Distilling leftover AG beer

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JHeron
Novice

Distilling leftover AG beer

Post by JHeron »

I am going to do my first run next week. I have a 30L blackstrap molasses wash and a 25L brown sugar and honey wash that should be ready to run when I get back home next week.
My plan was to run a stripping run on both washes then combine the low wines from each for a spirit run in pot still mode.
I kegged a batch of my brown ale yesterday and have about 1.5 gallons that wouldnt fit in the kegs. I usually pour the leftovers down the drain but I was thinking I could just filter out the trub and throw it into the brown sugar wash for the stripping run?
Will this introduce some strange off flavours or anything?
Its a damn tasty northern english brown ale lightly hopped with 2oz of Chinook that came out at 5.5%ABV, the beer tastes like biscuits.
Cheers,
Jon
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Distilling leftover AG beer

Post by subbrew »

Probably would be OK but I wouldn't chance it. The hops might give some off flavors you would not like. It could be great but to me the risk for the little alcohol is not worth it. I would go dig out my old swing top bottles and put it there. Pouring good beer down a drain sounds like a very bad crime.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sure, go ahead and do it.

No reason not to try to salvage the alcohol from your brown ale. The hops won’t ruin the product. It may be noticeable in the low wines, but after the spirit run, it should be a lot cleaner.

This is an excellent reason for a small purpose-built potstill. I have a 16-qt stock pot ginstill that is perfect for just this type of opportunity. If you don’t have one, it’s time to consider making one.

I would never dump some of my beers down the drain. I’d always try and salvage the alcohol for something. In fact, I recently made 1-1/2 liters of absinthe from a couple of liters of 95%ABV alcohol I’d salvaged from a few cases of expired commercial beers I was given. The absinthe turned out magical & mystical, just like the “green fairy” had intended.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

It is a crime to toss potential
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Right on I will run it then and see what happens.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I would add it the low wine, and run the spirit run..

There's a book by Darek Bell called Alt Whiskeys, and he has a few whiskey recipes where he used a little hops in a gin basket during the spiriting process, so a little hops in the low wine may just do the same..

It certainly will be different than just plain brown sugar and blackstrap who knows what the results will be.. that's the beauty of the hobby, there's no limit as what a person can try..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have done a couple runs of beer whiskey. Turned out well. Less or no hops is best as the hops make a mess of the still. Just make sure and keep an eye on the column if you are running plates to make sure the hop gunk doesn’t plug the plates.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

I did my first stripping run last night on the 6KG sugar wash. What an enjoyable and interesting experience!
I got 6 jars of crystal clear hooch starting at 70% and then tapering down to 20% or so on the last jar. Does that seem about right for a pot still? I forgot to read the FG on the wash but it started at 1.071...
I ran it as a pot still with no copper packing in the column.
I threw out the first 400ml though it didnt smell much different the next 500ml or so...
Good thing I only had 5 gallons in it or it likely would have puked, I had too much heat at the start and before you knew it I had steam coming out of the condenser and the head temp jumped to 190 or so.
I will start off much slower today. What do you guys running gas normally do, crank it till you get up to 140 or so then dial it down or just go slow right from the start? I have a blichmenn burner with nice even heat distribution.
Today I hope to strip the 30L molasses wash the same way, then if time permits, do a spirit run tomorrow.
Should I use the dephlegmator for the spirit run?
I plan to pack my column with copper mesh, should I just pack the top section of the column or the whole thing?
The column consists of 2- 16" x 2" sections for a total of 32". I have a 20' x 5" roll of mesh.
Should I keep the backset from the sugar wash and add some of it to the molasses run tonight?
Should I just toss the trub from the sugar and molasses wash or use it for something else?
I plan to add the AG beer to the spirit run as Mars suggested.

I know I know, way to many questions... Answer at will!
Cheers,
Jon
20220624_173111(1).jpg
20220719_182325.jpg
20220720_064558.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… What do you guys running gas normally do, crank it till you get up to 140 or so then dial it down or just go slow right from the start? I have a blichmenn burner with nice even heat distribution.
That burner can heat the wash very quickly. So, I would advise to bring it “online” gracefully, that is don’t try to heat it too fast. One bit of advice too is that some copper boiling chips will help the boil start a little quicker and less explosively, as it “puke”. What you want is the heat distributed in the wash as the temperature raises to the boiling point. Stirring a mash will help this but boiling chips will too.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… Today I hope to strip the 30L molasses wash the same way, then if time permits, do a spirit run tomorrow. Should I use the dephlegmator for the spirit run?
What are you trying to make? A rum is a full-flavored spirit so the potstill should be adequate. But, if you’re trying to reduce flavor and get a high proof spirit offstill, then the reflux condenser (and column packing) would be the appropriate tools to use. Otherwise, I would say, “no, don’t bother with reflux”.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… I plan to pack my column with copper mesh, should I just pack the top section of the column or the whole thing?
The column consists of 2- 16" x 2" sections for a total of 32". I have a 20' x 5" roll of mesh.
Reflux occurs in the packed section. The packing provides for an interface surface where rising hot vapors can transfer some of it’s heat to the falling condensate. This in turn, creates a reboiling of the more volatile constituents in the condensate while condensing the less volatile constituents of the rising hot vapors. The packing provides the conduction surface for this heat exchange. So, a tall column is worthless without packing. If you want a high reflux ratio, then a tall column is needed and should be filled with packing.

Again, if you’re not using a reflux condenser, then there is no need for a tall, packed column. A short riser is plenty good for pot distilling your full-flavored wash. A strip + spirit run protocol (2X distillation) is all that you need.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… Should I keep the backset from the sugar wash and add some of it to the molasses run tonight?
Backset will be acidic, as it is concentrated in the boiler during the stripping run. If you keep it to “acidify” another mash, ie - a “sour mash”, then sure, it can be useful. If you’re not planning to do that, then it may be a mess to contend with. However, some brewers do add backset from a rum wash (usually called, “dunder”) to the next wash ferment. It will change the flavors and even how the yeast ferments in successive generations. But keep in mind that the acid level will be increasing and that can actually inhibit the yeast if the pH falls too low. So, use backset/dunder cautiously. Usually, the amount of backset needed in subsequent generations is reduced for this reason.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… Should I just toss the trub from the sugar and molasses wash or use it for something else?
I don’t try to save trub from any of my ferments. The only time it is useful is if you’re making “generational ferments” like in the UJSSM process. Rums too sometimes are generational. It creates a cascading effect on the flavor profile. It is not the way I brew, but there are many members here who do. So, I can’t give advice as to how to “recycle” the dregs. Sorry.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:31 am… I plan to add the AG beer to the spirit run as Mars suggested.
This would make it a “1-1/2” run, or a 1.5 distillation because the beer when added to the low wines is only distilled once, while the low wines portion will have undergone 2 distillations. Using a thumper filled with a portion of the wash when running the spirit run (of low wines) will do the same thing.

I do 1.5 runs when I don’t have enough wash to do 2 full strips, but it won’t all fit into the boiler for a single strip. The advantage is that you’ll get more flavor with an elevated %ABV offstill compared to a “one & done” run.
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

954AAF3E-3EE8-499E-9CF3-6FDA22355988.jpeg

Jon, why do you have that hose on your condenser outlet? I would advise eliminating it.
ss
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Thank you for the detailed reply!
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:21 am 954AAF3E-3EE8-499E-9CF3-6FDA22355988.jpeg

Jon, why do you have that hose on your condenser outlet? I would advise eliminating it.
ss
Yes it is a chunk of silicone hose to help direct the flow into the jar, what is wrong with this?
So there is not much point in using packing unless I am using the dephlegmator at the same time then eh?
My still is all SS so I understand I should have some copper in there for the spirit run anyways, though it sounds like it will not have anything to do with reflux without a reflux device in use.
When you say "copper boiling chips" would just some cleaned copper pipe fittings or pipe chunks suffice? How much? Mars mentioned this as well...
Very interesting stuff, thanks!
Cheers,
Jon
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:47 am
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:21 am Jon, why do you have that hose on your condenser outlet? I would advise eliminating it.
ss
Yes it is a chunk of silicone hose to help direct the flow into the jar, what is wrong with this?
Read the RULES.

JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:47 am So there is not much point in using packing unless I am using the dephlegmator at the same time then eh?
Rhetorical question.
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:47 am My still is all SS so I understand I should have some copper in there for the spirit run anyways, though it sounds like it will not have anything to do with reflux without a reflux device in use.

When you say "copper boiling chips" would just some cleaned copper pipe fittings or pipe chunks suffice? How much? Mars mentioned this as well...
Exactly. How much —> enough. A handfull or two. Maybe a layer of chips covering the boiler floor. Figure it out by experimentation.
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Read the RULES.
Got it.
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

The run tonight went better, I cranked it till it just started to drip then turned it down quite a bit. There was no overloading and steam this time. Likely due to it being less strong too.
I think the condenser is too small for this burner, I think it was designed for the 4500W heater I got with it, not a burner. That may be my first upgrade, an improved condenser to run the stripping faster.
I guess the molasses wash wasnt as potent as the sugar wash as this run started out at about 55% then declined fairly fast from there. I got a a bit more distillate but at a significantly lower ABV. It was rummy smelling and tasting!
I took it down to about 8%.
So I have about 3.5 gallons of these low wines plus about a gallon or so of the brown ale for the spirit run tomorrow. My plan is to hose out the boiler and then pour everything in and add water till its about 40% then start the run, sound good?
I am wondering if I should add some of the dunder to the run tomorrow. Its cooling in the boiler now...
Cheers,
Jon
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:10 pm… I am wondering if I should add some of the dunder to the run tomorrow. Its cooling in the boiler now...
Why in the world would you do that? You spent a lot of time and energy pulling the low wines from the wash, leaving the backset behind. It would be crazy to just pour it back into the spirit run.

Now, if you want to save some of the backset/dunder for the next ferment, then by all means do. It will help to lower the pH and add some flavor to the next generation.

Add wash to low wines for a spirit run to boost flavor. But understand that adding a brown ale to rum low wines will change the flavor of the product. Also, be forewarned that rum often benefits from a long aging period, because of the complexity of the flavors within.

Good luck.
ss
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:39 pm
JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:10 pm… I am wondering if I should add some of the dunder to the run tomorrow. Its cooling in the boiler now...
Why in the world would you do that? You spent a lot of time and energy pulling the low wines from the wash, leaving the backset behind. It would be crazy to just pour it back into the spirit run.

Good luck.
ss
Well I am crazy, just ask my wife!
I figured you could add some dunder to add some flavour to the spirit run. I thought I had read that somewhere but who knows eh? I have done too much reading and need to just start running the still to get a better grasp of what I am doing. I am having a great time either way.
In any event I did add a splash of dunder and the beer to the low wines. Once I combined and poured in the 3.5 gallons of low wines I had 40%ABV in the kettle then I just added the beer and a splash of dunder to that and started the run.
I ran it very slow as suggested by Mars and I think I made something good here!
I am going away for the weekend so will try my hand at cuts next week.
Have a good weekend everyone!
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

20220726_160526.jpg
Well the cuts were interesting. I was very conservative and wound up with only 3L of 60%.
Some of the heads and tails was so foul smelling I could not bring myself to even attempt a taste lol
Doh! I ran out of propane half way through which screwed up a couple of 500ml jars of hearts, they were cloudy with white stuff floating on top so I just tossed them in the feints jar.
I should still use these feints in the next rum run though, right?
Perhaps the beer or dunder was not the right choice in the spirit run... Oh well onward and upward eh, the 3L is pretty damn good regardless.
I put some on some different oak chips for fun.
Thanks for all the advice boys!
Cheers,
Jon
warx
Novice

Post by warx »

I've just finished fermenting a strong Fullers ESB clone (6.3%, not too hopped) and am going to try distilling half the batch (3gal) and cask condition the rest. I don't know if I should condition all of the beer and then distill it. Wondering if the secondary conditioning will in any way affect the spirit? I have a basic AlcoEngine pot still for my Anvil Foundry 10.5 and I am looking for eau-de-vie-de-beire. This is my first run of anything so I have no low wine, feints etc.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

JHeron wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:47 am 20220726_160526.jpgWell the cuts were interesting. I was very conservative and wound up with only 3L of 60%.
Some of the heads and tails was so foul smelling I could not bring myself to even attempt a taste lol
Doh! I ran out of propane half way through which screwed up a couple of 500ml jars of hearts, they were cloudy with white stuff floating on top so I just tossed them in the feints jar.
I should still use these feints in the next rum run though, right?
Perhaps the beer or dunder was not the right choice in the spirit run... Oh well onward and upward eh, the 3L is pretty damn good regardless.
I put some on some different oak chips for fun.
Thanks for all the advice boys!
Cheers,
Jon
Great attitude, keep it up.

I see no problem using dunder if you need to dilute your low wines for the spirit run, should bring over more flavor than water. Obviously you don't want to add all of it back, but getting your ABV down below 40% before spiriting is a necessary safety measure. It is probably better just to strip down to 25-30% though, then collect enough strips to make a spirit run. You can also use fresh wash to do the same thing (often reffered to as a 1.5 run).

You can recycle your feints into your next spirit run, lots of distillers (myself included) work this way. You can also save all your feints until you have enough to run an all feints spirit run.

Its normal (especially when first starting out) to have what seems like a really low yield. As long as you like the drink you are making you can just redistill the rest, gives good practice. Chances are good with the excitement of the hobby you are going to have more than you can drink anyway.

Might be time to make a little controller for that 4500w element and start stilling that way, propane has lots of pain points and you are finding them quickly.
:)