THE SPP USAGE POST

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: THE SPP USAGE POST

Post by bitter »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm
Curious, how much power are you running?
The cleaning run at end I was close to 5500 watts.

I'm not sure I figure the ffv I ran today was 4000 to 5000w to start if temp wavers at all just bumped power up a little. I can run at full 5500 and did on the sac run at the end and could have used more power.

I tried lower power but takoff was alot slower and no different in quality at the higher speed. I found at beginning the strip run I was at 5500 but got close to comming out the top so backed power off and stabilized and then tweaked power till almost a vibration or sound could hear feel when column seamed to get to the magic fluidized bed I also did with the copper blocker but seams way more effective for spp.

I am sure after this is done no more strips. I figure my plan to run these one and done will b the following:
1) get column equalized and take forshot.. I noticed temp was 172f or so for this.
2) pull heads till clean ... this seams not long seams just after hit 172.3 things were pretty clean. Slight graininess and sweet taste about it.
3) pull hearts maybe 3/4 or so of expected hearts and then slow things a but to help keep hearts cut wider
4) likely not pull tails and just stop unless doing making pure whiskey.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Some more playing tonight..
I decided to push as just stripping and do a bit faster.

I ran for 2 minute to let temp stabilize to 173F and no higher. Since stripping form wash does not mater then took test
First I did 8 lph that's surely not sustainable but was at tat rate about 5 minutes total before backing things off
so cut back to 4.68 lph
Then backed to 3.5 LPH so don't have to mess with things as boiler % drops.

I'm really happy.. 8LPH is just a test won't run here as I don't see this being stable long term. But it does tell me the slush factor I have running at 3.2 LPH is nice maybe even can run a bit faster especially just striping at as high proof as possible to clean this up.

Edit: Settled on 3.8 LPH last night and it had a hickup at the end as was just a touch high on power.. about 80 percent through. but changed up things re stabilized and chugged along at 3.68 LPH after that till done.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I have done several Runs now testing FFV

This is the typical result for my setup now:
FFV-SPP.jpg
I did a run with about 21L of 96.5% diluted to 40% and ran it.

I got 65% takes on that run. could have been more as were some nice flavors coming but could start to detect taste and smell.. so no longer neutral so called it quits. 3.2 LPH is very obtainable and only need to slow down near the very end.

I also went over to a friends house to run with my column and his boiler to run a sugar wash with turbo he did. I ran it slower about 2.2 LPH to try to clean things up. It did pretty good job was little flavor left when done. It looked like about 65% take there also depend what buddy decided todo with the last jar. if he kept it would been more.

In the past I was typically about %50 maybe 55% max so SPP is a big step up and to get that clean from a turbo wash was great!

Overall SPP is a great success and really happy after so many years finally went that way. It has speed things up and making clean neutral for Gin an much easier deal.

I think next will do some Wineos or Shady's sugar shine for a even more neutral wash I used TSFFV as it has some flavor and I like the character of it.. SPP too most that character away pretty amazing! Just a bit of sweet hint of grain and that's it from what I kept. I have some tails I normally don't keep but they are nice like a wheat whiskey almost character so will add some that back into the next run or whiskey for some wheat character possibly.. for neutral in the past I never kept feints.

Also plan toso some Ian Smiley Making Pure whiskey with this. At 3.2 LPH that's pretty fast.. and about 1.4 GPH at 60% Faster than I ran in pot mode and maybe a tad cleaner. Might also push things harder for whiskey to help things smear a bit and help with the flavors.. time will tell.

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Sounds like some great results bitter! Looking back a the thread you said you were running 51" of packing in a 3" column, is that still the setup?

I'd like to upgrade before my next neutrals run but haven't found a good source for the stuff in the US without paying crazy shipping from overseas. Even Dr Gradus is offline (but hopefully safe and well) and the only options on eBay look like springs, not what I would consider SPP.

Thanks for sharing your results.

TwoSheds
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:58 am Sounds like some great results bitter! Looking back a the thread you said you were running 51" of packing in a 3" column, is that still the setup?

I'd like to upgrade before my next neutrals run but haven't found a good source for the stuff in the US without paying crazy shipping from overseas. Even Dr Gradus is offline (but hopefully safe and well) and the only options on eBay look like springs, not what I would consider SPP.

TwoSheds
This might sound bazaar.
I bought some spp from unhappy or retired spp purchasers from this sight.
Now I have all I will ever need.
Just ask around.
You never know.
You might even get a good deal.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:58 am Sounds like some great results bitter! Looking back a the thread you said you were running 51" of packing in a 3" column, is that still the setup?

TwoSheds
Yes 52 inches in 3inch boka.

My buddy once figures out cutting is thinking of starting to sell it. This is just over 6 mm so aimed at about perfect for a 3 inch

I could run this fast with copper packing but needed 40 percent in boiler from 10 percent wash can run at 3.2 lph so likely no more stripping. Maybe do one strip so double amount in boiler for easier cuts.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds
Yes 51 inches in 3inch boka.

My buddy once figures out cutting is thinking of starting to sell it. This is just over 6 mm so aimed at about perfect for a 3 inch

I could run this fast with copper packing but needed 40 percent in boiler from 10 percent wash can run at 3.2 lph so likely no more stripping. Maybe do one strip so double amount in boiler for easier cuts.

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bunny wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:34 pm This might sound bazaar.
I bought some spp from unhappy or retired spp purchasers from this sight.
Now I have all I will ever need.
Just ask around.
You never know.
You might even get a good deal.
I kinda keep my ear to the ground, but you're right, I could post in the classifieds once in a while to see if someone wants to unload some. Good suggestion.
bitter wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:55 pm Yes 51 inches in 3inch boka.

B
Good to hear there might be a source in the future. I ran into this video in a search and love the cutting method, though the wire seems a little thin. Still, a cool and straightforward machine design.

Thanks.

TwoSheds
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Our SPP is just over 6mm od and about 9 to 10 mm long
It's .023" 308 stainless steel
20220520_201433.jpg
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bitter wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:58 am Our SPP is just over 6mm od and about 9 to 10 mm long
20220520_201433.jpg
Hey Bitter, did your friend ever figure out cutting? I'm starting to think about a neutral run and still don't have a good SPP source.

Thanks.

Jon
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 am
bitter wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:58 am Our SPP is just over 6mm od and about 9 to 10 mm long
20220520_201433.jpg
Hey Bitter, did your friend ever figure out cutting? I'm starting to think about a neutral run and still don't have a good SPP source.

Thanks.

Jon
Not yet but I will ping him.. might light a fire :)

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 am
20220520_201433.jpg

Thanks.

Jon
Jon he is doing it by hand but is up running and started selling some. check out the classified ad in that section to contact him.

I was his test subject..... I cut mine all by hand.. took a couple weeks evening for 6 liters worth.. I will do more testing when I have some time.

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Saw that. I haven't done the conversion from CDN to USD but it's almost as expensive as getting it shipped from overseas.

Looks like nice stuff, but I'll have to continue to ponder. Good to see a domestic source though!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:24 am Saw that. I haven't done the conversion from CDN to USD but it's almost as expensive as getting it shipped from overseas.

Looks like nice stuff, but I'll have to continue to ponder. Good to see a domestic source though!
Right round $74 per liter
pipes+hose
Novice

Post by pipes+hose »

Damn, I want to get SPP and it looks like bitter was selling the right size for 3 inch (somewhat locally), but he hasn't been online for 9 months.

Does anyone know his friend who was selling it (or an alternative source for that larger size)? I don't see a post about it in the classifieds section.

I'm hoping if he comes back online he'll see my pm or this post.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

It was bitters friend, I got some from him but shipping into the US took some doing.

I sent him an email, I'll let you know if he's still making it.

I have 2 liters from copper distillers I would be willing to part with but but it's the small stuff. Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll look up what I paid for it.
champagneave
Novice

Post by champagneave »

Ahh Elbono, seeing you not want to part with my SPP gave me a warm fuzzy feeling!
Pipes+hose I sent you an OFFLIST email.
pipes+hose
Novice

Post by pipes+hose »

Thanks for getting contacting me!

Elbono: thanks for the offer but I'm less interested in the small stuff, also I can avoid cross boarder shipping costs with champagneave
pipes+hose
Novice

Post by pipes+hose »

Tldr: the new SPP works great. I'm still learning how to use it best.

Figured I'd give my account of my first use of SPP. I've done a few clean up runs on odds and ends and low quality stuff that was sitting around and 2 full new ferment through strip and spirit.

For reference in the past i ran a 1.5 inch boka with 40 inches of copper mesh on 1350W of electric 58L keg. And that worked reasonably.

I upgraded to a 3 inch boca at 60 inches tall and 2600 watts. I tried packing it with copper and stainless mesh but could never get it running right no matter what i tried, for months. But this isn't the place to trouble shoot that, and i don't want to put any more thought towards it.

The SPP
Then i got 6L of stainless SPP (around 7.5mm OD and 8 to 12mm long) that packs around 52 inches of my column and it just works. No screwing around with rolling mesh too loose or too tight. It doesn't get packed down and need a reroll. It doesn't get stuck in the column like mesh can. It isn't going to degrade like copper mesh. It just works right.

I do sugar washes from 200L ferments and like to strip (4 runs) with packing to get around 90%, then do a spirit run with the whole ferment worth of low wines.

On the 1.5 i could strip around 800ml/hr, on the new with SPP i can average 2000ml (start at 2500 or 3000, end at 1500). In the old i would spirit run around 375ml/h, in the new i got decent results with 1200-1500ml/h.

As for efficiency and amount of good product i think i am getting a little more than i used to (but only have 2 full ferments so far). I accepted what i was getting in the past so i don't have a lot of notes but it was in the order of 30% of the theoretical max the sugar could make, where i hear others getting 50 or even 60%.

Off this first 35kg ferment with the SPP (spirit run at 1500ml/hr) i got 4.5L of approx. 94% that i consider to be good and 1.8L of stuff that i think is acceptable but I've got it sectioned off in case i don't like it.

On my second ferment (30kg/200L) (1200ml/hr) I did better, looks like I'll keep 5.3L at 95% of good quality and 1.2L of ok quality. That's the best efficiency I've ever had. I also had a very abrupt change from hearts to tails, jar 24 had a slight hint of it and 25 was wretched. I was able to get approximately 95.7 abv at 1200ml/h.

I think it really did better at 1200 than 1500, it really stuffed the tails down, but i also changed from 35 to 30 kg of sugar in 200L.

In both cases I've keep some of the less offensive heads and tails to re run and pull some more good product out of.

Future i plan to:
1 do cuts in my stripping runs to leave a smaller higher quality spirit run
2 use variable speed in the spirit run (lower speeds for heads and near the transition to tails)
3 upgrade my electrical to get 2800w
4 Get my process standardized
5 long term, add a new burner to get 4200w, add a new rad to deal with the cooling
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

With more power you will be able to push it hard and keep same ABV or higher yet increase production.

Glad to see you are seeing great results!

B
champagneave
Novice

Post by champagneave »

Sounds like you're getting your new still dialed in. I would be interested to hear the results of your other modifications when you do them, I think more cooling and a higher wattage element would let you run a little faster, but every rig is different. You have to figure out what works for you and your system. Glad I could help!

Enjoy the Day!