I developed a new "craft" cocktail based on the french 75 called the Kentucky 75

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

I developed a new "craft" cocktail based on the french 75 called the Kentucky 75

Post by Chauncey »

In a standard 9oz low ball glass

Fill glass with ice
*2oz Corn Whiskey - i use regular old ujssm i believe this is a 4th gen.
*1oz sweet and sour mix
*top up with vanilla cream soda. I use a Clear cream soda thats a new orleans brand called Big Shot but i reckon barqs or a&w would work but the clear one keeps the color right. Ill attempt it with the others and see.
*garnish with lemon wedge or twist

I bring myself a jar.of UJ to work(bartender as you may know) for myself and coworkers to sip. Of course we keep it in the back and dont give it to customers and definitely dont sell it or anything illegal. The idea struck me because i have been planning on developing a cream soda infused corn whiskey by adding cream soda to the thumper on a spirit run, and sometimes i drink french 75s (gin,champagne,lemon sour or lemon juice and simple syrup) so i decided to make one with UJ and cream soda instead of champagne.

Because Kentucky and Appalachia have such an association with corn whiskey moonshine i decided on the name Kentucky 75.

French 75s are also sometimes made with brandy or gin and brandy(french 69) so ima do some variations.

Hope someone gives it a try. Rave reviews from.coworkers and friends.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I developed a new "craft" cocktail based on the french 75 called the Kentucky 75

Post by Chauncey »

Oh and be on the look out for my cream soda infused recipe in the recipes section once i experiment and get ot right. Sounds crazy but the flavors are very complementary.

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I developed a new "craft" cocktail based on the french 75 called the Kentucky 75

Post by Tummydoc »

Aged or white whiskey?
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Sounds interesting.
Havent had a cream soda since I was a kid. And I normally dont drink cocktails.
My idea of a perfectly mixed drink is 3 fingers of likker mixed with 2 ice cubes.
But I would try it.
Let us know how the infusion via the thumper goes. Are you planning on adding the cream soda at beginning of the run or shooting the thumper just prior to the hearts?
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:27 pm Aged or white whiskey?
White

Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

I used to drink cream soda and vodka at times during the hot summer nights.

Interesting combination you got there. I will have to keep it in mind if the opportunity comes up.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

'Sweet and sour mix' ???

Geoff
The Baker
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Lemon juice and sugar syrup. At home I make it fresh, in a bar it can be commercial stuff, which has a longer shelf life.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth so mine ends up more sour than sweet. The syrup gives a thicker texture and takes the sharpness out of the citrus, while still being tart enough to give it that fresh taste.

Unfortunately vanilla cream soda isn't a thing here. I'll have to look up how to make it. Sounds like it could be batched as a syrup, and then add soda water :think:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

The Baker wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:14 pm 'Sweet and sour mix' ???

Geoff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_mix

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I developed a new

Post by Chauncey »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 pm Sounds interesting.
Havent had a cream soda since I was a kid. And I normally dont drink cocktails.
My idea of a perfectly mixed drink is 3 fingers of likker mixed with 2 ice cubes.
But I would try it.
Let us know how the infusion via the thumper goes. Are you planning on adding the cream soda at beginning of the run or shooting the thumper just prior to the hearts?
SF
Ill experiment both ways. On a spirit run i use a 1/6bbl thump with just enough wash to cover the spear so the first time I'll just add it in with that(15.5gal for both on the main boiler and thumper for stripping)

Then ill try adding some in the main

Or in the wash when stripping

Figure out what combo gets just the right amount in.

Added a splash of champagne tonight since its NYE and i had it open.
1609482407423336566099986327257.jpg
pretty damm good.

SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Barg's soda, up in Cincinnati, used to make a vanilla cream soda. It was an awesome treat when I was a kid, especially over ice cream in a float. Their root beer was pretty dang good too.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Barqs is great. Love the rootbeer and the french vanilla cream.soda. red cream soda is too much for me. Barqs started here in nola and moved later to Mississippi.

SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

I remember getting those big tall bottles of Barqs when I was a kid. Plus you could get a dime for the bottles too back then. Collecting bottles and selling them back to the store was a good way for a kid to make a buck or two when I was young. Lol