Me running my CM reflux still by using a PID controller

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Me running my CM reflux still by using a PID controller

Post by LWTCS »

mekks082 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm I am running a CM reflux still and have had issues with surging and smearing. After reading this thread it all kinda clicked for me.
Good to hear that the physics are making sense. That means that the gents were getting the point across.

And btw, there is no debate regarding this matter.
Dunno why a member or two seems to just not get it?
Likely more to do with ones level of mental commitment once a side of the debate is chosen? Dunno?
Some people hate to be on the wrong side of a debate. Even if the collective wisdom checks them at the door.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The problem is that George is still out there expounding his theorys on this and other distilling related subjects.
A quick look at the comments section of his videos says he has a large following of newbies who think that he is 100% correct on all things.
I see a tidal wave of this sort off thing heading this way in the near future..
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I watched some of his video's
On one of them he was telling newbies that a mash couldn't turn to vinegar no matter how long it set.
He was using a wash as proof and kept calling it a mash. :roll:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm The problem is that George is still out there expounding his theorys on this and other distilling related subjects.
A quick look at the comments section of his videos says he has a large following of newbies who think that he is 100% correct on all things.
I assume he'll be called on to the rug soon.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Skip to around the 2:00 minute mark and listen to his explanation of how a dephlegmator works
I don't know about his CM reflux still but mine doesn't work like that.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm I see a tidal wave of this sort off thing heading this way in the near future..
Jayzuz let's hope not. i listened to a bit of that video until he got to explaining how he dialed in 134* to get to stacking the column.

it's like a grade 7 kid explaining his science project to his little brother. no wonder he's got people following along, the dimwits can understand him.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm I see a tidal wave of this sort off thing heading this way in the near future..
Unless you haven't been following, there is already a tidal wave here, as I read at least 5 or 6 who have state they use PID in the last few weeks, plus a few others who haven't stated such but their statement refer to such..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

That video of Shady's posting is certainly interesting..

What he is not stating or telling the viewers, is that he is run the CM as a pot still, or maybe it's a new way of running a CM.. but a newbie would know the difference..

Shady.. you will have to un-learn how to run your CM, and you will need to run your CM as George does..

That explain why so many newbie are comfused by our response to their questions..

I guess what we should be asking next time, is where he's gotten his information from..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

This is why it is important as a community, that we approach those with this mentality with patience and understanding. Most of them are good people, that put in research to the hobby, just unfortunately in the wrong spot. When they get here, responding should have the responsibility of trying to nudge them in the right direction. Unfortunately, some will fight us, and some be combative. But there are always people watching quietly that we could also be helping. Like mekks082. And it's those people we are here for.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I don't think it's been too bad SCD.
Seems everyone has been very instructive.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

803752.jpg

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by cranky »

I actually hope that is true so we have a chance to set things straight.

I saw comments on one video about how "George is a legend" and cringed :shock: I was tempted to start posting on the youtube but don't want to reveal my knowledge there and think it would be a losing battle because his followers are going to fight true knowledge just like many do when they find their way here.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Cranky

After seeing (quickly skipping through) some of his videos I caught myself facepalming.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:01 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm The problem is that George is still out there expounding his theorys on this and other distilling related subjects.
Wishing death on someone and that too from your own country! Nice!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

charcoal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm
Being “called onto the rug “ is not wishing death on someone .

It seems like you are dredging through old topics looking for dirt !
Not Nice ! :thumbdown:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

charcoal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm
"Called to the rug or carpet" means to summon for a scolding or rebuke

Now, I believe George is no longer active and his business closed as well but I don't know the reasons behind it.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

cranky wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:17 pm Now, I believe George is no longer active and his business closed as well but I don't know the reasons behind it.
He's probably hard at work developing a cruise control PID for the automotive industry that has no metric relating to distance or time.
I'm expecting to hear about his new account on TikTok any day now. The attention span of viewers is key.

I apologize, that statement was less vague than I wanted it to be. I hope his health is good, though, I certainly don't wish him any ill.

But, at least Jesse(still it) had the integrity to gently try and dismiss this "PID w/ a control point of temp" BS, even though his income is directly proportional to the dripping ears of newcomers.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I sat through a distillation by one of his converts last weekend. It was a bit messy, to be polite. Plates overloaded, then unloaded, never properly stabilized except for a small period in the middle of the run, too much power at the start and no power control except for on/off based on temperature at the top of the vapor path..

He was happy with the run.

He told me George has passed away.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:23 pm I sat through a distillation by one of his converts last weekend. It was a bit messy, to be polite.
That would have been an interesting experience.....I'm glad we only got the polite version.
NZChris wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:23 pm
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

That's not what I wanted to hear. Damn.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

juana_b wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm That's not what I wanted to hear. Damn.
You've heard it now.
Now, what are you going to do???
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

juana_b wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm That's not what I wanted to hear. Damn.
I wouldn’t worry too much. Maybe try to get ahold of Stillit Jesse.
That rumor has been floating around for a while now. Ever since he stopped his YouTube channel and he actually addressed it in one of his last videos.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I had heard the rumor that he had died but I also heard it wasn't true
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your right Cranky, as far as I'm aware, it's a rumor and that is all.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I must preface this with saying I never ran a still. I do have an open mind and a bit of common sense. I see a lot of 2008 t0 2012 members here really get down on George. I had another hobby in the past and we too had to do a lot of myth busting cause by people writing books with a lot of wife's tales. We read here a lot were you guys say read to your eyes bleed. There are far too many interesting thread titles with 20 pages. They contain maybe 2 -3 important paragraphs. It would be nice for the old timers here, with knowledge of these old post to start a thread of pure proven facts. Better yet put together some videos as George did with your knowledge of running stills for years. Sections of proven still designs in one area rather then all over the place.
But back to running a still using a controller. I never ran a still but I see a real value in the controller I bought. It is a DSPR 400. I bought this because of what it offered for the price. I can use it to control my fermentation. I can use it to operate and run pumps if needed. I can hold my wash at a certain temp timed before ramping up towards a boil, I do have alarms to let me know I am nearing a temp or have surpassed a temperature. It will shut down my still if a certain amount of time passed or temp reached (at my age this was important to me) It allows me to manually adjust power or set it to a predetermined % of power. No it cant do it all but with a stiller's intuition and past history of running it makes for a not too expensive tool. I can see you can't control at all times your boiling temps as I recognize they do change with %'s. But you can control the vapor speed. This is where I feel we need to find the precise mechanism to control this part of distilling.
GO BENGALS,
Toto
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

You are 100% correct. If running a still on electric you definitely want a controller. Since you confess that you have not run a still yet and that you have a controller that can do both temprature and power control use the temprature control for fermentation and use the power control for distillation. DONT ask George!
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 am It would be nice for the old timers here, with knowledge of these old post to start a thread of pure proven facts. Better yet put together some videos as George did with your knowledge of running stills for years. Sections of proven still designs in one area rather then all over the place.
It's a forum. not a university, and nobody gets paid for their time. While the basic science can't be changed. opinions about how it should be used to make the products vary, so that there is often more than one idea being promoted.

You don't need to know everything there is to know about everything distilling related. Facts related to the product or still you are making should be easy enough to find once you have learned how to search the forum and the net.
For things that I'm interested in doing, I keep extensive notes on my cloud and constantly edit them as I learn. PDFs of relevant research are always downloaded. By doing that, everything I need is searchable using whatever device I'm working with at the time, and doesn't require internet access, forums, internet archives, whatever.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 am Better yet put together some videos as George did with your knowledge of running stills for years. Sections of proven still designs in one area rather then all over the place.
The problem with that is this hobby isn't exactly legal where most of us live so most of us try not to draw too much attention to ourselves.