3D Printing – Anything Distilling Related

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: 3D Printing – Anything Distilling Related

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I enlarged this thing to 1.5" diameter and screwed them in place on rolling bases for my fermenters and my stripping boiler. They make it east to center them and stay centered especially when empty. I printed them in PETG.
Centering Bumpers 01.jpg
Centering Bumpers 02.jpg
Centering Bumpers 03.jpg
Centering Bumpers 04.jpg
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I wanted a way to ventilate and dry both an 8 gallon carboy and my still after use. Bought a cheap battery powered fan, and made this for it.
IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg
It fits on 1.5” tri clamp fittings..
IMG_2959.jpeg
IMG_2961.jpeg
.. and screws nice and tight onto the neck of the carboy, with vents to let air back out around the perimeter.
IMG_2956.jpeg
Last edited by Steve Broady on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

I like it. Should work well for you.Good jon man.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Steve Broady, that is pretty cool and I'd bet it works well. Quite a while ago I printed one of these Carboy stands. You would think one of these should work pretty good, but they really don't. All they do is help carboys to drain, but they don't appear to make them dry any quicker.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:21 pm Carboy stands. You would think one of these should work pretty good, but they really don't. All they do is help carboys to drain, but they don't appear to make them dry any quicker.
I thought about something similar, but I realized that I needed some air flow to get it to dry faster. I already had the fan on hand, so I figured why not try it? Took a couple rounds to get the details worked out, but I’m happy with the result.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice work Steve .

Just wondering what 3d design software you are all using ?
Fusion 360 looks good but its a steep learning curve for a couple of one offs ….. and bloody expensive.

I used Tinkercad as suggested by bluc . It’s quite functional for its simpleness . The design plate form is only 200mm but if you scale in slicer , you can effectively get bigger
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Nice work man. I'd be hard pressed to use a 3f printer. Hell I can barely get a regular printer to work. Nice man.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:21 pm Nice work Steve .

Just wondering what 3d design software you are all using ?
Fusion 360 looks good but its a steep learning curve for a couple of one offs ….. and bloody expensive.

I used Tinkercad as suggested by bluc . It’s quite functional for its simpleness . The design plate form is only 200mm but if you scale in slicer , you can effectively get bigger
I’m sorry, I just saw this today. I’m using the free hobby version of Fusion 360. I’ve been playing with 3D drafting and printing for several years, so it’s not too bad a job to go from idea to finished part in a few hours, but you’re right about the learning curve. One piece of advice I’ll give to anyone interested is to try to get themselves into the mindset of the software developer. If you can figure out how they were thinking about a problem, the solution usually becomes a lot more obvious. And of course, there are a number of excellent tutorials on YouTube.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

A relative of mine who 3D prints loves using Fusion 360. I tried using it a few times and I was totally lost. I mostly use TinkerCad for making basic alterations to existing 3D files (.STL files) that I download from Thingiverse, STLfinder, Thangs.com, etc... I don't draw 3D models from scratch unless it's shapes that are extremely basic. Even though I haven't studied up on Fusion 360 in order to make better use of my 3D printer, I still think a printer is well worthwhile and simple to use. I've printed so many useful things that I can't even remember, so many that I think it's paid for itself. Once I got on the kick of printing the loudest whistles I could find files for. I used them in training our dogs and now they come when you whistle even if they're out of sight.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I used Rhino for my 2 and 3d then would convert to either the printer or CAD/CAM software for milling.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I’ve also used Sketchup for quite a bit of model railroad related items. To be honest, I think I pushed it way past what it was intended to do, and crashed the computer more than once in the process. Sketchup is easier to learn, but Fusion is a lot easier to work with in the end. Being parametric has saved me hours of work by letting me adjust one dimension without having to redraw the whole part.
Edit: Probably the most difficult and most helpful thing for me to learn about fusion was that the primary concern is constraints rather than dimensions. Lines, objects, features, etc. are constrained relative to each other and relative to the axis, more so than defined by the dimensions. Once I really understood that, things started to make a lot more sense. Hopefully that will help, anyone else reading this who is trying to figure out fusion.
My time is somewhat limited, so I can’t make any promises, but I’d be willing to try to help out with an occasional question or problem or project for a member here.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Asked my nephew to print me some snap on clips to replace the metal binder clips on my gin pot.

These are the first iteration.
1690357287332238574605080264299.jpg
Make Booze, not War!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

MooseMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:42 pm Asked my nephew to print me some snap on clips to replace the metal binder clips on my gin pot.
What material are those clips, MooseMan? I’d be concerned about them softening in the heat, especially if they’re PLA. Let us know how they work out, please.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I'm not sure what they are printed from but I told him PLA would not be any good and why, so hopefully they hold up.

I'm going to trial them on my next gin run so yes, I'll update you on it.
Make Booze, not War!
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

MooseMan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:42 pm Asked my nephew to print me some snap on clips to replace the metal binder clips on my gin pot.

These are the first iteration.

1690357287332238574605080264299.jpg
Nice work man. I like it. Think they should work well.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

MooseMan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:00 am I'm not sure what they are printed from but I told him PLA would not be any good and why, so hopefully they hold up.

I'm going to trial them on my next gin run so yes, I'll update you on it.
If it isn't PLA, it's probably PETG which should be good up to 195F or so.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Yeah it feels like PET so that's what I'm guessing he used, I'll find out if they are up to the temps, and if they are even a good fit, on Friday.

If they cope with the temp I'm going to ask him to print some fan mounts for me as well, so I can have a push/pull fan arrangement across the fins on my air cooling.
Make Booze, not War!
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

I use my foreshots and early heads as cleaner around the shop. It's the best cleaner I've ever used. Even compared to store bought cleaners.

Another use for it is I give it to my son. He's into 3D printing. He wipes it over his 3D prints and it soothes out the surface and gives it a better appearance.
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

Fores and heads are great pesticide as well; kills flys and wasps after a short period.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

IMG_3282.jpeg
I needed an extra large funnel to make filling the carboy a bit easier and less messy. Of course it needed some kind of ventilation to let the air out, and some way to hold it stable. And then I realized that I already had the design 95% done, with the fan shroud above. So I modified that design and printed this beauty up.

It even fits on the boiler, as well.
IMG_3284.jpeg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Not 3D printed, but I've been cutting patterns to build stands for my BadMo barrels with my laser cutter.
I'm just using old fence board wood for these.
Attachments
20230416_123739.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I like that a lot, Deplorable!