Proofing with Deep Tails, Backset or Water

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bee
Swill Maker

Proofing with Deep Tails, Backset or Water

Post by Bee »

What would you use each of these on?
For instance, I assume one might use backset for Rum and water for Vodka.
Would you ever use anything other than water? So far, that's all I've used.

I assume this is all about opinion, what yours and why?
Bee
Swill Maker

Re: Proofing with Deep Tails, Backset or Water

Post by Bee »

Oh, and if you are gonna use backset, would you use the backset from the stripping run or the spirit run?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve used water collected from the end of stripping runs to proof down with. I wait until all the alcohol has been stripped and only collect clear, condensed water vapor. Other than that, distilled water and spring water work good. I wouldn’t use backset because that would defeat the purpose of the strip & spirit.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

The stillage from a rum wash is dunder. Someone had posted here that they added a bit of dunder for a dark rum so i tried it. I had to rerun it and won't try again. (Not to be confused with adding dunder to a spirit run for ester formation which i do regularly).

If you run late into tails you'll occasionally get low proof "sweet water" that is flavorful and can be used for proofing. But most commonly I use water.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I did make a dark rum using Buccaneer Bob’s method and it turned out OK. But it took years to clarify properly. And, the flavor contribution was significant, so if you’re going to do it, be gentle. And, you’ll need to forget about it for a couple of years. Probably not acceptable for you “get rich quick” youngsters.

However, using the “sweetwater” is a good way to temper down to cask entry proof if you accidentally overshoot your target. But, for proofing to bottle strength, I prefer RO water (I have a RO water filter on my kitchen tap).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 am
... a good way to temper down to cask entry proof ...
ss
This is what I meant. Proofing down to aging strength.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 am I did make a dark rum using Buccaneer Bob’s method and it turned out OK. But it took years to clarify properly. ... And, you’ll need to forget about it for a couple of years. Probably not acceptable for you “get rich quick” youngsters.
Tough to do when white dog is so good! :D
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I feel the same way about the idea of using dunder.....have you smelt that stuff?.....you really want that in your drink?
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 am
However, using the “sweetwater” is a good way to temper down to cask entry proof if you accidentally overshoot your target. But, for proofing to bottle strength, I prefer RO water (I have a RO water filter on my kitchen tap).
ss
I agree did this by accident one time and turnt out great so I use sweet water mostly or Appalachian spring water.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I very seldom have to add anything, as I pot still and strip until my low wines are low enough that the heart cut from the spirit run is close enough that the amount needed is insignificant, or not worth the bother.

For triple distilled Irish style whisky, I use RO water.

I have made a strong licorice flavored, pH adjusted, concentrated dunder essence that I have used when blending rum, but I've never put dunder into a rum for aging. It sounds like a bad idea and I've never come across any references to it being done in the industry.

I have no idea what the various acids in the dunder would contribute for aging, good or bad, or if the pH should be adjusted before the addition, of if low pH is better than high pH, or how much added dunder would be too much. Buccaneer Bob's thread might be the place to find out.

I often give a portion of a run the 'Hurry Up' to get a preview of what to expect, viewtopic.php?t=55301
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I take my spirit runs way way down. I discard the fores, most of the heads, and the tails, and blend the rest. I get around one litre of sweetwater this way and a final blend ABV of high 50’s or very low 60’s. I was just getting over COVID when I made the last blend and didn’t have much taste. I ended up with more tails in the blend than I’d like. I am waiting to see if the worst of the tails character will age out (8 months now).
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just realised that this thread is a couple of years old.

What did you try Bee? How did it turn out?
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

NZChris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:45 pm I just realised that this thread is a couple of years old.

What did you try Bee? How did it turn out?
I figured out using backset is dumb. :)
I've used distilled water and it's OK, and what I use for white dog, but for aging it really helps to use deep tails. I put some heart cut on oak proofed with water. After a year, it had zero flavor. Offensively lacking. I added some tails to it, waited another 8 mos and it was much better!
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Question so I have a new rig it’s a pot/ column hybrid I’ve made 7 runs so far cut been super easy to collect. But the problem is the cuts seem to be coming through different late tails sweet water coming in early tails no oil and late tails seems to be funky shit with heavy oils With no sweet water. Is this the normal for a hybrid my column 6 ft. Detune 3ft. I run both and with and without packing. With packing I start at 94% achieved the sweet water 75ish without starting at 90 but sweet water 60-50.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

redz242 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 am Question so I have a new rig it’s a pot/ column hybrid I’ve made 7 runs so far cut been super easy to collect. But the problem is the cuts seem to be coming through different … late tails sweet water coming in early tails no oil and late tails seems to be funky shit with heavy oils with no sweet water.

Is this the normal for a hybrid my column 6 ft. Detune 3ft. I run both and with and without packing. With packing I start at 94% achieved the sweet water 75ish without starting at 90 but sweet water 60-50.
For you:
1) what “wash” are you running?
2) are you running “one & done”?
3) what equipment (make and model) and how is it configured? (photos would help)
4) what are you trying to make? (whiskey, rum, gin, vodka, apple pie, panty droppers, etc.)

Answer these, and you’ll get plenty of advice from here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

1 I only done whiskey washes so far 2 on that particular still ujssm and the sweet feed.
2 no they were stripped as the next run I’ll try a one and done to see the difference. Now the last 2 runs I use tails and some active dunder with the low and high wines to see if any difference same only thing a lot of the tails bleed in the hearts which was perfect flavor but when I reach 76% I smell the early tails and but sweet no oil.

3) I’m not able to post a picture because of my situation but https://moonshinedistiller.com/copper-d ... er-2-inch/ mines like this but with a foot long and half sight glass from a sanitation company. 2 kegs 5 and 7.75 thermo probe from my controller box lastly 1.5 lb. Copper mesh when packed I have a 5 ft tower I build I dying to try but I want understand this first. I run it slow take off after foreshots I change the temperature in the room to 58 degrees for passive reflux collect heads running 7-10 drips faster then collect hearts the 2-3% faster until my temper get 208ish at the top then I run the hell out it like stripping until I’m tired.

3)For now like I said I only did whiskey on it. but I have 2 slow rum ferments and experiment I waiting in line. Now before y’all get y’all gloves out they slow on purpose cool fermentation with micro and fungal bacteria.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

NZChris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:15 pm I very seldom have to add anything, as I pot still and strip until my low wines are low enough that the heart cut from the spirit run is close enough that the amount needed is insignificant, or not worth the bother.
:thumbup:

i aim to be at "barrel strength" when the spirit run is finished and blended.
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Done that
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:33 am
redz242 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 am Question so I have a new rig it’s a pot/ column hybrid I’ve made 7 runs so far cut been super easy to collect. But the problem is the cuts seem to be coming through different … late tails sweet water coming in early tails no oil and late tails seems to be funky shit with heavy oils with no sweet water.

Is this the normal for a hybrid my column 6 ft. Detune 3ft. I run both and with and without packing. With packing I start at 94% achieved the sweet water 75ish without starting at 90 but sweet water 60-50.
For you:
1) what “wash” are you running?
2) are you running “one & done”?
3) what equipment (make and model) and how is it configured? (photos would help)
4) what are you trying to make? (whiskey, rum, gin, vodka, apple pie, panty droppers, etc.)

Answer these, and you’ll get plenty of advice from here.
ss
I figured out the problem it was the way I was running and get passive reflux so I did 4 test runs and figured it on the second run because of how the temperature change. Now what I do is run as I do when I get to the early tails I compress it for 8-10 minutes and let go with super light reflux.