I suck at this. Samohon build.

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rbsc
Bootlegger

I suck at this. Samohon build.

Post by rbsc »

Stupid noob question here. I’m a terrible handyman. Everyone says two inch column and a two inch 90 degree elbow. Well, I got those. I got the elbow that looks to be kind of flared out on each end, assuming that part was slightly bigger so that it would slide over a two inch pipe. But it doesn’t. It doesn’t fit over the two inch couple, either. Did I get the wrong size? I’m lost. TIA.
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: I suck at this. Samohon build.

Post by cob »

What country are you located? Pictures might help. A better description also might help.
be water my friend
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

In the US. Can’t seem to figure out how to upload pictures from my iPhone but I’ll keep trying
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Assuming you're working with US copper pipe 2" fittings (elbows and couplings) fit over 2" pipe. The pipe isn't always perfectly round and may take some coercion to go inside. Make sure there aren't any burrs on the pipe if you used a saw or angle grinder to cut it.

The fittings are normally cup x cup (c x c), but there are fitting x cup (ftg x c) out there. Cup ends fit over a pipe, fitting ends fit inside a fitting.

Your description sounds like you have normal c x c elbows and you just need to prove you are more stubborn than the pieces. They should go together with hand pressure if you wiggle, twist, push, cuss, repeat (no hammer needed) if the ends are clean. A little bevel on the end of the pipe may help.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Keeps uploading upside down but hopefully this helps. So, column actually at top
Attachments
Column at bottom.  Then elbow, then two inch coupler.
Column at bottom. Then elbow, then two inch coupler.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

That looks like you have c x c fittings the pipe should fit in the el with sufficient persuasion.

You'll need a short piece of pipe between the el and the coupling. A ftg x c el would have an end that would fit in coupling. A little over 2" piece of pipe should make a minimal gap between the el and coupling and you can solder both at once if they're cleaned and fluxed properly. If you want to solder them separately use a longer piece.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Have you got a short section of pipe between your coupler (socket) and 90? It looks like the column looks like it should fit inside the 90, as said check its round, bevel and lubricate with flux if required
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

elbono wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:43 pm That looks like you have c x c fittings the pipe should fit in the el with sufficient persuasion.

You'll need a short piece of pipe between the el and the coupling. A ftg x c el would have an end that would fit in coupling. A little over 2" piece of pipe should make a minimal gap between the el and coupling and you can solder both at once if they're cleaned and fluxed properly. If you want to solder them separately use a longer piece.
I can see getting the column end in the elbow. But the other end of the elbow lines up perfectly with what I’m calling the coupler. No way it will fit. But from your response it sounds like I am picturing this wrong. I thought the piece I had on the other (non column) side of the elbow was a couple piece for the next step. Am I wrong?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

If you cut the pipe with a rotating pipe cutter the cutting wheel displaces copper at the

cut expanding the diameter. Use a straight edge to confirm a lip on the outside of the pipe.

file the lip off if it is present.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Both Sporicle and elbono have a answered why the coupling and Elbow won't fit together together . You need to cut a short section of pipe and use it to join the Elbow and coupler . That's what we all do.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:59 pm Both Sporicle and elbono have a answered why the coupling and Elbow won't fit together together . You need to cut a short section of pipe and use it to join the Elbow and coupler . That's what we all do.
+1
You need to cut a "pup" to put between the two.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Thanks so much, everyone. Clearly I don’t know what I’m doing but enjoying the process. Needed to shorten this column, anyway.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

rbsc wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:22 pm I don’t know what I’m doing but enjoying the process.
It's not about knowing, but learning and adapting. A plan is a list of things that ain't gonna happen to get to a goal, getting there anyway is the where the rubber meets the road.
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

elbono wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 pm
rbsc wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:22 pm I don’t know what I’m doing but enjoying the process.
It's not about knowing, but learning and adapting. A plan is a list of things that ain't gonna happen to get to a goal, getting there anyway is the where the rubber meets the road.
Absolutely. Just had a small victory thanks to this thread. The keg connector I bought didn’t fit, either. I’ve been trying to sand the damn thing down for three days. But y’all talking about filing the pipe made me realize it would be much easier to sand the pipe instead. Took about 30 minutes and now the thing fits like a glove. Small step but feels great.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done .You're off and running. :thumbup:
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Why are you using a coupling after the 90??
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:04 pm Well done .You're off and running. :thumbup:
Thank you!
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Windy City wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:32 pm Why are you using a coupling after the 90??
You know. I’m not sure. I’m going off Samohon original post combined with a guy on here who did his own version, and I think it’s causing some confusion. And after reading all of the above I think you’re right. I can go elbow to two inch pipe section to two inch to one inch reducer. Is that what you meant?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Experience is the thing you get just after you need it...

It gets easier, being able to fit and solder pipe is a nice homeowner skill, worth learning. It might be worth while for you to go pick up some 1/2" pipe and fittings, learn to cut and solder on it since it's much less expensive. This stuff can always be heated and pulled back apart to use for other things later on.
:)
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Hate that they deleted the post from whoever that was, can’t remember the user name. Had a link they don’t allow, which is fair, but sure would have liked to have been able to reply to the rest of it.
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Ben wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:56 am Experience is the thing you get just after you need it...

It gets easier, being able to fit and solder pipe is a nice homeowner skill, worth learning. It might be worth while for you to go pick up some 1/2" pipe and fittings, learn to cut and solder on it since it's much less expensive. This stuff can always be heated and pulled back apart to use for other things later on.
Excellent advice, thanks!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

rbsc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:26 am Hate that they deleted the post from whoever that was, can’t remember the user name. Had a link they don’t allow, which is fair, but sure would have liked to have been able to reply to the rest of it.
Yeah that was my bad. I was focusing more on the photo than where it came from. If you Google Image the term 'Pot Still Head', you'll see plenty of good examples including the pic I was referencing too.
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:39 am
rbsc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:26 am Hate that they deleted the post from whoever that was, can’t remember the user name. Had a link they don’t allow, which is fair, but sure would have liked to have been able to reply to the rest of it.
Yeah that was my bad. I was focusing more on the photo than where it came from. If you Google Image the term 'Pot Still Head', you'll see plenty of good examples including the pic I was referencing too.
Thing is I really liked that build. I’ll find it later but that might mean I have to ask more questions!
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

rbsc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:46 am
Windy City wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:32 pm Why are you using a coupling after the 90??
You know. I’m not sure. I’m going off Samohon original post combined with a guy on here who did his own version, and I think it’s causing some confusion. And after reading all of the above I think you’re right. I can go elbow to two inch pipe section to two inch to one inch reducer. Is that what you meant?
Or you could get a 2” fitting (male) x 1” cup (female) reducer and make it all short and clean.
Install a 1” sweat union and then your 90 to your Liebig and you will have versatility on your angle of your Liebig
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

This is my first still I ever built.
Very much off of Samohan’s design
Attachments
2E182A2F-9262-4871-B1D6-95EDE0BDB5F2.jpeg
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:51 pm
Or you could get a 2” fitting (male) x 1” cup (female) reducer and make it all short and clean.
Install a 1” sweat union and then your 90 to your Liebig and you will have versatility on your angle of your Liebig
So I think what you’re describing is close to what Salt posted (post was removed). I’m posting pic here with no link in hopes that doesn’t break any rules. I actually love this build and would love to do it. Just not sure I know how since there are no plans posted as there are for Samohon. Yours looks amazing so if you happen to have the plans written out I would love to see them. Thanks!
Attachments
DFF089D5-6DA2-4C72-A8AA-1636B89AB3C2.jpeg
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

rbsc wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 am
So I think what you’re describing is close to what Salt posted (post was removed). I’m posting pic here with no link in hopes that doesn’t break any rules. I actually love this build and would love to do it. Just not sure I know how since there are no plans posted as there are for Samohon. Yours looks amazing so if you happen to have the plans written out I would love to see them. Thanks!
I totally understand it can appear confusing at first if you do not have much experience with fittings. That's just a male reducer soldered into that 2" elbow (male 2" reduced to a smaller female). Then there's a short piece of copper pipe solder in to join the reducer to a Union. There's a Street Elbow (male on one end and female on the other end). That elbow is soldered directly to the Liebig Condenser. If you loosen that Union it will allow you to pivot the Liebig at any angle and tighten it with a wrench. You can also completely remove the Liebig. Many prefer to use Tri-Clamp ferrules for this joint because it requires no tools.

The exact size of the fittings will be determined by the size of pipes you use to build the Liebig Condenser. By the way, I've seen those 2" reducers on eBay before. Just read the description carefully and check the listed dimensions to be sure it's just like the one in that photo. I made my Liebig with 1" copper pipe over 3/4" copper pipe. Many also use 3/4" over 1/2". I made mine just over 4' long for lots of knockdown power in comparison to a shorter one.

You might want to get yourself a pipe cutter to make cutting pipe easier. You could just use a hack saw & a file, but pipe cutters are really convenient. Always use Silver Solder. With copper, I tend to always use paste flux. I only use liquid flux when soldering to stainless steel.
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:57 am
rbsc wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 am

I totally understand it can appear confusing at first if you do not have much experience with fittings. That's just a male reducer soldered into that 2" elbow (male 2" reduced to a smaller female). Then there's a short piece of copper pipe solder in to join the reducer to a Union. There's a Street Elbow (male on one end and female on the other end). That elbow is soldered directly to the Liebig Condenser. If you loosen that Union it will allow you to pivot the Liebig at any angle and tighten it with a wrench. You can also completely remove the Liebig. Many prefer to use Tri-Clamp ferrules for this joint because it requires no tools.

The exact size of the fittings will be determined by the size of pipes you use to build the Liebig Condenser. By the way, I've seen those 2" reducers on eBay before. Just read the description carefully and check the listed dimensions to be sure it's just like the one in that photo. I made my Liebig with 1" copper pipe over 3/4" copper pipe. Many also use 3/4" over 1/2". I made mine just over 4' long for lots of knockdown power in comparison to a shorter one.

You might want to get yourself a pipe cutter to make cutting pipe easier. You could just use a hack saw & a file, but pipe cutters are really convenient. Always use Silver Solder. With copper, I tend to always use paste flux. I only use liquid flux when soldering to stainless steel.
Thank you so much. I’m still a little lost but this is extremely helpful for sure. Yesterday my goal was to figure out how to cut two inch pipe. The piece I got was 24 inches so had plenty to practice with. It went well except I sliced the hell out of my finger! Lesson learned.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

It looks like this reducer would work assuming you're going to use 1/2". It lists the dimensions so you should be able to easily confirm for yourself. Here's one 2"x3/4".

Here's another 2"x1/2", but the pic isn't of the actual fitting so I don't know if it will look the way you want it look. Appearance won't affect the function, but I'd prefer it to look like the one in the pic you listed.

When you're looking for reducers, FTG x C means the FTG end is the same outer diameter as copper pipe. The C end is the slightly flared end that copper pipe fits into. So 2"x1/2" FTGxC means ... 2" FTG x 1/2" C. I usually refer to them as male & female because there's only two :ewink: You could use a CxC reducer, but it will require a piece of your 2" pipe to join them together. The one in your pic uses a FTG x C reducer.
rbsc
Bootlegger

Post by rbsc »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:07 am It looks like this reducer would work assuming you're going to use 1/2". It lists the dimensions so you should be able to easily confirm for yourself. Here's one 2"x3/4".

Here's another 2"x1/2", but the pic isn't of the actual fitting so I don't know if it will look the way you want it look. Appearance won't affect the function, but I'd prefer it to look like the one in the pic you listed.

When you're looking for reducers, FTG x C means the FTG end is the same outer diameter as copper pipe. The C end is the slightly flared end that copper pipe fits into. So 2"x1/2" FTGxC means ... 2" FTG x 1/2" C. I usually refer to them as male & female because there's only two :ewink: You could use a CxC reducer, but it will require a piece of your 2" pipe to join them together. The one in your pic uses a FTG x C reducer.
You guys are amazing. I guess I was going to do whatever size Liebig the Samohon plans called for, but now that I’m liking this one so much more I’ll have to start over and research what size works best with it. Either way I’m learning so much from y’all.