Alcoengine vs potstill

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sarge410884
Novice

Alcoengine vs potstill

Post by Sarge410884 »

I have an Alco engine still and I've have some pure corn that I have fermented without sugar and want to distill it. My quandary is this, should I use the pot still or should I use the ALCO engine still with the large nozzle to try and get the same results primarily the flavor issue. This corn came out at 17% using yellow label, unbelievable I know but that's where it's at any suggestions will be helpful I'm trying to make some really good corn whiskey for a friend of mine.
Sarge
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Alcoengine vs potstill

Post by Saltbush Bill »

How are you measuring this percentage?
Your getting figures that no one on any other forum on earth is getting.
An alcoengine still is a reflux still as far as I am aware and the wrong still for making whisky.
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

Measured with a proof and trail hydrometer
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

Measured with a proof and trail hydrometer
I know this even smell strong of alcohol
Sarge
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Sarge410884 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:19 pm Measured with a proof and trail hydrometer
Proof and Tralle…
That ain’t the right hydrometer at all friend.
Last edited by Stonecutter on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Reading your introduction post it seems you may be a little confused on certain descriptors. Please, for the sake of the sanity of the community, read up on proper definitions and descriptions of the hobby. It will help
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

Look I understand your comments the first let me tell you that I'm a disabled veteran and that I'm 73 years old okay. Now I have been trying to learn a new hobby believe me it's 73 years old is not easy try it sometime. I did wash well yellow label Angel yeast so so there's no specific gravity other than one in the beginning. Now I just got through fermenting that and am trying to figure out how you determine how much alcohol is in the wash. I thought was because I didn't have the specific gravity to begin with I would see what the proof and Trail said so that's what I have done if you want to trash me then go right ahead all I am here for is to learn and as far as a teacher goes or some of you that don't make the grade, thanks for any help you might have
Sarge
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If your alcoengine has the different sized nozzles then it is the reflux still, they also sell a pot still head, that is what you will need for making whisky.
A power controller would also be of benefit for whisky making.
The boiler your still head sits on is exactly the same as the ones that T500s use, spare lids for those are readily available and are fairly cheap.
You could buy one of those and easily build your self a pot still head for your existing boiler.
Something like this maybe.......you don't need to make it that shape though.
20211014_155632.jpg
You can buy a good power controller from Still Dragon for about 40 bucks.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Sarge410884 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm Look I understand your comments the first let me tell you that I'm a disabled veteran and that I'm 73 years old okay. Now I have been trying to learn a new hobby believe me it's 73 years old is not easy try it sometime. I did wash well yellow label Angel yeast so so there's no specific gravity other than one in the beginning. Now I just got through fermenting that and am trying to figure out how you determine how much alcohol is in the wash. I thought was because I didn't have the specific gravity to begin with I would see what the proof and Trail said so that's what I have done if you want to trash me then go right ahead all I am here for is to learn and as far as a teacher goes or some of you that don't make the grade, thanks for any help you might have
Sarge
No ones trying to trash you. I stand by my comment that a proof and tralle hydrometer is not the right tool for measuring a ferment. Taste the ferment and if it’s sour it’s usually ok to run. Being a 73 year old retired and disabled vet is respectable.. Either way, proper descriptions are needed to troubleshoot anything in life. Now that you’ve elaborated on your query help will be easier to give. I honestly have no idea what an alcoengine is. From what I’ve read, I would suggest you either strip fast and hard with the pot and then do a slow spirit run or use a mild reflux to do a one and done run if that’s what you’re into.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Our ferments are best measured with the type of hydrometer that beer brewers use.

Brewer's Elite Hydrometer - for Home Brew Beer, Wine, Mead and Kombucha - Deluxe Triple Scale Set, Hardcase and Cloth - Specific Gravity ABV Tester

Beer forums will be the most help with your fermentation’s. Or stick with tried and true recipes.
Whenever you make a “wash” or “mash” or any type of wine, be sure to get an “original gravity” reading. That way you have something to compare later readings with
-Thomas Paine
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

The ferment was yellow label,no sugar, flavor had no sweetness and iodine test showed no starch, from all the pointers it's ready to run when clear. I am very excited about this one.
Sarge
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

You can't measure the abv of a yellow label wash because conversion of the starch is happening in parallel with alcohol production. The OG will tell you nothing because the sugars have not yet been converted. And sticking an alcometer (proof and traille) into a wash full of bits will not give you a reliable reading. Alcometers are calibrated for a pure water / ethanol mix. If it's settled and isn't bubbling (put your ear to the bucket), then it's good to go.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just for those curious .

Alcoengine Pot still .
C1B3D10D-0C74-438F-BB8B-5FC77637C717.jpeg
C1B3D10D-0C74-438F-BB8B-5FC77637C717.jpeg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Alcoengine reflux still
E704B937-32E9-46BB-B097-AE03EDAD7F52.jpeg
E704B937-32E9-46BB-B097-AE03EDAD7F52.jpeg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Sarge , From your OP sounds like you have one of each ???

Definitely use the Pot still head .

The lads have given you a lot of good advice regarding being able to accurately measure and calculate avb , but at the end if the day , just run it .

We have a saying around here …. “You get what you get “

Often , its easier to work out what you probably had in your wash from what you end up with when you strip it .

But does it really matter ?

Anyway , use the Pot head and enjoy the flavours .
Save the reflux still for making nuetral sugar washes . :thumbup:

Regarding your Vet status , salute to you Sir
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Sarge410884 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:01 pm This corn came out at 17% using yellow label, unbelievable I know but that's where it's at any suggestions will be helpful
Sarge
It's not unusual to get a conversion of 16-17% using Angel yeast yellow label and sweet rice, so It's likely that you could achieve the same with corn. Nuruk (Korean version) will convert sweet rice at the same percentage when making Makeoli. Makeoli is usually diluted before consumption.
chown
Novice

Post by chown »

You can "kinda" run an alcoengine reflux as a pot still by removing the packing and running it hotter than usual with the larger opening. The problem is your product will come out pretty warm. I'd put the collection jar on ice or somehow cool the output tube. Ideally you'd want a pot still.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Sarge410884 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:33 pm The ferment was yellow label,no sugar, flavor had no sweetness and iodine test showed no starch, from all the pointers it's ready to run when clear. I am very excited about this one.
Sarge
Sarge, I have both the pot & reflux heads paired with an 8 gal Digiboil that has a 500w + 1000w element. If you're after a neutral, use the pot to strip & the reflux on spirit run. If you're after whiskey, strip & spirit both runs with pot head.

As mentioned above, get a voltage/SCR controller. They're not that expensive & if you have an electrician buddy, they can build you one even cheaper. Before I got the controller, 500w ran to slow. 1000w ran too fast & smeared. For my rig, the 1000w @ ~80volts runs a perfect pencil lead continuous stream. I still got 90+% ABV on the larger orifice nozzle.

Proof & Trails is for measuring ABV on distillate. A regular hydrometer is for measuring ABV on your ferment (or beer, if you're a homebrewer).

Keep reading, have fun! Welcome to the rabbit hole...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:14 pm Proof & Trails is for measuring ABV on distillate. A regular hydrometer is for measuring ABV on your ferment (or beer, if you're a homebrewer).
I’ll add some info to this too:

In general, a hydrometer measures the density of a liquid relative to a “benchmark”, typically water (at a calibrated temperature, since water’s density varies slightly with temperature).

A brewing hydrometer measures density of a liquid mixture (water + sugar) where the density is greater/heavier than benchmark (water). The “specific gravity” readings go from 0.990 (less than water’s 1.000) up to approximately 1.120 (which would represent 15.7%ABV potential). But note, the hydrometer does not actually measure alcohol content, only the ratio of liquid density to the calibrated standard.

Formula for “potential alcohol”: (OG - FG) x 131.25 = %ABV

Similarly, the Proof & Traille alcohol hydrometer measure the density of an alcohol in water solution. Because alcohol’s density is less than water, the solution will be less than water (SG < 1.000, always). So, the %ABV can be measured proportional to the density. But anything other than water and alcohol (sugar, for example) will skew the reading. Therefore, the P&T hydrometer will only work in a distillate and will not work for a spirit that has been backsweetened.

Remember to use the correct hydrometer when measuring your wash or distillate. And you need both tools in our hobby.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks Yummy I was just about to google it. We have so many producers of still and still equipment it’s hard to keep up.
Remember to use the correct hydrometer when measuring your wash or distillate. And you need both tools in our hobby.
I also have a Refractometer to use for my fruit washes.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

everything's going to pot