CCVM reflux coil questions

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: CCVM reflux coil questions

Post by Skipper1953 »

I wound the coil pictured below in the dead of winter. I believe the outdoor temp was right around -20°F. I filled the copper tubing with water and set it in my garage to freeze. I did not crimp the ends until after the water had frozen and I was ready to wind the coil. As the water froze and expanded, it pushed an icicle out each end of the tubing.
I realize that not everyone wants to wait until winter time to wind a condenser coil. It just happened to be early February when I decided to make mine.
Cond_coil_DSCF1751.JPG
Cond_coil_DSCF1750.JPG
Cond_coil_DSCF1752.JPG
I've heard that salt works, too. :lol:
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

For the sake of not cluttering up the forum I've got a question that I want to ask. I'm in the process of doing the reflex coil for my CCVM. I already have the column made it's 2 sections of 2" copper 20" long. I need to do a cleaning run with the copper and the coil. Would it be OK to Shut everything down after a spirit run on my pot still and put the ccvm on top? I usually stop my spirit runs somewhere around a 100 proof or so. Depending on what I'm running. So in theory I could do a cleaning run with the leftover alcohol that's left in the pot. I may be totally wrong about this and it may need some higher proof spirits run through it let me know if I'm wrong.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

While there still may be some alcohol left in the Pot , the solvents such as Acetone that are found in the first part of the run won't be there . Just the tails , which are not going to do much in the way of dissolving anything that needs to be .

If you have a batch of old fore shots and heads , it will be of more use .
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I kind of thought that well bird watchers is cheap anyway so I just do a small run of that. Thanks for the input. Thinking about it again I have got a bunch of 4 shots that I've saved for general purpose cleaning. Could I add that back into the pot and then just run it.? I've got maybe close to a gallon. Either way it's fine I was just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Fore shots would definitely work. Just remember to water them down.