PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Moderator: Site Moderator

Desolus
Novice

Re: PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Post by Desolus »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Did you mod an SKS to get the 7.62X39 ?
nope, it's a custom fat bolt, manual action design, very short throw, 15 degrees... Clearances for the ejected cases were somewhat tricky until i thought about just making the thing a 12 lug fat bolt. you can put a larger mag on it, of course. The tapered round makes it less finicky about chamber cleanliness as well. It uses no standard parts from anything... but it's little more than a tube in a tube, not much to go wrong really. No ejector springs, way oversize magazine and trigger springs (not over powered, just over sized, high number of cycles before failure), there is an ejector pin, it launches the case out of the bolt with precisely as much energy as you throw the bolt back with. The extractor spring is normal size, but easy to replace with a flat head screw driver without taking the entire rifle apart, and there is a compartment in the grip with spare parts. Either way though, I don't think I can carry enough ammo to wear the thing out.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Desolus wrote:
nope, it's a custom fat bolt, manual action design, very short throw, 15 degrees... Clearances for the ejected cases were somewhat tricky until i thought about just making the thing a 12 lug fat bolt. you can put a larger mag on it, of course. The tapered round makes it less finicky about chamber cleanliness as well. It uses no standard parts from anything... but it's little more than a tube in a tube, not much to go wrong really. No ejector springs, way oversize magazine and trigger springs (not over powered, just over sized, high number of cycles before failure), there is an ejector pin, it launches the case out of the bolt with precisely as much energy as you throw the bolt back with. The extractor spring is normal size, but easy to replace with a flat head screw driver without taking the entire rifle apart, and there is a compartment in the grip with spare parts. Either way though, I don't think I can carry enough ammo to wear the thing out.

Ever wonder if you were the problem rather than the solution?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Distillernz, that seems like your getting personal and prodding for a response. If your not a prepper, than this maybe is not your thread. There are plenty other ones for you to enjoy.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Ok so somebody's opinion does not fit in your little box so you don't like it? Land of the free home of the brave freedom of speech? Unless of course, You don't like that speech! Why are you prepping? Step back and see what you are prepping for and why. Q anon
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:If your not a prepper, than this maybe is not your thread. There are plenty other ones for you to enjoy.
The thread is "PREPPING - Yes - No - Why!". So non-preppers are welcome too, right?

I would prep if I would think that my neighbours do. AFAIK they don't.
Worst scenario is that when something really bad happens, that people you don't know around you have guns and use their new options to improve their situation to the detriment of others.
Yes, prepping doesn't mean mainly guns. It also means canned food or fuel or medicine and other things, which won't harm other people.
But in general, if you see a high chance for something really bad, I can understand that you also think about weapons. And if guns are your hobby anyway, you probably know many people who prep. So you will start too sooner or later probably.

And at least in my country prepping and right extreme positions correlate to almost 100%. For people being a minority (race for example) the preppers would be probably more dangerous than the shit on the fan.

Another problem is, if you prep, many people will laugh about. And yes, probably at the end of your life the prepping was useless. This laughing will rise the agressivity of the preppers. I don't want to claim that many of them wish, that something happens. But if something happens, a kind of malicious joy is only human.

I would never laugh about preppers. In a way prepping is like an insurance. But I would prefer, that noone preps.
Common prepping (every aerea has a storage of canned foods for example) instead of private prepping would be the better and all in all cheaper way IMO. Also because it would lower the prices on the black market.
This would need a political decision and taxes of course.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

It has nothing to do with guns, right, left, politics or a little box. Trying to start a fight by calling someone a problem is what I have issue with. Non preppers are of course welcomed, and if you think it is foolish then by all means, have your say. But don't be rude to anyone else.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Distillernz wrote:Why are you prepping? Step back and see what you are prepping for and why. Q anon
Funny you mention Q anon... I yesterday reported the admins a member who has a link to his website in his profile and mentions it in his location line. Clearly breaking the rule about politics here. Noone of the mods or admins reacted up to now.

Yes, SCD, no need to get rude, that's right.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Distillernz wrote:
Desolus wrote:

Ever wonder if you were the problem rather than the solution?
Now, what exactly are you asking here? This seems to be a terribly vague and inflammatory question ... maybe you should take a step back and figure out how to ask a constructive question? People who ask these kinds of questions are typically relatable to drunk assholes, I'm sure this isn't the image you're going for here.

If you have an air of reasonableness, dispite aggressive questions you might even sway a person to your way of thinking so maybe you can leave this passive aggressive crap at the door? More flies with honey and all that jazz.

If you have some decent and specific questions I'll be more than happy to continue talking with you, if you're going to just be a drunk asshole, ask leading and inflammatory questions, and display a terrible lack of respect for your fellow man, I think this might not be the thread for you.
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Distillernz wrote:Ok so somebody's opinion does not fit in your little box so you don't like it? Land of the free home of the brave freedom of speech? Unless of course, You don't like that speech! Why are you prepping? Step back and see what you are prepping for and why. Q anon
You haven't actually voiced an opinion yet, you've just trolled people and now you're trolling a mod ... got to wonder what your motivations are here.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Alright guys, clean it up. This is why I said something, Desolus. If this thread continues to be personal attacks, I'll lock it. It's already been addressed.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Someone said, 'Ever wonder if you were the problem rather than the solution?'

Well, without saying anything about prepping or whatever, that made me think.

It is ALWAYS a useful question to ask oneself, even if it is a little daunting.

Geoff
The Baker
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

Hah, +1 to you good sir.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Distillernz wrote:Ever wonder if you were the problem rather than the solution?
I never have a problem with solutions...I drink the solutions...I fall down...NO PROBLEM!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

der wo wrote:
Distillernz wrote:Why are you prepping? Step back and see what you are prepping for and why. Q anon
Funny you mention Q anon... I yesterday reported the admins a member who has a link to his website in his profile and mentions it in his location line. Clearly breaking the rule about politics here. Noone of the mods or admins reacted up to now.Yes, SCD, no need to get rude, that's right.
Der Wo, you have no fucking idea if or how we reacted or any behind the scenes discussions. You are in this instance in fact incorrect so maybe keep your assumptions on board administrations to yourself even if you might think only you know best.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Well seeing here first hand how easily small things can escalate and get out of hand maybe I understand the preppers a little more.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

This is what I wrote to thecroweater:

I don't know how you discussed, but I see the result. You dind't do anything.
Like SCD wrote: "Don't be rude"
I calmly reported it by pm, I got no response, now I ask here.

And you deleted it. I don't see any reason for this. And noone tells me the reason.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

der wo wrote:This is what I wrote to thecroweater:

I don't know how you discussed, but I see the result. You dind't do anything.
Like SCD wrote: "Don't be rude"
I calmly reported it by pm, I got no response, now I ask here.

And you deleted it. I don't see any reason for this. And noone tells me the reason.
I work in my time line .Not yours .We look into all reports and handle accordingly .What you see reason for only make a difference to you . And in the nicest way I can say it .When and how we get things done are none of your damn business.As you have been told before we realize we cant please everyone.Maybe you should find a site that fits you better.Now lets get this post back on topic
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Desolus
Novice

Post by Desolus »

I agree wholeheartedly!

I enjoy talking about how I waste my time and hard earned dollars.

To that end, I'm designing a steel and aluminum walking stick, multi tool... incorporating a fire piston, compass, sextant, vaporizer, tiny ass still column, and whatever else i can think of to fit in a metal tube.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

OK back on topic...I found it interesting that the preppers were concerned with offending other preppers, who were possibly of a different sex or race or religion, so when asked why they prepped the term "Zombie Apocalypse" was coined...recently some of the Government agencies, Homeland, FEMA, and so on, have started to use the same term...so Zombies beware I prep !
Do any of you think there's a difference between a prepper and a Survivalist ?
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Do any of you think there's a difference between a prepper and a Survivalist ?
Sure as shit is. I'm not too much of a prepper in much I do. Years back I was bestowed an award for I guess services to humanity and had to give interviews and a speech to a conference that included presidents and representatives, figured if I didn't prep then I'd have nothing to get wrong :lol: . Seriously though if all hell broke loose who the devil wants to hide in some mud hole chewing on can beans till they run out or you are over run. I leant early how to track, shoot fish gather and what around here you can and can't eat. I can string a bow and use it and have had the good fortune to have indigenous Australians show me how to make and use some Stone Age tools like say a woomera (atlatl) and spear and various throwing sticks along with rudimentary nets and traps. Most of these skills are for survival not prepping for siege defence or attack, they are skills I would like my kids to have and not in preparation of expected or intended malice but a buffer for tough times.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

kiwi Bruce wrote: Do any of you think there's a difference between a prepper and a Survivalist ?
I guess I've always been a bit concerned about what might happen in the unlikely event of a major catastrophe . In my 20's I worried like hell .Moving to the country has been the single most comforting thing I have done .
I'm not a prepper as such . I think a prepper has a preconceived idea about how the world might turn to shit and plan a contingency to deal with that . The thing is that no matter what you plan for and prepare for , some other scenario will undoubtedly happen meaning all you efforts and planning may well have been totally useless . I tend to agree with thecroweater here . No point worrying about shit happening but to be able to deal with it in a hunter gatherer way is a far more valuable use of energy. I don't own guns or even know how to use them but when I got sick of foraging off my land I am quite sure I have enough nous to catch a Roo that dines in my paddock.
I am happy with my shed of shit and junk .I'll survive as best I can . There’s a bit if McGivor in me somewhere :think:
Cobbling up stuff out of nothing I really enjoy .

A survivor is able to adapt and deal with what ever happens as best they can .

I have no doubt that many preppers are excellent survivalists but I recon there would be a lot of preppers that are not .

The only thing that worries me is a truck load of arseholes rocking up to rape and pillage. I doubt I would stand a chance even if I thought I was Rambo and could weild a weopon . Think I would use my brain and hide in the bushes til they fucked off . :D

Good folk are always welcome :thumbup:
And speaking of good folk , I am fortunate to live in a community of such good folk . We all know each other and each of us has our skills and weaknesses . United we stand :thumbup: ...after all ...If I want to survive , I want to still have my good friends around me . Stuffed if I want to be the only sucker left standing .

I have no Idea if anything worth prepping for will ever occur and even to what degree or form it may manifest it self . I stopped seriously wasting energy on such things years ago . Iff'n something seriously rocks the boat , I'll do my best to survive with what ever is available
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

I vote Yummyrum for President. Has to be the most honest poster on this forum. If I wore a hat I would tip it to you..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Distillernz wrote:I vote Yummyrum for President. Has to be the most honest poster on this forum. If I wore a hat I would tip it to you..
Probably not going to happen while Australia remains a Constitutional Monarchy, though I do share your sentiment.

(I like the way it is because Queen Elizabeth is the Head of State with regard to protocol and ceremonial but does not interfere with the running of the country, unlike the United States where there is an 'executive President' who is seriously involved in decision making and running the place. That would frighten me a bit, especially if he seemed a little weird.)

And the Australian Governor-General deputises for the Queen here.

Geoff
The Baker
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Desolus wrote: ....my rifle bag, which has a LIGHTWEIGHT home built rifle, 20 Ga over and 7.62x39 under with a box mag holding 3. Total weight loaded and optics installed is 5 pounds 3 ounces.
At first I thought your choice of 7.62 x 39 for caliber to be an odd one. It's not the flattest shooting cartridge around and bullet selection for .311 diameter is really sparse. Then I pulled out an old book or two and started thinking. It can be reloaded with .308 dia bullets; they would just be a little loose.

A state like Colorado that I am familiar with has minimum requirements for big game cartridges. Fish & Game regulations specify that such a cartridge be at least of .24 caliber (6mm) or bigger and must maintain an energy of at least 1,000 ft-lbs of energy @ 100 yards range. The 7.62 x 39 Russian might just barely squeeze by but it is not ideal.

The Russian bullet averages 123 grains while the .223 Remington (NATO 5.56mm) at a typical 53 grains doesn't even weigh half that. The little .223 bullet may fly farther but it does not make the grade for use upon game like mule deer, elk, moose, black bear, pronghorn, big horn sheep, and mountain goats. Anything stronger than one of these two cartridges is probably overkill for survival needs and just excess weight to lug around in your pocket.
--------------------

Shotguns are often more dependable game getting implements for putting meat on the table than are rifles. The 5 pounds 3 ounces you claim is a respectable light weight for your over/under. Too bad you show no pictures.
AR_7.jpg
I once owned an AR-7 “survival gun” like above, but eventually traded it away for something else. The barrel unscrewed and fit into the butt-stock - which floated. A friend had a Garcia Bronco which I preferred. But I've missed out on birds like grouse because a 22 just doesn't stop them unless it hits something vital. I've had guys tell me that 22's are rather poor at bringing turkeys down too.
Omnia mea mecum porto
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I'm with crow and yummy kind of thinking. But like mentioned, different countries and up bringings account for your mind set. I couldn't imagine anything worse than being stuck in a bunker, I'd rather be dead. And the likelihood of a event so large as to prevent above ground living is highly unlikely. I love watching survival shows like bear gryls and Ed Stafford, and love the walking dead lol. I've read heaps of books on bush tucker and survival. I used to practise it alot when I was younger and learnt alot. I'd love to do some testing of my own one day, no food, water, utensiles, just to see if I could do it.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

A note of explanation to the HDers NOT living in the States
Living here one gains a huge respect for the rights and liberties granted to us regarding the ownership and use of firearms...AND THE RESPONSIBILITY THAT THIS REPRESENTS. The guaranties given to Americans by the Constitution are for the protection of the Constitution and the personal Liberty and freedoms that this document lists, but these freedoms were given to ALL men by God, they are not granted by men, not by a King or Government (America was just the first Nation to fully take advantage of this fact). The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bare arms and the responsibility to protect the rest of the freedoms listed in this document and the very ideas of the document itself, from all threats from both inside and outside the USA. It is OUR responsibility to protect our rights NOT THE GOVERNMENTS...this is a guarantee, stopping any attempt by a rogue government that tries to take our rights away. An armed citizenry possess a huge threat to any tyrant trying to overrun the Nation.
We don't run around waving handguns about, but we can freely open carry a pistol, open being - for all to see. If I want to hide or conceal a pistol, I need a permit from my local sheriff (in most States, but not all) I live in PA, our State Constitution underscores the Nation Constitution by stating " The right to keep and bare arms cannot be questioned"
So do I have firearms ? ...Yes I do...A pistol ? Yes I do...Do I carry open and concealed ? Yes I do, everyday...Why ? Not because I'm afraid, but because I'm allowed to, it's a guaranteed right AND IT IS A TREMENDOUS RESPONSIBILITY, and an amazing freedom!
We talk about firearms here on HD and for the most part forget that the rest of you just wont understand...so let me put it this way, we are as free here with firearms as you Kiwis are with your stills. But I must say I personally like my firearms better than my stills.
You may never "get it" but you don't have too...just don't criticize us for our freedoms and we'll all get along just fine.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I don't think anyone is actually criticising as such just a slightly different mindset. I have guns sure most kiwis do I spect. Things are different here now and it has been in my lifetime, as an example : I remember my old man dropped me off at the bottom of town with a shotgun to register. I had to walk a couple of kms right through the centre of town to the police station with it cracked over my shoulder, I never thought twice about it and no one looked at me twice, if you tried that today you would walk down an empty street til a swat team jumped out with automatics blazing because it's just a different world than the one I was raised in. As most know I traveled rural US was plenty of guns , went out on some ranges and had a darn fine time with weaponry the same as I once owned :wink: .
Of course I might not exactly be the average modern day metrosexual urban hipster Aussie but I sure as shit don't have any issue with responsible gun ownership. My only point was if everything went pair shaped you would be wise to conserve ammo where ever possible as most statesiders should be somewhat aware with the 22 fiasco a while back, guns don't make good boomerangs :lol:
Edit : Unless of course it's an Allan & Hopkins Saturday night special in which case it would make a better boomerang :roll:
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

Hey Kiwi, er ah.. your comment '' because I'm allowed to'' Is actually inaccurate, You carry because you have the right to.
always remember, we the people grant the government rights the government does not grant us rights.
nless you are talking about your wife allowing you, lol that is a different discussion for a different day

Any way, I am a so/so prepper and I own guns, the main reason i got into distilling is to have the equipment to distill if shtf.
It is my opinion that booze, tobacco, and antibiotics will be the currency in a prolonged emergency like we saw with Katrina.
prepping is not just having a case or 2 of mre's a couple of guns and 1000 rounds.
prepping is learning who to condition soil, plant and harvest food, learn how to live with out power or a refrigerator
hunt and kill game, smoke or dry the game, tan hides, the list goes on and on
and yes, security is part of surviving, it will be a huge part here in the us if the power grid fails.
Does anyone know what a zombie is? to a prepper, a zombie is not the undead it is the unprepared, the na sayers that mock preppers.
if the power grid goes out, stores will be empty of food with in 24 hours, trucks wil not deliver more food for lack of fuel
the interstate will be clogged with abandoned out of gas cars.
people will run out of food with in a week.
then the rioting and gangs searching to steal food will start in every place their are people.
zombie when the zombie comes to your house to take your food, you will have choices to make, and those choices are your personal business, not mine, you have a family, handle your business.
AFTER, the herd has been culled of the roving zombies, then a new era will begin where barter will be the way of life.
do you have any batteries, I have toilet paper. or toothpaste
if you disagree with my opinion, thats cool, just look at what happened during katrina, and judge for yourself
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

This thread has gone off track
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Rightyo guys we realise this is in off topic but keep the posts to the subject. Lets not have anymore gun rights PRO OR AGAINST as it adds nothing useful or positive to the thread and more often than not gets political for some weird reason. If you want to post specific to guns there is a thread titled rifles but gun rights like any semi political discussion tends to bring out extreme views on both sides and we have a global community here with valid differing viewpoints.