New to the site. Amazon 5 gallon kit...

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tireman406
Novice

New to the site. Amazon 5 gallon kit...

Post by Tireman406 »

Ok first off I know I need to make an upgraded condenser. Already have the plans in my head. Made a sugar shit turbo run and got good abv but terrible taste... I'm trying to make personal and friend batches. I have many neighbors and coworkers who will assist and pitch in on each run. Also have dady yeast on hand and nutrients. Just not sure how to prep and make ferment runs. I also have 2, 5 gallon fermenter buckets to try and make the best product I/we can.
Saltpork
Novice

Re: New to the site. Amazon 5 gallon kit...

Post by Saltpork »

Welcome. Good luck. It sounds like you have a lot of reading to do and too many people know what you're up to. Keep your head down, don't tell or sell
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance -- Thomas Sowell
Rest in peace R.L.K. & R.H.L., my biggest influences and men I miss dearly
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Tireman.
Saltpork wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:58 am and too many people know what you're up to. Keep your head down, don't tell or sell
Some damn fine advice there , was my first thought as well.
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

+1 to Saltpork’s comments.
Hit the Beginners Guide section of the site and read until your eyes want to fall out. There’s great advice there on all the techniques you’ll need to safely make a quality product.
After that, head over to the tried and true section that will point you in the right direction to make just about anything you could ever want.
Cheers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD Tireman and good luck!

+1 on what everyone else mentioned. Research and reading are your friends.

Don’t sell, don’t tell. Once you tell it’s hard to un-tell but it’s not hard for someone to tell someone else.

There’s a few well documented tried and true sugar based ferments in the t&t recipe section. Ujssm is a favorite of many for pot stillin a good drop.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Maybe you should pass this still onto your “circle of friends “ stay low for a while and then do your own thing when they have mived on .

It can be exciting to tell everyone at first , but you will soon end uo with a bunch of free loaders that suck you dry .