Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

WedgeandEdge
Novice

Hello

Post by WedgeandEdge »

Hi, I’m new to the site. I’ve been enjoying exploring commercially made whiskey/bourbons for the last 5 years or so, but I am just getting started on the DIY side of things. I’m a handy guy with a good mechanical background so the equipment side of things makes sense to me, but chemistry is not my thing so even after touring several distilleries this seems awful close to sorcery. My father in law gave me a Vevor still (8 or 9 gal pot with a thumper keg) for my birthday and is super excited for me to get something cooking. To be honest, I always had the position that there was plenty of good stuff available that I’d rather buy it than make my own mediocre product, but now that I’ve got the still I’m committed to at least making several attempts to get something good. I’ve been researching a lot since then and collecting supplies to get ready for my first run. I’ve read a lot of the info for newbies here-wow, is this a lot more complex than I ever expected. There’s so much knowledge here that’s been helpful already, and I’m often finding myself reading threads a decade or more old. That’s enough for now, I’ll do another post soon with my plans for my first run.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Hello

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome aboard, WedgeandEdge.

The rabbit hole goes deep, to be sure. Always practice safety and patience.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hello

Post by Demy »

Welcome!