Paint mixer material for mashing

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Paint mixer material for mashing

Post by Sleighahh »

Starting to mess around with cooking corn meal for bourbons and my thin stainless steel brewer's spoon isn't up to the task.

Looking around here in NZ all the paint mixers I've seen are either zinc coated, nickel plated or painted/powder-coated and I'm not sure if any are safe to use in the mash.

Obviously stainless steel would be ideal but I haven't seen one locally. The painted ones are out. The zinc one's I'm pretty sure would be a no-go. Nickel plated could be a maybe?

The few photos I've seen posted here look like they could be coated with either zinc or nickel but hard to tell from a photo.

Any advice on if any of those would be suitable for mixing a mash?

Cheers!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Paint mixer material for mashing

Post by EricTheRed »

Had the same issue trying to find a SS one
went with a powder coated one
After more than a year of use, no chips

Even if a chip came off, i doubt it would degrade in a 8 - 12% wash

if brake fluid won't destroy it, i doubt alcohol will :)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
witch
Novice

Post by witch »

You could make your own in 20 mins 24" stainless steel rod and a stainless steel U bolt and scrap piece of stainless steel metal say 1" by 4" and the hand drill :D if your using a brew bag file corners down on scrap metal
Live today hope for tomorrow
Johnny_Mac
Novice

Post by Johnny_Mac »

Not sure if you have the ability to order via Amazon in NZ but one of these might fit the bill depending on how large you need..

https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Mixer-Pain ... YJ9CW&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Mixer-PS-2 ... r=8-6&th=1
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas A. Edison
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

+1 on the Jiffy Mixers if you can get one. They’re made for the food industry.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I wouldn't be worried in the mash phase, I think nickel coated could be fine. Alternatively, you could build it with a threaded bar, some nuts and some flat pieces. I also believe that a drill is inconvenient for the mash, unless you find a way to fix it and work yourself for a few hours ... better a gear motor.
Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Awesome, thanks for the advice folks.

Leaning towards the nickel plated at the moment - at least to hold me over until I can DIY something. Will see how the Amazon works out with shipping though.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I've been using this mixing paddle for years and it is in the same condition as the day I bought it.
Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:24 pm I've been using this mixing paddle for years and it is in the same condition as the day I bought it.
Oh nice, I did see one like this locally actually, chrome plated as well. Just a different design to the more common 'twisted ribbon' ones most people to use so I sorta glossed over it.

I assume since you've been using it for years it does a pretty good job of breaking up doughballs? OK with clumps of corn too?
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Sleighahh wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:24 pm I've been using this mixing paddle for years and it is in the same condition as the day I bought it.
Oh nice, I did see one like this locally actually, chrome plated as well. Just a different design to the more common 'twisted ribbon' ones most people to use so I sorta glossed over it.

I assume since you've been using it for years it does a pretty good job of breaking up doughballs? OK with clumps of corn too?
Honestly, I mostly do sugar washes, but I imagine it would beat the crap out of dough balls. I also very much like those spiral ribbon mixing paddles too. Mixing paddles are relatively cheap. I'd pick one, give it a try and go from there. I bought that one because it was the only type at Menards while I was there and because it was plated. It makes a really strong vortex in a 45 gal wash and airerates very well too. I doubt you could go wrong with most common styles.
Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Very true, thanks!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Zinc nor steel are a concern in the mash phase, both zinc and iron are a necessary nutrient. Zinc becomes a problem when you get it to about 900c, which I don't think you will.
:)
SJ_distiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SJ_distiller »

Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Thanks again everyone. I've been using a zinc-plated one for the last 4 mashes/washes and no dramas. I thought I had read somewhere that excess zinc in a mash could inhibit conversion but must have been mixed up with something else 'cause I couldn't re-find any info on that. But have had fine conversion and good fermentability so all is well.

Those look nice SJ. Probably cost prohibitive for me to order to NZ but does give some good inspiration for an easy-ish build, I think I even have an old false bottom around I could repurpose. I will need to upgrade eventually as the one I'm using now is fine for my 60L fermenter but will be too short when I move to bigger mashes.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Whereabouts are you?

3 or 4 years ago, I bought the 750mm version of this https://www.trenton.com.au/products/kit ... ing-paddle from a catering supply store here in Auckland.
Needed to add some holes myself, but it was cheap and it doesn't scratch up my mash tun.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I've had this one for about 10 years now. Originally designed for mixing mortar. Very powerful and adjustable speed control. Never a problem with mixing anything I threw at it. I put my single burner Camp Chef propane camping stove, (minus the removable legs,) under it for my heat source.

https://www.constructioncomplete.com/be ... 6208b.html

https://www.bnproducts.com/tools/bnmg-6 ... ing-stand/

Still 006 (2).JPG
mash boiler screen 001.JPG
Still 007 (2).JPG
Still 004 (2).JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I should not post so late on a friday night.

Totally missed the fact that the OP wasn't hand mixing. :oops:
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

SaltyStaves wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:19 pm
I should not post so late on a friday night.

There's no shame in showing us your paddle.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn