Would this improve my vodka

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

guest5234
Novice

Would this improve my vodka

Post by guest5234 »

Simple sugar wash, strip run on pot still, then spirit run on pot still, do cuts, keep the hearts, then hearts through t500 column keeping all except first fore shots…..cheers
bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Would this improve my vodka

Post by bcook608 »

Why not do all of the runs in the t500? You want to strip as much flavor and contaminants as possible. Dilute thoroughly between runs and you should end up with a pretty clean product. If this were a flavored spirit, I'd recommend the other way around.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

bcook608 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 am Why not do all of the runs in the t500? You want to strip as much flavor and contaminants as possible. Dilute thoroughly between runs and you should end up with a pretty clean product. If this were a flavored spirit, I'd recommend the other way around.
Cheers So run 2x 5 gallon washes through t500 as my boiler only holds 6 gallons, then dilute to 40% and do a final run through t500 making cuts?
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I'll let the guys that run vodkas confirm how they would do it, but if you have a still capable of reflux, you're definitely better off using that for all of the runs to get the cleanest product. Also, you might want to dilute down to below 40 and do more than 2 runs.

Alternatively you could do the initial strip with your pot if space is better. then do the remaining runs on your 500
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Thanks, what I do know is 3 x 5 gallon strips on pot still so I can do a bigger run on t500 column, then make cuts, would I get a better product if I do an additional run on t500 column with just the hearts?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

guest5234 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:03 am Thanks, what I do know is 3 x 5 gallon strips on pot still so I can do a bigger run on t500 column, then make cuts, would I get a better product if I do an additional run on t500 column with just the hearts?
The T500 will give you a good neutral spirit … provided you make good cuts from the product collection.

As you’d planned, stripping the wash using the potstill will help clean the low wines for you and reduce some of the water. It would be quicker to the spirit run compared to stripping with the T500’s reflux head.

The “keynote” here is really how well you make the cuts on the spirit run. Collect into 15 or 20 jars so you can use your senses to make the proper blend when you’re done. It should give you a jug of good liquor.

Some hobbiests like to filter their neutral product through activated carbon, but I’ve never found the need if all of the other processes are done correctly, ie - recipe, fermentation, stripping, spirit run, and cuts. When you do it right, the product is right.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

+1 to what Stil_stirrin said.

something like wineos would make a great bas for the t500 to run adn produce a very neutral product it was developed to make a vodka with a pot so even cleaner with reflux.

Cuts are key with neutral to me. Since I upgraded to SPP and a 3" boka can do it at 3.2 LPH and make crazy clean neutral straight form a 10% wash in 1 go.

B
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

I’ve only been distilling for 2 1/2 years but I’ve found with T500 that stripping and doing the spirit run with the column produces a cleaner neutral than using the pot head for the strip?
I’ve found Wineos as the best wash for a clean neutral.
There are more experienced people on here that might not agree but that’s what I’ve found with the T500?
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Also agree with previous statements about using one of the Tried and True recipes and you won’t need any type of filtering as the quality of the wash is the 1st key to a clean product
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

guest5234 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:14 am keeping all except first fore shots…..cheers
Keeping all bar foreshots is a sure fire way to make really crap booze......yes I know thats what the T500 instructions tell you to do .....or at least used to ......disregard the instructions and learn to make proper cuts.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:42 am
guest5234 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:03 am Thanks, what I do know is 3 x 5 gallon strips on pot still so I can do a bigger run on t500 column, then make cuts, would I get a better product if I do an additional run on t500 column with just the hearts?
The T500 will give you a good neutral spirit … provided you make good cuts from the product collection.

As you’d planned, stripping the wash using the potstill will help clean the low wines for you and reduce some of the water. It would be quicker to the spirit run compared to stripping with the T500’s reflux head.

The “keynote” here is really how well you make the cuts on the spirit run. Collect into 15 or 20 jars so you can use your senses to make the proper blend when you’re done. It should give you a jug of good liquor.

Some hobbiests like to filter their neutral product through activated carbon, but I’ve never found the need if all of the other processes are done correctly, ie - recipe, fermentation, stripping, spirit run, and cuts. When you do it right, the product is right.
ss
So when I have made the cuts and have pure hearts is it worth running just the hearts through the t500? would that give me a better product or is it not worth it.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:34 pm
guest5234 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:14 am keeping all except first fore shots…..cheers
Keeping all bar foreshots is a sure fire way to make really crap booze......yes I know thats what the T500 instructions tell you to do .....or at least used to ......disregard the instructions and learn to make proper cuts.
I am talking about a final run through the t500 column with just pure hearts after I have made my cuts
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Running something through a still 10 times wont improve it unless you make cuts each time.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

guest5234 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:19 am
I am talking about a final run through the t500 column with just pure hearts after I have made my cuts
Keep doing what you are doing if you are happy .

One day you will understand what has been said to you here . Ah Ha moments happen . …. Sometimes
It takes a while .

No offence or innuendoes intended ….just relating my experience in the hobby . Somethings take a while to sink in .
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 am
guest5234 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:19 am
Keep doing what you are doing if you are happy .

One day you will understand what has been said to you here . Ah Ha moments happen . …. Sometimes
It takes a while .

No offence or innuendoes intended ….just relating my experience in the hobby . Somethings take a while to sink in .
With respect you have not said anything to me that I do not already know, read my posts and you might just see what I am asking, I asked if it was worth putting THE HEARTS through a final run on the T500 to see if I would get an either better product as I have never tried it before. p,s I work at a brewery so mashing and temp control is second nature to me. I make good whiskies but making a vodka for a change, I have always made good cuts so do not need to be told about cuts.
Last edited by guest5234 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:22 am Running something through a still 10 times wont improve it unless you make cuts each time.
??? I asked if it was worth running PURE HEARTS through the T500 one last time AFTER you have made your cuts and have just PURE HEARTS left, nothing about running it sevaral times without making cuts, read through the posts again.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:42 am

ss
Thanks Sir, great advice, i have had 2 reply's which have not understood what I am asking, one final question, I have my hearts after making as I said good cuts, Is there any advantage in running those hearts through the T500 one final time to make and even better end product
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

This is what I posted, think you just looked at last bit.
Simple sugar wash, strip run on pot still, then spirit run on pot still, do cuts, keep the hearts, then hearts through t500 column keeping all except first fore shots…..cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No .....if you want it clean you still have to make all cuts.....fores heads Hearts tails.......pot stills smear the fractions.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:21 am No .....if you want it clean you still have to make all cuts.....fores heads Hearts tails.......pot stills smear the fractions.
I am making cuts, what actual post have i mentioned not making cuts. I posted initially that I am doing 3 x 5 gallon wash strip runs on pot still discarding the foreshots, then running a spirit run on t500 making good cuts, and just keeping the hearts. My question was which I think has been misunderstood, is it worth putting the hearts I have collected through the t500 one final time and would it improve the product.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

If as you say, you are doing your hearts cuts correctly you shouldn’t need to put them through again? They should be clean as is?
If your post still is also the T500 I reckon strip with your column.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Archee72 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:16 pm If as you say, you are doing your hearts cuts correctly you shouldn’t need to put them through again? They should be clean as is?
Cheers, the only reason I strip in the pot still is I can strip 2 x 5 gallon washes quicker than stripping 2x 5 gallon in the t500 column
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No need to strip with your T500......use the pot still......do the spirit run with the T500.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

guest5234 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:17 pm
Archee72 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:16 pm If as you say, you are doing your hearts cuts correctly you shouldn’t need to put them through again? They should be clean as is?
Cheers, the only reason I strip in the pot still is I can strip 2 x 5 gallon washes quicker than stripping 2x 5 gallon in the t500 column
Yep it is quicker. But if you want quality…
If your pot still is not an alembic head atop your T500 boiler then strip away. But in my limited experience the quality of the neutral is better when stripping with the column when all you have is a T500.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It is not a good idea to use a T500 for stripping...you might damage it.......I know this from experience..... even if you were to use it rather than the pot still there is little advantage in doing so.
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:26 pm No need to strip with your T500......use the pot still......do the spirit run with the T500.
that's what i have always done
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If you are able to isolate objectionable foreshots on the second spirit run - and also any heads/tails that may have been left in after 1st spirit run then yes it would be cleaner because you would then be able to capture those in refluxed fractions. If it's as you describe and pure 100% hearts then you shouldn't be able to concentrate any further foreshots, heads, hearts, tails into separate fractions... Give it a try and see how good your cuts are in that first spirit run..

It won't hurt and collecting a second refluxed spirit run may lead you to make tighter cuts 1st spirit run pass - or not?

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:42 pm It is not a good idea to use a T500 for stripping...you might damage it.......I know this from experience..... even if you were to use it rather than the pot still there is little advantage in doing so.
How did you damage it?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

guest5234 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:35 am My question was which I think has been misunderstood, is it worth putting the hearts I have collected through the t500 one final time and would it improve the product.
Yes there will some improvement by running diluted hearts a third time, but also at some lost of overall amount.. diluting will always improve the end product but at some lost, and cuts still need to be made..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Archee72 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:50 pm How did you damage it?
Because to strip with a T500 reflux you need to run almost no water or no water at all ,the black plastic top part then seems to gets extra hot and warps/ distorts in some way.......it can then leak ethanol vapor into you surrounds.
At least thats what happened when I tried it , and Ive heard of it happening to others.