Hello from Boston

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

spurgeon
Novice

Hello from Boston

Post by spurgeon »

Hey there, been lurking for too long on this site and thought it'd be better to contribute.
I've made plenty of homebrew, craft beer, and some questionable wine, but during the pandemic I have become more interested in spirits.

I don't have much distilling experience and have for years avoided it...Too many years ago, in the woods in Florida (in an area that's now a national park), I helped some self-described redneck buddies build a questionable still and we made some very very harsh rice/potato/honey/sugar moonshine. Sometime later after I moved away to Boston, I heard it had all but caught fire and exploded (no injuries!).

So, here I am with a new-found love of clear spirits like gin and neutral-based drinks like amaros!
And some "PTSD"!
I finally have the time and little bit of cash to get a still running and hopefully make some Xmas gifts.

Thanks in advance for answers to my noob questions.

--
spurgeon
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by TwoSheds »

Welcome aboard! I'm in Southern NH, so your neck of the woods.

Lots of good advice here around neutrals and gins. It'll take some extra parts and pieces to make but at least you won't have to wait years for it to be finished.

TwoSheds
spurgeon
Novice

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by spurgeon »

I figured there might be one or two here from New England...Thanks!