No corn mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BigJ
Novice

No corn mash

Post by BigJ »

I’ve done a couple 40 gallon honey bear bourbon the last 2 years using the pour over method using some high temp AA and DADY yeast. Everything was good. The addition of a false bottom to my barrel was a game changer too. I don’t have my note with me but my last two ferment was a mess. The recipe was 40% crush barley, 35%two row, 15% crush oat and 10% wheat. 2.5pounds/g
I’ve scale down to make a 10g and pitch 1 pack of kveik Voss yeats. This ‘starter’ was ferment off the grain and it take 2 days to ferment dry. The third day I’ve make the same recipe but to 35gallon and the next day I’ve pitch the cake of the first batch. Sg at 1.070 and 3 days later it stuck at 1.04 it was tasting really acidic and not sweet at all and smell shit/vomit and realized I forgot to throw oyster shell. It go down the drain and I’ve ordered 5 Voss pack from Amazon and redo the same recipe without the starter. 35gallon/4 yeast pack sg of 1.070 and I don’t forgot the oyster shell. The same shit happen again. I doesn’t have a ph meter because until now everything was fine. Don’t know if I was lucky or what but I’m wondering what can cause a ph crash like this. Btw my ferment was at 95f all the time and yeast tolerance is 105f. Is it a lack of nutrient and a wild yeast take over ? Thanks for your help