3D Printing – Anything Distilling Related

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Salt Must Flow
Distiller

3D Printing – Anything Distilling Related

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Please feel free to post anything 3D printing distilling related whether it be links to STLs, pics of what you've printed, tips, upgrades, etc...

A couple years ago I bought a Voxelab Aquila 3D printer for $180.00 free shipping. It’s basically an upgraded clone of the Ender 3 printer. It functions great right out of the box after installing the latest firmware. I upgraded the print head fan to a silent fan. I upgraded the Bowden tube with a Capricorn Bowden PTFE Tube. I also upgraded the printer bed springs with the firmer yellow print bed springs. I also installed a Micro SD Card Extension Cable so I could more easily upgrade the firmware.

I started out using PLA/PLA+ filament which is good for indoor objects. Glow in the dark PLA is fun. I then tried PETG filament which has a much higher temp resistance, good for indoor/outdoor objects, not as brittle as PLA and is said to be resistant to low % ABV (like for use with fermenters). I then tried TPU which is a flexible filament like rubber.

The Voxelab Aquila has a removable, reversible glass print bed surface. It’s smooth glass on one side and a textured laminate on the other. After much testing I find that using Elmer’s Glue Stick applied directly to the glass bed works better than the textured side of the bed and is more convenient in my opinion because I can simply wash it off and apply more. Elmer’s Glue Stick works MUCH better than generic glue sticks. There are a lot of different products & sprays sold specifically for print beds, but I’m very happy using Elmer’s Glue Sticks.

So far I’ve been primarily using PrusaSlicer to slice downloaded STL files from Thingiverse, STLfinder, thangs.com, Yeggi.com and other sites that list downloadable 3D print files (STL files). Occasionally I’ll have to edit/modify STL files using TinkerCad online which is simple to use, but kinda basic/crude. Many recommend using Fusion 360 which is much more sophisticated similar to CAD software, but I haven’t delved into that yet.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: 3D Printing – Anything Distilling Related

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Things I've printed - distilling related. Each of these parts only cost pennies to print.

Cap for NEMA L14-30 Plug - I printed one for every male plug I have using PETG and they’re wonderful! I can't count how many times the prongs bent on my plugs.
NEMA L14-30 Cap 01.jpg
NEMA L14-30 Cap 02.jpg

Reinforced S-hook For Shopping Bags – I printed these using PETG to conveniently hang my power cord on my boiler so they're not dragging around on the floor or awkwardly flung over the top of the boiler. The small hook snaps around the cable and will not fall off. If I recall correctly, I bumped the size up by 10% and it fit perfectly.
S Hook 01.jpg
S Hook 02.jpg

Heating Element Safety Cover – I printed one of these using PETG for a small boiler I made from a stainless steel pot with lid.
Small pot 01.jpg
Heating Element Safety Cover.jpg
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I printed wall hooks to hang my shotgun condensers and my Liebig condenser using PETG. I had to modify the original STL file. I may have the gcode file still. I had to dip the hook in boiling water and do a final shaping to make it fit perfectly, but that’s no problem with PETG.
Shotgun Condenser Hanger.jpg
Liebig Condenser Hanger.jpg

I found an STL for a digital thermometer temp probe spool. I printed it using PETG. They also snap together too. I can't find the original link, but I may still have the STL or the gcode file.
Thermometer Probe Spool 01.jpg
Thermometer Probe Spool 02.jpg

Simple Hygrometer/Thermometer Stand - I printed a couple of these for the two inexpensive thermometers I had on hand.
Thermometer Frame.jpg
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Nice!
You could also use your printer to make label placement templates so your labels are always evenly spaced from the bottom of the bottle.
I'm excited to see all of the ideas that come with this thread!
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Very cool man! I've a CR-6 SE by Creality/Ender and have been mostly using it to print helmets, movie and game props, silly things. Also a smaller Resin printer for D&D miniatures. Been wanting to use it for the distilling hobby, but haven't had too many ideas yet on what could be useful. May print letters/words for the control boxes, rather than marker or a label maker.

Also had a similar idea on making a cover for the heating element.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I have an ender 3 with some upgrades and an elegoo mars resin printer that my girlfriend uses in her job as a jeweler. I too have been trying to think of some distilling related projects for 3d printing, but havent thought of much beyond an enclosure for my power controller.

You really should get into fusion360. Its still free for hobby use, though theyve begun making some features paywalled, specifically features related to CAM, which wouldnt really affect 3d printing use. Its amazing what the program is capable of. I use it for operating my 4 axis mill. Fun stuff.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

bcook608 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 pm Nice!
You could also use your printer to make label placement templates so your labels are always evenly spaced from the bottom of the bottle.
I'm excited to see all of the ideas that come with this thread!
Sure as well as many other type of templates. You could print shotgun condenser plates indicating the center punch holes for each tube and you can trace the outer diameter too. I've had to print centering collars with a hole in the center to act as a concentric drill hole guide for a non-distilling related project that would have otherwise required a lathe.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 am Very cool man! I've a CR-6 SE by Creality/Ender and have been mostly using it to print helmets, movie and game props, silly things. Also a smaller Resin printer for D&D miniatures. Been wanting to use it for the distilling hobby, but haven't had too many ideas yet on what could be useful. May print letters/words for the control boxes, rather than marker or a label maker.

Also had a similar idea on making a cover for the heating element.
I'm not great at designing/drawing/modeling so I resort to finding files that I can use and maybe slightly modify. If you can model it, you can print it :thumbup:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Metalking00 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 am I have an ender 3 with some upgrades and an elegoo mars resin printer that my girlfriend uses in her job as a jeweler. I too have been trying to think of some distilling related projects for 3d printing, but havent thought of much beyond an enclosure for my power controller.

You really should get into fusion360. Its still free for hobby use, though theyve begun making some features paywalled, specifically features related to CAM, which wouldnt really affect 3d printing use. Its amazing what the program is capable of. I use it for operating my 4 axis mill. Fun stuff.
I have a friend that uses Fusion 360 and he saves a fortune by drawing & printing custom objects for his business. Printing has been a real problem solver for him. He keeps nagging me about using Fusion. I installed it, but I can't seem to do a damn thing with it. I'll have to watch some videos and learn. Maybe I'll have to go over to my buddy's place and have him show me a few basic things.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

80mm Fan Guard - Fan guards of any size and MANY different styles can be printed for controller projects.

Fan Guard.jpg
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:39 am
I have a friend that uses Fusion 360 and he saves a fortune by drawing & printing custom objects for his business. Printing has been a real problem solver for him. He keeps nagging me about using Fusion. I installed it, but I can't seem to do a damn thing with it. I'll have to watch some videos and learn. Maybe I'll have to go over to my buddy's place and have him show me a few basic things.
Theres tons of tutorial videos and the tutorial lrojects within the program are pretty good. I made a lot of progress by trying to model an existing thing (like a fork or a motorcycle brake lever), then printing it to see how close i got.

When I first
got the 3d printer, i got it as a toy to help me learn CAD, then i realised why almost everything in the world is made of plastic. It ended up being one of the mlst used tools in my shop. I use it for making fixtures for the mill, for welding setups, prototypes, and for small parts that dont need to be made of metal.

Once you learn how fusion "thinks", its pretty intuitive. Not like Rhino, i hate that program.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

bcook608 just completed a controller and has 5 1" holes for air to vent. I printed him several of these vent covers for the 1" vent holes in your enclosure. They're resized from this model.

Vent 01.jpg
Vent 02.jpg
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

I have a prussa printer and have made stuff for beer brewing over the years, I am sure I will find stuff to print for this hobby too.
My blow off yeast catcher lid is probably my best creation, I printed the seal and caps for the barbs out of TPU also.
IMG_20200214_145632.resized.jpg
IMG_20200212_080729.resized.jpg
IMG_20200209_190041.resized.jpg
IMG_20200209_190046.resized.jpg
masonYeastHarvest.zip
(36.28 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Cheers,
Jon
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Very cool!

I've printed some airlock stoppers using TPU. Stoppers are cheap, but I needed one and printed one on demand. I was in need of a 2" PVC plug for a drum lid one night and decided to print one from PETG because the stores were closed. 3D printers are very fun and handy for many uses.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I have just bought a flash forge finder. Like the hooks for storing the condenser👍
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Pity we cant print ptfe....
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

hmmm https://filament2print.com/gb/advanced/ ... 0FDM%2FFFF.

Don't know about the Polycarb portion - maybe one of our esteemed members who knows can enlighten us
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

EricTheRed wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:48 am hmmm https://filament2print.com/gb/advanced/ ... 0FDM%2FFFF.

Don't know about the Polycarb portion - maybe one of our esteemed members who knows can enlighten us
Answered my own question - https://www.calpaclab.com/polycarbonate ... ity-chart/

so nope, we still can't print PTFE

Apparently 3M has a way, but it is a print-as-a-service only
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Eric , not an esteemed member nor an expert when it comes to 3D plastics , I do however have a 3d printer at work I run pretty constantly and have had a few years fun and games .

But from reading that link , it looks like a good material in general . :thumbup: I can see many applications for it .

Iff’n the inference was whether it is suitable for direct contact with vapour it spirit . Sorry , it would be a no in my home distillery :thumbdown:

Edit : just saw your last post Eric :wink:
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Thought this was relevant. Perstaltic pump enclosure.
pump box.jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Is that what you are working on bluc ?

I’m keen on one of those Parasteltic pump designs .
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Yea @yummyrum. Just waiting on some threaded inserts. I will post over at emptys when its been printed and I know everything fits.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Watching with interest over yonder Bluc
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I have this digital scale that just takes up bench space so I printed these wall mounts in PETG to hang the scale. They worked perfectly! I boiled a small pot of water, dipped the thin end of the prints for several seconds and they conformed to the scale nicely. Only after installation did I realize that I could have just used a simple hook for this particular scale :lol:

Scale Wall Mount.jpg
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

IMG_20221005_160655.jpg
Thought I would update this :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice job blue, after retiring I really miss my 3D printer and CNC machines.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Servo Ball Valve control. Not mine, but figure it might be useful! - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3496770/files

e60d6e8e62d4d9deb173d19282c94e9f_preview_featured.jpg
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:06 pm Servo Ball Valve control. Not mine, but figure it might be useful! - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3496770/files

e60d6e8e62d4d9deb173d19282c94e9f_preview_featured.jpg
Now that's fucking sweet!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well Im convinced I could use a 3D printer. Ive been wanting to learn CAD for a while, so now I have an excuse. I picked up a FOKOOS Odin-5 F3 on Amazon for <USD$202. It gets good reviews on youtube.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:47 am Well Im convinced I could use a 3D printer. Ive been wanting to learn CAD for a while, so now I have an excuse. I picked up a FOKOOS Odin-5 F3 on Amazon for <USD$202. It gets good reviews on youtube.
If it's not too late, check out the Voxelab Aquila and compare size & features. Their newer model has features that I wish their very first model had. Mine functioned amazing right off the bat and still does. It's fantastic especially for the price. If it ever broke, I'd buy another one without hesitation.

I've learned that auto bed leveling is not necessary at all. I don't mess around with any special bed surfaces, I just use the smooth glass side and use Elmer's Glue Stick. It works perfectly and washes off easily. I can do many prints in a row, leave the old glue stick residue and simply apply more over top between prints. After a while I remove the plate, wash it off, put the plate back on and the bed remains level. If/when the bed gets out of wack for whatever reason, I just manually level the plate which is very easy and just rock on from there.