MiniMe Pot Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bryan1
Swill Maker

MiniMe Pot Still

Post by Bryan1 »

G'day Guy's,
As I've said before when one starts working in copper it is a disease which is incurable.

So for doing new experiments a small pot still is great for testing out new taste profiles just doing small batches.

mini pot still.jpg
The first run I did after the sac run was some apple cider wash left over after bottling. I had enough to do 3 strip runs then I topped up the low wines with some 40% neutral and put a bit of 90% neutral in the thumper(been told thats a NO NO). I used 3 grams of toasted/charred French Oak and left it for 3 months. Now I've cut that down to 42% and it is one yummy drop and won't last until the weekend.

So for the next run the hot weather is playing havoc with our fruit trees and our young cider apple tree that has a bumper crop is getting hit hard. All the fallen fruit is checked everyday then chopped up and dried in our hotbox. I watered down some 90% to 52% and put a handful of dried apple in along with a dash of powdered cinnamon.

After 4 hours this maceration is starting to smell nice and I'll let it sit for a few days before I run it. With tomorrow being 45C in the shade it should help the maceration and I'll run on the weekend when it's cooler.

Cheers Bryan
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: MiniMe Pot Still

Post by NZChris »

That's very nice work. I like my mini stills, but I've never thought of adding a thumper. Thanks for the inspiration.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

What a sweet little still! :thumbup: :D
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

That’s cute. I like it.

I have a small pot in the works myself, but not quite that small. I’m shooting for a 3 gallon (mini keg) insulated boiler with a 500W controlled element. Never thought of adding a Thumper but like you said, it’s a disease with no cure so who knows.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

nice work there Brian
just to get some scale , what sizes are the tri-clamps on the boiler and thumper
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Yummyrum wrote: just to get some scale , what sizes are the tri-clamps on the boiler and thumper
The boiler is 4" and the thumper is 3"
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

How much volume does the boiler hold? That's an adorable little still!
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

OtisT wrote:That’s cute. I like it.

I have a small pot in the works myself, but not quite that small. I’m shooting for a 3 gallon (mini keg) insulated boiler with a 500W controlled element. Never thought of adding a Thumper but like you said, it’s a disease with no cure so who knows.

Otis
I think your 500 watt element will be too small. My 3 gallon Mighty Mini came with a 2000 watt element that I found was a bit much.I controlled that with a homemade pid controller. I found a 1400 watt water heater element that works very well. (11.6 a. draw on a 15 a. circuit.) I control it with a variable controller for a wood router from Harbor freight. For a spirit run, I turn it on high till about 125° column temp and then to the lowest setting. It will creep up in temp a degree a minute or so. Very easy to control.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Oh shit it's been a while since I built anything copper related (the wire in the new controller dosen't count) time for a new project.

Thanks for the inspiration
OVZ