2" shotgun built by our friend Twisted Brick. Unboxing and review.

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

2" shotgun built by our friend Twisted Brick. Unboxing and review.

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2" shotgun built by our friend Twisted Brick. Unboxing and review.

Post by Deplorable »

I had a hell of a time limiting the water flow on mine today to keep a temp gradient and the distillate coming out close to 60F. The water supply was just too cold.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Deplorable wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:18 pm I had a hell of a time limiting the water flow on mine today to keep a temp gradient and the distillate coming out close to 60F. The water supply was just too cold.
Man, tell me about it. I almost cannot run a small enough flow to this thing. With my old liebig I like to keep condenser worm/hot about 1/3-2/3 of the way down.

But with this thing, the tiniest adjustments to flow rate leave the entire condenser shell hot, or cold. I mean... its a really nice problem to have. While running low and slow, my cooling water coming out is a stream almost the same size as my distillate stream.

I did a 13 hour spirit run yesterday and I bet I didn't use more than 5 or 6 gallons of cooling water.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I dont know how everyone else does it, but what works for me is I built a water manifold to feed both of my condensers independently. Mains water is regulated down to 20 psi entering the manifold. the manifold is 3/4 inch controlled by a 3/4' gate valve. Each cooling line is 1/4ID, and fed from a 1/2 inch gate valve. I use knock off John Guest push connect fittings on both ends.
On a normal spirit run, when the tap water is around 50F, the gate valve to the shotty is open about a quarter turn to get a temperature gradient and the distillate between 58 and 62F. Discharge water is too hot to keep your hand in, and comes out of the condenser in a stream not much wider than my spirit stream. slow the water any more, and the hose spigot starts to get a weird harmonic vibration. (12" long anti-frost)
Today, the weather was a little bi-polar and we had snow, sleet, hail, rain and some sun breaks. The water was so cold my spirit temps were 54 to 58F for the whole run and most of the time I only had about 4 inches of warm water jacket. It wasnt until I started stripping the last of the tails that I was able to find a sweet spot.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah, I think I will just need a better valve that allows me more fine tuned adjustment of my flow rate.

For now I have a 1/2" hose that hooks directly to the water spigot.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:38 pm
But with this thing, the tiniest adjustments to flow rate leave the entire condenser shell hot, or cold. I mean... its a really nice problem to have. While running low and slow, my cooling water coming out is a stream almost the same size as my distillate stream.

I did a 13 hour spirit run yesterday and I bet I didn't use more than 5 or 6 gallons of cooling water.
HBP - I’m a newb so take this idea with a grain of salt, but you might try a mixing valve from your pc output back to your pc input. This would allow you to temper your input water temp. Mixing valves could be expensive, but a couple back flow preventers and a small needle valve can accomplish the same thing.

On edit - forgot to mention that was an excellent video. Was gonna just get the parts from TB, but seriously considering letting him build it for me. Like you I could do it, but good lord he does good work.
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Man that is a beauty. Nice workmanship on the finished product. Think you made an excellent choice here.
I communicated with TB a couple months back about a PC and a couple of other upgrades for my Rig to increase efficiency, He is very knowledgeable on the subject. I'll be going this route when I make those changes.
I agree with you that I could buy the parts and build it but it would not look nearly as professional.
NW
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Not to turn this into a commercial for TB, but have to give a "+1" on his workmanship. I got one of his shotguns recently and echo what everyone else is saying... Everything is top notch, right down to the box he ships it in. Good price too, to get into a COPPER condenser with proper BAFFLES (which you'll note most commercial manufacturers don't even mention.)

Here is mine clobbering all of 5500w on a stripping run:
IMG_0702.jpeg
Wish we could attach bigger images though...

TwoSheds
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

What a thing of beauty. Perfection at its finest.

Very nice work TristedBrick!!!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thank you gentlemen, and thanks again to Hillbilly Popstar for the time and effort in putting together such a great video. I'm enjoying building these and it is truly gratifying to see pics from the members who have added this shotty to their rigs.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
PuckJunkie76
Novice

Post by PuckJunkie76 »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:43 pm
How long is this condenser?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 am How long is this condenser?
Watch the video. cheat sheet 3:15. Your best guess would be close enough.
be water my friend
PuckJunkie76
Novice

Post by PuckJunkie76 »

Cob, I watched that darn video twice before posting and missed that both times!! Thanks for the cheat sheet!!

[/quote]
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm I watched that darn video twice before posting and missed that both times!! Thanks for the cheat sheet!!
Are sure you watched.. just maybe one has to have the sound card working, but it's sure is stated..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
PuckJunkie76
Novice

Post by PuckJunkie76 »

Yes, I watched it..yes the sound was up...I missed it..was an honest mistake...and I thanked him for pointing it out to me...I caught it after he did, so not sure why the snarky response....
StillerBoy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm
PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm I watched that darn video twice before posting and missed that both times!! Thanks for the cheat sheet!!
Are sure you watched.. just maybe one has to have the sound card working, but it's sure is stated..

Mars
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StillerBoy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm Are sure you watched.. just maybe one has to have the sound card working, but it's sure is stated
PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:13 pm so not sure why the snarky response....
Your coming across as an A-hole again Stillerboy.......choose your words more carefully when replying....or dont reply.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm Cob, I watched that darn video twice before posting and missed that both times!! Thanks for the cheat sheet!!

[/quote]

Not sure why you're asking, but I know Twisted makes these by hand. if you have specific needs I'm sure he can accommodate.

I think mine is just shy of 20 (can't remember honestly) and it's crazy good at knocking down 5,500w with minimal flow. Nice product!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:13 pm Yes, I watched it..yes the sound was up...I missed it..was an honest mistake...
HPS actually slightly misquoted the dimensions of his condenser. The one in the video is 21".

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:50 pm
Not sure why you're asking, but I know Twisted makes these by hand. if you have specific needs I'm sure he can accommodate.
This would be correct. I have made a number of different sized condensers for members on request. A 24" shotty looks hella long compared to a 21", but in most cases, I feel the extra 3" is not needed.
Attachments
Atlantic vapor tubes jpeg.jpg
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 am but in most cases, I feel the extra 3" is not needed.
I support that statement, having experimented with different length and size of tubing..

I presently use for stripping a shotty that's 7" overall length having 5 - 7/16" tubes, and can easily knockdown 4500w with a little less than a litre per min of water flow..

I'm an advocate of slower stripping speed, which is at 3500w and at that speed, I use less than 1/2 l/m of water flow..

Efficiency of any PC is directly related to the water flow and temp used..

The baffle design and placement are what makes a shotty either efficient or not, along with the water temp used..

Mars
Attachments
Shotty..  7 x 2" with 5 - 7/16" tubes..
Shotty.. 7 x 2" with 5 - 7/16" tubes..
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 am
PuckJunkie76 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:13 pm Yes, I watched it..yes the sound was up...I missed it..was an honest mistake...
HPS actually slightly misquoted the dimensions of his condenser. The one in the video is 21".

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:50 pm
This would be correct. I have made a number of different sized condensers for members on request. A 24" shotty looks hella long compared to a 21", but in most cases, I feel the extra 3" is not needed.
God damn, that's some beautiful guts!
I'm quite happy with the 24" I have and I can say without a doubt it'll handle anything I throw at it! Going to be putting it through it's paces with a 9kw element in the next couple weeks and I can't wait!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:43 am
Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 am but in most cases, I feel the extra 3" is not needed.
I support that statement, having experimented with different length and size of tubing..

I presently use for stripping a shotty that's 7" overall length having 5 - 7/16" tubes, and can easily knockdown 4500w with a little less than a litre per min of water flow..

I'm an advocate of slower stripping speed, which is at 3500w and at that speed, I use less than 1/2 l/m of water flow..

Efficiency of any PC is directly related to the water flow and temp used..

The baffle design and placement are what makes a shotty either efficient or not, along with the water temp used..

Mars
that head is a beauty! Nice and clean!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm that head is a beauty! Nice and clean!
Thank you..

If I'm going to spend the time babysitting her, she needs to be good lookin.. not just being efficient..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Is that a pink Ralph Lauren polo tank top? Where do I get one?
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Man… I want one of these. Very nice craftsmanship!

I have a stainless shotty at the moment. Gets the job done, but leaves the distillate pretty warm with all 5500W on stripping runs. Also, no copper on the exit side. I have to supplement my all stainless setup with lots of copper mesh in the vapor path on my strips and a bunch of wads in the boiler.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:08 am I have to supplement my all stainless setup with lots of copper mesh in the vapor path on my strips and a bunch of wads in the boiler.
That's the issue with stainless column/riser and what amount of copper is required .. which is not talked about much other than copper is needed.. and not discounting the extra cost and maintenance..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:07 am
BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:08 am I have to supplement my all stainless setup with lots of copper mesh in the vapor path on my strips and a bunch of wads in the boiler.
That's the issue with stainless column/riser and what amount of copper is required .. which is not talked about much other than copper is needed.. and not discounting the extra cost and maintenance..

Mars
Yeah I agree that there’s not much info about “how much” copper. I feel like I grossly overcompensate with how much I pack in the riser because, in the past, I had one whiskey ferment that kicked lots of sulfur. It was a fluke though, no idea why it happened. These days, I put A LOT of mesh in the riser for stripping runs and also a lot in the boiler. Keeps everything sweet and clean.

Interesting anecdote. I just bought a steam condensing lid for my brewing kettle so I can make beer indoors and collect the steam in a bucket. The smell of the concentrated DMS was exactly what I remembered smelling in the sulfury distillate. Cooked vegetable and a weird meaty-ness.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:59 pm I feel like I grossly overcompensate with how much I pack in the riser because, in the past, I had one whiskey ferment that kicked lots of sulfur. It was a fluke though, no idea why it happened. These days, I put A LOT of mesh in the riser for stripping runs and also a lot in the boiler. Keeps everything sweet and clean.
Since you never fully understood what exactly happen, or why, calling it a fluke will not put the experience to rest, as it will always be on your mind until it's re-visited or re-in acted..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Chauncey wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:45 am Is that a pink Ralph Lauren polo tank top? Where do I get one?
It's custom. I make them at home.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 am
Chauncey wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:45 am Is that a pink Ralph Lauren polo tank top? Where do I get one?
It's custom. I make them at home.
Lol I figured.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.