PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Post by jedneck »

I’ve been thinkin about gettin a dexter bull to bred my jersey/holstien cross and a lil baldy face heifer. But its hard to justify gettin a bull for only 2 cows. My normal routine is get pair of bull calves n steer one n use other as a bull then turn him into burger.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I've got to admit ignorance about Dexter cattle. Just looked up their info though. When I was growing up on the ranch/farm (in the Ozarks) we raised only polled Herefords, aside from a couple of milk cows, sheep, horses, chickens and catfish. The majority of cattle back then in the 1960s were unsurprisingly, mixed breeds. You'd see Black Angus frequently, Charolais and even Brahma occasional – but no Dexters.

On another hand people like some friends in Texas, raise dwarf cows which are like house pets for mowing your front lawn. Maintaining small livestock like that isn't much trouble and the main reason for having the mutants is to get agricultural discounts on fuel and taxes.
Omnia mea mecum porto
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Charious r tnemoat ignoant steer ever
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I was raised in Tillamook County Oregon.
When I was 11 I walked 2.5 miles every morning at 3AM to chase in cows.
When I was 12 I bought a bike.
You have had Tillamook cheese?
It's from the land of trees, cheese and ocean breeze.
I have a lot of stories about working on dairy farms, but at 19 I asked myself if there was a better way to make a living.
My answer was - yes.

PS... Farmers reserve is to die for.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

nerdybrewer wrote:I was raised in Tillamook County Oregon.
When I was 11 I walked 2.5 miles every morning at 3AM to chase in cows.
When I was 12 I bought a bike.
You have had Tillamook cheese?
It's from the land of trees, cheese and ocean breeze.
I have a lot of stories about working on dairy farms, but at 19 I asked myself if there was a better way to make a living.
My answer was - yes.

PS... Farmers reserve is to die for.
In Tillamook, I love spring salmon fishing at that big pool on the Trask just below the hatchery. My boy caught his first salmon there a few years back. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.

Otis
Attachments
Fish on!  Landed actually.
Fish on! Landed actually.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I am a stay in place prepper.
I am single here, so my business stays pretty private.
I have food, ammo, and the means to store water when needed.
Why I prep? I live on the Gulf of Mexico, and we get wind storms, then there is all the political unrest in this country. You just never know what might happen, and it is better to be somewhat prepared than not to be.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Ok always thought prepping was a fair bit of wank and a a bit of forethought was a lot more sensible. So for the first time in a decade of living here I didn't plant a garden, no fresh veg no canning no sauces to make and stripped out supermarkets are kinda making me regret the decision to take a break this year. For the first time in a long while I'm thinking of a gun safe in terms of it being a sound investment as I can't keep them here without one and mine was stolen years ago.
I'm afraid I don't have the faith in my fellow citizens I once did and am finding myself closing ranks with certain family members a bit.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Used to live in Florida under the hurricane gun. Prepping was a seasonal thing beginning in May. Moved some years back and now wish I’d kept at it. Nice garden going here but can’t seem to grow bread, keeps gettin’ moldy. I have spent the last two days reloading tho’. Mostly 380 and 9’s, but a good bit of long gun stuff from 556 to 30-06. Plenty big stock of “essential oils” and “sanitizer” on hand! Did a nice chocolate stout and some fabulous coffee buchet. Maybe work up a nice IPA tomorrow. Never know what the next day will bring and thanks to the virus and the oil fight ain’t much left in my retirement fund but wishes, and they ain’t getting them.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Who would have thought
Toilet paper would be such a valuable commodity :lol:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Or it seems more important than stocking up on food or other essentials.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:48 am Who would have thought
Toilet paper would be such a valuable commodity :lol:
Efficient Technique is required ... AKA ... the one sheet approach ... thanks Dad , don’t say I never remembered all you taught me :thumbup:

1) insert digit
FE41D21D-58AC-4ADB-B3D4-FDD63273F258.jpeg
2) wipe
89157A8F-36C0-4642-9737-E2BB51049384.jpeg
3) clean
B04C4DCD-9530-442B-BA13-E257B439D6FE.jpeg
( no peanut butter or vegemite was harmed in this post )
However one piece of dunny paper was sacrificed fir the good of all
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 am Or it seems more important than stocking up on food or other essentials.
It could be an evolvement on the old theory of “ Iff’n you don’t eat , you can’t shit .... and if you can’t shit you die “

Maybe its become.

“Iff’n you don’t eat you can’t shit so you can’t wipe.... and if you can’t wipe , you die “

So it’s logical to stock up on crap paper .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

:shock: :shock: Geeeeezus Yummy I just finished dinner ...did you really have to do that :wtf:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Looks like a ranger dump joke my brother used to pull
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
dragon613
Novice

Post by dragon613 »

Hmm. Only a few months of dust and there seems to be a little left, hell ill try a sip

For some people "prepping" means spending money on things that make them feel secure, usually lots of money, for those same people a "hobby" is a when you buy something expensive to enjoy being around it till that gets boring, but these are ways of thinking reserved for those who have that money, I don't

So for me preparing myself for whatever the future might bring means collecting knowledge in my head, so that when something unexpected happens I can make good decisions. And during my time on this earth a whole lot of unexpected things have come my way, and I've learned an awful lot of things along the way, but making good decisions is an incredibly rare skill in a crisis, just watch how a crowd of onlookers responds to almost any kind of emergency, half stand still and the others do the one thing that could make it worse, or run in the wrong direction. There's also a big difference between knowing what the right thing to do in an emergency is, and actually doing it when the moment arrives

Some people can't cross the street safely, I've had to pull drunk strangers out of cars driving the wrong way down the road before they killed someone, I guess I didn't have to, but I decided not to watch it happen, crisis come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes it feels like people only intentionally prepare for the ones worth making movies about.

First aid is the skill I consider most important of all, I've been my own doctor my whole life, and I'll never stop learning, raising farm animals and hunting dogs present plenty of opportunities to practice minor surgery and severe trauma treatment, including how to handle difficult patients.

Disasters come in all flavors, extreme weather, pandemics, industrial accidents (I live a couple hundred yards from a compressed gas plant and about 100 ft from a rail spur servicing it and several other industrial sites in the immediate area so I have thought about and am mentally prepared for an industrial explosion, if it's a chlorine spill I'm probably gonna be toast though) famine or drought, engineering disasters, traffic accidents, plane crashes, animal attacks, chemical exposure and human conflict, but like someone up there said, you need to understand what kind of disaster your likely to encounter, and those who fancy themselves "preppers" because they've paid for a whole bunch of stuff, they only ever seem to think about the first and last flavor on that menu, and so often those same people talking about some hypothetical "angry mob" have never experienced human conflict and likely never will.

Here's a d cent litmus test, for nearly any disaster, how frequently have you experienced any incident of this nature in your current home or neighborhood or state, etc. since you moved in, and plan for worst case an order of magnitude greater frequency.

Ex. How often has your town experienced damage from hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, or any other major storms, round here it's usually a few years in between hurricanes actually bringing any widespread damage to the area, this year was our order of magnitude higher, with a record breaking hurricane season, and two impacts to the region, we were prepared, and thankfully didn't need it but we had power and water backup plans, and added to our stockpile of Staples, which nobody should ever be without, and being in a seasonal storm region thats a recurrent pattern year to year,

you don't have to predict the future to be prepared, but you shouldn't be preparing like you can, unless you were visited by yourself from the future and informed of an imminent nuclear war, you don't need 5-10 years worth of dry goods, and in that one instance... You might want to seek medical attention, it could be a tumor

And the same litmus can gauge your risk of human conflict, ask yourself, how many times have I had to defend my current home from Intruders? If the answer is never, then that's probably the likely hood of it ever happening in the future, never, at least in any capacity that would demand you stock an armory beyond a can of pepper spray,

But now not everyone's answer will be no, I for one, in the 3 years I've lived in this spot ive have had to run off thieves, prowlers, and straight up crazy people, from my yard dozens of times, attempted burglars once, I've had to pull my handgun on people twice, one of which led to a citizens arrest, and had to wrestle one gun away from somebody pointed at me in my yard, which if any of you are ever put in that position, yes, taking that gun away from them is the best choice, wait your turn ,dominate, and deflect.

So for me, or anyone else whos answer isn't no, your plan for "an order of magnitude above" well, I've been shopping for body armor. Because I get all that traffic just by living in a bad spot, and all those bad people were just trying to steal something to go buy drugs, if a real disaster hit this region and the motivation became food or water, and our house is the only one around with either, especially water when summers hit 100+, I might be forced to pull that trigger, but let me be clear, the only way I think it would come to that is if someone else starts shooting first, Ive had people pull guns on me before and I just took it away from them before they could use it, actually more than once if you count drunk relatives :)
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Let me say this first off...I dont consider myself a prepper. But, my family is prepared. Raise our own stock, grow our own truck garden. We can, dry salt etc...what we need to, to get by in the lean times. We ain't got a whole lot of folding money, but we ain't going hungry either. When I retired the first time we bought a mountain, built a house and raised our kids there. Musta done a pretty good job, they are all doing pretty well. And they can all fend for themselves, if need be.
Hill folk kinda stick together in the tough times, and lots of family in these hills and hollers. Folks working together can get a whole lot more done than one feller on his own.
I reckon folks will make it thru. May not be easy or fun, but they'll make it. Dont matter if its weather, illness, or whatever.

SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I’ve lived a while and done more than a few things. Retired from the US Army, retired as a State police officer. I used to think “preppers” were fringe people that wore tinfoil hats and thought the world was out to get them. Not so much now. With the response to the flippin’ china flu and the rise of street riots, the threat of aggression from other powers that smell our weakness, and the tearing down of America, I’ve changed a lot. I look at strangers differently. I’ve got a freezer full and grow what i can. Worst part is, i’ve reloaded and stocked over 100 rounds for each of my primary weapons. Got stock for hundreds more, thousands. It scares me. I want life to go back to how it was, not Mayberry but American, and don’t want to fight. But now, well, ... prepare for war to protect peace. :(
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

SassyFrass wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm Let me say this first off...I dont consider myself a prepper. But, my family is prepared. Raise our own stock, grow our own truck garden. We can, dry salt etc...what we need to, to get by in the lean times. We ain't got a whole lot of folding money, but we ain't going hungry either. When I retired the first time we bought a mountain, built a house and raised our kids there. Musta done a pretty good job, they are all doing pretty well. And they can all fend for themselves, if need be.
Hill folk kinda stick together in the tough times, and lots of family in these hills and hollers. Folks working together can get a whole lot more done than one feller on his own.
I reckon folks will make it thru. May not be easy or fun, but they'll make it. Dont matter if its weather, illness, or whatever.

SF
Well said SassyFrass :thumbup:

Thats the way I look at things . We’ve had our share of bushfires and floods and us neighbours ... we all got each others back .
We all got our strengths and weaknesses . We can help each other get though any shit I’m sure .

Just gotta talk to each other .

Now when it comes to weapons , won’t find a gun in our Neighbourhood .... we are Australia .It’s more bother than its worth .
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Yummy, around my area, guns are considered to be tools, same as hammers and saws. Used for feeding the family and protection of stock from bear, coyotes, etc... I cant wait for neighbors to show up to run of coyotes killing calves, goats, or chickens. I'd end up with no stock. So instead I just take care of the situation as it arises. Then tack the skins to the shop wall for curing.
You always want to use the right tool for the job at hand, was the way I was taught.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

being prepared for the future is just common sense.

However i must say, i'm far more afraid of not livin' than i am afeared of dying.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Prepping is about storing commodities and protecting yourself.Whether it be food, seeds, bullets, water, medical supplies, gasoline, etc. If the shit ever hits the fan, not only will you need supplies for yourself, family and a couple of neighbors, you'll need trading stock. Alcohol will be one of the best mediums for barter and you are making it by the gallon. Unless you are making a fire, that pile of money you have stashed isn't going to do you a bit of good- nor is gold and silver. The private individuals without guns are going to be at the mercy of those that do. The shitstorm in the world is not going to improve, and if it does, it's only temporary.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

So prepping isn't necessarily stocking up as much as it's being able to trade a skill to survive, and as many have already figured out that he who ferments shall be deemed essential (at least I hope so). I have also spent forty years practicing old school tailoring whether by hand, hand crank or treadle, added that I have been restoring vintage sewing machines for decades. Gotta have nice duds while serving liquor right!

The conclusion to this is I'm more likely to grab a bottle, sit in my chair on the porch with my feet up on the rail, a rifle propped up in the corner waiting for the end to come.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Desvio wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am I'm more likely to grab a bottle, sit in my chair on the porch with my feet up on the rail, a rifle propped up in the corner waiting for the end to come.

That's an attitude only attained by age and wisdom. Past a certain point you realize that your body will not much longer continue to cooperate with your plans to survive indefinitely. So what's the point of doomsday preparation? Young people though think they are indestructible and that old age is very far away. The current generation of youth is much farther removed than their ancestors were, from their own food chain and the brutal realities of life. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are the reality for today's youth. If they get hungry they can simply jump in the car and drive down to McDonald's. The sensibility of preparation should be taught to youth, but teaching youth anything is an unlikely proposition.

It was just a short time ago that horses powered our lives (the older you get the more you realize that a century is a short time). We used horses to cultivate most of our foods and we relied upon them for transportation. Horses are still scattered around much of the countryside today, but they don't get used much. Mostly owners just sit by and watch horses eat.

I once raised and trained horses, but only saddle stock. At my age I've come to appreciate the practicality of using the horse as a draft animal instead. To haul multiple people or dry goods around. In my youth I saw several old leather harnesses and other antique equipment sitting in the tack room of my grandfather's barn, but never tried to put any of it to use.

I found this little video among others, to be useful and educational. As I watched though, I expected that Shetland to reach around and bite the guy or to kick him at any second. In my experience, Shetland ponies are some of the meanest and most disagreeable little shits God ever made.

Omnia mea mecum porto
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

contrahead wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:40 am
That's an attitude only attained by age and wisdom. Past a certain point you realize that your body will not much longer continue to cooperate with your plans to survive indefinitely. So what's the point of doomsday preparation? Young people though think they are indestructible and that old age is very far away. The current generation of youth is much farther removed than their ancestors were, from their own food chain and the brutal realities of life. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are the reality for today's youth. If they get hungry they can simply jump in the car and drive down to McDonald's. The sensibility of preparation should be taught to youth, but teaching youth anything is an unlikely proposition.
I plan to hang around long enough to take a few idiots out with me. Used to be a good planet until the politicians got a hold on it.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Contrahead, done a little gee hawing, as a kid, on the farm. Horses, ponies, mules, and goats harnessed 'em and worked them.
Ponies are sometimes mean little buggers. But you hook them to a rock sledge for a few hours and the mean just gets tired.
Pound for pound a mule will outwork, out pull, out walk or just plain out stubborn any horse I was ever around.
Didnt mean to get off topic, but all kinds of animals have been put in harness. When surviving is hard, folks do what they gotta. Just my opinion.
SF

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I have fit the prepper mold most of my life. a few years ago I bought a house

with an indoor swimming pool, so that among the other perks I always have

28,000 gallons of water on hand if my well stops working. this is in addition

to the standard level of preparedness that I deem necessary. the enlightenment

came one day in a hypothetical daydream. the scenario is this. I have 28,000

gallons of fresh water in my house and someone pulls up to my front door

in an abrams tank and announces that they have 28,000 friends that each

need a gallon of water while I stand I front of this tank with my .40 flint.

the other half of that equation is that my bug out bag would need to be

2 kenworths with 48' freuhauf backpacks.

just sayin.

edit; this October was the first time I bought TP since October of 2018 8)
be water my friend
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Constructing a small wagon or buggy from used dirt bike (motorcycle) parts - might be a fun project. Something that can be drawn by animals if a future crisis caused petroleum fuels to vanish, or something that with minimal conversion could be pulled by an ATV or lawn tractor in the meantime. I've got the welding equipment and a couple dirt bike frames laying about that could be chopped up and used for the wheels and other parts. Other bike frames can be easily found if need be.

Motorcycle wheels are very stout and can carry a lot of weight. They also usually come with quality, ready installed brakes. One problem or issue that I foresee is in the construction of a robust front axle that can be steered or turned. Therefore I've been studying the front axles of wagons and buggies, both old and new.
front_axle.jpg
<also>
http://www.imrankhalique.net/uploads/2/ ... 5_orig.jpg
https://assets.website-files.com/5b2015 ... -under.jpg
http://www.fenixcarriages.co.uk/Phaeton.html
Omnia mea mecum porto
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

I try to stay stocked up on medicines, canned and dry goods and have lived without electricity or modern appliances before. Most of all I stay stocked up on booze and supplies for making more. That said, survival beyond collapse is a younger person's game. I'm over 65 and couldn't live for long without blood pressure meds and anti-histamines. As the biosphere degrades and society unravels -- a process in motion -- do the best I can to survive. As a writer, I try to spread community consciousness and to stay sane myself -- or at least buzzed enough to enjoy the moment. Life is short. I try to enjoy every day, to cook and eat delicious food and savor good friends and great booze.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I am in no way a prepper. :lolno: I just live out in the middle of nowhere on 120 acres totally off grid. With rabbits, goats, chickens, and soon cows. I spend time in my large garden. Making sure I have plenty of good varieties of vegetables. That are good for canning and or storage. And I save the seeds from Most of them. I enjoy shooting gun competitions that take a lot of ammo to participate in. Also hunt and have built up a good habitat to support that. I’ve been a Ham radio operator for going on 30 years now. And have a good communication network in the radio community. Also have built up a pretty large network of other gardeners, farmers, hunters, competition shooters, and other like minded people in my area. Nope I’m just another homesteader. :ebiggrin:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

I'm surprised on here with all the interest in prepping, and the multitude of comments about how valuable producing alcohol could be in this type of situation, that no one has mentioned cultivating wild yeast.

What happens if you need yeast? What if you find yourself in a situation where you need yeast, but can't buy any?

What are YOU going to do? Can you harvest wild yeast? Do you know how to harvest it? Do you know where to look for it? :mrgreen: