Struggling not with distilling but with this website.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

SaddleSteve
Novice

Struggling not with distilling but with this website.

Post by SaddleSteve »

Hi All!

A little About Me: I am Retired from being the inventor of the surf leash and sensual saddle, a Software QA manager at Apple Computer for five years, an Enterprise website developer coding in PHP, a Pleasure boat delivery captain moving people's 40-50 foot sailboats around the Pacific and Many More trades and skills.

I'm already through with my first run of UJSSM and figured that I'd come here and learn some more "Tricks of the Trade"

That's when the troubles began! You see I've always believed that because of my SQA stint at Apple that I will Forever be cursed to Find Every Bug and Broken Link on Every website I visit and this forum has been no exception.

I read and followed all the stickies and finally made it to the "New distiller reading Lounge A MUST READ FORUM" and started reading as Instructed "until my eyes bled" and Not from the content but from All the Links to NoWhere! Hey...there is a link on how to use and read a hydrometer. Click..."404 Page not found". How about how to use and read a alcoholometer. Click..."404 Page not found".
Over 50 links to nowhere until I gave up.

Note to Site administrators and forum moderators: If you are going to Insist all us newbies read this stuff then Make Sure the posts are working properly with No Bad Links. It is Really Frustrating and Not Necessary to put us through this because there are Tools you can run to easily find them so 'Somebody' can fix them!

Now off to set up the pot for the next stripping run. At Least it is 'still' being nice to me :shock:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Struggling not with distilling but with this website.

Post by StillerBoy »

I would recommend that you get in touch with Uncle Jesse, he's the site own/manager..

memberlist.php?mode=team

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Welcome, Steve.
You've found an amazing place with no advertising, no costs, and the most info in one location(sometimes hard to find, but whatever, it's freely given).
Here's a link that may help: app.php/donate
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Try typing a phrase into the Google Search in the light blue bar.

If you really want to know what was in deleted links on an aging website, try https://archive.org/
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear you’ve found trouble. I’ve had a few links come up empty but they’re usually pretty old.
Here’s a quick link found regarding hydrometers

And here’s another regarding proof and tralle hydrometers in general. It may be helpful.
If a link isn’t working try not to get frustrated. Think of it as a compass to help guide you to the information you’re looking for.
Prosit!
See you down the rabbit hole
Last edited by Stonecutter on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I read and followed all the stickies and finally made it to the "New distiller reading Lounge A MUST READ FORUM" and started reading as Instructed "until my eyes bled" and Not from the content but from All the Links to NoWhere! Hey...there is a link on how to use and read a hydrometer. Click..."404 Page not found". How about how to use and read a alcoholometer. Click..."404 Page not found".
You made some claims so I went to the New Distiller Reading Lounge like you mentioned. There's 2 pages of topics and not one has a title with the word "hydrometer" in it. None have the word "alcoholmeter" either. That begs the question ... what broken link/links are you referring to? What page in which topic? Do you have a link to any page with broken links? Were those links to URLs from other sites or are they within the Home Distiller Forum? Can you provide any examples of what you re complaining about? I've never run into a problem with broken links that I can recall.

Note to Site administrators and forum moderators: If you are going to Insist all us newbies read this stuff then Make Sure the posts are working properly with No Bad Links. It is Really Frustrating and Not Necessary to put us through this because there are Tools you can run to easily find them so 'Somebody' can fix them!
You are "somebody". You can report a broken link if that link is supposed to direct you to a Home Distiller Forum URL.

My favorite way to search this site is to type this into the URL bar followed by your search query. You'll get more results than you'll want to read. Below is an example.
site:homedistiller.org how to use a hydrometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Like Salt, I hunted for said broken links.....I didn't find them......posting them up would be very helpful.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You ran into a wall and gave up? Don’t do it like that. Deep breath - Zen… Pray to the spirit gods and give them a sacrificial offering. It just might lead somewhere.

Did you learn php by holding someone’s hand or did you dig deep and own it?

There’s always the option of paying someone to spoon-feed you if that’s what you’re looking for.

Some good suggestions on using the HD Google search features here - which work on all forum systems btw.

Best luck!
-jonny

Ps: don’t give up on the UJ. It starts to bloom around 5th or 6th gen.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:57 pm Some good suggestions on using the HD Google search features here - which work on all forum systems btw.
Welcome to the forum . If you are wondering what we mean when we refer ti the google search , it is a special feature that Uncle Jesse added to the forum because the normal one that comes with the forum is shite .

It’s the magnifying glass icon on the task bar
85F94445-67EE-4646-AFF5-85588A125519.jpeg
Regarding broken links , yes it would be helpful if you could tell us which and where , but I suspect you may have found some links to our old Parent site which is now gone .

It was the predecessor to the forum and had a lot if good info that was often linked to .
Alas it also had a lot of outdated or simply wrong info , so instead of rewriting it , it was decided to scrap it and replace it with the Wiki ( which is also referred to as the Parent site)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It helps if members find a error that they report it so an administrator can try and fix it. This is a large forums with many threads and every once in while something happens and if it is not reported it doesn’t get fixed or at least not in a timely fashion.
SaddleSteve
Novice

Post by SaddleSteve »

Wow...my thanks to everyone offering feedback concerning "workarounds".

Fortunately I'm not a workaround kinda guy. A workaround only works for me and who ever else could figure it out and doesn't help Everyone else.
I'm an "If its broken then Getter Fixed" kinda guy so here's why it Broke:

In my introduction I forgot to say I did a stint as a system administrator too...and almost Every system administrator makes this Same mistake as did I...but usually Only Once :shock:

Someone in their infinite wisdom decided to reorganize the directories on the server and move the "wiki" from it's own subdomain at wiki.homedistillers.org/... to a subfolder under homedistillers.org/wiki/...

I would have done the Same Thing! Problem is they forgot to finish the job which would have been to find and replace all instances of Every link beginning with wiki.homedistillers.org/ with homedistillers.org/wiki/

To the Old Salts: "You are "somebody". You can report a broken link if that link is supposed to direct you to a Home Distiller Forum URL."

OK...for Everyone who thinks I should report these I'm not willing to do it "one at a time". I'm retired and would rather spend my time learning about distilling and making Stuff instead of reporting broken links :esurprised:

...so here you go. Run this search to find all those broken links. Here are the First 10 pages of them at least. Google Limits the results of an advanced search to only 10 pages. There are Many More!

Google Advanced Search:

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_ ... type=&tbs=

sorry the url was so long it broke the [url] BBCode :esurprised:

A sys admin can write a script to do the find/replace automatically (but they should test the script first) :oops:

If they would be willing to hear some of my suggestions on how to keep from screwing this up (there is a process for doing it right ;-)...they know how to contact me.
Last edited by SaddleSteve on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Eish dude. Play nice.
Broken link? copy paste and mail to uncle jessie
Be part of the solution, not the problem.
Been a programmer for almost 40 years. In real code like assembler, c, c++, etc. Shit happens.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, saddle, old boy, there’s something you missed. I’m damned sure you know what you’re doing and could probably fix it all in a snap. But you didn’t volunteer your expertise. You also fail to realize this ain’t a commercial site with a horde of techies assigned, it’s a private mashup run for free by a guy that has lots of other things to do, aided by several kind hearted folks that also have real jobs.
Enjoy the forum. Learn as much as you can and feel free to contribute both money and expertise as situations allow. It really is worth it.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
SaddleSteve
Novice

Post by SaddleSteve »

@Yonder
"I’m damned sure you know what you’re doing and could probably fix it all in a snap."

I don't have the Sys admin priviledges required to fix this...otherwise I would do it myself...with permission of course.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

EricTheRed wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:05 pm
Be part of the solution, not the problem.
+1
On a side note, this is the Welcome section of the forum.
SaddleSteve, if you want to ask questions or make comments, put it in the proper section of the forum.
SaddleSteve
Novice

Post by SaddleSteve »

@Salts
I found it by reading...not searching.

HomeDistiller Mini-FAQ

Q12. What is a hydrometer / alcoholometer and when / how are they used?

"The hydrometer is a tool that measures specific gravity...A very detailed usage instruction can be found in the wiki at: http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Hydrometer"

"The alcoholometer is a tool...Also see http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Alcoholometer"
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

SaddleSteve wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:06 pm Hi All!

A little About Me: I am Retired from being the inventor of the surf leash and sensual saddle, a Software QA manager at Apple Computer for five years, an Enterprise website developer coding in PHP, a Pleasure boat delivery captain moving people's 40-50 foot sailboats around the Pacific and Many More trades and skills.

I'm already through with my first run of UJSSM and figured that I'd come here and learn some more "Tricks of the Trade"

That's when the troubles began! You see I've always believed that because of my SQA stint at Apple that I will Forever be cursed to Find Every Bug and Broken Link on Every website I visit and this forum has been no exception.

Now off to set up the pot for the next stripping run. At Least it is 'still' being nice to me :shock:
Try hitting shift-reload on the page
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

OK I see what's up. This issue probably goes back to when I removed the old site home page and replaced it with the wiki. So yes, years ago it was homedistiller.org/wiki but not any more. I suppose I could replace every broken link or I can probably get away with making the vhost homedistiller.org/wiki point to the wiki folder. I'll have to give this some thought when I'm not working.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I have done a global search and replace on wiki.homedistiller.org and changed all 351 posts which contained it to be homedistiller.org/wiki

This may or may not fix all the entries. It's possible some pre-date the rebuilding of the wiki which would mean the links point to pages which don't exist in the newer version of the wiki.

Also, it even changed the entries in this post which will make for some confusing reading for anyone who goes through it.