My first everything !

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

JLP IV
Bootlegger

My first everything !

Post by JLP IV »

Got a cheap carport to set up for stillin over the weekend.
I have not done a run yet. But this weekend I'm doing a vinegar run, sacrificial run with some turbo/sugar, and mashing my first 36gal of 100% corn.
I plan to follow Pintoshines video to the letter.

I feel confident with the knowledge I have gained and now only need to do the deed !
Hope yinz don't mind, I'd like to document it all here.
Attachments
20220831_195640.jpg
20220831_200227.jpg
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first everything !

Post by Nokum Stiff »

Looking good!
The only one thing Id like to point out...(sry..its a firefighter thing...lol)...since you're using propane, make sure you ventilate the carport every so often. We would hate to hear anything about carbon monoxide poisoning.
Just watching your 6 my friend! Good luck with the run!

---Stiff
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Appreciate the concern
Carport Is mainly for storage. I'll do runs at the front either just outside, or just inside (during rain or winter)
Flap will always be open during propane burning
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

First sugar wash is bubbling, I'm excited for this weekend !
Also let introduce you to one of my still hands. Her name is Sassafras and she's just as sweet as can be <3
Attachments
received_793841925080554.jpeg
received_3183062218622256.jpeg
20220901_184246.jpg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Good looking still JLPIV! Pictures can be misleading but it looks like you could make a longer Liebig in the future to get away from that burner. Just be safe. I’m digging the carport. Nice and tight.
36 gallons of 100% corn. Way to grab the Bull by the horns while at the same time jumping into the deep end! :thumbup: good to see you’ve been reading. All the info is here and Pintoshine is one of my heroes, you’re well on your way my Brotha. Looking forward to the updates.
Oh and here’s my vote for Sassafras being the official mascot of the HD :wink:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Been at 187/190f for an hour n a half, still lots of starch.
Mashing 65 lbs of corn (fresh ground into a finer course meal) into 39.5 gal of water. So 1.8 lbs of corn per gallon
23.4 ml of htl
Corn went into water cold with the htl.
Getting a bit into my head about it now
Attachments
20220903_185856.jpg
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Last test was at 8:30
I just tested starch again at 8:45
Big difference ! I think I'll be happy at 9pm !
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

20220904_040833.jpg
Guys, I aint slept a wink all night. I'm so excited !
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The fist sip of hearts cut is the best first. Like a proud dad moment.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Deplorable I am absolutely stoked !
20220903_231551.jpg
20220903_231539.jpg
Same thing today, corns grinding right now. Going with a finer grind today.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

JLP IV wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:48 pm Last test was at 8:30
Patience JLP. Don’t measure success with your clock. In the end, what goes into the fermenter will “smile on you”. Live with it and it will live with you.

So many distillers miss this part of our process —> brewing. But it is the foundation of this hobby. Drink it in … and you’ll drink in the the rewards of your effort.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:33 pm
JLP IV wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:48 pm Last test was at 8:30
Patience JLP. Don’t measure success with your clock. In the end, what goes into the fermenter will “smile on you”. Live with it and it will live with you.

So many distillers miss this part of our process —> brewing. But it is the foundation of this hobby. Drink it in … and you’ll drink in the the rewards of your effort.
ss
+1
Take care of the mash, and take very good care of the ferment, and you'll be rewarded at the end of the condenser. Just like cooking, you can't rush any aspect of this hobby and expect good results. Take good notes as you begin your journey JLP, and you'll overcome the learning curve quickly.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Wise words friends. I do need to slow down a bit more. And so I will.
I'm writing notes down for sure. And I cant tell yall how many pages here I've got book marked and keep going over.

Ok. An honest review of the mistakes I made during my two mashes this weekend.
First mash -
Corn was not ground fine enough
After we put the wort chiller into the mash to cool to yeast pitching temps it of course got nice n hot on the exit. Worm clamp was not tight enough and it slipped off spraying hot ass water all over my helper. He got a nice burn mark.
To fix this and make sure it never happens again we removed all clamps and wrapped ptfe on the copper so the clamp had more to bite into. The ptfe will be regularly watched and regularly changed.
Nothing to bad but I wasn't happy with my estimated 6%. I'm aiming for 8%
Also. Haphazardly having to many things everywhere ! The site was straightened up and way more streamlined for the second mash.
Also pretty sure I found out to much iodine will stay purple in the starch test even with a great conversion. No dropper in the bottle I bought. Dropper was added and the starch test went much better.

Second mash the corn was ground perfectly. I had an issue with the burner not burning properly. Temps only got to 183/185 range. Starch test was a go at 1hr though. And I let the temps fall till I added the GL at 150f.

However I was so frazzled about the new burner not working properly my mind was 99% on that. So I got out the manual and trouble shot. Turns out the air needed to be turned down when first starting, then turned up once burning properly.
Lesson learned and it will be done so from now on.
However after the yeast was pitched and the mash was transferred to my fermenter I soon realized that I had forgotten to lower my PH before I added the GL !
DOH
Yeast wasn't taking off. I quickly threw my paddle back Into the mash and added 5.2 adjuster and another round of gl. Better later than never at this point I figured. No time at the time do do some reading.
Last time I checked it the yeast was going off.
Im fully prepared for whatever consequence may occurs as a result of this.

So that's my next research/reading assignment for tonight. Also before my next mash next weekend I'm going to have a big check list posted up right by the still so I dont forget something so stupidly again.

And I got a potential 6% even with the first gl addition ruined.

So I'm not happy with either run so far. I am happier with a potential 6% rather than a 10% though so there is that

Next weekend = 1 single mash. Done perfectly this time ! And I WILL hit the 8% I'm looking for.

All in all I'm happy. Yeah I was sure excited and make a couple mistakes. But they are all accounted for and fixed in my mind and on paper so they never happen again.
I loves the knowledge flooding into brain from all the reading previous to doing the mash and I never felt anything was out of control.

EXCITED to run the still next week and get whatever I get. And more excited knowing the mash next weekend will be 100% on point every step of the way.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Don't be disappointed if your mash isn't ready to run next weekend. Give it longer and you'll have an easier time
squeezing, and IMHO a better tasting product if you give the yeast time to clean up after their drunken party.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Noted, and thank you.

There will be no squeezing for me though. I plan to degas then rack once it settles. I'll hang the spent grains in a paint bag to drip out whatever wants to. I'm not to concerned about getting every last drop when I can just make some more
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I am a bit confused. You say you mashed at about 185 for an hour, did a starch test and then cooled and added GL. Just cooking at 185 only gelatinizes the starch, it does not convert it. Unless you added high temp enzymes you would have had no conversion until after the GL is added.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

The HTL goes in with the corn when the water is still cold. Guess I should have clearly stated that. I was only focusing on the mistakes I made in that post
20220905_090036.jpg
20220905_090047.jpg
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Ok life is good. I thought your pictures looked like you had HTL, as it was not porridge.

Bubbling away and making alcohol, happy yeast. Nice job and nice job sharing
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

First batch with the cracked corn.
20220909_154752.jpg
Second batch probably a few days left on this one. It's cleared alot but is still bubbling.
20220909_154746.jpg
Third batch got some corn oil on this batch. I'm excited !
20220909_154735.jpg
20220909_154730.jpg
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Can't wait to fill a barrel ! Ahhhhhhh :shh:
I'm torn between a 5 and a 10 gallon right now. Most likely go for the 10.
Also so very nice the Gibbs brothers updated and streamlined their website.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

First stripping run ! We getting there now boys !! :lol:
20220916_171613.jpg
20220916_190131.jpg
20220916_190140.jpg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Lookin’ good. I’m trying to figure out your condenser water supply though. Is that valve on your supply line or drain line?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Thanks I'm sooo excited !

If that's a question you really are asking you need to do some more reading sir :wink:

Cold water in at the output, hot water out the top
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Haha, that was definitely a baited question.
Do you have a limited supply of cooling water?
I’ve never controlled flow at my PC condenser. I have heard of it though.

The only reason I could think to do so would be to save water :think:
But I’m an ignorant SOB.
-Thomas Paine
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

I've seen folks put it on both input and output. So I'm just gonna try both to see how I prefer it.

I'm on a well. 400ft deep and the water starts at 150ft. I'm keeping the output section cool, but as you travel your hand up the arm it gets quite warm

And it's so much easier to control water at the still instead of running back n forth to the spigot
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I think the main reason for putting at the input side is to negate any pressure/leaking problems. Other than pressure issues everything I’ve read really just boils down to personal preference. I’ve always had my valve on the outlet side so that my pre condenser stays full. Again just personal preference.

I’m happy for you man. I still get all jittery and excited when running my rig :thumbup:
-Thomas Paine
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Thanks stone ! I appreciate ya stopping by !
NFA (~) ;}
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Pulled 3gal from 12gal. Smells amazing 👏
Second round strip I already heating up
20220916_210854.jpg
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I thought I felt a movement in the force last night while playing cards w/ my buddies... Like a fellow Pennsylvania "brewer" was conjuring spirits!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Sure did Duck ! Hey I'm a hold em poker player myself.

My first mash I made has what I 99% believe is a lactic infection. Doesn't that make me even more excited
20220918_134813.jpg
Lots of corn oil on the very last mash I've done
20220918_134824.jpg
And a few jars from last night I'm about to mix up and take down to 80 proof
20220918_134744.jpg
2 gall of tails and the first few of heads dumped in em as well. I'm taking more after cuts
20220918_134756.jpg