Video of my limoncello

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Video of my limoncello

Post by Demy »

Some time ago I made a small "home" video on how limoncello is prepared. Since we sometimes talk about this liqueur I thought I'd share the link. I don't get any compensation from youtube. The recipe is for a 750ml bottle. I hope someone will like it.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Video of my limoncello

Post by kiwi Bruce »

That is just too cool ! ! ! How we have member who can post videos...Very good indeed !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Great Video .
I’ve never made Limoncello , but that inspired me to have a go .

Curiosity question . Is the cloudiness when the sugar syrup is added to the Alc due to louching of the Lemon oils ? Does limoncello always look like this ? I’ve never seen it in the real before .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 pm Is the cloudiness when the sugar syrup is added to the Alc due to louching of the Lemon oils ? Does limoncello always look like this ?
Yummy it doesnt always look like that , the first lot I ever made went cloudy to.
I read somewhere that its more likely to happen if you add the sugar syrup when its still to warm/hot.
Don't know if that is true, Ive never had it happen since.
lemoncello.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I am very glad you liked it. The turbidity derives precisely from the oils. It may not happen but when lemons have a large amount of oils (freshness index) this happens. In the video I collect, go home and macerate the peel immediately, so you have the maximum possible aroma.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 pm Great Video .
I’ve never made Limoncello , but that inspired me to have a go .

Curiosity question . Is the cloudiness when the sugar syrup is added to the Alc due to louching of the Lemon oils ? Does limoncello always look like this ? I’ve never seen it in the real before .
I just discovered the "quote" button ... new to the forum! I answered below!
A question, since you are a moderator. I happen to make some such videos on youtube for fun. Now I don't want to violate any forum rules in any way, I'm very respectful, but can I post videos on topics that interest the forum like this or is it a problem? I would not want anyone to think that I do this to increase views (at the moment I do not perceive anything from youtube). Thanks for your patience.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Demy , if your You-tube videos are about something that you are confident about and do not break any of the HD rules , then I see no issues linking them here .

Your Limincello Youtube is a good example . :thumbup:

Now , iffn you were someone like George pumping out dribbly You-tubes promoting unsafe and bad practices then no , we will not accept that .
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:56 am Demy , if your You-tube videos are about something that you are confident about and do not break any of the HD rules , then I see no issues linking them here .

Your Limincello Youtube is a good example . :thumbup:

Now , iffn you were someone like George pumping out dribbly You-tubes promoting unsafe and bad practices then no , we will not accept that .
I agree. I know this is a serious forum and it has to be. I will only post videos of this type. I chose the video because it makes the idea better than the words but I could just insert the recipe.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I like your video , I’m a visual kinda guy
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

After several attempts to produce a non-cloudy version (at room temp), I tested several theories mentioned throughout Home distiller and all failed. I found that if the lemon peel shavings were macerated in alcohol close to what the final proof (35-40%) would be, the cloudiness would not be present. Takes a bit more time but the results are great. Evidently macerating the peels in a higher proof will pull oils out that separate as soon as you proof it to a drinkable level. In my case I was using anywhere from 80 to 95% and it would cloud every time.
1) dilute 90% to around 45%
2) add carefully scraped lemon peels, in the case four very clean lemons for a half-gallon.
3) Macerate in the dark for a couple of days, check color, smell and taste. Add more lemon zest if needed and wait.
4) invert sugar with lemon juice and add makeup water for final dilution. Mine was 40% and very tasty. Very clear at room temp.

This was done mostly for aesthetics and really had no bearing on flavor.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

v-child wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:12 am After several attempts to produce a non-cloudy version (at room temp), I tested several theories mentioned throughout Home distiller and all failed. I found that if the lemon peel shavings were macerated in alcohol close to what the final proof (35-40%) would be, the cloudiness would not be present. Takes a bit more time but the results are great. Evidently macerating the peels in a higher proof will pull oils out that separate as soon as you proof it to a drinkable level. In my case I was using anywhere from 80 to 95% and it would cloud every time.
1) dilute 90% to around 45%
2) add carefully scraped lemon peels, in the case four very clean lemons for a half-gallon.
3) Macerate in the dark for a couple of days, check color, smell and taste. Add more lemon zest if needed and wait.
4) invert sugar with lemon juice and add makeup water for final dilution. Mine was 40% and very tasty. Very clear at room temp.

This was done mostly for aesthetics and really had no bearing on flavor.
There are many ways to achieve the same thing, all worthy of respect. What I think is that there is no reason to clarify a liqueur (it is not a distillate) that is already beautiful by its nature. I see no need for invert sugar. It is a traditional liqueur where I live. It exists on the market but is often made with presumably chemical lemon essence with the addition of dye, the flavor is not even remotely comparable. A big hello to everyone!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:03 am I like your video , I’m a visual kinda guy
Thank you very much, my videos are very "free range", bad quality but they give the idea!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

The limoncello I have seen in the shops, and bought, and made, is not clear.

Geoff
The Baker
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

The Baker wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:10 pm The limoncello I have seen in the shops, and bought, and made, is not clear.

Geoff
Of course not, it's yellow. The Limoncello I grew to love while stationed in Italy was.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

v-child wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:52 pm
The Baker wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:10 pm The limoncello I have seen in the shops, and bought, and made, is not clear.

Geoff
Of course not, it's yellow. The Limoncello I grew to love while stationed in Italy was.
In fact, I'm Italian and I know what I'm talking about. But I really appreciate everyone's intervention! Clear or opaque the important thing is that it is of quality if you have the possibility to do so. I have been doing it for many years, and what makes a huge difference is that the lemons must be freshly picked (max 1 day) to have the maximum aroma and must not have chemical treatments otherwise we will find them in the liqueur. If you don't have access to the fresh fruit, you can do the same ... you will get a decent product. A big hello to everyone!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Demy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:07 pm what makes a huge difference is that the lemons must be freshly picked (max 1 day) to have the maximum aroma
There are many varieties of lemon world wide , Lisbon, Eureka and Meyer are just a few that I have tried , all will give different results and flavours.
I have read that using them slightly under ripe gets a better result but as yet have never tried that , do you think there is any truth to that story?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:39 am
Demy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:07 pm what makes a huge difference is that the lemons must be freshly picked (max 1 day) to have the maximum aroma
There are many varieties of lemon world wide , Lisbon, Eureka and Meyer are just a few that I have tried , all will give different results and flavours.
I have read that using them slightly under ripe gets a better result but as yet have never tried that , do you think there is any truth to that story?
Yes, as you can see in the video I made a mix of ripe lemons and some "greens". The effect will be a more "citric" aroma, it is not strictly necessary but if you have the possibility it is worth trying it. I have never used only "green" lemons but I think you would have gotten an incomplete flavor. One important thing is that over time the flavor will change, generally the best flavor is from a not too old liqueur. It must be served very cold to be refreshing.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I didn't mean green ....just a little under fully ripe.
I didnt watch the video fully .....thought the green lemon was a lime you where using, what I get for not watching it all properly. :roll:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 am I didn't mean green ....just a little under fully ripe.
I didnt watch the video fully .....thought the green lemon was a lime you where using, what I get for not watching it all properly. :roll:
I understand, the video was not meant for the forum, it's a bit long! The answer to your question is yes, and very true. The maximum aroma I have tried and when some green traces are still visible on the skin.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Demy , I was wondering why you wash/rinse the strained Lemon rind with water ?
Is it to extract the last bit of flavour ? Is it because you need water for the Sugar Syrup anyway ? Does the water get a bit of citric acid which helps invert sugar ? ... although it appears you don’t actually bring the Syrup to boiling if I see it correctly .

Again , great video . Loved the English captions . :ebiggrin:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:57 am Demy , I was wondering why you wash/rinse the strained Lemon rind with water ?
Is it to extract the last bit of flavour ? Is it because you need water for the Sugar Syrup anyway ? Does the water get a bit of citric acid which helps invert sugar ? ... although it appears you don’t actually bring the Syrup to boiling if I see it correctly .

Again , great video . Loved the English captions . :ebiggrin:
Ciao. I rinse the skins to extract more aroma and residual alcohol, not strictly necessary but since water will be needed ... it will be flavored by the skins. Water is needed to create a syrup (water + sugar) and will dilute the liqueur to the desired alcohol content. If you taste the alcohol macerated with the skins it is very bitter, the syrup balances the bitterness. I have seen recipes with a huge amount of sugar and for my taste it is not good, excess sugar covers the flavor. that of the recipe should be balanced (but it is subjective). There is no need to reverse the sugar. If you need information please ask, I'm available on the forum, even if I'm just a hobbyist. And above all, forgive my language.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Deny, excellent video. I zested 7 lemons thinking that was enough for 7-800ml if finished product. It would appear that’s too much? I was going by the video of “still it” on YouTube and he said like 15 for 1.5L of product.
You used 3 for 700ml, so what is your estimate for 7? 1.5L?

Thanks
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:32 am Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Deny, excellent video. I zested 7 lemons thinking that was enough for 7-800ml if finished product. It would appear that’s too much? I was going by the video of “still it” on YouTube and he said like 15 for 1.5L of product.
You used 3 for 700ml, so what is your estimate for 7? 1.5L?

Thanks
The more lemons you put, the more aroma you will have (up to a certain point). My advice is to insert the skins until you reach the top of the alcohol. The most important thing is not the quantity but the quality, by this I mean that the freshly picked lemons will produce a much better product. Do this: pour your alcohol into a container, start peeling lemons and put them directly into the alcohol, when you reach the height of your alcohol you stop. The amount of lemons in my video is proportional to the alcohol. It is very important to cut only the superficial part of the peel, leaving the white part behind. Limoncello is very easy to make but with video tips add a high level. Let me know the results!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Cool, thanks for that. I did the same thing but backwards, I zested all 7 lemons and then added neutral until they were just covered. Same, same.😁

I’ll let it go for a week and then make it and get back to you.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Thanks Demy! I have a ferment going right now just to use for a batch of limoncello. Glad I found this thread before getting to the point of adding the lemon peel. Very helpful!
Plain ole pot rig.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Well done, Demy.

My cellos are always cloudy and I don't care :econfused:

har druckit för mycket
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 pm Well done, Demy.

My cellos are always cloudy and I don't care :econfused:
In reality the fact that it is opaque is not a defect but a value. I often read this thing but I often don't understand the concept because it is compared to commercial products, often made with a lemon essence + food dye. The opacity is given by the essential oils present in the peel once mixed with water and alcohol, therefore the presence of opacity is synonymous with abundant essential oils that you will find in fruits and certainly not in chemical essences. Over time, even the opacity of homemade limoncello will disappear by itself because the product stabilizes. Chasing the clarity in a homemade limoncello is a meaningless thing for me.
PS Here there is a similar product but made with Tangerine, it is delicious. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 05&t=81937
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hey and thanks :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Have to give credit to Demy and this recipe a bump, this is a FANTASTIC limoncello! And in just 5 days instead of the 20-30-40 that other recipes call for.

I just tried a side-by-side of two batches, one 5 day, one three day maceration. For my taste, and my supermarket lemons, the 5 day brought out a lot more flavor and is definitely my favorite, but both are great and among the smoothest limoncellos I've had.

Sure, it's more of a summer thing. Sure we just got a snowstorm here... But, it's definitely better if it sits a few weeks or a month before consumption (if it lasts that long) so now is a great time to put a couple bottles into inventory.

Thanks Demy!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

TwoSheds wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:50 pm Have to give credit to Demy and this recipe a bump, this is a FANTASTIC limoncello! And in just 5 days instead of the 20-30-40 that other recipes call for.

I just tried a side-by-side of two batches, one 5 day, one three day maceration. For my taste, and my supermarket lemons, the 5 day brought out a lot more flavor and is definitely my favorite, but both are great and among the smoothest limoncellos I've had.

Sure, it's more of a summer thing. Sure we just got a snowstorm here... But, it's definitely better if it sits a few weeks or a month before consumption (if it lasts that long) so now is a great time to put a couple bottles into inventory.

Thanks Demy!
Thanks for the feedback, I was sure .... I don't have a mountain of youtube views like the "famous" but the recipe is ok ....