Rum 101

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum 101

Post by LordL »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:15 pm I’ve not tried Muscovado but you should still get a reasonable Rum flavour .
Blackstrap has less sugar and more “flavour” than Muscovado so it won’t be the same .

Just remember though that Rum doesn’t taste like Rum off the still . It takes years of aging in Oak to develop what we perceive as Rum .
Got that! Will be very interesting to see it develop in the old Bourbon barrel! :)

Hope it will be enough left after a year or two... :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

redz242 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:47 am
Tater wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 pm types of rum ... Types of Rum

See also, Rum101
Good day sir,

Great read and I love some of the information but I’ve been reading and researching to making a Barbancourt or clone close to it. I have found that in research it’s actually agricole rhum from special sugar cane species with mix with the natural yeast maybe even other fungal activity with open fermentation with farms and etc around.
Now I have been inquiring from other Haitians as I heard it’s just cane sugar juice which in the process of conversation some of the sugar juice gets caramelize resulting in a low alcohol wash count.
I left the post you were referring to above but removed the bulk of the post as it was very long. Thus if people want to read it they can scroll up.
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Thank you bushman I miss that part