Home made bottle labels

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JLP IV
Bootlegger

Re: Home made bottle labels

Post by JLP IV »

Christmas is coming and I'm excited as hell to gift a few bottles out to friends and family ! So I asked the wife to paint me a picture for the garage and also had a few stickers made up :)
05656469-7F55-4AC7-99A6-FA5D0F939B50.jpeg
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Steel your face? More like Steel your Shine ;)
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Still your face :egeek:
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice one JLP

Your girl does nice work . :thumbup:

Between your efforts , you’ve created some great gifts… you’ll should be proud :D
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

twellshot012.jpg

I only have a B/W printer.
It's taken me longer to figure out how to submit a "PDF" file <here> than it did to design the label to begin with. Still haven't done it right apparently, cause of that persistant little word "Image" above and because the .pdf file insist upon being listed as an attachment at the bottom. <rather than here, somewhere>.
mucilage-glueb.jpg
In other forums, people have asked about the proper glue to use for attaching bottle labels. Frequently the common answer is milk. Plain milk. Industrially however, bottlers have been fond of using casein glue (a glue made from heating milk, adding vinegar and then neutralizing the vinegar with an alkali like soda bicarbonate). A casein glue or a 'hide glue' should both provide an adhesion that can be reversed – a label that can be removed with the help of some hot water. Some of the fancier bottles now come with labels attached with idiotic high-tech adhesives – that won't come off.

One might be able to still purchase a form of hide glue today; but Lepage's mucilage hasn't been manufactured in about 80 years? Anyone can make hide glue though. The procedure involves boiling down animal hides (and or hooves) (rawhide / not leather).

I'd like to make some. But the only rawhides I have around here are from mice. I've trapped 14 of the little bastards in the last two weeks. They're awfully hard to 'skin' though ;-)
Attachments
B_wermut2_14.pdf
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
Omnia mea mecum porto
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here you go:
7A1E8833-5BBB-442F-BF6B-9D53729F8D7B.jpeg

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I just bottled up my Rum and this is the latest creation by the wife.
Attachments
rsz_20221127_110605.jpg
Last edited by Sailman on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Looking good sailman :thumbup:
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

Couple new ones for a whiskey and a peated bourbon.
Attachments
4F4BA495-C75E-447A-8E53-8672D73DAC72.jpeg
EB33AE2A-2964-4628-A6DC-88E324F3B338.jpeg
urbomb
Novice

Post by urbomb »

Dont know where you are rumrunner, but hide glue crystals are readily available at woodworkers supply, and a liquid hide glue is in most good hardware stores
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

urbomb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:42 pm Dont know where you are rumrunner, but hide glue crystals are readily available at woodworkers supply, and a liquid hide glue is in most good hardware stores
I was worried that no one would challenge me.

If yer talking to me (the only rumrunner in the vicinity); Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I'm mostly curious about the making and usage of hide glue from an empirical standpoint though. I've made casein glue, even have some in the freezer. But haven't done hide glue yet. My understanding is that “rabbit skin glue” is probably the most sought after or valuable version. Either for the oil painting artist that needs to spread a “size” (base layer) onto a new canvas or to a cello maker that crafts a new instrument by hand.
"The wood in these delicate instruments is under stress and will expand or contract according to humidity, temperature or external pressure. Hide glue when dry is appropriately flexible and weaker that the wood it is bonded to. If a violin is stressed to the point of breakage then the glue bond should break before the wood does. Ideally the instrument can be easily fixed. This is a handy feature considering that some 300 year old Guarneri del Jesu and Antonio Stradivari instruments can fetch more than $16 million at auction".
These Are The 12 Most Expensive Violins Of All Time

I bought my first “glue stick” the other day. It seems to work fine on labels and is water soluble.
-----------------------------------------------------
@ Still Sirring:

My apologies for being vague. Not in this thread (about bottle labels) as I had thought, but in a different thread named: Labels to print !, Demy posted both a “.docx” document and a “.pdf” document. Two different ways for users to print Avery labels on a home printer. My gripe / my previous comment was that I could not seem to duplicate Demy's results. The word “Image” and the separated attachment tag acted as they did because I erroneously used the Image (BB tags). May be [pdf] & [/pdf] tags will work instead. My only quest was to learn to insert PDFs (not images) into a comment, properly.
Lorem_Ipsum2.pdf
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Brandy.pdf
(2.55 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Nope. [pdf],[/pdf] tags no good. But sonehow I achieved the result you see above!

^ The “.docx” format is a Microsoft Word Open XML file that might be interpret-able only by MS Word. The PDF (Portable Document Format) on the other hand should be usable by machines that run Android OS, Linux, Apple macOS, OpenBSD and Microsoft Windows, equally. But of the many Adobe PostScript variants available, it seems that only the older PDF 1.4 version is free / non-proprietary / open standard.

* The Lorem Ipsum is a very famous, 300+ year old dummy text used by printers and publishers...
Omnia mea mecum porto
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Season souvenirs for colleagues... sorry for bad pix / was too lazy to make a photo session :oops:
Attachments
xmstree.jpg
babayaga.jpg
5of6.jpg

har druckit för mycket
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

contrahead wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 am In other forums, people have asked about the proper glue to use for attaching bottle labels. Frequently the common answer is milk. Plain milk. Industrially however, bottlers have been fond of using casein glue (a glue made from heating milk, adding vinegar and then neutralizing the vinegar with an alkali like soda bicarbonate). A casein glue or a 'hide glue' should both provide an adhesion that can be reversed – a label that can be removed with the help of some hot water. Some of the fancier bottles now come with labels attached with idiotic high-tech adhesives – that won't come off.
Used to have a bottle of mucilage at my grandparent's house. We used it for sealing letters. Ah the memories!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

image.png
He-he... it's quite in my style, I like it :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Lots of great work here. I've got a prototype in the works for my first batch of barrel aged UJSSM that I'll pull off after some spicier new make is ready to replace the drinking stock. To date, I've been on the blue painters tape and sharpie method.

Keep up the good work, both in the distillery and in the design house.

Drifter
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've gotten even lazier since the stuff never lasts in a bottle more than a few weeks. I just write on the bottle with a sharpie. It comes right off with a paper towel dipped in some old foreshots.
I do still use tape on my demijohns.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:03 am I just write on the bottle with a sharpie. It comes right off with a paper towel dipped in some old foreshots.
Like that, eh? :wink:
image.png
Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:03 am I do still use tape on my demijohns.
Just like anyone else here... :eugeek:

har druckit för mycket
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Da masta made up the hooch whilst da missus knitted sort of sweater for a bottle :mrgreen:
"RYE and friends": it's all about the gift pack, of course.
image.png
image.png
This is malted rye (traditional saccharification) blended with a tiny drop couple drams of sorgo baijiu (yellow-labeled).
Both pot-stilled. White but aged about a year.

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 am
Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:03 am I just write on the bottle with a sharpie. It comes right off with a paper towel dipped in some old foreshots.
Like that, eh? :wink:
image.png
Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:03 am I do still use tape on my demijohns.
Just like anyone else here... :eugeek:
:thumbup: Why waste tape?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:14 am :thumbup: Why waste tape?
Not to mention having to clean the glue off later. I'm another one that just writes on the glass with a Sharpie. Although anything destined for longer aging gets something a little better. My BadMos have little paper key ring tags on the spigots. Not sure what I'll do with the corney kegs yet. Probably blue tape, if I can;t think of anything better.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tape on my 5 gallon barrel heads, and tape on the SS of my Badmo.

My bottles get refilled too frequently to dick around with tape.
I'm actually in the middle of etching one of them with armor etch to at least give them some character.
20221230_121252.jpg
Attachments
20221230_115833.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Here's how it looks with spirit in it.
20221230_122045.jpg
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Something I knocked up quickly for my first gin (and first time bottling a spirit!).
A343FB9C-9694-4D0B-80C4-BB59DBB0EFBF.jpeg
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:23 pm Here's how it looks with spirit in it.
20221230_122045.jpg
Looks good Deplorable 👍
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:23 pm Here's how it looks with spirit in it.
20221230_122045.jpg
That has set the bar at new heights, possibly unachievable by us mere mortals!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

So cool, man :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:22 pm
20221230_122045.jpg
Hahahaha. I actually did a full set of four. Each one has a different suit in the compass Heart, Diamond, Club, and Spaid.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:35 pm
20221230_122045.jpg
Hahahaha. I actually did a full set of four. Each one has a different suit in the compass Heart, Diamond, Club, and Spaid.
Need one with a G in it.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

8Ball wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:59 pm
20221230_122045.jpg
Need one with a G in it.
Thats for the vodka bottle. Purity and all. :wink:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

8Ball wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:59 pm
20221230_122045.jpg
Need one with a G in it.
+1 8Ball the “G” would be germane.
Deplorable that spade does kind of resemble an eye. Honestly it looks like the eye of Sauron :wtf: It’s easier for me to suggest this than it is to put in practice but an actual eye would be cool as well my Brother.
The suites are badass though and in keeping with that theme you could get some paisley in there somewhere. I love the old spaghetti Western movies and that western late Victorian age stuff is always pleasing to see. Especially when paired with Whiskey.

Edit: I see you’ve reserved the G for the vodka 8)
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine