Moderator: Site Moderator

frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Re: PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Post by frodo »

well,,,,It was funny, you at least gotta give me that,
, you are right, the subject can and does go south in a hurry when ..LOL oppps

back to prepping In my opinion, if you live in a city forget about jumping in your supped up
4 wheel drive monster go anywhere shtf truck, you will be abandoning that when it runs out of gas
on the highway in a huge parking lot just like every one else,
the only practical way to get out, is using mutt and jeff [your feet]
As I said before, we learned a whole lot during Kartrina, no gas, long lines, interstate is a parking lot with looters going car to car stealing.
what you need, is a place already picked out . away from society, that has your provisions already in it
and all you carry is your back pack to reach it.

can you start a fire with what is in your pocket? this question needs to be answered yes
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Used to have a modern flint-and-steel thingy; little, worked great, but I haven't seen it for years...

Geoff
The Baker
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

if you break down out in the bush and it is getting cold, or you have wolves about
keep that old flint steel in your pocket, and use your jumper cables to make a spark
on a rag with a little gas on it. lol
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

9 volt battery and steel wool works every time...big ol' car battery OH YEAH ! I have a mini bic on my car keys...I know how to make and use a fire bow, and I know what a bitch it is to use, if conditions aren't perfect.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

thecroweater wrote:Rightyo guys we realise this is in off topic but keep the posts to the subject. Lets not have anymore gun rights PRO OR AGAINST as it adds nothing useful or positive to the thread and more often than not gets political for some weird reason. If you want to post specific to guns there is a thread titled rifles but gun rights like any semi political discussion tends to bring out extreme views on both sides and we have a global community here with valid differing viewpoints.
I must admit I was taken back a bit by how quickly this went sideways...so Thank you croweater!

I always thought that if you had a geiger counter you were a survivalist...(I think all survivalist have one) if you didn't you were just a prepper...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I don't have a geiger counter but I could make one from my junk pile :lol:
As they say "one mans junk is another mans treasure"
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I do have one...It's an Civil Defense geiger counter, bright yellow, from the 60's, it was $15 at a junk shop...I'm a sucker for cheap toys.
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

shadylane wrote:I don't have a geiger counter but I could make one from my junk pile :lol:
As they say "one mans junk is another mans treasure"
Homemade Geiger FTW
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thats a classic Kiwi bruce . Its probably old enough to actually be fine for the job

We got a new one at work but it has so much semiconductor tech in it I doubt it would servive the EMP wave that was caused by the nuke you are presumably checking fall out from .
We got an old Geiger Muller tube ( the bit that detects the radiation ) lying around snce the seventies .... LOL you want to see the nixie tube counter unit it plugs into .
Seriously though EMP is something to be concidered . Valve technology was fairly immune to it unlike modern semiconductor equipment .
Haa now I’m imagining gettng all those old car radios with their vibrator packs as upconverters to rn all the valve equipment I’ll need to servive off the remaining few amphours stored in my old lead acid batteries .
Guessn those new fangled solar panels won’t keep my battery charged after the EMP hits .

Shit , now I’ll need to build a remote control rover to send out of my bunker to check the radiation levels are safe to come out . :moresarcasm:
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

serveimage.gif
serveimage.gif (148.19 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
There is a guy in Europe (mabey more than one now) that makes big, high quality nixie tubes by hand.
nixe.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The only tool threatening Straya with nukes was krud haircut Kim of gangnam fame and they got zero chance ats of getting halfway here.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

For the longest time, I could never remember his name...I just called him Kung Pao Chicken or just Kung Pao, so that has stuck with our family and friends...Sloppy, chicken and nuts. :P
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

I made a para cord hammock that doubles as a fish net

works rather well,
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

thecroweater wrote:The only tool threatening Straya with nukes was krud haircut Kim of gangnam fame and they got zero chance ats of getting halfway here.
kiwi Bruce wrote:For the longest time, I could never remember his name...I just called him Kung Pao Chicken or just Kung Pao, so that has stuck with our family and friends...Sloppy, chicken and nuts. :P
Making fun of politicians doesn't break a rule here? Or perhaps because it's only an Asian third world politician it's ok?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Or maybe because he is a malicious dictator nut job making all sorts of crazy threats. Der wo ffs yes I get your angle but keep it real, Bin Laden was a politician of sorts, so was Adolf. The above discussion has jack F all to do with left or right politics so I think maybe cut the fained indignation champ
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Well said, Thecroweater.
Back to prepping,,, I am reasonably prepped for many things. I'm not seriously worried about zombies, but I prep for many realistic scenario's.
I live in Hurricane country, which requires it's own preperation. We also recieve Noreasters delivering more than 3ft of snow in 24 hours, requiring a different type of preperation. Recently, we had riots, and within 4 hours the nearest city was on fire, just 20 minutes down the road. Another type of prep. We've had an earthquake, and get floods at least twice a year. We've even been invaded by the British in 1812.

Yea, I prep.
ANYTHING can happen here at any moment.
If you've seen footage of a Black Friday Door Buster Sale, or a post game "celebration" when a basketball team wins and cop cars burn, you'll understand how little faith I have in college kids and hippies helping out the community and everyone holding hands during a major disaster.
...And those are just short term disasters. Mass communication or infrastructure failure is a real probability, and we're only 8 minutes from long term catastrophy if the sun decides to flare.

The key to surviving long term catstrophy is to be prepared and outlast the unprepaired.
Until help arrives, YOU are the only one who can keep you and your family safe, fed, warm, and hopefull.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Fruit Squeezer wrote: I live in Hurricane country, which requires it's own preperation. We also recieve Noreasters delivering more than 3ft of snow in 24 hours, requiring a different type of preperation. Recently, we had riots, and within 4 hours the nearest city was on fire, just 20 minutes down the road. Another type of prep. We've had an earthquake, and get floods at least twice a year. We've even been invaded by the British in 1812.
I don't really like telling people what to do...but man, you should MOVE.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Man, I'm gonna be 70 in two months and I wasn't prepped for that....but I made it anyhow. Guess I'll muddle through with my gun's and survival skills whatever happens next and at least make a good showing by dying with my boots on !!.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

If you act like you know what you're doing, you can stock quite the med kit at TSC or the local feed store.

Soap, toothpaste, over the counter antibiotic cream, anti diarrhea meds, water purification tablets,...all cheap to acquire and won't expire.

Being Prepared means being ready, educated and not necessarily hoarding stuff. Learn a little bit about everything. Be the Renaissance Man.

From real SHTF survivors.

“I was a paramedic. In these conditions, my knowledge was my wealth. Be curious and skilled. In these conditions, the ability to fix things is more valuable than gold. Items and supplies will inevitably run out, but your skills will keep you fed.”

In the “Siege of Sarajevo” museum, there is a bike on display. This bike not only helped its owner survive sniper fire, but was used as a generator for radios and other electrical devices. Today a simple solar cell may be great for small device electricity.

Having a still will be great, but knowing how to build one will be GOLD.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

There is a ''Kid" who survived the conflict his name is Selco (think that's how it's spelled) wrote a book called "Sarajevo Diaries" I have only read a small portion but it is a realistic look at what a SHTF situation is like.

edit..."Sarajevo Diaries" no it's not...see the new post, Kiwi
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

His name is Selco, this is from an interview he gave after the conflict...
How the SHTF in Bosnia: Selco Asks Americans, “Does this sound familiar?”
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/shtf- ... americans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
and this one...also a "good" read...
SHTF School: Selco’s “One Year In Hell” Course
https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress. ... ll-course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I saw this on a bookshelf in Walmart today. I browsed through it for a few seconds and put it back because I was in a hurry. It looked a bit fluffy to me but I would not mind examining it a bit closer. It might make a good present for a city slicker or a millennial who becomes despondent when not having a working cell phone.

The Official John Wayne Handy Book for Men: Essential Skills for the Rugged Individualist
Omnia mea mecum porto
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

DAD300 wrote:If you act like you know what you're doing, you can stock quite the med kit at TSC or the local feed store.

Soap, toothpaste, over the counter antibiotic cream, anti diarrhea meds, water purification tablets,...all cheap to acquire and won't expire.

Being Prepared means being ready, educated and not necessarily hoarding stuff. Learn a little bit about everything. Be the Renaissance Man.

From real SHTF survivors.

“I was a paramedic. In these conditions, my knowledge was my wealth. Be curious and skilled. In these conditions, the ability to fix things is more valuable than gold. Items and supplies will inevitably run out, but your skills will keep you fed.”

In the “Siege of Sarajevo” museum, there is a bike on display. This bike not only helped its owner survive sniper fire, but was used as a generator for radios and other electrical devices. Today a simple solar cell may be great for small device electricity.

Having a still will be great, but knowing how to build one will be GOLD.
If you seriously want to get into stocking some meds, here in the states it is illegal to buy antibiotics across the counter you need a doctors prescription, BUT. Fish antibiotics is the same antibiotics that humans use but just a different dosage and you can buy them all day long with out a doctors prescriptions
you just need to due a little research on what can be used for what and dosage by weight
a-fish-anti1-1024x384.jpg
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I do believe these are the five antibiotics that "Patriot Nurse" recommends...good call frodo, now I'll have to ck my shelves to see if I've got them all.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I stumbled upon this thread again, because it and others are now located under the new classification of “Other Hobbies and Projects”.

I'm studying up on dairy topics at the moment and it occurred to me that lactating milk cows literally are walking food factories. But a milk cow is a huge responsibility. A good cow can produce 6 or 7 gallons of milk a day; enough that the excess milk will be coming out of your ears unless you have 6 or 7 kids to drink it, churn it or turn it into cheese.

I was just wondering if anyone here goes to the local livestock auctions or knows the price of a young Jersey or Guernsey milk cow these days ?
Omnia mea mecum porto
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

A dairy cow will cost anywhere from few 100 to few thousand. Id recommend talkin to a local farmer to get one instead of auction. Will add more later
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

On a milk cow. Id recommend getting one that has been milking for 6-7 months already and bred. She will be far enuf into lactation that until you have nack of milking it wont hurt cow if dont get all milk it wont hurt production as bad. And it takes awhile to get rythem n nack of milking by hand. Mackine milkers are another option but they also has their downfalls. Would also recommend seeing if farmer would let you come to farm 2x a day for week to milk just to make sure your up for the commitment. Sick, drunk or tired cow needs milked. Late lactation can go to milking once a day. Then there is the factor of a 1000+\- aniimal gettin grumpy n kickin, yes no matter how calm n friendly they are they get grumpy
big help
Dunder
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

So lets say a cow costs $500...how much powdered milk can you put up with five Benjamin's...a shi#ton...isn't that easier than all the learning to milk, everyday work and looking after her/them 24/7-365...AND (lesson from my Grandmother) don't name her! you don't name food! This may not sound hard NOW...but hand raise a calf, having her bond with you and have total trust in you...this is VERY hard! Been there, done that, have cow poop on my Tee-shirt to prove it, Jed's not the only one here on HD to milk a herd...not hand milking, we had a herring-bone milking shed. Ninety nine head, two and a half hours, morning and night...until they went dry, then there was next season...good memories, lot of work though. Take my word, I wouldn't even think of doing it today.
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Fri May 10, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

My grandparent where both dairy farmers and many close freinds were n are still. I have a family cow now because its cheaper for me to feed a cow than buy milk. We’ve been known to go through 2 gallons a day. Yup she has a name and at the end of her days she gonna be burger. The only critter that aint gonna be ate is my boar hog. Every animal her has name n its usualy food related
big help
Dunder
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

We have Dexter cows, a small breed (~600lbs) for meat and dairy. In AR I can have five on an acre in the summer and they forage the woods like goats. And once you have too many...make an appointment at freezer camp for the extra.
Tootz rr.jpg
Powdered milk won't reproduce its self like a couple of cows.

All ours have names- TBone, Tasty, Tyrion, Tinker, Buffy, Muffy, Bossey, Lil Bit, Lil Mac, and so on...and they answer to them.

Officially on the equipment list as, Autonomous Mobile Waste Digesters. They can clean up about 150gallons of stillage a day.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005