Gringo Slide Pure Agave Spirit

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gringo Slide Pure Agave Spirit

Post by 8Ball »

Here is my Gringo Slide Pure Agave Recipe.

Strip & do the spirit in a pot with the low wines, a gallon of reserved wash, and any feints from a previous run.

Use a parrot & collect everything under 80% down to 55%. This will give you an aggregate hearts cut of 60-65% without having to add any water to get to aging strength.

Let it rest for a month minimum and then it is ready to drink as is or you can age it on your choice of wood. 6-9 months on raw white oak and toasted pear & peach works for me.

It also turns out very nice if you infuse it with some smoke using bourbon soaked oak, then knock it down to 50% with good spring water. It picks up a nice light rosey pink tint as well, but stays clear.

🎱 Gringo Slide Pure Agave Spirit

1G 21 Missions premium agave organic raw dark nectar + 0.5G backset + 7.5G water; 9G total wash @ 95F
If you don’t have backset, then you could make a small wash initially, or just save some from the first run.
36 ml terpenes (default recommended dose); optional.
1 tablespoon Fermax
Pinch ascorbic acid & epsom salts
1/3 cup calcium carbonate
Citric acid to adjust to 5.6 pH (about 2 tablespoons)
20 grams SafTec Blue Tequila yeast rehydrated in a quart of 95F water and a tablespoon of the wash.
A big fist sized sack of crushed oyster shells hung in the middle of the fermenter. I use a 10G water cooler.
Targets:
SG 1.041 / 10.70 Brix WRI
5.6 pH
95F pitch temperature
6.4% abv

You will get a foamy cap within two hours of pitching.

Check the ph daily. If it drops under 4.0, then adjust it back up to 4.3-4.5 with calcium hydroxide (pickling lime).

Add a teaspoon of Fermax on the 2nd & 3rd days.

On the 4th day, add 4 grams of bakers yeast started the day before.

This should finish dry under 1.00 in 5 days. Pull the oyster sock and give it a good stir to degass.

Let it settle. Rack off and strip & spirit as outlined above.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gringo Slide Pure Agave Spirit

Post by bluc »

I assume blue agave terpenes?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

bluc wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 pm I assume blue agave terpenes?
Yep. From the 21M product page:

100% Agave Azul Terpenes, "Highly" Concentrated, Pressed from the Heart of the Agave (Azules Pinas), used as a natural flavor adjunct in Craft Beer, Spirits and other specialty applications where agave flavors, aromas are desired.

Usage:
0.001% Agave Spirits Wash. ~20 ml per 5-gallon Wash for Agave Spirits
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Awesome thanks will have to track some down.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

bluc wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:05 pm Awesome thanks will have to track some down.
Here ya go:

Premium Organic Raw Bulk Blue Agave Dark 44:
https://www.21missionsagave.com/rawbublagdaa.html

agave terpenes:
https://www.21missionsagave.com/agave-terpenes.html
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Awesome
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

Thank you 8ball. I'm going to try this.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

SaddleRidge wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:56 am Thank you 8ball. I'm going to try this.
👍 let me know how it works out for you! It is great to sip on some of this aged 2 months with used toasted white oak. Have a few wedges of fresh lemon and some agave worm salt too.
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

We buy a lot of Tequila. I can get agave syrup and safeteq blue wholesale, along with other ingredients. I'm looking to save a little money and have a new hobby in the process.
Former Brewery and Winery Owner -- Rookie Distiller
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

SaddleRidge wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:26 pm We buy a lot of Tequila. I can get agave syrup and safeteq blue wholesale, along with other ingredients. I'm looking to save a little money and have a new hobby in the process.
If you think this is the highway to good, cheap liquor you are sadly mistaken. :lol: If you are looking to have fun, learn a lot and make some good spirits that you could have bought for less you are in the right place. :ebiggrin:
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 am
SaddleRidge wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:56 am Thank you 8ball. I'm going to try this.
I noticed mentioned "aging strength" in the recipe. What are the reasons for that, please? Meaning age -- then dilute to 80 proof
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

SaddleRidge wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:56 pm
I noticed mentioned "aging strength" in the recipe. What are the reasons for that, please? Meaning age -- then dilute to 80 proof
Yes, age it a minimum of one month before diluting to drink. Sone generic guidelines:
0-2 months blanco
3 months - 1 year reposado
1 - 3 years anejo
3 years + extra anejo
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

8Ball wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:18 pm
SaddleRidge wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:56 pm
Yes, age it a minimum of one month before diluting to drink. Sone generic guidelines:
0-2 months blanco
3 months - 1 year reposado
1 - 3 years anejo
3 years + extra anejo
Why do you age at full strength? I don't understand
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

SaddleRidge wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:21 pm Why do you age at full strength? I don't understand
Here ya go …
viewforum.php?f=4
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Great recipe notes 8ball!

I'm getting ready to do two 45g Agave washes with 5g Agave syrup each. I note that you added bakers on day 4 after the original pitch of SafTec. Did it stall or just insurance?

Also wondering whether you have any more comments on the cold smoke infusion after it has sat and aged for a period of time for a more Mezcal integrated smoky flavor.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:32 am Great recipe notes 8ball!

I'm getting ready to do two 45g Agave washes with 5g Agave syrup each. I note that you added bakers on day 4 after the original pitch of SafTec. Did it stall or just insurance?

Also wondering whether you have any more comments on the cold smoke infusion after it has sat and aged for a period of time for a more Mezcal integrated smoky flavor.

Cheers!
-j
Hey Jonny!

Good to hear from you. Sorry that I haven’t made the tag ups - just always have something going on.

Anyway, the bakers was added as insurance and to clean up any fermentables that the SafeTec Blue did not. It was a recommendation from the guy I chatted with at 21 Missions for almost an hour. It didn’t hurt apparently so I’d do it again, for sure. He was adamant on the low wash gravity as well. Go easy on the terpenes too unless you already have experience with them. A little goes a long way.

I just sampled my aging stock of cold smoked and standard anejo’s and I can confidently state that the cold smoked has a richer, more well rounded flavor. It will be a preferred choice.

That being said, the unsmoked version has a lot to offer. Mescal in your face without apologies. Has a bite like a happy hooker on Saturday night. You really can’t go wrong either way. I’m happy with both results and will probably do both the same way again when I start to run low.

After good cuts and careful aging, the mescal created with 21 Missions nectar stands on its own among the commercial brands. Very good and very much your own. Win win.

🎱🇱🇷
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

8Ball wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:49 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:32 am Great recipe notes 8ball!

Cheers!
-j
Hey Jonny!

Good to hear from you. Sorry that I haven’t made the tag ups - just always have something going on.

Anyway, the bakers was added as insurance and to clean up any fermentables that the SafeTec Blue did not. It was a recommendation from the guy I chatted with at 21 Missions for almost an hour. It didn’t hurt apparently so I’d do it again, for sure. He was adamant on the low wash gravity as well. Go easy on the terpenes too unless you already have experience with them. A little goes a long way.

I just sampled my aging stock of cold smoked and standard anejo’s and I can confidently state that the cold smoked has a richer, more well rounded flavor. It will be a preferred choice.

That being said, the unsmoked version has a lot to offer. Mescal in your face without apologies. Has a bite like a happy hooker on Saturday night. You really can’t go wrong either way. I’m happy with both results and will probably do both the same way again when I start to run low.

After good cuts and careful aging, the mescal created with 21 Missions nectar stands on its own among the commercial brands. Very good and very much your own. Win win.

🎱🇱🇷
Thanks 8ball copy that! I had done a 21 missions agave a while back and loved it white so I'm very interested in the cold smoke approach and will experiment with that for sure. The bottle of terpenes is enough for many batches and I have the SafTec yeast as well :) The 21 Missions crew are chatty and helpful!

Cheers,
j
————
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 pm Thanks 8ball copy that! I had done a 21 missions agave a while back and loved it white so I'm very interested in the cold smoke approach and will experiment with that for sure.
Cheers,
j
After you add the cold smoke, shake the jar once in awhile to redistribute the smoke sediment that develops. Then let it settle to the bottom and carefully decant to prevent a little cloudiness that may develop. Drink the dredges as a toast to yourself!
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

8Ball wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:32 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 pm Thanks 8ball copy that! I had done a 21 missions agave a while back and loved it white so I'm very interested in the cold smoke approach and will experiment with that for sure.
Cheers,
j
After you add the cold smoke, shake the jar once in awhile to redistribute the smoke sediment that develops. Then let it settle to the bottom and carefully decant to prevent a little cloudiness that may develop. Drink the dredges as a toast to yourself!
Can you guys give me more detail on this "cold smoke" of which you speak? I'm curious

Eric
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Using one of these ir similar you can generate cold smoke.
https://a.co/d/9ZOEJgL
There are numerous diy options too. I have an aquarium air pump so may use that and a tin can with some cooper tubing.

I might experiment with cold smoking some low wines before the spirit run. Smaller batch first to size up the quantities / etc. I’d use a cooper tube end on it to run the smoke through the liquid.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 am Using one of these ir similar you can generate cold smoke.
There are numerous diy options too. I have an aquarium air pump so may use that and a tin can with some cooper tubing.

I might experiment with cold smoking some low wines before the spirit run. Smaller batch first to size up the quantities / etc. I’d use a cooper tube end on it to run the smoke through the liquid.

Cheers!
-j
I put 1 liter of aging stock into a 2 liter jar and then pumped about a bowl full of chips in. Put the lid on and let the smoke settle into the spirit as it ages.

This is what I used : Camerons Smoking Chips- Kiln Dried, 100 Percent Natural Extra Fine Wood Smoker Sawdust Shavings (Bourbon, 1 Pint) https://a.co/d/1Xvc2N8
SaddleRidge
Novice

Post by SaddleRidge »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 am Using one of these ir similar you can generate cold smoke.

Cheers!
-j
I put 1 liter of aging stock into a 2 liter jar and then pumped about a bowl full of chips in. Put the lid on and let the smoke settle into the spirit as it ages.

This is what I used : Camerons Smoking Chips- Kiln Dried, 100 Percent Natural Extra Fine Wood Smoker Sawdust Shavings (Bourbon, 1 Pint) https://a.co/d/1Xvc2N8
So do you burn them and then add them to the spirit? Sorry I'm being dense...
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

SaddleRidge wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:39 am So do you burn them and then add them to the spirit? Sorry I'm being dense...
You generate cold smoke from various wood chips or pellets. Here's a DIY cold smoke generator that I found and there's a ton of small commercial units on amazon for cocktail smoker.
https://www.instructables.com/Smoke-Gen ... ur-Smoker/

You make cold smoke and aerate it through the likker to infuse the smoky flavour. I'm thinking of hitting some low wines or a smaller amount of wide hearts cut then re-distilling for a fairly heavily smoked Mezcal type of spirit like 8ball has done. I think I'll fashion a copper tube as the end to stick into the jar of likker or proofing water - down to approximately 25-30%abv then re-distill in the small still like a gin. I'll experiment too with perhaps terpenes at that stage and blend with white agave if needed (or not) to get to the smoke level desired.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 pm I have the SafTec yeast as well :)
Do you guys buy the 500g brick of SafTeq or do you know of a good source for smaller packs?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

tjsc5f wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 pm I have the SafTec yeast as well :)
Do you guys buy the 500g brick of SafTeq or do you know of a good source for smaller packs?
Here ya go: https://moonshinedistiller.com/tequila- ... -blue-25g/
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

8Ball wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:36 pm Here ya go: https://moonshinedistiller.com/tequila- ... -blue-25g/
Awesome, thanks. I got a couple packs of those on order as well as 41lbs of the agave nectar and terpenes you linked from 21 missions.
Do you still recommend the 1gal nectar & 36ml terpenes per 9gal batch?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

tjsc5f wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:04 pm
8Ball wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:36 pm Here ya go: https://moonshinedistiller.com/tequila- ... -blue-25g/
Awesome, thanks. I got a couple packs of those on order as well as 41lbs of the agave nectar and terpenes you linked from 21 missions.
Do you still recommend the 1gal nectar & 36ml terpenes per 9gal batch?
Glad that the info worked for you. I listed the terpenes as optional in my recipe. I used them. Either you like the flavor they impart or you don’t. It’s your call. A little terpenes goes a long way. The terpene essence comes over early in the run, so select cuts can mitigate some of that flavor if it doesn't agree with you.