New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Barefoot Bob
Novice

Post by Barefoot Bob »

I bought my redneck brother a still for Christmas and found in talking with him that this is highly contagious. I put together a 7.75 gal electric still for myself with a little help from YouTube (thanks George & Cyrus). Ran it a few times and added some bling, now working on 6th generation UJSSM and about to do my first spirit run with what I hope is worthy hooch (stripping runs from gens 3-5). Not a clue how to taste and smell my way through the cuts so I'll just fill a bunch of little jars and pretend my way through it. Even less clue how to age the hopefully passable hooch into a good sipper! 1st all corn batch (with enzymes) will start this week. Not sure who's the redneck brother anymore!

I Wanted to say hello and thanks for this great resource and community - I'm looking forward to learning how to do a little of what I read about here.

BB
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: New member

Post by Demy »

Welcome from me!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Welcome and good to have you here. Just fyi George is entertaining, but so is the show “moonshiners”. I treat the content of both with the same level of belief. It’s pure entertainment designed to sell something or get “views”. My point simply being that much of George’s information presented as fact (especially when he goes to the white board) should be taken with a grain of salt and verified!

D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Barefoot Bob wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:20 pm I bought my redneck brother a still for Christmas and found in talking with him that this is highly contagious. I put together a 7.75 gal electric still for myself with a little help from YouTube (thanks George & Cyrus). Ran it a few times and added some bling, now working on 6th generation UJSSM and about to do my first spirit run with what I hope is worthy hooch (stripping runs from gens 3-5). Not a clue how to taste and smell my way through the cuts so I'll just fill a bunch of little jars and pretend my way through it. Even less clue how to age the hopefully passable hooch into a good sipper! 1st all corn batch (with enzymes) will start this week. Not sure who's the redneck brother anymore!

I Wanted to say hello and thanks for this great resource and community - I'm looking forward to learning how to do a little of what I read about here.

BB

And welcome!
You're getting your first taste of the George hate. Enjoy that rabbit hole
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

BTW, don't expect to repeat the same OG as booners casual, that dude is a master and we still haven't figured out how to get those numbers after 5 years. We do well, but not that well. It's such a great recipe and please, follow the recipes to a T until you master them. These cranky old guys know their stuff, and they are usually right. I learned the hard way
CaptainIrish
Novice

Post by CaptainIrish »

Hey Barefoot Bob, how did the spirit run turn out with the first few runs of the UJSSM? I'm running my third gen today, but will have enough for a spirit run. I thought some of the jars from gen 2 were actually pretty good!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome Aboard, It's a fun path to follow, Sometimes discouraging, Enjoy the Journey...

ODNT
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome to the club 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.