Peated single malt

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Peated single malt

Post by Canuckwoods »

I have been making this for a while whit what I think is a great success.
First, save your oak sticks from your bourbon and soak in a jar with brandy to be used later.

5 lbs 2-row malt
5 lbs peat-smoked malt (I use Fawcett & Sons Peated Malt)
1 lb flaked oats

I grind to a medium-fine grind, not flour but just big enough to keek the husks.
I add this to my mash tun cooler my grain it usually at around 72* I add 9.9 qt of 132* water for a sep temp of 122* for 30 mins for a protein rest. Then add another 8.8 qt of water at 202* for 30 mins for the saccharification. and finally, mash out with 6.6 qt of 168* water for 10 mins. sparge with 1 3/4 gals of 168* water just to bring to 5 gals in the carboy.

I pitch about a tablespoon of DADY when the temp is around 85*-90*

This will work off well if kept around 80* in about a week, I wait another couple of weeks if let it clear to keep the still from puking. I run the batch through my pot still at full until the very first drop of foreshots then back it down to 50% until the first 125ml of foreshots is gone. then I slowly increase the input to keep the still from puking.
When the tails are just starting I'll collect through a coffee filter changing with each new 250ml jar. I use two funnels with strainers in them, I have found I can get further into the tails this way and get a really good flavour you will be surprised all the gunk that gets trapped.
I let the jars air 24hrs and make my cuts and combine the remaining good stuff. I usually end up with about 40%abv.
Now back to those oak sticks I use the same amount as I would use in bourbon and age at least a couple of months.
I end up with a good bit of moisture with enough smoke but not overpowering.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peated single malt

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice recipe!

Is this a one and done or collecting low wines for a spirit run?

What commercial brands would you compare to as far as amount of peat?

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Your recipe sounds like a mesmerizing glass of 15yo Highland Park I had once. This recipe is a must-do. I also have to try the tails filter.

Does the addition of a protein rest on fully-modified malt make a noticeable difference in the boiler?

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

One and done. I had tried to do strips and spirit but lost too much flavour. I do toss the head and tails into the next run.
Unfornatally I only have limited availability to scotch in my town Grants and Glen Fiddich (which I can't afford) so to say what this compares too is hard for me to say. Much better than Grant's.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 am Your recipe sounds like a mesmerizing glass of 15yo Highland Park I had once. This recipe is a must-do. I also have to try the tails filter.

Does the addition of a protein rest on fully-modified malt make a noticeable difference in the boiler?

Twisted
Hard to tell the first couple of times I tried without and had a huge puking issue since then I've been doing the protein rest but also really controlling the temp so not quite sure which is helping, all I know is I haven't moped the floor in a while.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I'm going to give this one a try but on a small scale. 1# of distillers malt, 1# of peated malt, and a 1/4# of oat flakes. It is fun to try new things but I have had only limited success with all grains. I usually overload my mash tun. Won't happen this time. Thanks for the recipe.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

enjoy.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Canuckwoods wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 amenjoy.
Thanks. It worked. I mashed in a small cooler with a grain bag and it came out clean. 1.060 and iodine test was clean. I added a half teaspoon of acid blend and got the PH to 4.6. Pitched DADY @ 89° Damn it smelled great.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Have you had a chance to run it yet 6 row?
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I did. It was ok but not impressive. I had a lot of foaming. The peated taste was about right for me . Light to medium.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Yeah, I get a lot of foam also you really have to run it slow, any suggestions for improvement?
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:08 am Yeah, I get a lot of foam also you really have to run it slow, any suggestions for improvement?
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Maybe thin it down before it goes in the still.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Slowing your strip down helps I do 2/3 boiler charges and half power on heatup
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Post by Shinerfortyniner »

Just received 10 lbs golden promise and 10 lbs Simpson's smoked malt. Reviewing all single malt threads to plan out the mash.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have good luck with the Simpsons peated malt. I did a 50/50 mix and it turned out quite good, not super peated.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

That is the plan. Just need to detail the process and get down to it.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Use jimbos ag single malt method its uber easy
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

It looks pretty straight forward. I was hoping to ferment off the grain. I haven't done that before, so I'm trying to figure out how much water to reserve for sparging.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

One third
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Thanks Durhommer. I hope to give it a go this weekend.
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

Putting down my first peated this weekend too. I'm using 50% unmalted barley as well to cut costs a bit and make my 25kg of Golden Promise go a bit further. Not a peat head either so will only have 12.5% of the "heavy" peated Simpson's malt.

StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

tubbsy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 pm Putting down my first peated this weekend too. I'm using 50% unmalted barley as well to cut costs a bit and make my 25kg of Golden Promise go a bit further. Not a peat head either so will only have 12.5% of the "heavy" peated Simpson's malt.
Sounds like it will taste great! I like peated scotches but have started toning down the peat a bit. I started making 100% heavy peated which tasted pretty good and surprisingly was not over the top peat flavored (Islay scotches are my favorite though). I've settled in to making batches with 1/3 heavy peated and 2/3 other malted barley. Maris Otter in this combo is very good and seems to give a fuller, more complex taste than just the peated barley. I am drinking this one now after 6 months. Now I am also working with Golden Promise and it looks "promising" haha! First batch on oak only a month or so, second batch a week ago. It will be interesting to compare the flavors.

Anybody have a good source for heavy peated barley? I usually get it from homebrewing.org but at $112 a bag plus $30 shipping even at 1/3 of the grain bill that is crazy!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Check your hb shop man Tom Fawcett's hpm is 180 a pound at my store
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I can't get my usual peated grain but found some lightly peated locally but it's lightly peated I'm hoping to do a batch of 100% and ferment on the grain.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Man I'll tell you what I made a batch with that hpm from Fawcett's #10 of it with #10 rye (both malt obviously) on 10 gallon tap fermented out made(right after malts )#30cracked corn on 15 gallon spring and stripped them separately then polished them together....bruh even just a few months old on bourbon wood with a shot of oloroso its tasting like a double cask finish
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

I did make some single malt last weekend: 5lbs golden promise, 5 lbs peated golden promise. I ended up fermenting on the grain as the underlay in my lauter tun is 2.5 gal. Six gallons water and OG of 1.040. This seems a bit low even with additional water. Mashed in at 144F and covered, insulated, for 3 hours stirring every 30 minutes. No activity after 12 hours, so added more yeast and had bubbles for eight hours. Today, one week later, it is down to 1.004. I roused the yeast in the hopes it will go a bit lower. Smells like fermenting beer with a noticeable smokey note. I need to order more grain.

Thanks for your help Durhommer.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Idk what happened for you but 1040 Is crap
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Agreed. As far as I can tell max ppg should be about 35 which gives me a less than 70% efficiency. I need to hit the books.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I ran a batch of the new peated malt I got yesterday My water was too warm and my mash started at 153 and ended up with an SG of 1.040 but I think I was a little hot you seem to be a little low. Mash should be 148