Help With Design

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help With Design

Post by Hebden »

shadylane wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:28 pm Definitely need to do a sac run.
Thanks shady, and vinegar?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

After repairing the shotgun and leak checking it.
I'd soak it in vinegar or backset for several hours.
Then leak check it again before doing a sac run.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

bunny wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm I've gone the opposite way. I determined how much shell grit was consumed per batch and went to powdered CaCO3. I use about 3-4 rounded tablespoonful per 12 gallon batch for my water. No screwing around with hanging bags and cleans up very easily with the bottom sludge. Got mine on eBay from some guy in Idaho, 20lbs $20 something shipped. Should last a few years.
bunny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:42 pm Into my 15g fermenter I dumped 16lbs of plane beet sugar, 3T CaCO3 powder, 1T DAP, 1/8t epsom salt, 1 B-complex and 1 B12 vitamin, enough heated distilled water to reach the 12g mark. After thorough mixing, dumped in 1C baker's yeast on top @91*f pitch temp. Let that sit there 20 minutes and then stirred it in. Put lid on and set blowoff tube. It's going quite good after 15 more minutes and gangbusters after an hour.

This is a test batch to see if 3T CaCO3 is enough to balance the pH against 16lbs of sugar.
Hey Bunny, how did these tests go, did you get that CaCO3 balance figured out?

After my recent shotgun leak, I have decided I will use the 25L low wines as another sacrificial run and just cook up another fresh batch. I am going to try powdered CaCO3, I am thinking 14 level tablespoons for my 150L with 25kg Sugar of Shadyshine as a starting point, but did it work?
Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:41 pm I just looked at a chart which says if your vapor temp is 98C/208.4F then the exiting product should be just over 20% ABV. In my experience, when my total collected product reaches 40% ABV, the exiting product is coming out at approx 10% ABV. That chart appears to correlate accurately. I just did a stripping run yesterday and I do recall that my vapor temp at that moment was 98.3C/209F as my total collected product was 40% AVB if I recall correctly. I'll be doing another stripping run either tonight or tomorrow so I'll confirm.

If that chart is truly accurate then you could have stripped for a good bit longer. You may unfortunately find that your total collected product is 50% or higher ABV.
Well Salt, seems your intuition was correct, I was saddened to only have 25L of 32% low wines for my spirit run. It seems that my shotgun leaks must have started during the sacrificial run and they scewed my numbers, making me stop early and throw product down the drain.

I am going to start a fresh wash and hope for a full charge next time. Use this as both a learning curve and cleaning run for extra shotgun soldering.
It must have been poor soldering originally and then heat expansion and contraction stressed the joints. This time round I have much more solder on the joints but I am still cautions.

Screenshot_20221205_153915_Gallery.jpg
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Hebden wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 am
bunny wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm I've gone the opposite way. I determined how much shell grit was consumed per batch and went to powdered CaCO3. I use about 3-4 rounded tablespoonful per 12 gallon batch for my water. No screwing around with hanging bags and cleans up very easily with the bottom sludge. Got mine on eBay from some guy in Idaho, 20lbs $20 something shipped. Should last a few years.
bunny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:42 pm Into my 15g fermenter I dumped 16lbs of plane beet sugar, 3T CaCO3 powder, 1T DAP, 1/8t epsom salt, 1 B-complex and 1 B12 vitamin, enough heated distilled water to reach the 12g mark. After thorough mixing, dumped in 1C baker's yeast on top @91*f pitch temp. Let that sit there 20 minutes and then stirred it in. Put lid on and set blowoff tube. It's going quite good after 15 more minutes and gangbusters after an hour.

This is a test batch to see if 3T CaCO3 is enough to balance the pH against 16lbs of sugar.
Hey Bunny, how did these tests go, did you get that CaCO3 balance figured out?

After my recent shotgun leak, I have decided I will use the 25L low wines as another sacrificial run and just cook up another fresh batch. I am going to try powdered CaCO3, I am thinking 14 level tablespoons for my 150L with 25kg Sugar of Shadyshine as a starting point, but did it work?
Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:41 pm I just looked at a chart which says if your vapor temp is 98C/208.4F then the exiting product should be just over 20% ABV. In my experience, when my total collected product reaches 40% ABV, the exiting product is coming out at approx 10% ABV. That chart appears to correlate accurately. I just did a stripping run yesterday and I do recall that my vapor temp at that moment was 98.3C/209F as my total collected product was 40% AVB if I recall correctly. I'll be doing another stripping run either tonight or tomorrow so I'll confirm.

If that chart is truly accurate then you could have stripped for a good bit longer. You may unfortunately find that your total collected product is 50% or higher ABV.
Well Salt, seems your intuition was correct, I was saddened to only have 25L of 32% low wines for my spirit run. It seems that my shotgun leaks must have started during the sacrificial run and they scewed my numbers, making me stop early and throw product down the drain.

I am going to start a fresh wash and hope for a full charge next time. Use this as both a learning curve and cleaning run for extra shotgun soldering.
It must have been poor soldering originally and then heat expansion and contraction stressed the joints. This time round I have much more solder on the joints but I am still cautions.

Screenshot_20221205_153915_Gallery.jpg
Did you have to adjust your shell grit?
Did you determine how much was eaten?

I think my "crash test" turned out fine.
I went back and weighed out my typical rounded Tbs of CaCO3.
75-85g of CaCO3 powder mixed with 16lb sugar into distilled water brought the pH to 4.1 overnight.
The same amount of CaCO3 in my tap water with 16lb comes down to 4.4-4.7.
If you have fairly soft water, 250g of CaCO3 with your 25kgs sugar should keep you in the 4's.
If your water is harder, maybe a little less is needed?
Don't forget: I run hot 92-98*f and fast: 48hrs
I also did not test cooler or slower runs, so your on your own there.

I also have an affinity for less complicated things, like, Liebigs, where the water is not going anywhere near the vapor.
And simple coils, for the same reason as the Liebigs.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Edited: Got to 3.5L and still smelled terrible, poured back in and restarted slower.

Well I am up n running 25L charge @ 32%ABV = 8L alcohol

Obviously I don't know what I am doing but I would like to know if anyone is about, how many litres of acetone should I expect, currently I have collected 2.75L that smells like acetone @ 96-97%ABV.

Testing by catching a few drops, rubbing in hands and smelling.

I worry I might be taking off a bit quick and so getting smearing, or am I just being impatient in waiting for hearts?

Running 3600w @1600ml p/h through a SPP packed 3" column (75mm copper mesh +1250 SPP + 75mm mesh)
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:04 am Edited: Got to 3.5L and still smelled terrible, poured back in and restarted slower.

Obviously I don't know what I am doing but I would like to know if anyone is about, how many litres of acetone should I expect, currently I have collected 2.75L that smells like acetone @ 96-97%ABV.

I worry I might be taking off a bit quick and so getting smearing, or am I just being impatient in waiting for hearts?

Running 3600w @1600ml p/h through a SPP packed 3" column (75mm copper mesh +1250 SPP + 75mm mesh)
If 3600w @ 1600mls/hr is your current idea of "taking off" fores and heads, you are going a little fast.
Cut back to about 2600w @ 580mls/hour and you will be at SMF's rate. I'm a little slower, but you knew that. :D

Just another day of driver's ed. :)
bunny wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:34 pm
Hebden wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:24 pm The hard work is done.
Well, :lolno: for today maybe.
Tomorrow is another day.
You have just become a student driver and entered culinary school on the same day.
You have yet to take a sip of anything that resembles a quality product.
It will come to you in fits and spurts with experience, trial and error.
There will be "bad stuff" before there's any "good stuff". :D :clap:
But there will be "good stuff".

Remember: When all else fails, go slower. :wink:
Repeat my last line out loud 100 times :D
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:04 am Edited: Got to 3.5L and still smelled terrible, poured back in and restarted slower.

My 28l charge of 40% produces only 1.5l of fores and heads and is well into hearts. (I make NO CUTS on my strips)
As far as acetone goes, you may get some, but there are a multitude of other nasty things you also want to get rid of.

While you're doing this keep telling yourself that you are not "Jay Leno" :D

I worry I might be taking off a bit quick and so getting smearing, or am I just being impatient in waiting for hearts?YES

squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:02 am
Remember: When all else fails, go slower. :wink:
bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:02 am Repeat my last line out loud 100 times :D
like 2 day ferments lol
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Collecting Foreshots and Heads takes a good bit of time. It's the slowest part of a run. You want as much compression & separation of the lightest, most volatile vapors which is why you want a high reflux ratio and take off slow at first. If you crank up the power too high, it can destabilize the column and smear throughout the run. Unfortunately you don't have a sight glass beneath your VM head to show you the amount of reflux that is falling back onto your packing. It would probably surprise you how much reflux you are producing. Compare that to your takeoff rate. You don't need a sight glass, but it's nice to see the reflux and see if/when the top of the column is flooding.

Keep in mind, when I posted what my standard operating procedure currently is ... I only did that to give you an idea of a potential power range and takeoff rates. I wasn't trying to say 'this is how it should be done'. If I were in your shoes I'd try running at that power/rate, take off very slow in the beginning until you're confident that you are into hearts. That's what's important at first in order to learn your still. Later you'll have PLENTY of opportunities to fool around with your power & takeoff rate. Run at a lower power and a lower takeoff rate. Try stepping up the power as well as your takeoff rate. Keep notes on every single test you do otherwise the info will be gone. I find it better to do tests by stepping power up rather than starting high and turning power down. I think that aids in keeping the column stabilized up until the point when you are creeping up to a power range that is too high.

Also monitor what your vapor temp temp is and what happens as you step up the power and stabilize the column again. That can be a good indicator if/when you are disrupting the equilibrium. For instance if you stabilize your column at 2200W or 2750W see what the vapor temp is. I'm willing to bet that if you ramp it up to 3600W, stabilize again, the vapor temp was probably higher. The rising vapors pushed less volatile vapors to the top of the column and smeared your product.

Think of your still as your very first super sport bike. You will not run at any range close to peak performance until you first obtain knowledge based on experience with that bike. Go slow and work up.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:02 am Repeat my last line out loud 100 times :D
Thanks again bunny, I am well into 2nd attempt, this time with patience!

I keep reading SMF's guidance as I go, 1st effort was a joke, I got carried away. This time it going like this:-
  • Straight down to 2755w power
  • 30 mins of balancing
  • opened gate valve 1/2 turn
  • opened gate valve 1/2 turn every 5 minutes for until I hit 3 turns
  • Almost immediatedy at 3 turns, I wound back to 2.75 turns because it looked too fast like my last effort
  • 1st 500ml jar took 1hr 20mins
Started collecting in 1/2 500ml jars after jar one, once fores are gone, I am going to "let her rip" I think is the term:)

Running at bang on 500ml/h since 2.75 gate valve turns, thought about tweaking valve to 2.875 turns but not going to bother, it could be a whole waste of my day.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:26 am My 28l charge of 40% produces only 1.5l of fores and heads and is well into hearts. (I make NO CUTS on my strips)
As far as acetone goes, you may get some, but there are a multitude of other nasty things you also want to get rid of.
I just did a quick calculation. 28L * 40%ABV = 11.2L alcohol
1.5L fores & heads / 11.2L alcohol = 13.4% fores & heads

I have 25L of 32%ABV = 8L alcohol * 13.4% fores & heads = 1.072L fores and heads
I have collected 1.38L so far and going strong with acetoney smell, carry on like this and I'll be supplying the beauty parlours.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 am Started collecting in 1/2 500ml jars after jar one, once fores are gone, I am going to "let her rip" I think is the term:)
Be sure to have removed Foreshots ALL of Heads and be sure that you are into the Hearts before taking off significantly faster.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Hearts don't exist, 1875ml of acetone so far. I am starting to wonder a) if SPP needs a shed load more equalisation or b) if my stripping run cut short had taken an overly large portion of the nasties and leaving the cleaner end behind.

Still powered at 2755w, vapour constant at 78.6, RC and shotgun out constant, ABV constant.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:39 am
bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:26 am My 28l charge of 40% produces only 1.5l of fores and heads and is well into hearts. (I make NO CUTS on my strips)
I just did a quick calculation. 28L * 40%ABV = 11.2L alcohol
1.5L fores & heads / 11.2L alcohol = 13.4% fores & heads

I have 25L of 32%ABV = 8L alcohol * 13.4% fores & heads = 1.072L fores and heads
I have collected 1.38L so far and going strong with acetoney smell, carry on like this and I'll be supplying the beauty parlours.
If your takeoff rate is slow enough, and considering how good your spp appears, when you come to the end of heads it should be very abrupt and certainly noticeable.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Hebden, if you are in the mood to do a test, you could try this:
1. Close your gate valve and bump your power up a bit.
2. Watch your vapor temp and wait until the column has stabilized. Did your vapor temp drop?

The reason I mention this is because your vapor temp is significantly higher than I have ever experienced during a spirit run. My vapor temp only gets that high when tails has already started coming. Makes me wonder if your SPP likes to be driven harder and needing the power bumped up or not. I don't know. I know my controller may read different than your thermometer. Maybe it's altitude difference or something else. I do not know. All I know is that it can't hurt to do a test knowing you can always pour what you've collected back into the boiler.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 am Hearts don't exist, 1875ml of acetone so far. I am starting to wonder a) if SPP needs a shed load more equalisation or b) if my stripping run cut short had taken an overly large portion of the nasties and leaving the cleaner end behind.

Still powered at 2755w, vapour constant at 78.6, RC and shotgun out constant, ABV constant.
I don't equalize at all due to my slow take off rate.

Did you take any cuts on your stripping run?

Did you taste/sample your low wines?

Have you tasted your current distillate?
Take the next 5mls as a sample, add 25mls distilled water, mix well.
Take a big swig and swish it around your mouth and spit.
Describe.....
Last edited by bunny on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

bunny wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:03 pm
Hebden wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 am Hearts don't exist, 1875ml of acetone so far. I am starting to wonder a) if SPP needs a shed load more equalisation or b) if my stripping run cut short had taken an overly large portion of the nasties and leaving the cleaner end behind.

Did you take any cuts on your stripping run?
No
Did you taste/sample your low wines?
No
Have you tasted your current distillate?
No
Take the next 5mls as a sample, add 25mls distilled water, mix well.
Take a big swig and swish it around your mouth and spit.
Describe.....
Wow, that's horrid, like it smells, nail polish remover
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Well 1875ml is 1.8 liters (4 pint jars). You may be on track still. Could still be in heads. It shouldn't be reeking just like Acetone though in my experience. This and your vapor temp has me questioning what's going on exactly.

My heads cut is often around 7-8 pints and my boiler charge is twice the size as what yours is right now.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Also have you checked the % ABV of the product recently? If the % ABV is too low then that could explain why the vapor temp is relatively high. Maybe not, but it's still wise to check the ABV.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

have you thought about starting with a pot still?
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:28 pm have you thought about starting with a pot still?
Earlier he said, "I have 25L of 32%ABV" so I assume he's doing a spirit run with low wines from a stripping run.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:00 pm Hebden, if you are in the mood to do a test, you could try this:
1. Close your gate valve and bump your power up a bit.
I am on with it. Gate closed, now I am going to find the limit of my RC before vapour appear for starters, then I will move on to your ideas Salt.
2. Watch your vapor temp and wait until the column has stabilized. Did your vapor temp drop?
Equalised at 3750w, so far, vapour temp still the same, RC has risen a bit. Like I say, going to stage power up and see what RC can control. Just bumping past 4000w now

The reason I mention this is because your vapor temp is significantly higher than I have ever experienced during a spirit run. My vapor temp only gets that high when tails has already started coming. Makes me wonder if your SPP likes to be driven harder and needing the power bumped up or not. I don't know. I know my controller may read different than your thermometer. Maybe it's altitude difference or something else. I do not know. All I know is that it can't hurt to do a test knowing you can always pour what you've collected back into the boiler.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Sorry if I spooked ya about the vapor temp, but it's just 2F higher than I've ever seen it. Still curious what the % ABV (temp corrected) of your last jar was to see if it's functioning as it should.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:46 pm Sorry if I spooked ya about the vapor temp, but it's just 2F higher than I've ever seen it. Still curious what the % ABV (temp corrected) of your last jar was to see if it's functioning as it should.
Only thought on vapour temp is that mine is a probe shoved through a cork into the vapour path and I think your is a thermowell.
I am currently pushing 4800w, RC still no vapour out top. Oh and vapour still 78.6......

Temp corrected ABV's either 96.8%ABV or 95.2%ABV depending whose correction you use. The digital version reads higher than the pdf chart.
Those were reading before I closed off and boosted power.
https://www.copper-alembic.com/en/page/ ... tion-table
http://www.fairesagnole.eu/homedistille ... ntable.pdf
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 pm Also have you checked the % ABV of the product recently? If the % ABV is too low then that could explain why the vapor temp is relatively high. Maybe not, but it's still wise to check the ABV.
I was thinking his vapor temp was slightly low. 78.6c converts to 172.4f- azeo at 29.92bp, sea level. My temp floats because of bp changes a whole degree f more or less when at azeo and is a little lower during fores & heads. I'm at about 170' asl with major barometric fluctuations.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Phew that got hairy, well I learn't RC cannot handle 5250w with gate closed. She's chugging away at 4550w now no steam, and I do mean chugging.
Now I can TRY to stabilise for a while before slow take off.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Closing down for night, too long at it, tired and the temp cork is leaking now. Re-fill and start again tomorrow.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:34 pm Earlier he said, "I have 25L of 32%ABV" so I assume he's doing a spirit run with low wines from a stripping run.
ah I must have missed that sorry, it sounds strange to me that there's so much heads in his run, I am wondering if it's compressed tails that he's then smearing through the whole run then mistaking it for headsy acetone? I know the tails can turn into some weird chemical-scented stuff when you smush it down enough

then fudge up the equilibrium on the column by messing with the power too much and it can smear through the whole run.

of course someone else prob already said that too in this thread... :crazy: I try to read first lol but there's a lot of pages to this one
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:07 am
I try to read first lol but there's a lot of pages to this one

Given that this thread has evolved well past "design of a still", and has touched on recipes and fermentation and operation and now cuts, perhaps it's time to break out the issues into their respective sub-topics.

Otherwise lots of information and guidance gets buried and lost.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

Or it could be the one journey that goes from beginning to end?

I have branched out into other topic areas when needed and then brought that info (with reference links) back to this journey. I may well be doing the same in the SPP area soon, but it will not be lost.

Heres where SPP community come in:
viewtopic.php?p=7734131#p7734131