashed in the corn and walked away for a bit too long and basically made polenta in the bottom! Lots of time dredging it up with a mash paddle and mixing jiffy mixer. And that was with high temp enzymes!

My takeaway is to mash in, add enzyme, then stir at 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, and an hour, then let sit overnight to cool. More stirring is better early on.

Ultimately everything loosened up with the barley and through the ferment and it seems like I got a good yield. Break up those dough balls as best you can and see what you get!
thanks. I usually stir every hour. The first 2 stirs I did have to dig it off the bottom, but my third stir it didn't really cake. The paint mixer breaks up the clumps pretty quick. I had to be careful though 'cause I was in the house. On the 4th stir it was all mixed in good, added my other grains, gave it a good stir and I'll pitch the yeast in the morning.

I'm wondering if I will get a bit bigger yield because I did grind the corn a bit more. I also tossed the other grains in for another grind. We'll see. (and by grind, I mean my food processor :lol: )
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

FWIW, I think a lot of the conventional wisdom around grinding fine comes from the beer folks who denature the enzymes with a boil before fermenting. As distillers we usually let things continue to cool then hit 'em with the yeast. Conversion continues over a longer period of time, even as the yeast starts to kick in.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

TwoSheds wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:20 pm I had this problem in my last bourbon run with flaked maize. I mashed in the corn and walked away for a bit too long and basically made polenta in the bottom! Lots of time dredging it up with a mash paddle and mixing jiffy mixer. And that was with high temp enzymes!

I don't walk away while it is heating. I get the water to about 165, add corn and HT enzyme, use paint mixer to get rid of all the dough balls, then a mash paddle and continue to stir until I hit about 195. That is usually about 25 to 30 minutes of stirring for 25 lb of corn in 10 gallons of water. I then turn off the heat, wrap it up and go do something else for 2 to 3 hrs.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

That should be enough stirring to get you started, for sure! I do the other way around, my heat is internal so I just use it to heat water. I get the water up to 195 or so then stir in all my corn, add enzymes, and let it sit overnight.

I seem to get good conversion but it's easy to get distracted and forget to stir.
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

My first AG was this recipe and it is outstanding! Top kudos to ShineOn for this!
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Me also, my first AG was this receipt and it came out great. I'm building ShineOn's temperature controlled fermenter now.
Thanks ShineOn!!
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

I'm planning my first big batch tomorrow, but not sure how well the 200l pickle barrel will hold temps wrapped in bubble wrap and blankets for the corn stage. I was setting up today and had a thought about hooking up my 2 inch shotgun condenser to my boiler and sinking it in the mash to circulate boiling water during the corn "cook" to keep the temp up. Anyone else used something similar?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Beefer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:43 pm I'm planning my first big batch tomorrow, but not sure how well the 200l pickle barrel will hold temps wrapped in bubble wrap and blankets for the corn stage. I was setting up today and had a thought about hooking up my 2 inch shotgun condenser to my boiler and sinking it in the mash to circulate boiling water during the corn "cook" to keep the temp up. Anyone else used something similar?
How much can you cook at a time? I do 24 lb or corn with 12 gallons of water. If I get it to 195, I can cover my pot, drape a blanket over it and there is enough thermal mass to keep it above 185 for 2 hrs. It all depends on the mass you can put in it. 5 gallons at a time will not hold heat long, 20 gallons at at time will
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

I have a 50l boiler but exposed element, was thinking boiling up the first 50 and adding a quarter of the corn mix and repeat until I get the whole lot in, but no idea how long the temp will hold when its all in. Was thinking of running the boiler and pumping it through a submerged condenser (ends cling wrapped so I dont need to clean it out after) to keep the temp up.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Beefer wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:41 pm I have a 50l boiler but exposed element, was thinking boiling up the first 50 and adding a quarter of the corn mix and repeat until I get the whole lot in, but no idea how long the temp will hold when its all in. Was thinking of running the boiler and pumping it through a submerged condenser (ends cling wrapped so I dont need to clean it out after) to keep the temp up.
Your idea should work. Perhaps someone else that uses a pot with an internal element can chime in. My worry is not so much that it will drop too much in the barrel, it is if adding you 50 liters of boiler water to about 30 lbs of corn will still have high enough temp even at the start. Couple of variables are what temp water boils at where you live, and the temperature of the corn at the start. (water boils at 202 F at my elevation).

One other thing to look at is the temp rating of the pump you plan to use. I don't think the pond pump I used for my condenser would like boiling water.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Beefer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:43 pm I'm planning my first big batch tomorrow

It will still be 150 the next day, if your diligent at insulating. Every time you add boiling water it warms the mashing barrel.

You have seen my large batch thread, right?

viewtopic.php?t=65703

It's a big thread, but it progresses through different scenarios you'll come across.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I have a 50 gallon stainless BOP that I fill to 45 gallons. I start with 30 gallons and use an online beer "strike temperature calculator" to determine my mash-in temp.

I bring the water up to that with the internal element then shut off (and unplug) the element and stir in my corn. It takes about 24 hours with insulation to come down to my next mash-in temp for the barley/malts (I also use the strike temp calc for that.) Then it's another day for that to come down to pitching temp.

You'll have 'equipment losses' if you're transferring into another pot. Less with plastic than with metal probably, but you'll need to compensate for that. I just leave everything in the BOP until it's done fermenting.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

Thanks for the help guys - 22kg cracked corn (milled down to cornmeal) ,2.5kg honey malt and 1.8kg quick oats all resting comfortably at 75C (167F) after the third 50L boiler addition. Its holding fairly steady, so didn't need to worry so much, just covered with blankets and now time to relax.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Yeah, yeah, I know it's wayyyyyy too early to pass judgements, but I grabbed my SS straw & sipped a sample of my all grain & sugarhead HBB's that are 6-7 weeks old, and wowsers -- I really like where it's headed!!!

1st timer on this recipe, so go getcha some!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

rubberduck71 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:01 pm Yeah, yeah, I know it's wayyyyyy too early to pass judgements, but I grabbed my SS straw & sipped a sample of my all grain & sugarhead HBB's that are 6-7 weeks old, and wowsers -- I really like where it's headed!!!

1st timer on this recipe, so go getcha some!
I’m 9 months in on one batch and 5 on another, both aging in p BadMo’s and tasting great!. I did a sugar head off the spent grains on the first batch and it’s better than Ujssm to my tastes by a long shot in flavor and flexibility.

This is a great recipe. I’ve ordered grain to do some more. As a note, I have 100 lbs of Walmart corn and will not use it again. I thought I had a scorch, but turned out it was the Walmart deer corn. Tastes like fuel oil. Even turns UJSSM nasty, Went back to TS cracked corn for now.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

This recipe is great indeed. I’ve got a bunch of aged HBB goodness from my 5 gallon Gibbs barrel sitting in a glass carboy. I’ve been proofing it down one bottle at a time, as needed. I have a cork stopper sitting loosely on the top to continue the aging process.

I refilled that barrel with 5 more gallons of HBB. My goal is to never run out.

I’m thinking this recipe is a life long keeper.
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

Finally pitched the yeast just under an hour ago and it's already firing along. Really happy with managing a 1.066 SG and didn't need to worry about any over technical backup heating plans. Should have realised it's tried and true for a reason, just get a bit more paranoid with the big batches, as it would be a waste to stuff them up.
Beefer
Novice

Post by Beefer »

Just on my first spirit run of this today - 20l of low wines and 25l of left over wash running slowly at 50% pot still power. I thought I'd try a gumball with the squeezings, 25kg sugar, a mix of hot backset and fresh filtered water. Couple of days in and the gumball is firing along but there's a little bit of funk in there as well. I've never run anything infected before, just thought I would check with you guys if its better to run as soon as it finishes or let the infection run its course for a longer time?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Run it fresh. Just my 2 cents.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Honey Bear Bourbon Cheers to Shine On!

Post by Almtngoat »

For his Honey Bear bourbon and the great base to expand on! Even the 2nd go round using Jimbo's sour mash sugar wash method on the remains is awesome! There is so much to learn here if you read, yeah I am controversial at times because that's what makes us think, not stagnate. I have never been one to follow a set narrative, we learn and grow by challenging it and as long as you don't blow yourself up doing it it's a good thing. Cheers, Shine On, thank you! I'm coming with one of of own though :D
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
nhannath
Novice

Post by nhannath »

HI - I'm just after some advice on the best way to distill this on my equipment. I have brewed 15 gallons and have a 5 gallon reflux still.

Above the 2" opening I can put up 4 bubble plates and then a small condenser. A 180 loop comes after that which then goes down into my main condenser. I also got a 6, 12 and 24" plain stainless sections with tri clamp fittings on each end.

In full reflux mode I can produce circa 90% abv distillation but I feel any character generated by the honey and wheat / oats would be lost doing that.

If I set the still up with a 12" SS tube , no reflux but full condenser would this give me the desired result. What kind of proof are you looking at this coming out at (120 from what I've read for the barrel).

If I set this up this way what is the difference between a stripping run and a spirit run. Is it purely the starting abv of the mash or speed of run etc?

Been Homebrewing for a long time so the AG part was somewhat normal (even though I have never cooked corn for beer before, only used a small amount once ever so that part was very interesting) new to distilling so thanks in advance for any knowledge and apologies if I'm asking dumb questions - I'm trying not to ..

Cheers

Neal
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Neal,

Given what you've got I would do this:

Pot still mode: 3 strips of a scant 4 gallons each, then do a spirit run (still pot still) with the low wines. Take reasonably tight cuts and save your feints.

Dump the feints and your remaining mash in, stack 3 plates on top with a reflux setup and do a one-and-done run on that. Take tighter cuts.

Compare white, then throw some oak into the pot still stuff to age while you enjoy the refluxed stuff white. Or age it all if you don't like the white.

Just my opinion, but might get the wheels turning.

Enjoy!