I’m having trouble getting full starch conversion

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I’m having trouble getting full starch conversion

Post by Steve Broady »

Why do you prefer to use different tools for the two measurements? The refractometer for the SG makes perfect sense to me. One more toy for me to buy…. But why not use it for the FG as well? Wouldn’t that help ensure that any inaccuracies are cancelled out and give you a better comparative reading?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:10 pm… But why not use it for the FG as well? Wouldn’t that help ensure that any inaccuracies are cancelled out and give you a better comparative reading?
Refractometers measure sugar content, not gravity or alcohol. The sugar solution “bends” light (refraction) and that shows in the viewer. So, once fermentation has started, the refractometer will not read accurately.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

You can use a refractometer for taking SG measurements after fermentation has started.
But, math is needed to correct for the alcohol being present.

Posting with SS
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:10 pm Why do you prefer to use different tools for the two measurements?
You can absolutely do all of it with a water top, refractometer is nice because you can use just a few drops of liquid. So it cools to room temp nearly instantly and you can track in pretty much real time for the entire mash, and you don't have to clear out any volume of liquid to work with.

Triage what you are buying. What is going to give you the best results, or reduce effort the most. Start there. Refractometer is nice, but I would rather have a good thermometer (the digital ones with a lead on them are really nice for the mash tun, cuz you can slip it under the lid and don't need to pop your cooler seal to check temps), or enzymes, or a more stable mash tun, pump for moving fluids more effectively, corona mill to allow you to buy bulk grain would be way more important, and about the same price.

Refractometer is probably "advanced equipment" in that you can do totally without it. My favorite thing about the refractometer is if I drop it, or bump it, it usually survives, I just verify calibration with distilled water. I have a habit of shattering hydrometers in the brewing area... but I am clumsy.
:)
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

A good digital thermometer works for me especially the ones with the corded probe, much easier on my old man eyes and I can leave the probe in my cooler.
I use a hydrometer for my gravity, basically because that's what I've got. I check the stages of conversion by eye (does it look thinner) feel (is the mixer on my drill taking less energy to start, it's mounted so it stirs in my cooler through the lid) and taste.
Once I've finished I'll take a reading, I honestly found that when I started I was checking temp, pH and gravity as well as performing iodine tests every step and half way through each step. I found this started to make me chase my tail as I would see a reading that was fractionally off and then try to correct that and so on and so on........
I'm lucky with my water and pH hasn't been an issue for me.
If I could suggest one thing Steve, is to get your temps right on the mark. Good luck
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Ben wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:06 am
...Refractometer is nice, but I would rather have a good thermometer
I agree with that.
Mash temp is the most important measurement and don't forget to stir the pot. :ewink:
The OG is easy to figure out based on Lb/gallon.
It is nice to know the final gravity, so I can see how well the mashing and fermenting went.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Sporacle wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 am
I honestly found that when I started I was checking temp, pH and gravity as well as performing iodine tests every step and half way through each step. I found this started to make me chase my tail as I would see a reading that was fractionally off and then try to correct that and so on and so on........
Ya got that right. :lol:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

shadylane wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm
Ben wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:06 am
...Refractometer is nice, but I would rather have a good thermometer
I agree with that.
Mash temp is the most important measurement and don't forget to stir the pot. :ewink:
The OG is easy to figure out based on Lb/gallon.
It is nice to know the final gravity, so I can see how well the mashing and fermenting went.
I would also choose a thermometer over a refractometer or hydrometer.
Shady OG depends on conversion efficiency as well right? If I’m not mistaken, the equation can give you precision figures but you do have to factor in your estimated efficiency.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pm
Shady OG depends on conversion efficiency as well right?
Here's my thinking. :lol:
An example would be an OG of 1.060
1.060 is only the specific gravity, not a measurement of fermentability.
Total conversion efficiency is how low the final gravity drops to after fermentation is done. :ewink:
Last edited by shadylane on Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sporacle wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 am I honestly found that when I started I was checking temp, pH and gravity as well as performing iodine tests every step and half way through each step. I found this started to make me chase my tail as I would see a reading that was fractionally off and then try to correct that and so on and so on.....
K.I.S.S. is always best.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:59 am
K.I.S.S. is always best.
I hear Ya Salty. Simplicity has its advantages.
I also figure, Alpha and Gluco keeps the liquor flowing while we try to perfect simplicity. :lol:
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I just reread this entire thread, and I have to thank everyone again. It’s been an immense help, and I’m sure several of you were tempted to tell me off and send me to do more reading. Thank you for taking the time to help an ignorant noob.

I tried again tonight, and I think it finally came together. Started by milling all of my grain twice through a corona mill, to a coarse flour. In case you’re curious, this is the grain bill:
Malted corn - 2290 g
2 row malt - 788 g
120L caramel malt - 233 g
Flaked rye - 222 g
Quaker instant oats - 238 g

All of this went into a cleaned and sanitized cooler. I then heated 4.5 gallons of water to 156 F (I was shooting for 155, overshot by a degree, and I did check the probe thermometer in ice and boiling water). I started slowly adding water to the cooler, until I had a nice thick slurry that I could stir and break up dough balls easily. Watching the temperature the whole time. I finally added the rest of the water, which got it up to 149 F. It probably wasn’t needed, but I added 2 ml of SEBstar HTL (since it’s stated to work down to 50 C), 2 ml of ViscoSEB (because I screwed up and grabbed the wrong bottle, but I can’t see it hurting), and 3 ml of SEBamyl GL. Gave everything a good stir and closed the lid.

I checked on the temperature over the next few hours. It fell to 144 F in the first half hour, and then slowed down and lost another 8 degrees over the next 2.5 hours. When I opened the lid, I was stunned to see a clear, dark brown wort! I stirred it up, took a little sample, and did an iodine test. I did get a reaction with the stuff that settled out at the bottom, but only when the iodine sank down through or I stirred it up.

I’ll check the gravity in the morning. Playing with a couple on line calculators, it looks like I ought to expect somewhere between 1.050 and 1.067. If I’m even close to that, I’ll be over the moon. This is the first time I’ve seen an all grain mash look like anything other than porridge. This time it looks like all the pictures and videos I’ve seen, so hopefully that means I did something right.

I took all the advice I could get here, and threw it all at this batch. Used a cooler. Used the right thermometer and checked its accuracy, ground the grain as fine as I practically could, used all malted or flaked grain, and even added enzymes just as backup. Not the most scientific approach, perhaps, but it seems to have worked.

Thank you again, everyone. I want you to know that your time was not wasted, and that I am thankful for all of the help. Just based on what I’ve seen tonight, I am a lot less apprehensive about making a stab at a decent whiskey.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

My good results might also be due to my assistant. What he lacks in experience he makes up for in enthusiasm.
D1013242-74F3-47E6-A190-6FECF88333C7.jpeg
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:clap: Well done mate, good job. Once you have a basic technique down that works for you then it will get easier and easier.
The young fella will be handy come squeezing time :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Is it normal to have the gravity be different at different levels in a mash tun? I skimmed some wort off the top and measured the gravity at 1.023. Not great, but about right for me considering my previous experience. But after moving everything into a bucket, I put the hydrometer into that and consistently measured 1.044. After correcting for temperature, I get 1.049. I’ll take that!
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Some of these conversion problems could also be Ph induced. enzymes have Ph ranges that they work BEST at.

I use the drift down method for full grain mashes. run the mash up to 180F. You can add the Hitemp enzyme on the way up if you don't exceed it's top temp and denature it.

Then I leave it over night and low and behold early the next morning it's at approx 150F, I stir in Amylo™ 300 is an amyloglucosidase enzyme derived from a selected strain of Aspergillus niger. This works any mash including rice, bananas, and other fruit. and then walk away.

Approx 24 hours later...behold it is at 100F with a great conversion rate. Proof and drop your yeast. I use DADDY for grin and E1118 for fruit and sugar.

Crash cooling comes from beer brewing to avoid infections and requires a lot of attention to detail, not necessarily necessary for distillation ferments.

Th initial yeast drop will cause the largest Ph drop in the first 24 hours. Adjust as necessary and then go the marble rock method.

Marble rock method...hang a sieve/bag/pierced bottle of marble rocks (like from the bag of decorative rock aisle at Lowes) and the ferment will eat the marble roc at the rate required to keep the ferment at approx 4.7 Ph. The shat will self adjust by consuming the lime in the rocks. I hang two one gallon jugs of rocks in a 300 gallon ferment and it dissolves/eats the rocks,as necessary, constantly, during the ferment.

This method also helps the ferment by NOT shocking it with a harsher method adjustment every other day.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Steve Broady wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:22 pm I stirred it up, took a little sample, and did an iodine test. I did get a reaction with the stuff that settled out at the bottom, but only when the iodine sank down through or I stirred it up.

Congrats on the success.

If the iodine is changing color when it contacts solids that's normal. You want color to remain unchanged when it contacts the clear liquid. I like doing my tests on something like a white bath tile or a white porcelain bowl, that way I can see what the iodine is reacting to.

Is your mash tun well insulated? It sounds like your temp drop is a bit quicker than what you really want... old sleeping bag makes a good insulator :)
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

My mash tun is really cheap 28 liter Igloo cooler. Largest I have at the moment. I assume the temperature loss is due to the smaller size. I light try preheating it with hot water before filling next time. But it stayed in the 140s for a good hour and a half at least, which seems to have worked well enough.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

one thing i noticed.
although i use a different enzymes, they also have a large temp range (& a small PH range)
but they also have narrow optimum temp ranges.
eg my HTL would only be working at 50% if kept at 50C (optimum 83-88C) and the gluco would only be 20% at 50C (optimum 65-70C)
the optimum PH range is very narrow, different for both types of enzyme, and activity is reduced dramatically if out of range (particularly below)
might be worth checking the temp/PH charts for your enzymes.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Thanks for that, howie. I did check the temp range, and specifically that the HTL range goes down to 50C. I figured it might do a little work in the 60-65C range. Unfortunately, I can’t go any higher without denaturing the enzymes in the malt. To be honest, they were probably not needed anyway, but I wanted to throw everything I had at this to hopefully finally get a good result.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:23 am My mash tun is really cheap 28 liter Igloo cooler. Largest I have at the moment. I assume the temperature loss is due to the smaller size. I light try preheating it with hot water before filling next time. But it stayed in the 140s for a good hour and a half at least, which seems to have worked well enough.
Often those don't have any insulation in the lid (meant for keeping things cold). When I was using a cooler I drilled a few 3/8" holes in it and squirted in spray foam, that dropped my temp loss to less than 2° per hour on 6 gallon batches.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Thanks for that idea, Ben. I’ll try that. Can’t hurt to make the cooler more efficient, whether I’m using it as a mash tun or not.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Do what ever you need to do to hold that corn as close to 180-190°f for as long as needed.
That's where you will see the biggest gains in efficiency.
I mash/ferment 30 gallon screw top HDPE barrels. Two layers of refectix, and two wool blankets wrapped around the barrel sitting on a heating pad insulated off the cement floor, and reflectix and a folded blanket on the top, and I can hold my corn above 180 for 3 hours as it gels and the HT enzymes break it all down. After 3 hours I unwrap it and let the temp start dropping. By hour 6 or 7 it's stratified with a deep layer of clear liquid. Then it's just a waiting game to hit 148 to add the malts, stir, and wait again. Pitch yeast the following morning.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Is there any harm in having the corn at a full boil? I realize the enzymes won’t work at that temperature, but would you get some gelatinization before adding the HTL as it cools?

I cheated and avoided that problem by using malted corn. I read that it tasted better, I got some for a good price, and it made life easier. Win win win in my opinion. But I do want to revisit mashing corn at some point, of course.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've never boiled my corn, because my mashed are too large. If you can keep it from scorching, go for it. Adding milled corn to cold water while stirring will prevent dough balls. Then keeping it moving as you increase the temperature. You can add the enzymes on the way up to a boil so you don't denature them before they work and they will keep the mash thin enough to stir preventing a scorch.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:55 pm Is there any harm in having the corn at a full boil? I realize the enzymes won’t work at that temperature, but would you get some gelatinization before adding the HTL as it cools?
I've done corn that way by steaming it to 200*F or more, as it will gel a little quicker saving time, then waiting for the temp to drop to 180 - 185*F before adding HTL..

Once the mashing time (2 - 2.5) at 180*F is done, then I would cool it down to the 150*F to add the other enzyme.. the nice thing about using steam for mashing, one does not need to insulate..

SS does his corn in an oven at 200*F for awhile.. so there are many methods of mashing corn..

What's important is having sufficient water for the corn to gel before adding the enzyme, finding that balance is the task..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:55 pm Is there any harm in having the corn at a full boil? I realize the enzymes won’t work at that temperature, but would you get some gelatinization before adding the HTL as it cools?
I often use two doses of HTL.
Mix the HTL with cool water, stir in the corn and heat to a boil.
The first "sacrificial" dose of HTL will keep the corn from thickening, but will be denatured by the heat.
After the corn has cooked, cool below 190f add a second dose. :ewink:
Last edited by shadylane on Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I was thinking of just adding boiling water to the corn meal in a cooler. It would presumably stay above the denaturing temperature of HTL for a while, of course. But that way, there’s no risk of scorching.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:26 pm I was thinking of just adding boiling water to the corn meal in a cooler. It would presumably stay above the denaturing temperature of HTL for a while, of course. But that way, there’s no risk of scorching.
That will work, start with more corn and less boiling water.
Then add more boiling water until the final ratio of corn to water is around 2 Lbs per gallon.

There's many ways to skin the cat.
Here's how Pintoshine uses HTL and Gluco.

kerstingm
Novice

Post by kerstingm »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:02 pm
Steve Broady wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:09 pmMy technique:

If I’m using corn, I’ll boil that to gelatinize the starch. I typically put it in the oven to hold at about 200F for 2-3 hours. <— That’s a good process. To reiterate, only the corn needs this process.

Next I bring the temperature down to 150F by adding cold water/ice, after which I’ll add any cooked grains, barley, or enzymes. I’ll put that in the oven at 170F (the lowest my oven will go) to sit for 90-120 minutes.
I’ve also tried just letting it sit on the stove top, and raising the oven temperature to 180F (because at 170 my IR thermometer was reading 143F when I stirred the mash), but I get the same results either way. <— Too hot! You’re denaturing the gluco-amylase enzymes. Don’t hold the temperatures above 150*F.

On the theory that the enzymes should continue to work at room temperature, just more slowly, I’ve also simply let the ferment go longer, up to a month or so. It still failed the iodine test at that point, so I gave up and distilled it. <— OK. So, time helps the enzymes work, provided you haven’t denatured them already (see comment above).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe I’m just asking for too much out of my setup. <— It’s not “the equipment” failing here. It’s your brewing skills. Some time spent on a homebrew website forum might actually help you a lot.
So, gelatinization of the corn is critical to its conversion. Always mill your corn to a moderately fine cornmeal (not flour) but well ground to a cornmeal consistency. Your technique for gelatinization sounds good (I use the oven set at 200*F for 2-3 hours too). That time allows me to get the mash water to proper “strike temperature” for the barley malts and other grains.

Then, I dough the malts in into the mash tun, and then mix in the “corn pudding” from the oven, being careful to keep the temperature of the mash mix at 148-152*F. I use hot or cold water to adjust as necessary to manage the temperatures. But I hold the temperature consistent, stirring regularly, until I get a negative iodine test. This can take an hour, two, or more. You’ve got to be patient with this. It’s your duty as a brewer. Some distillers even wrap their fermenters in insulation and “tuck it in for night”, giving the mash 4 to 8 hours to convert. The “pay off” will be discovered in your boiler when you run it.

Time … it’s not just something that passes … it’s the foundation of your future!
ss
So you're saying this conversation can take a lot longer than an hour? I'm having problems with my all grain mashes not thinning like what I see with straight cracked corn and amylase and sugar mashes. I just made my 1st using high temp amylase
24lbs cracked corn, 6lbs malted red wheat. After adding in two teaspoons of high temp amylase within seconds my mash started to thin. After adding my malted Wheat it thickened back up and still hasn't thinned out, I'm 4 hours in After adding. Do I continue to hold the 145/150 temp till I get full conversion?