Video of my limoncello

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Video of my limoncello

Post by NormandieStill »

This just made it onto my wish list. Mine will have to be supermarket lemons, as even in the height of glorious summer, Normandy is not known for its citrus fruits!

Watching you handling the lemons reminded me of my early days as a professional carpenter. I came back from my first full day of working with oak and discovered that my hands were stained purple from the tannins. No amount of scrubbing would remove the stain so I had a look online and found the recommendation to rub a little bit of lemon juice into the hands with the skin of lemon (literally hold the lemon and use it to scrub the hands). That day I discovered that working with oak also means that your hands are covered in hundreds of microscopic cuts. I'm man enough to admit that I sobbed like a little girl!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

So last year I made a batch of this which is super tasty and a bottle of it sat in the fridge for quite some time (while getting emptier and emptier!). I have a little of that batch left over but it keeps separating (I get a bright orange oily layer on the top) and the bulk of it has faded from the vibrant yellow. Still damn tasty mind.

So about a week ago I decided to try making an Orancello. Same recipe, but 2 dessert oranges instead of the lemons, and since it wouldn't be as tart, I used 100g of sugar (the low end of Demy's range).

It too is damn tasty, although not quite as refreshing as the Limoncello. Worth a punt for the experience, but don't make up too big a batch.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:19 am So last year I made a batch of this which is super tasty and a bottle of it sat in the fridge for quite some time (while getting emptier and emptier!). I have a little of that batch left over but it keeps separating (I get a bright orange oily layer on the top) and the bulk of it has faded from the vibrant yellow. Still damn tasty mind.

So about a week ago I decided to try making an Orancello. Same recipe, but 2 dessert oranges instead of the lemons, and since it wouldn't be as tart, I used 100g of sugar (the low end of Demy's range).

It too is damn tasty, although not quite as refreshing as the Limoncello. Worth a punt for the experience, but don't make up too big a batch.
That's right... I did the same procedure for various citrus fruits: pink grapefruit, tangerines, etc. A mix of various citrus fruits is also excellent. I also made a version with peach and other fruits..in this case it looks like the flavored vodka that is marketed here in Italy (keglevick for example).