Heating element turned black

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Osi
Novice

Heating element turned black

Post by Osi »

Got my still together, grabbed a 2000w 120v electrical heating element. Ran my vinegar run through it. 50/50 water to vinegar solution. Pulled everything down to rinse it all good before the sacrificial run. Pulled the element out and it was black. Looked like soot on my hand after touching it. Washed it but now the element is bronze colored not silver. No idea what happened. Should I trash the element and get another?
"I didn't fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." -Benjamin Franklin
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Heating element turned black

Post by NZChris »

Do the sacrificial run, then report back.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Osi wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 pm Got my still together, grabbed a 2000w 120v electrical heating element. Ran my vinegar run through it. 50/50 water to vinegar solution. Pulled everything down to rinse it all good before the sacrificial run. Pulled the element out and it was black. Looked like soot on my hand after touching it. Washed it but now the element is bronze colored not silver. No idea what happened. Should I trash the element and get another?
I had one do that. It was steel and unplated. I bought a copper one and no issues. They also make nickle plated which seem ok.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My elements have all been plated copper. By the time I've done three strips the plating is gone and I'm left with copper elements.
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to run the sacrificial run later today and let you know how it turns out.
"I didn't fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." -Benjamin Franklin
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

My elements had a black plating on them (Camco Limelife) that has long since gone, leaving the copper base material exposed. No issues.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

This is why I switched to stainless steel elements.
I didn’t like the plating coming off or the steel bung rusting in my mash.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I always used ss elements. They do build up during runs, rum especially and need to be cleaned. For a quick clean I would scrub with a scrubbie and for a deep clean, fill the still with a double strength b brite and heat to 180 ish. While still is clean as new after that.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Copper has a flavor advantage over stainless, so I’ve always been happy to have copper elements.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

in the past when bought plated elements I always did a couple water runs to get the coating burnt off.
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

Things came up and had to push the sacrificial run tell today. Things went pretty good. Element after a scrub down is all copper now. Going to have to ditch my heat controller though. Bad advice prior to coming here and it surges. So there's some cash down the drain. I'm no electrician so I'm still looking for some plans for something a lot easier.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Osi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:35 pm Things came up and had to push the sacrificial run tell today. Things went pretty good. Element after a scrub down is all copper now. Going to have to ditch my heat controller though. Bad advice prior to coming here and it surges. So there's some cash down the drain. I'm no electrician so I'm still looking for some plans for something a lot easier.
Look up super simple controller. Solid design. Parts are available off eBay or from stilldragon.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Osi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:35 pm Going to have to ditch my heat controller though. Bad advice prior to coming here and it surges. So there's some cash down the drain. I'm no electrician so I'm still looking for some plans for something a lot easier.
Any chance of a pic of your controller ?
From your saying it pulses , I’m going to guess its a PID controller .
Chances are , you could easily switch out the PID module for an Auberins DSPR1 and the rest of the unit would work just fine .

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=444
0CB3B0C2-61DD-4936-8DA1-5555E430D13A.jpeg
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

101D82CE-BC93-497B-8BD4-62CC936C308F.jpeg
Home depot 5k5W element. Looks black or dark but works fine?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

141F037F-A10A-49AC-887C-AE4AF82FDDB9.jpeg
Yep it’s a pid. That looks like it would be easy to swap out. With any luck the mounting cut out will work. I’ll check on that. Also included the element all cleaned up now after the sacrificial run. Thanks to everyone for the reply’s and info
Ps.. I colored the bottom plug with a marker so I don’t confuse it with the plug for the pump, it’s not burnt lol
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Osi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:49 am 141F037F-A10A-49AC-887C-AE4AF82FDDB9.jpeg
Yep it’s a pid. That looks like it would be easy to swap out. With any luck the mounting cut out will work. I’ll check on that. Also included the element all cleaned up now after the sacrificial run. Thanks to everyone for the reply’s and info
Ps.. I colored the bottom plug with a marker so I don’t confuse it with the plug for the pump, it’s not burnt lol
Check the manual of your inkbird, a lot of them have a way to run in manual mode as well, instead of PID mode.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

Just wanted to thank all the people that helped earlier and leave an update. I have replaced the pid with the Auber DSPR1. Came in yesterday, Fit the same cutout and the wires just transferred from one to the other. Terminated the Thermoprobe wires. I’ve got her wired up and ready for a spirit run tomorrow. Thanks again
34189D0B-6A84-467B-8695-82B8416AE4D1.jpeg
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Osi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:35 pm Just wanted to thank all the people that helped earlier and leave an update. I have replaced the pid with the Auber DSPR1. Came in yesterday, Fit the same cutout and the wires just transferred from one to the other. Terminated the Thermoprobe wires. I’ve got her wired up and ready for a spirit run tomorrow. Thanks again
34189D0B-6A84-467B-8695-82B8416AE4D1.jpeg
Do you have a thread showing how you built this? Or a wiring diagram?
I have to build a controller for my new still and this seems like a clean design.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Osi wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 pm Got my still together, grabbed a 2000w 120v electrical heating element. Ran my vinegar run through it. 50/50 water to vinegar solution. Pulled everything down to rinse it all good before the sacrificial run. Pulled the element out and it was black. Looked like soot on my hand after touching it. Washed it but now the element is bronze colored not silver. No idea what happened. Should I trash the element and get another?
I never did like the zinc plated heaters. Guess their Ok after the plating is gone and the copper is clean.
Me, I spend a little bit more money and get heaters made from SS or inconel.